PDA

View Full Version : whats the matter with my crystals?

siuvinson
06-11-2007, 10:44 PM
i'm at a loss here and hopefully someone can help me.

i've got some crystal sscs 6's that i've had installed for about two months. they are powered by an alpine 4ch amp that puts out about 70 per channel at 4 ohms. i'm only giving channel one and two to the speakers...gain is turned half way. please excuse any ignorance, but i'm your typical newb. so the problem...

the other day, i noticed that my passenger side speaker sounds like complete crap. i don't know the technical term for what it sounds like, but if i had to explain it i would say it sounds "garbled". imagine someone singing and gargling at the same time.

i pulled the door panel off today. i inspected the speaker while it was playing music, and while not playing anything. there are no tears or dents or blemishes anywhere to be seen. i replaced the speaker wire connections to both the tweeter and speaker. i don't know whats wrong with the **** thing, but i have the feeling its shot. anyone have any experience w/ this?

BTW- if it is blown, how the hell did i do it w/ only 75watts??? these are supposed to handle up to 200watts i thought!?!?

bass_lover1
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Sounds like the voice coil is coming loose and you're hearing the scratching noise that is usually associated with that.

My guess is that you were listening to your music at high volumes and the speaker may have bottomed out causing the VC to come loose, or you were clipping the amp and it may have damaged the coil that way.

siuvinson
06-12-2007, 12:26 AM
and how do i go about fixing this? or can it be fixed?

and yes, i was listening to it pretty loud, but i've listened louder.

Latina33
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, sounds like the voicecoil is shot to me, too.

Good luck on finding a replacement woofer....Crystal Mobilesounds went out of business a few weeks back.

I'm still in need of a pair of SSCS6 tweeters, and now I'm stuck because Crystal isn't around to back up their "warranty" anymore. :verymad:

Hoodlum007
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Good luck on finding a replacement woofer....Crystal Mobilesounds went out of business a few weeks back.

I'm still in need of a pair of SSCS6 tweeters, and now I'm stuck because Crystal isn't around to back up their "warranty" anymore. :verymad:

WHAT?? are you serious?

siuvinson
06-12-2007, 03:28 PM

well thats not really what i wanted to hear! just my luck i guess. i'm going to take the speaker out this afternoon, is there any way i can tell if the voice coil is damaged beyond repair? what am i looking for when i get it out? how will i recognize if its shot or not?

if i do have to replace it...i'll just buy a new set of comps. does anyone have any suggestions for comps that won't deteriorate (sp?) as quickly as these, but still sound as good? i really like these crystals!!

Latina33
06-12-2007, 04:52 PM
WHAT?? are you serious?

Yeah man, completely serious.

I after calling the number on Crystal's website for like a week or so, and getting the response "You have reached a number that has been disconnected, or is no longer in service.....", and then emailing their provided customer service email address and getting no response, I finally decided to Mapquest directions to their location in Placentia, CA. I get there, and their "store" is what looks like an old storage door with no windows, and the lock has a pad lock on it.

There's a mechanic's shop next to the place where A3 (Crystal) used to be, so I figured, what the hey, lemme ask these guys about Crystal, and see if they know anything. One of the guys in the mechanic shop tells me that they went belly up, and one day a few weeks ago moved all of their gear to the store in El Monte, CA. Whatever they couldn't get rid of at the El Monte store was shipped back to the point of origin.

Here's the website for "tech support" for Crystal, from their main site. STILL no one from Crystal has bothered to provide any update to customers or ANYONE of what's going on with them.

http://www.crystalmobilesound.com/tech_support.htm

It's too bad. Now everyone's warranties on their stuff, mine included, are worthless.

Latina33
06-13-2007, 01:05 AM
You heard it right, man. Or you call around, and see how popular Crystal stuff is with the dealers as of late. They'll ask you the same thing.... "Crystal went out of business....wow, I haven't hear of that at all!"

We got screwed, and Crystal's too much of a choad boat outfit to admit it. Call Tech Support, and leave a message with the OPERATOR. :verymad:

DejaWiz
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
if i do have to replace it...i'll just buy a new set of comps. does anyone have any suggestions for comps that won't deteriorate (sp?) as quickly as these, but still sound as good? i really like these crystals!!

It's too bad. Now everyone's warranties on their stuff, mine included, are worthless.

Hey Latina, I'm sure you can recommend a set of speakers that would be a formidable replacement for the Crystal's, right? ;)

I mean, with you waiting in anticipation for delivery of a certain set of comps and all.... :naughty:

Latina33
06-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey Latina, I'm sure you can recommend a set of speakers that would be a formidable replacement for the Crystal's, right? ;)

I mean, with you waiting in anticipation for delivery of a certain set of comps and all.... :naughty:

LOL Why, yes, I have the PERFECT replacement solution to upgrading from an un-reliable Crystal component set.....

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=7

I should be getting mine in anytime now! :cool:

thaster
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
omg i think one of my crystal crossover is dead. when i open it, one of the coil was hanging by a thread. is there anyway to fix this at all?????????

PremierAudio
06-13-2007, 07:48 PM
LOL Why, yes, I have the PERFECT replacement solution to upgrading from an un-reliable Crystal component set.....

Nicely said.

patrick1202
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
get another crossover
idk if you can fix it or not

siuvinson
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM

how much can i pick those up for? will they compare w/ my crystals (when they worked)? i plan on putting more than 75watts to my next set. i've never heard another set of components other than my crystals, but from what i'm told crystals were a VERY good speaker especially for the cost.

konechiwa
06-13-2007, 10:35 PM

those speakers look oddly familiar. Now where or where have i seen them before....OH YEAH! In my car!

DejaWiz
06-13-2007, 11:00 PM
how much can i pick those up for? will they compare w/ my crystals (when they worked)? i plan on putting more than 75watts to my next set. i've never heard another set of components other than my crystals, but from what i'm told crystals were a VERY good speaker especially for the cost.

Talk to this man right here about them: PremierAudio