PDA

View Full Version : CDT Components are they as good as some people say??

Iluv2zmzm
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
since they are not very popular just want to make sure that they are a good set of components and coaxials:

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5207

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3060

CrazedCat
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
CDT makes high quality speakers but I'd skip the CL line and spend a little more for the EF series.

DejaWiz
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
^ not bad advice. And in that price range, also look into the Rainbow SLC265's.

onefastsi
06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I've used CDT Audio for about 10+ years now and like it alot! I have the HD set, 2 way, but am converting back to the 3 way from way back when. I've also used the ES line that was very nice as well...blew the 6.5's, so went back to the HD's :)

Looking at replacing them, just getting old. Might try the DLS stuff, Uridiums maybe this time.

Hope this helps!

DejaWiz
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Looking at replacing them, just getting old. Might try the DLS stuff, Uridiums maybe this time.

I hope you meant DLS Iridium. :)

MikeyB
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1090

These are the ones I got and I love em!

DejaWiz
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1090

These are the ones I got and I love em!

Out of curiosity, what are you amping those with?

MiniVanMan
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
CDT does not make a bad product. Their top end stuff is very nice. Their low end stuff is acceptable for the money. If you like their sound then that's what matters.

CDT is my brand of choice for kickpanel installs. Also, if doing a 3-way, the HD, and ES 4" component sets are fantastic. I don't like CDT's midbass response though. The HD's aren't horrible, but not great when compared to some other brands out there.

For top end clarity, without being brittle, or rough, in other words, very easy to listen to, then CDT is great.

onefastsi
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I hope you meant DLS Iridium. :)

Well, actually, that's not what I meant :laugh:

I'm looking at the UR361 set...The Ultimate. It's late, I'm tired...I was thinking URxxx and seeing Iridium in my head...and no, I don't do drugs! :suicide:

Thanks for catching that!!

onefastsi
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
CDT does not make a bad product. Their top end stuff is very nice. Their low end stuff is acceptable for the money. If you like their sound then that's what matters.

CDT is my brand of choice for kickpanel installs. Also, if doing a 3-way, the HD, and ES 4" component sets are fantastic. I don't like CDT's midbass response though. The HD's aren't horrible, but not great when compared to some other brands out there.

For top end clarity, without being brittle, or rough, in other words, very easy to listen to, then CDT is great.

Yes, mids are 'ok'. I just replaced my titanium tweeter with a silk done CDT unit and it's MUCH better up high! I've always seemed to have a midbass hole in the system...that's why I'm adding my 4" driver and the 3 way xovers to try and help cure it. I still have my 4" ES mids...I'll have to use those in the kicks instead of the HD 4's.

I did use the ES 3 ways and the midbass really picked up nicely!

reed dollaz
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
i didnt like the cdt cl61's much. so i got the kicker ss65.2's *big smile* they didnt have much bass response at all, with my install. they got 'kinda' loud, but for 120w i expected more. clairty could have been alot better. it wasmy first comp set, so overall i was very happy. but im very picky when it comes to clean sound. so i ordered this Kicker SS652 6.5" component set. see how i like these. CDT's are good, but like some people said id opt for the EF series and skip CL

Pl8er
06-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Out of curiosity, what are you amping those with?

I have the same set and I'm running them off of a Tru 4.65. They are seeing about 80 rms. Pretty nice sounding. Not harsh at all. Mids could be a bit more powerful though.

Hoodlum007
06-12-2007, 01:49 AM
i have used mb quart discuss, infinityref and kappa, polk ex and so on and like the CDT CL series better.

Fixxer
06-12-2007, 02:00 AM
All of CDT's lines are great and have great detail and accuracy when properly installed and produce awesome results when using the correct one for what you are trying to achieve. CDT also makes some of the most feature rich passive crossovers in the market. Course I'm a bit biased :)

darren700
06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
i love my cdt's... the m6's put out phenominal midbass, before i put my subs in, it still sounded like i had subs with these speakers.....

WhoSayWho?
06-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a set of EF's. For the $175 that I paid for them I think they were a very good value. I have had them for a couple of years now and I have never had any problems with them. I am going to upgrade at some point soon, but that is just the nature of the hobby.

Babs
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Would you put the EF's in the same league as say hybrid audio lagatia's?

rjcastr
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
CDT makes great stuff specially their competition gold series. I have a 3 way set of ES 07 line with es02 tweeters.

