PDA

View Full Version : Man, Am I torn!!! Input appreciated!

onefastsi
06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok...So, some of you might know, but I'm looking for a new source unit. SQ is my priority, but I also want something functional for what I need. My choices so far that I've narrowed it down to:

1. Eclipse CD7000 w/iPod and GPS units
2. Eclipse CD7100: love the 8 volts!
3. Clarion DRZ9255: just sooo ****!
4. Alpine X001: I like this for the iPod compatiblity and function...and figure I don't need a CD player if I have 7000 songs on an iPod! But, not sure how it compares in SQ vs. the rest.

Money in this group is no issue, unless the extra cost doesn't bear the rewards. Cost vs. performance is a key factor.

Thanks for any input!!

jmanpc
06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
drz9255... amazing sq h/u

Babs
06-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I second that.. The DRZ9255 is in a completely different league altogether. The dacs, the chassis, the processing, the external power supply. It's the Krell of head units, with no real competition except the P9 or external processing with a DVD head unit firing optical into an H701.

If CD audio SQ is your thing, the 9255 gets my vote.

The 7100 has some fans around here as well for a 2nd alternative.. I wonder about the 7100 vs the 7000 as to what improvements were made.

The X001 has good dacs and very ipod friendly but no TA, and minimal EQ and crossovers, which is a shame.. They reeeeeeally need an X002 with the 9255's brains and component quality.. or at least an optical out version that would drive an H701.

If you can hang for a while, I'm waiting on a CDA-9887 which is supposed to be Alpine's SQ audio unit, not counting the F1.

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Ok...now, the CDA9887 seems to be out...and it's cheap! $399?? Am I looking at the right thing??

This info has been great! I wish I could get the X001 with the details of the 9255! oh well, I think it's down to these 2 regardless, SQ over good sound and convenience.

Thanks and any additional input is welcome.

Tonyguy
06-12-2007, 12:49 PM
you could always get the x001 and get some external processing i.e. an audiocontrol unit.:fyi:

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
you could always get the x001 and get some external processing i.e. an audiocontrol unit.:fyi:

For instance? I have a few old audiocontrol pieces...EQL and EPI Center, what would I be looking for additional?

Tonyguy
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
i meant something along the lines of the dqs or dqxs.

denim
06-12-2007, 02:07 PM
8 volts!

JonJT
06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Those extra volts the 7100 provide mean nothng. Only consider the 7100 if has features you actually want.

Babs
06-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok...now, the CDA9887 seems to be out...

Out where? I think Australia maybe.. Not in the states yet unless maybe the full-boat retail-installers have them.

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
oops, my bad, i searched cd9887

ccotenj
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
i like my x001...

granted, it doesn't have near the adjustability features of some other units (and yes, it would be nice if a x002 came out that had them), but the sq *doesn't *****, and the convenience factor (especially if you travel a lot, like i do) of grabbing your ipod instead of 100 or so cd's can't be beat... for me personally, the convenience factor (when you add in the ipod interface paired with a 5th gen ipod) won out over being able to get the last bit of sq that a bunch of features would add...

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
i like my x001...

granted, it doesn't have near the adjustability features of some other units (and yes, it would be nice if a x002 came out that had them), but the sq *doesn't *****, and the convenience factor (especially if you travel a lot, like i do) of grabbing your ipod instead of 100 or so cd's can't be beat... for me personally, the convenience factor (when you add in the ipod interface paired with a 5th gen ipod) won out over being able to get the last bit of sq that a bunch of features would add...

Thanks for the info. What other units have you used? And how does the X001 compare? Just the 24 bit should outplay my Rockford! :) And save me 300 or so vs. the Clarion...I hate buying stuff!! :verymad:

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Here's a question....

can you run the X001 into a PXA-H701 to pick up the last bit of real SQ processing?

Pickler
06-12-2007, 10:19 PM
i would pick either Eclipse deck just from experience. Have never tried a clarion, but I thought eclipse beat alpine hands down.

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
i would pick either Eclipse deck just from experience. Have never tried a clarion, but I thought eclipse beat alpine hands down.

I have used eclipse in the past...can't remember which one, but it was a nice unit. I've had Denon, and Nakamichi as well.

My first ever CD player was a Clarion...when CD's first came out for cars. It cost somewhere over $300 bucks, which would translate to about $90 today! :)

Babs
06-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Here's a question....

can you run the X001 into a PXA-H701 to pick up the last bit of real SQ processing?

Would be an awesome combo IF the X001 had an optical out to send digital to the 701 but it doesn't.
You could probably send analog to the 701 but it defeats the purpose of those nice dac's in both.

D to A to D to A = signal degradation

...Though that very thing is what I'm considering with an OEM unit like the PXE-H650 or MS-8 or 3sixty.2. But to me, an X001 type of non-cd power-ipod controller with the H701 would be killer.. NO moving parts to die on you.

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Would be an awesome combo IF the X001 had an optical out to send digital to the 701 but it doesn't.
You could probably send analog to the 701 but it defeats the purpose of those nice dac's in both.

