PDA

View Full Version : Clarion DXZ775USB or Kenwood KDC-X991

Nevergo
06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey been awhile. I'm looking at a new deck for my car. I plan on hooking up a 120gb+ HDD so i have been doing some research on decks. basicly to make a long story short what deck would be better for navigating through a HDD? I would prefer a double din but they don't make any that have time alignment and USB. The only thing i don't like about the kenwood is that it has some stuff i would never use like the cd ripping ability and 512mb of flash memory. Anyway what do you guys think?

Babs
06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I have no experience with using a HDD but I'd love to see how it turns out.
The 775 intrigues me.. I wonder how far it is from their flagship 9255.. Because the 775 is CHEAP for what it does.. makes me wonder about it's components, quality and SQ, but makes me wonder.. is it any good? Maybe?.. In it's class, there's the 880 and the 7100 also with that amount of processing but more pricetag.

I did have an XXV anniversary version of the kenwood.. sounded nice.. burr-brown dacs, but with any of these decks, navigating through a bunch of files and folders with that little screen sounds daunting, if not dangerous while driving. If I were considering another Excelon, it would only be the 991.

Fast1one
06-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I agree the 775 does come fairly close to the processing power of the 880 and 7100, at half the price of the latter...time alignment, bandpass capabilities on 2/3 sets of channels, gain and attenuation for each INDIVIDUAL channel, Only thing it really lacks is 24db slopes...

Im sure the SQ is descent, probably up to par with the 880, bit lower than the 7100 but there hasnt been many experiences. I will surely be getting one this summer ;)

Babs
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd be interested in your impressions if you go with a 775.. Also would be cool to see some good quality pics.. Those manufacturer and dealer pics just don't do so hot.

Fast1one
06-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd be interested in your impressions if you go with a 775.. Also would be cool to see some good quality pics.. Those manufacturer and dealer pics just don't do so hot.IDK when ill get it, hopefully in July but we shall see...i will post pics and impressions though...

Nevergo
06-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I have no experience with using a HDD but I'd love to see how it turns out.
The 775 intrigues me.. I wonder how far it is from their flagship 9255.. Because the 775 is CHEAP for what it does.. makes me wonder about it's components, quality and SQ, but makes me wonder.. is it any good? Maybe?.. In it's class, there's the 880 and the 7100 also with that amount of processing but more pricetag.

I did have an XXV anniversary version of the kenwood.. sounded nice.. burr-brown dacs, but with any of these decks, navigating through a bunch of files and folders with that little screen sounds daunting, if not dangerous while driving. If I were considering another Excelon, it would only be the 991.

That's kinda why i would like a double din. The problem is that the only good double dins don't have USB and are only in japan(see below).I'm not sure why that is.

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/j/products/car_audio/emotional_sound/k_wd01/index.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpioneer.jp%2Fproduct%2Fin dex.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

http://www.autoblog.com/2004/08/18/when-you-need-that-sweet-warm-tone-on-the-go-panasonics/

Babs
06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Those kenwoods are not of this Earth.. Dual offset burr-brown setups.. Nice!
The panels also a nice departure from the cheap crap they send us in the states.. why is that? Do the Japanese just have more taste for high-end in cars? Denon, Nakamichi, etc.

Nevergo
06-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Those kenwoods are not of this Earth.. Dual offset burr-brown setups.. Nice!
The panels also a nice departure from the cheap crap they send us in the states.. why is that? Do the Japanese just have more taste for high-end in cars? Denon, Nakamichi, etc.
I wish i knew.

Nevergo
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Anyone knew where i could import a deck? I think i found the perfect double din. its a pioneer the model is FH-P710MD. Links below.

http://www3.pioneer.co.jp/product/product_info.php?product_no=00001305&cate_cd=067&option_no=0

Fast1one
06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Anyone knew where i could import a deck? I think i found the perfect double din. its a pioneer the model is FH-P710MD. Links below.

http://www3.pioneer.co.jp/product/product_info.php?product_no=00001305&cate_cd=067&option_no=0
That looks really ****, only thing is the interface would more than likely not include English, or would it?

MDDrew
06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
the kenwoods over here have dual offset bb too, also that BB Dac is the same sony uses

Nevergo
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
That looks really ****, only thing is the interface would more than likely not include English, or would it?
I think it would but i'm not 100% sure.