Great stuff!!

I have a set of competition tweeters es01 i think i have some left retails 249 i can do 115 shipped.

rj

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I hate to be an ***........but I have yet to hear a pair of CDT's that didn't make me vomit in my mouth and choke on it while going back down....

DejaWiz
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
^ LOL. Good one, HH

Fixxer
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Exactly what set(s) did you hear, installed in what, and powered by what?

I hate to be an ***........but I have yet to hear a pair of CDT's that didn't make me vomit in my mouth and choke on it while going back down....

fearthisskyy
06-12-2007, 01:04 PM
would ya'll pick the CDT CL over the Diamond Audio HEX?

Iluv2zmzm
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
what if i go with these instead:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3341

would i still be able to get the same coaxials for the rear if i get these??

I was interested in Rainbow but was told you need to know a dealer

Hoodlum007
06-12-2007, 02:14 PM
The rear is just fill, not nearly important as the front stage. The EF fiberglass comps with any good coax for the rear will sound great IMO.

DejaWiz
06-12-2007, 02:30 PM
The rear is just pointless fill, not needed whatsoever. The EF fiberglass comps with any good substage will sound great IMO.

Fixed. ;)

WhoSayWho?
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Weak constitution huh? We once had a dog like that but we put him down. We don't tolerate weaklings.

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Exactly what set(s) did you hear, installed in what, and powered by what?

just name a set....lol..... I had some prototype No7 set....******....eurosports....******.....and that is their flagship.....I had a local shop a few years back that was a cdt dealer so I got to hear a few of the entry level sets....******.......

infact I think I was using one of the prototype No7 7's as a door stop.....

3.5Max6spd
06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
just name a set....lol..... I had some prototype No7 set....******....eurosports....******.....and that is their flagship.....I had a local shop a few years back that was a cdt dealer so I got to hear a few of the entry level sets....******.......

buahahahaha!:laugh:

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
wow, such venom! I've used CDT for a long time, and have yet to hear anything that much better, if any at all.

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
wow, such venom! I've used CDT for a long time, and have yet to hear anything that much better, if any at all.

u need to get out more :graduate:

xtremekustomz
06-12-2007, 05:03 PM
HH, haven't talked to you in a while, did you ever get through with your truck? I just yesterday got everything installed and have been working on some tuning. This w200/h701 is new to me and I'm trying to get everything figured out. Sorry to jack the thread.

AcidicDreams
06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I had CDT CL-61's and they where terrible, the midbass in the set is very anemic. I even did a full and proper installation (sealed doors, solid mounting etc). Avoid them... best entry level comps are likely the Rainbow SLC's, but I've never used them...

Best bang for the buck I've found are Aura MR62's and 52's... good luck finding them though, they haven't been made in awhile but they pop up used now and again...

Hebrew Hammer
06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
HH, haven't talked to you in a while, did you ever get through with your truck? I just yesterday got everything installed and have been working on some tuning. This w200/h701 is new to me and I'm trying to get everything figured out. Sorry to jack the thread.

dude..the truck hasn't even been touched...been working on my beater hard core now...first show is this saturday :naughty:

xtremekustomz
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I got burned out on mine and left it alone for about a month and a half after I painted it. But, now I'm almost through!!! We've got a show in Biloxi not this weekend but next. That will be the "unveiling" LOL I'm sure I won't have it tuned by then but hopefully there will be some guys there willing to help me out.

harveyy
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I had CDT CL-61's and they where terrible, the midbass in the set is very anemic. I even did a full and proper installation (sealed doors, solid mounting etc). Avoid them... best entry level comps are likely the Rainbow SLC's, but I've never used them...

Best bang for the buck I've found are Aura MR62's and 52's... good luck finding them though, they haven't been made in awhile but they pop up used now and again...

This exact scenerio happened to me, except I had the CL 62s. Bought into the hype and was unimpressed.

Got the Auras and was completely satisfied.

I tested both sets in the same install, CDTs weaknesses were apparent.