D to A to D to A = signal degradation

...Though that very thing is what I'm considering with an OEM unit like the PXE-H650 or MS-8 or 3sixty.2. But to me, an X001 type of non-cd power-ipod controller with the H701 would be killer.. NO moving parts to die on you.

I've pretty much narrowed it to the X001 and the 9255. I don't know if the extra SQ would really matter going with the 9255 or even the 701 vs. what I have now. It's the voltage that I'll miss. I'm running 9 volts now...very powerful vs. anything I've ever used. But...how much SQ I'll pick up is the issue that I'm after.

Thanks. Just making sure I can live without a CD player...or without the xtra nidge of SQ :)

Babs
06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
The thing you would gain in the 9255 is the time alignment and that last step-up in dac processing.. The dac's alone and the external power supply would probably be audible.. However, if you've not had time alignment (properly tuned), it will sell you... Helps to eliminate the phasing issues with the typically less-than optimal speaker placements in cars. I'm planning on just a two-way upfront, and I still want time alignment between the tweets and mids as well as the sub.. It's a significant thing to have. Plus the crossover is superb.. Up there with the p9 pioneer.

If the X001 had that.. I'd be all over it.

As far as output signal voltage or quality goes, I'd place bets anyday on the 9255 as well.. The preamp as well as the dac's is top-notch, high-end. The external DC/DC power supply uses some big toroidial chokes to supply the unit.. It's a beast.. but yeah, it's pretty much CD only unless you can hook an ipod through the CeNet running analog.. But I wouldn't sweat that.. There are some super high-end iPod dac/opamps out there to provide audiophile quality output from ipods as well.. (running lossless I'm sure would be best). Installation would be a little more indepth though as you install the power supply somewhat like an external amp with a fat line from battery and ground, I believe.

Build quality also.... twice the weight of the x001, granted there's also a supreme cd player in that weight. Copper chassis, etc.

Except for maybe the P9 or the F1 alpine.. nothing touches the 9255. Not even the 700ii Nak.. Though the player/preamp section of the nak is very close.. but no processing.. and more $$

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that info. kinda what I've been looking for. details! Are you talking the REDWINE upgrade for the ipod? And the Pod's plug into the 9255 don't they? I thought there was a port/plug for it on the front?

Thanks for the info.

Babs
06-13-2007, 11:46 AM
yeah that's one ipod mod I've seen.. There's another dac/preamp thing here:
http://www.hippohifi.com/index.html

... That one appears to require post volume control though, so it would be a decent choice for running through analog auxilary L/R that receives post volume control. Advantage: It works with a stock iPod.. Disadvantage: It's an extra box, if that matters.

But we digress.

If you end up with a 9255.. I wanna see pics! :)

I still wouldn't rule out the 7100 though.. It appears to be a great unit, if the 9255 blows the budget. If you're iPod heavy though.. You may still wish to sacrifice time alignment and crossovers for just slick easy use of your ipod though with the x001.. I personally can live with the use of CD's with a head unit that sounds spectacular though.

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
The budget it fine...just making sure I get the most bang for the buck, and get what's ideal for me. I do like the iPod function of the X001 ALOT! am I hooked on the Pod? no. I have millions of discs. would it be nice to not have to carry CD's? hell yes! but...it the hundreds more for the 9255 and what comes with that money that matters....

Babs
06-13-2007, 04:33 PM
The budget it fine...just making sure I get the most bang for the buck, and get what's ideal for me. I do like the iPod function of the X001 ALOT! am I hooked on the Pod? no. I have millions of discs. would it be nice to not have to carry CD's? hell yes! but...it the hundreds more for the 9255 and what comes with that money that matters....

Indeed.. bang for the buck.

My personal choice. I'll bet you can do pretty much all the same with the CDA-9887 when it gets here, plus a cd if you wish, and a far cry better SQ than the IDA due to the processing control. For $399 with burr-browns, DTA, X-overs, Imprint / Audassey auto-calibration (with the alpine tool), iPod control, bluetooth capable, etc.. Hard to beat. It will let me go completely active with front stage and a sub without passive crossovers.. Add five amp channels and drivers and I'm done.. Oh, well, plus an iPod.. I don't currently have one. :)

NYR36
06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I read the title and thought you got *** raped. Ive also failed to read anything in this thread besides the title

LOL

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Indeed.. bang for the buck.

My personal choice. I'll bet you can do pretty much all the same with the CDA-9887 when it gets here, plus a cd if you wish, and a far cry better SQ than the IDA due to the processing control. For $399 with burr-browns, DTA, X-overs, Imprint / Audassey auto-calibration (with the alpine tool), iPod control, bluetooth capable, etc.. Hard to beat. It will let me go completely active with front stage and a sub without passive crossovers.. Add five amp channels and drivers and I'm done.. Oh, well, plus an iPod.. I don't currently have one. :)

Whoa! slow down...what unit are you talking $399?? the X001?

Babs
06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
$399 is the CDA-9887 (the one that's not out yet)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aKgT1IpkaJk/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=cda%2D9887&i=500CDA9887

... expected soon but no real date.. The other similar Imprint processor the PXE-H650 should be here any time, so I imagine the 9887 hopefully won't be far behind.. They've already got 'em in Australia.

