PDA

View Full Version : Which of Moe's Box plans should I use?

Fastr
06-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I am going to skip on Alpine's box recomendation for ported (as suggested by someone in a previous post) and build one of Moe's boxes.
(I have the single 12" Type-R running on a Kenwood X-10 @ 600rms. Currently in a 1.3 ft/3 Sealed box)

What is the difference between using a 1.75 ft/3 @ 32Hz vs a 2.0 ft/3 @ 32Hz vs 2.5 ft/3 @ 32Hz?
Would one be tighter or one be louder?
I only play my 12" from 60hz and down (my CDT 6x9 subs handle 80hz and up very nicely). I want to boost the low end output of this sub. I was thinking about a box around the 2 ft/3 @ 29-30Hz. Is this too low for this sub to play?

Thanks again for your advice!

IgnoreMe
06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
with 600 watts i would go with a 2.5 @ 32hz. that would be the most efficient box for it.

is this the 05 model with the ribbed surround? if so my friend had his off about 2k watts in roughly 2 cubes @ 32hz and it was nice as heck. i have read that people reccomend that extra .5 cube.

the difference between those boxes, is the bigger you get the more efficiency you get. but also, you start to change the sound somwhat. a smaller box generally yields a tighter response, but you also loose efficiency. i think you would be happy with a 2-2.5 @ 32hz box. especialy since your coming from a sealed box. should notice a nice gain in output.

i also suggest getting more power for that sub (if its a 05 model)

you can tune to 29-30hz as well. itll give you more low end, but were talking a marginal difference that you might or might not notice. most people agree that anything below 30hz is pointless due to cabin gain

tapout
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
sell the amp and put 1k on it?

Fastr
06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the response. Ill try one of the 32Hz plans then.(Yes, my sub is the newer one.)
My sub in a sealed box with a clean 600 watts has more than enough punch to give me a headache quickly and make all the mirrors useless. I don't need anymore power than I have, I just want more bottom end without losing too much SQ.

IgnoreMe
06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the response. Ill try one of the 32Hz plans then.(Yes, my sub is the newer one.)
My sub in a sealed box with a clean 600 watts has more than enough punch to give me a headache quickly and make all the mirrors useless. I don't need anymore power than I have, I just want more bottom end without losing too much SQ.

if 600 is more than enough for you and all you want to do is add bottom end, i would tune to 30hz or so (like i said 32hz wont be THAT much of a difference, so either way) and use the 2.5 cube design. lowering the frequency AND adding more volume usually makes for a low end monster.

and if your happy with sealed, you should be even more happy with ported. people do have different tastes though, so if you dont like this box, try a different one. test test test :)

Fastr
06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Excellent, thats what I'll try. Actually the box I built is sealed with .8 ft/3. It pounds hard and is very clean, but the low end is a little weak. I just threw it in an old pre-fabbed 1.3 ft/3 box for a trial, it goes a little lower but the box sux.. Ill build a good ported box and give it a try. If need be I'll experiment with a couple of them.
(I am a MFG Engineer, so you know I love to build stuff just for something to do :naughty: )
Heres a pic of my .8 box (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238338)

IgnoreMe
06-14-2007, 12:39 AM
nice box! done know if i mentioned it, but adding volume and lowering frequency can inhibit upper end response (at least in SUV's). i didnt say it cause you said your mids go low anyways, but i figure you should still know.