My advice to you is to do more research, explore other brands, read feedback and decide if you want to take the chance on CDT. Make an informed decision and you'll increase your odds of being happy with your purchase. Before I bought the Auras I read everything I could find, I didn't see one negative post and have never looked back!

djdilliodon
06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
The cl's while cheap imo arent the greatest set you can buy, actually far from. They are your average low priced set geared to the user who is on a tight budget but for some it can be a great set. Simply depends on what you like. The ef series and up is a different story but again depends on what you like. Some may like them some may hate them, everyone is different so that is no shock. Your best bet really is to try and listen to them, but as we all know 9 out of 10 times this isnt possible. That is why car audio is a hobby. Over time youll keep buying new sets to try out till you find sonic bliss. Does it ever end though? Absolutely not lol.

onefastsi
06-12-2007, 09:55 PM
u need to get out more :graduate:

RIIIIGGGGHHHTTT! I've heard more stuff in my years than most of you guys combined! I never said they were the BEST out there...but they are VERY good!

Pl8er
06-12-2007, 10:05 PM

Would you say that it would be hard to compare low end speakers to your listening taste due to the level of equipment you use? You use some of the highest end gear around, can you still listen to low end and find the good in it?

This isn't flaming at all, I'm honestly asking because I value your opinion and I am currently running the CL-61A's and if you really think that, at the price point they are at, are horrible, I will most likely change. I thought that the tweeters had a decent sound but lacked in midbass. I mean I'm not going to go out and spend 2,000 on a pair of comps, but what would you consider to be a good upgrade?

MiniVanMan
06-13-2007, 03:56 AM
Would you say that it would be hard to compare low end speakers to your listening taste due to the level of equipment you use? You use some of the highest end gear around, can you still listen to low end and find the good in it?

This isn't flaming at all, I'm honestly asking because I value your opinion and I am currently running the CL-61A's and if you really think that, at the price point they are at, are horrible, I will most likely change. I thought that the tweeters had a decent sound but lacked in midbass. I mean I'm not going to go out and spend 2,000 on a pair of comps, but what would you consider to be a good upgrade?

EXCELLENT questions!!!!

He did mention the 07, and ES series sets which are CDT's top performers. There's a definite love them or hate them attitude. Like I said in a previous post, CDT's 4" component sets are TOP NOTCH. In my opinion they lead in their respective price points. My only point of contention is the midbass output.

DJDilliodon said it pretty well when he was mentioning price points. As you go up in price, things start to sound a bit better. You're not going to find DLS Iridium quality components at a CL-61 price point, though. Just ain't gonna happen. So, again, your questions are very valid.

CrazedCat
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Sounds like a real objective review. Opinions vary. This guy could be a half-tard with a hearing aid. Listen for yourself.

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Exactly! It's all in the EAR of the beholder! My cousin used to use high end MB's years back...I HATED them! Too bright for me...but all the reviews, articles, etc loved them. The great thing about car audio? there's something for everyone, and almost no one has the same tastes in music or how it's recreated.

IamDeMan
06-13-2007, 08:34 AM

RIIIIGGGGHHHTTT! I've heard more stuff in my years than most of you guys combined! I never said they were the BEST out there...but they are VERY good!

Contradict much? You were pretty **** close to saying they are the best lol. If you have heard much more than him, then please tell us of these sets you have compared the CDTs too. Perhaps maybe some sony and kenwood comps?

While I was happy with my CDTs when I ran them, I still value HHs oppinion to some degree but take it with a grain of salt. He has access to and often sells gear that 90% of this forum can only dream of buying. Active multi-thousand dollar component sets and elite BS that I would only run if uncle moneybags or the lottery knocked on my door. His ear is probably more tainted than ours due to what he has access too. I happen to enjoy having my ignorance, since these sets are acceptable to me lol.

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
see below

onefastsi
06-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Contradict much? You were pretty **** close to saying they are the best lol. If you have heard much more than him, then please tell us of these sets you have compared the CDTs too. Perhaps maybe some sony and kenwood comps?

While I was happy with my CDTs when I ran them, I still value HHs oppinion to some degree but take it with a grain of salt. He has access to and often sells gear that 90% of this forum can only dream of buying. Active multi-thousand dollar component sets and elite BS that I would only run if uncle moneybags or the lottery knocked on my door. His ear is probably more tainted than ours due to what he has access too. I happen to enjoy having my ignorance, since these sets are acceptable to me lol.