To clarify: Alpine is releasing two "IMPRINT" products that use Audessey processing that Denon's been using in their home AVR's for a while now.. and apparantly it's pretty darn good for auto eq and delay calibration. The H650 is an oem integration processor similar but in some respects better than the H701. The 9887 is this technology in a standalone head unit. Also, the head unit will have another "part" for calibration that includes mike and hookup and a CD-R.. The H650 processor apparently includes it.

Crutchfield's description starts with "Alpine's best-sounding CD receiver..." which I guess is so considering the F1 is technically a DVD receiver. So this unit is apparently Alpine's new "flagship" cd player, if that's the right term to use.

General features:
» CD receiver with built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (except Digital Rights-protected files)
» fold-down, detachable face with a 2-line BioLite text display
» remote control

Audio features:
» 24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter
» digital signal processor includes a 7-band equalizer (switchable to 5-band parametric mode), 6-channel digital time alignment, and high- and low-pass filters
» Alpine's Imprint MultiEQ sound tuning technology (requires an external tuning module)

Expandability:
» compatible with: Alpine Bluetooth® adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio™ tuner, CD changer
» inputs: optional iPod control, optional aux input
» outputs: three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs (subwoofer output has bass level control)

It's featured in Alpine's big RLS show-car as well.. Supposed to be an absolute beast.
.. Also, what it doesn't tell you is that the crossover is either a 2 way or a 3 way (low pass, band pass, high pass) so if you want you can go active with components upfront in a 3-way system.. like I'm going to do.

Babs
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry for all the detail..
Actually both the IDA-X001 and the CDA-9887 are $399

Not sure about one thing though..
If the 9887 reads iPod (digital) then converts it, or analog?
Pretty sure that's the strength of the X001.
Everything else is pretty much in favor of the 9887, except no moving parts in X001.

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 08:01 PM
You know...you just need to stop! I'm no further along that I was 2 days ago! Except I've narrowed it to "3" units now! Thanks! :wow:

Babs
06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
hehehehe sorry
:cool:

onefastsi
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah sure you are! :)

Babs
06-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Here's a review with some pics of the clarion unit...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2586

Pg1 initial review with pics is good.. but it gets loooooong after that.
Enough to see it's not even in the same playing field as those other units.

onefastsi
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Here's a review with some pics of the clarion unit...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2586

Pg1 initial review with pics is good.. but it gets loooooong after that.
Enough to see it's not even in the same playing field as those other units.

Thanks. Now, has anyone heard of Clarion quality issues? I talked to a very good local shop on the Alpine and he said they carried Clarion for a few years, a couple years ago and have had tons of issues with them...He's carried Alpine for a LONG time because of the quality.

any thoughts on this?

Babs
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey to resurrect this one.. We were talkin'...

Can anyone give us some experience as to whether there's an SQ difference in the CD7000 vs. the CD7100 Eclipse units?

Is the 7100 any improvement at all in just SQ quality, not counting any additional EQ or other features, but just the pure signal SQ from playing a CD... Looks like the DAC's are the same, and though the outputs are bumped slightly, the 7000 is adequate.. Infact, though discontinued.. the 7000 looks like a seriously nice unit with a few out there for sale still.

onefastsi
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
speaking of resurecting. I think I'm going with the Alpine. I never had TA or 24 bit, so don't know what I'm missing :)

I just love the look of the iDA and the iPod workings.

Babs
06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
hehehehe!!

Somehow I figured you were gonna go that route eventually.
Hey it's a nice unit.. I cannot blame you one bit.. I'll bet it'll sound great with some hi-rez ipod tunes as it's designed to do that.

Plus... no more cd's in the car.. rip 'em and store 'em.. with all your tunes at your fingertips.

bdawson72
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I vote cd7100

Babs
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
With the original money no issue, sq is priority... I maintain my favorite... The DRZ... But heck, someone mail me any of those on the list and I'm their pal forever. hehehe

onefastsi
06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Well...it's home! I just went and picked up my new X001!! man, is this thing ****! What I'll do down the line is add a processor to boost voltage and such if I deem necessary. 2 of the local guys use them in the Shop sponsored cars that they own, and they've won quite a few trophies...granted they have them feeding Dynaudio's :) But hey, it's gotta start somewhere!

I'll do a little write up later on. Gotta go put everything in the iPod and install this badboy before I have a coronary! :)

Babs
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
dig it! Cool.. I wanna see pics and hear about the setup.

Reading Crutchfields Hands On page it says "External Processor Controls: This unit can control an Alpine multi-channel sound processor, such as the PXA-H701 (item number 500PXAH701)."

.... So I wonder if anyone's tried it that can comment.. That might be THE way to bump up the output, and get the processing.. that's one bad-daddy processor though you'd be inputting via analog..

I'd love for you to try it and let me know so I can go get one of each. :) hehehehe

Posed the question in this thread if anyone's tried the IDA / H701 combination:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243134

onefastsi
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
It's in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More coming soon :)