G00SE
06-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Funny how you cant get that head unit in the states but all the buttons are written in english.

Babs
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I saw a couple dealers on ebay that can ship to the states with similar models.. you might contact them.

Remember.. JDM radio frequencies aren't the same.. not sure but possibly with an adapter of some kind you might make a JDM radio work in the states, but I'm not positive.

More trouble than it's worth in my opinion. They are nice looking double-din's though.. Don't know if I like that bulbous contour on a 2-din, but the rest I like... However, keep in mind, they've got the volume on the opposite side for a reason.... right hand driver seat.

Nevergo
06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I saw a couple dealers on ebay that can ship to the states with similar models.. you might contact them.

Remember.. JDM radio frequencies aren't the same.. not sure but possibly with an adapter of some kind you might make a JDM radio work in the states, but I'm not positive.

More trouble than it's worth in my opinion. They are nice looking double-din's though.. Don't know if I like that bulbous contour on a 2-din, but the rest I like... However, keep in mind, they've got the volume on the opposite side for a reason.... right hand driver seat.

Well i asked one seller so far and he said he could get it(FH-P710MD) for me but it would be $670 after shipping and tax. i'm not sure if thats a good price or not but i'm doing some research now. I'm also asking some other sellers.

Nevergo
06-15-2007, 12:22 AM
It didn't take me long to wake up and realize that $670 is way to much and not worth it. the retail price for that deck is 71,400 yen which equals $584. I could get a single din that has all the same features and it would be alot less. I'm going to try to talk the guy down. wish me luck.

If i can't talk him down what do you guys recommend for a deck? It needs to have USB and time alignment. Double din would also be nice but it's not that important to me. Price is no more then $400.

Babs
06-15-2007, 08:58 AM
The DTA is available.. USB is available..
Getting DTA "AND" USB built in narrows it down pretty quickly.

Babs
06-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I wonder who makes the "best" USB (digital reading) head unit?
Something that would read thumb-drives or external hard drives and use the head units fancy internal DACs.
hmmm...

I still think the head units out now are still very behind...

I see a demand for external digital sources (HDD's, Thumb-Drives, iPods, etc) where the data could be anything from crap-quality mp3's to lossless audio to video... Processed TA and Xovers and same top-notch dac's of the CD/DVD player then enough outs to have separate component channels upfront, separate rear fill channels, a center (for AV models), a couple subs.

..... Wouldn't be inexpensive I'd say.

In the interim, a "do-all" receiver won't do anything perfectly, but adequately hopefully. I could probably flip a coin between the 775 and 991.. I had the XXV kenwood with dual burr-browns.. Had limited EQ, some TA and crossovers, but the SQ was fabulous. Don't know about the new wolfson kenwoods.. probably pretty decent. In clarions, I'm very leary about any of them except the flagship.. There's NO in-between. It's either the SQ extreme CD only beast, or all the other scrubs.

I think the double-din touch-screen jobs are taking over for means of convergence.

Babs
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I will add (user interface).. Two knobs and a screen with whales swimming across it is not my idea of a well designed user interface. Just saving a radio channel is a chore.. My only complaint with my old kenwood, and most others.

Nevergo
06-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Wll i just got another offer from a different seller $439. What do you guys think?

Babs
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
For the FH-P710MD?? Sounds interesting.. I finally got a semi-legible translation of the page.. Looks like a simple hp/lp crossover, some level of time alignment and EQ.. Auto-calibration.. possibly something like the USDM premier units... Don't know about USB but did see IP bus input.

Not bad... is that shipped? Does it do everything you wish? Can the display read in English?

Shoot man.. I say go for it.. and give us a big write-up with pics. It is indeed a good looking unit.. Some value there just in being "exotic". :)

brad1011a
06-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Another word of warning; sometimes manufacturers will not honor warranties of 'out of region' units.

To me the most important part of having a large library in a car is the ability to use playlists. Is anyone but Kenwood supporting them?

Nevergo
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Yup its for the FH-P710MD and that is the shipped price. From what i can tell the display is in english but i'm going to look into it futher and it does have USB input but thats with an adapter. I don't know about the playlists though.

Babs
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
I'd see if you can possibly download a manual.. preferably in English. :)