Re read what you quoted from me...then Read the above post, I just posted! not sure where the contradiction is :confused: "never heard anything that much better" meaning that I MIGHT have heard better....or was it "I never said they were the best out there.." hmmm...not sure WHICH was more like the other...please help!? :eyebrow:

MB Quart, ID's, Focal...it's been a while since I've been to a comp or anything, too old, too many kids, too much work...but since I've been doing this (20+ odd years), I've been everywhere, heard about everything, and nothing sounded as good as MY car was setup, with MY CDT's! Like I said...to MY ears, which are NOT your ears, these are some of the best speakers I've heard.

to each his own....

Iluv2zmzm
06-13-2007, 08:54 AM
wow, didnt mean to open up a can of worms with this question :laugh:

after doing some reading i am actually going to shell out a little bit more money for better quality, Rainbow SLC265's....

alot of members on my car club recommend Rainbow as a top notch speaker...

thanks for all the info...

OldManTod
06-13-2007, 08:58 AM
You didn't really open a can of worms, just the usual.

- T

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a real objective review. Opinions vary. This guy could be a half-tard with a hearing aid. Listen for yourself.

plain and simple..it's either right or wrong period....and everything from CDT that I ahve heard/used...*****...end of story...no if ands or buts...you are more than welcome to come to a major MECA/IASCA show and you can demo my car...I'll show you how a system should sound and how far off cdt's are from that...

Babs
06-13-2007, 09:48 AM
It's a good thing the market has grown so much that there's a lot of companies out there in the speaker business.. The struggle is not unlike the home audio business with speakers.. Tastes vary big time.. Some guys live for Wilson Audio or B&W or Vandersteen speakers.. Some guys hate a particular brand or model.. Same I guess for car speakers.. Tastes vary. It's healthy. I was actually quite happy with my cheap set of Kappa's, but I'll bet the next set (an upgrade of some brand) for the new car will be a new adventure.. Unfortunately, like the home audio business for high-end, it's very difficult to actually A/B compare or demo speakers across different brands and models.. Have to go by online reviews for the most part. So, in a sense, there's more competiting brands and models now, but also less pre-sale demonstration... for me anyway.. I can't bring myself to walk into the one non-big-box-kmart installer in town because of the hard sell for the speakers with the big margins.. (I know retail business too well).

Sorry.. this might not have contributed much.. just some observations from a guy trying to learn about car audio. :)

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM

sorry bro...I'm not the person to ask that question to....when it comes to speakers, I've been around super high end home and car audio for so many years that is the one area I'll never skimp on.....I can tell you the best bang for the buck...infact one of my top 5 tweeters period is the Hiquphon OW1fs....but other than that I'm worthless :suicide:

helotaxi
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
infact one of my top 5 tweeters period is the Hiquphon OW1fs

Where would one go about finding those and how much are we talking about? Reason that I ask is I've been around a pretty long time and I've never heard of this brand.

Babs
06-13-2007, 11:21 AM
http://www.hiquphon.dk/

In the US:
http://www.ellisaudio.com/hiquphon.htm
http://www.zalytron.com/

.. google rocks!

helotaxi
06-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Should have figured that $200+ would fall into his "bang for the buck" category...

IamDeMan
06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Should have figured that $200+ would fall into his "bang for the buck" category...
lol.

pcoastsurf
06-13-2007, 05:59 PM

You my friend are a idiot!

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:01 PM

You my friend are a idiot!

you are right.....I don't konw shyt......wanna fill me in on your expertise?

pcoastsurf
06-13-2007, 06:06 PM
you are right.....I don't konw shyt......wanna fill me in on your expertise?

And yours ?????????????????

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
And yours ?????????????????

well......

I worked for acouple high end 12volt manufactures and with for acouple years now...I have built countless demo/comp cars spanning almost 16 years...as well owned...used.....tested the most expensive car audio products known to man....

rjcastr
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Hebrew person,

I understand that sound is all about taste but to say that the ES gold series is a piece of garbage is quite a statement, i have demoed myself some of the best sound speakers in car audio from utopias to seas to dynaudio to f1 status and recently the rainbows pro-fi. Granted there are some that i would say are better than others but to exclude CDT from this group would be a crime in many cases the CDT line ES gold series are as good as some of the best in the business. Speakerworks out of Orange known to be one of the best in the business is a huge CDT dealer and when you go in to their shop they, themeselves praise on the ES line, they have quite a demo built in around CDT and other brands as well.

pcoastsurf
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
well......

I worked for acouple high end 12volt manufactures and with for acouple years now...I have built countless demo/comp cars spanning almost 16 years...as well owned...used.....tested the most expensive car audio products known to man....

So expensive = good ???????????? ok???

xtremekustomz
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Now, now....can't we just be nice? HH has quite a bit of expertise when it comes to this stuff. Yeah......he may be blunt about it and say exactly what he thinks, but that is just how it is. He is giving his "opinion" on what he thinks about it and I'm sure if you talk to many sq guys that they will have similar things to say, but will explain them a little differentely LOL Personally I just wish I had some tuning experience. I'm having a nightmare with my truck. Hopefully someone will show up in Biloxi next weekend and be able to help me out.

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:22 PM
How about this...you'll never see a car win a finals either MECA or IASCA using cdt....and you have to understand...that it fits a price point for them...I will say this to the day I die.... CDT IS HORRIBLE!!!!!

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:24 PM
So expensive = good ???????????? ok???

and this is comming from a poster who buys speakers and has no clue how to wire them....

yeah I read your previous posts....some good comedy there....

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Now, now....can't we just be nice? HH has quite a bit of expertise when it comes to this stuff. Yeah......he may be blunt about it and say exactly what he thinks, but that is just how it is. He is giving his "opinion" on what he thinks about it and I'm sure if you talk to many sq guys that they will have similar things to say, but will explain them a little differentely LOL Personally I just wish I had some tuning experience. I'm having a nightmare with my truck. Hopefully someone will show up in Biloxi next weekend and be able to help me out.

yeah.....I'm honest with no BS to a fault....either on the forums or in person...no sugar coating etc......

tuning is an art form.... my advice is to go to some major comps and listen to as many cars as you can...take mental notes of what you like or dislike and ask questions.... bottom line is that you need a level of comparison to strive for...and until you truly hear the best of the best....then in all rights you may think your system is all that....

xtremekustomz
06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
yeah.....I'm honest with no BS to a fault....either on the forums or in person...no sugar coating etc......

tuning is an art form.... my advice is to go to some major comps and listen to as many cars as you can...take mental notes of what you like or dislike and ask questions.... bottom line is that you need a level of comparison to strive for...and until you truly hear the best of the best....then in all rights you may think your system is all that....

I've been to a few big shows but never had a chance to really listen to anything because of judging the car show part and all that. LOL I know my system isn't all that. I'm just doing the best that I can with what little knowledge I have. I probably won't be able to make it to alot of shows this year, or for next year for that matter. I'm finishing up my electronics degree right now so that is taking up alot of my spare time. I think there are supposed to be a few here in Alabama for MECA so I might just ride up to a few of those and see if I can find some help there. I had talked to Andy J. a while back and he said he would help me all that he could.

Hebrew Hammer
06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I've been to a few big shows but never had a chance to really listen to anything because of judging the car show part and all that. LOL I know my system isn't all that. I'm just doing the best that I can with what little knowledge I have. I probably won't be able to make it to alot of shows this year, or for next year for that matter. I'm finishing up my electronics degree right now so that is taking up alot of my spare time. I think there are supposed to be a few here in Alabama for MECA so I might just ride up to a few of those and see if I can find some help there. I had talked to Andy J. a while back and he said he would help me all that he could.

that whole all that was by no means directed towards you...just a general statement....

dude...you have kirk profit my teammate and david hogan in your back yard..I'll see if he has some free time...his car is insane.......

xtremekustomz
06-13-2007, 06:44 PM
That would be MUCH appreciated :) Actually Steve H. was supposed to tune it for me at a show in Panama City back in March but I didn't get through with my truck.

pcoastsurf
06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
So your hearing is the same as everybody?? In your opinion maybe they ****, but thats your opinion. As far as the car show thing coming from where you live ,I guess that is about all you have to do besides making out with your sister.

If you have to look at previous post to get firing power , then you my friend are still a idiot.

WhoSayWho?
06-13-2007, 07:50 PM

It cracks me up when people say such things in such a manner that it gives you the impression they think they are Clint Eastwood -- or at least Wilford Brimley. Don't know Mr. Brimley is? Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKix4FrsRjY

I think that it is painfully obvious that, while HH has had extensive experience with sound systems that the vast majority of us will never be the least bit interested in buying, he has very little or nothing to add concerning audio equipment that we might actually use some day.

He offers no alternatives, so I can only take it that he thinks that anything we might use will ****. I would rather have the opinions of people who use the equipment in the same priceline that I will be looking at and can offer an opinion that is not so blatantly biased.

BTW, that does not mean that the hobbyist does not want to spend a shitload is necessarily flat broke. HH just happens to be in the audio business (and thus he has a business purpose for having extravegantly expensive equipment) and I am sure he gets most of his personal equipment at or below cost. If that makes him feel special then great.

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
So your hearing is the same as everybody?? In your opinion maybe they ****, but thats your opinion. As far as the car show thing coming from where you live ,I guess that is about all you have to do besides making out with your sister.

If you have to look at previous post to get firing power , then you my friend are still a idiot.

no I just like to know if you are....

A: a typical mindless troll that posts to feel like he/she belongs....

or...

B: actually adds something of merrit through years of experience etc.....

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
It cracks me up when people say such things in such a manner that it gives you the impression they think they are Clint Eastwood -- or at least Wilford Brimley. Don't know Mr. Brimley is? Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKix4FrsRjY

I think that it is painfully obvious that, while HH has had extensive experience with sound systems that the vast majority of us will never be the least bit interested in buying, he has very little or nothing to add concerning audio equipment that we might actually use some day.

He offers no alternatives, so I can only take it that he thinks that anything we might use will ****. I would rather have the opinions of people who use the equipment in the same priceline that I will be looking at and can offer an opinion that is not so blatantly biased.

BTW, that does not mean that the hobbyist does not want to spend a shitload is necessarily flat broke. HH just happens to be in the audio business (and thus he has a business purpose for having extravegantly expensive equipment) and I am sure he gets most of his personal equipment at or below cost. If that makes him feel special then great.

no...it's like this......I'd much rather see you guys do with out...save money....and buy something solid...instead of buying 150-250 dollar comp sets and changing every year to year and a half which I see so many posters here do.....hell when I was 16 I saved for almost 2 years to get exactly what I wanted......not many people my age at the time had Quarts flagship 2way...Eclipse ECD 410.... 3 JL 8w6 and 2 Phoenix Gold MS2250 and MS275........the best advice I can give anybody is save..do without.....don't give into fads or boners.....buy a solid comp set and spend a good amount of time on the install.......

Babs
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
the best advice I can give anybody is save..do without.....don't give into fads or boners.....buy a solid comp set and spend a good amount of time on the install.......

... sounds sound as a pound to me.

It's always nice to have the last watch I shall ever buy.. I like that principle..

If you want a 'whatever', get one.. but step up to search for the finest, instead of chunking less-than items then struggling for replacements. Probably why I'm such a 9255 fanguy. I just figure if you buy something, you should only have to buy it once.. Which is the thing that disgusts me about car audio.. it's designed, literally engineered to break eventually.. kinda like chryslers.

xtremekustomz
06-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree somewhat with HH on the buying and replacing every year. Honestly I've done it myself. I guess the main thing you have to think about it not everyone wants the "best" and will never save up money to buy the best. That is just a fact of life. Another thing is that alot of people on here say they want sq, but really don't know what sq is at all. Some people consider sq as something that plays extremely loud and has alot of "treble" when it is something completely different from that. If you guys really want to get into some sq info go over to elitecaraudio.com That is where alot of the hard core sq guys chat. As for the original question about CDT's, I'ver personally never listened to them and I'm sorry I can't help out. Personally I'm a Dynaudio fan and "I" think (with what sets I have listed to) that their dome midrange has the most detail out of anything I have heard. The only setback is that playing them below 600 hz isn't good for them so you kinda lose the "point source" midrange driver. I've got a set sitting here now.....I sure wish I could have used them :(

DejaWiz
06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess the main thing you have to think about it not everyone wants the "best" and will never save up money to buy the best. That is just a fact of life.

Another thing is that alot of people on here say they want sq, but really don't know what sq is at all. Some people consider sq as something that plays extremely loud and has alot of "treble" when it is something completely different from that.

Agreed 100%

MiniVanMan
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
How about this...you'll never see a car win a finals either MECA or IASCA using cdt....

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of a lot of judges out there. What they're looking for, and what I like are very often two very different things. I don't change my preferences for anything due to somebody else's opinion on what something should be. If I like my tweeters a little more laid back, but I won't win a comp because of it, well then, screw the competition. If I like more red in my video, then screw what the salesperson says it should look like.

So, I don't like that argument. It also tells me that a lot of judges are brand loyal, and let's face it, they are. If the judge feels Utopias are the greatest sounding speakers ever, and you show up with a set of DLS Iridiums, which sound completely different, you're going to have a hard time scoring points over the guy in the next lane sporting his shiny set of Focals.

Now on to your point about saving for something of quality as opposed to settling on something cheaper, just to have to buy something again later is a VERY valid point. On this I will agree 110%.

I'm not a CDT fanboi, but they have their place, and to completely rule them out is purely based on preference and nothing else. You can't state anything as fact when it comes to SQ. I can make a set of Pyle components sound decent, and probably great to an untrained ear. So, it is all subjective.

CDT is very laid back, and that doesn't bode well for competitions where screaming highs are the norm. It does bode well for long road trips where you don't want your ears bleeding after 1/2 an hour.

genxx
06-14-2007, 03:23 PM
no...it's like this......I'd much rather see you guys do with out...save money....and buy something solid...instead of buying 150-250 dollar comp sets and changing every year to year and a half which I see so many posters here do.....hell when I was 16 I saved for almost 2 years to get exactly what I wanted......not many people my age at the time had Quarts flagship 2way...Eclipse ECD 410.... 3 JL 8w6 and 2 Phoenix Gold MS2250 and MS275........the best advice I can give anybody is save..do without.....don't give into fads or boners.....buy a solid comp set and spend a good amount of time on the install.......

HH-I have great respect for you. I have read many of you technical post on other forums and gained some great knowledge. You do have great knowledge and tuning ability. You also have the opportunity to audition a $5,000 set of comps.

However, you do yourself go through high-end equipment much like the normal audio guy go's through $150-$300.00 sets of comps. You just do it at a much higher price point or so it seems. If I could do that I would also.

I am doing a complete CDT set-up to see if they are complete garbage or not. If they are they are gone and its back to Rainbow Profi's. However I do have that option and means to do that. I also have Morel and Seas laying around as options.

You make a good point here but most of the guys would just save up and before they save enough buy that comp set would blow the cash on something else, not everyone but I would say a lot of them. So at least they keep a steady rotation of cash flow for car audio industry.LOL

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
HH-I have great respect for you. I have read many of you technical post on other forums and gained some great knowledge. You do have great knowledge and tuning ability. You also have the opportunity to audition a $5,000 set of comps.

However, you do yourself go through high-end equipment much like the normal audio guy go's through $150-$300.00 sets of comps. You just do it at a much higher price point or so it seems. If I could do that I would also.

I am doing a complete CDT set-up to see if they are complete garbage or not. If they are they are gone and its back to Rainbow Profi's. However I do have that option and means to do that. I also have Morel and Seas laying around as options.

You make a good point here but most of the guys would just save up and before they save enough buy that comp set would blow the cash on something else, not everyone but I would say a lot of them. So at least they keep a steady rotation of cash flow for car audio industry.LOL

I don't go through sets at all....there has been and only will be 2 brands that go in my cars...... I do however try to keep well versed on how close other companies compete...plus give reviews on pieces to see if they are truly worth the money...most aren't......

genxx
06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree on your statement 100%. However you do rotate or audition high end sets. So they may not rotate into and out of your car. However, you do go through some nice sets as people oooh and aahhh at them in the for sale sections.

I would like to thank you for the reviews of these high-end sets so some of us do not waste our money on them when they are not worth ever penny.

I am glad that I do not have a great deal of money in the CDT's though just incase they ****. I will say I got less that $400 in 5 sets of CDT's to play around with.

xtremekustomz
06-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I have to say that I'm not a big fan of a lot of judges out there. What they're looking for, and what I like are very often two very different things. I don't change my preferences for anything due to somebody else's opinion on what something should be. If I like my tweeters a little more laid back, but I won't win a comp because of it, well then, screw the competition. If I like more red in my video, then screw what the salesperson says it should look like.

I agree, you like what you like. The problem with this is that if you compete, it has to sound like the judges have been taught for it to sound. I don't know if you have listened to any systems but most sq vehicles (that I have heard) sound flat.

So, I don't like that argument. It also tells me that a lot of judges are brand loyal, and let's face it, they are. If the judge feels Utopias are the greatest sounding speakers ever, and you show up with a set of DLS Iridiums, which sound completely different, you're going to have a hard time scoring points over the guy in the next lane sporting his shiny set of Focals.

I don't know if I would necessarily say that they are brand loyal. Are there some judges out there that have "friends" that they give a few extra points to to win.....I'm sure there are. Just remember that Gray Biggs won his class I don't know how many years just using a set of 5 1/4" JBL components up front with a sub in the dash and the judges knew what he had in there. Installation is probably the most important part of it.

Now on to your point about saving for something of quality as opposed to settling on something cheaper, just to have to buy something again later is a VERY valid point. On this I will agree 110%. Agreed

I'm not a CDT fanboi, but they have their place, and to completely rule them out is purely based on preference and nothing else. You can't state anything as fact when it comes to SQ. I can make a set of Pyle components sound decent, and probably great to an untrained ear. So, it is all subjective.

True. You can make an inexpensive set sound pretty good if installed right and have plenty of power. BUT, there is a difference in the normal everyday person and someone who has been trained to judge and also different qualities in components.

CDT is very laid back, and that doesn't bode well for competitions where screaming highs are the norm. It does bode well for long road trips where you don't want your ears bleeding after 1/2 an hour.

I've NEVER heard a sq vehicle that would come anywhere near close to having "screaming highs". Most of the frequencies throughout the spectrum are rather close and give a somewhat flat response.

WhoSayWho?
06-14-2007, 04:29 PM
no...it's like this......I'd much rather see you guys do with out...save money....and buy something solid...instead of buying 150-250 dollar comp sets

I have never seen you speak highly of any set below say $500. I am not saying that such posts do not exist only that I have never seen them. Please let me know if I am wrong because I would like to know if there is any component set in that price range that you feel is worth buying.

MiniVanMan
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I've NEVER heard a sq vehicle that would come anywhere near close to having "screaming highs". Most of the frequencies throughout the spectrum are rather close and give a somewhat flat response.

I probably should have stated that better. I'm not really saying an overly present high end, but rather a sharp, extremely detailed high end. I find that to sound brittle and unnatural. Again, personal preference, but when it really comes down to it, detail is what the judges are looking for. That's why a flat response is critical. Any one frequency range overpowering the other detracts from the detail of the overpowered area.

I personally do not like MB Quart, and somebody would have to really convince me that that is the sound their looking for for me to go ahead and recommend them. Same goes for Focal. However, I can't argue with their ability to provide great detail and dynamics to the music. It's just not the sound that I'm looking for personally.

DejaWiz
06-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I personally do not like MB Quart, and somebody would have to really convince me that that is the sound their looking for for me to go ahead and recommend them. Same goes for Focal. However, I can't argue with their ability to provide great detail and dynamics to the music. It's just not the sound that I'm looking for personally.

Same for me. Hell, I chose Alpine Type X's over some comps that cost twice as much just because I really liked the uncanny clarity and "smoothness" they offer. Of course, this was before I was able to listen to some Rainbow SLC's. I would have gotten those over anything I had auditioned. I have no regrets though.. I love my X's.

xtremekustomz
06-14-2007, 05:56 PM
I had a set of the X's at one time. I really liked the way they sounded but I traded them in on my Dyn's :)

WhoSayWho?
06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I have never seen you speak highly of any set below say $500. I am not saying that such posts do not exist only that I have never seen them. Please let me know if I am wrong because I would like to know if there is any component set in that price range that you feel is worth buying.

HH?

TrakDay
06-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I just installed the CDT EF61EG with upgraded tweeters and crossovers along with the EF51 Neo with upgraded xovers. I put a Kicker zx640.4 amp on them and am somewhat happy.

Basically I feel like they are a good speaker for the price, not the best, but definitely a fair value. I have owned Focal Poly Kevlar speakers along with multiple sets of high end MB Quarts as well as a few other top brands. I absolutely love the tweeters in this setup, but the midbass drivers leave a little something to be desired. Thats not going to be a big deal though. I am not disappointed in the speakers, but not 100% satisfied... I need to get my 3 8s in the truck and then I think I will be 100% satisfied.

Babs
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM
... If you just installed them and they're completely fresh out of the box.. I'd be interested in how you like them after they get some play time enough to break them in a bit. Nothing like a decent speaker that isn't broken in.. Can scare you sometimes.. My home speakers were scary until they got quite a few hours of playtime.

Hebrew Hammer
06-19-2007, 02:38 PM
HH?

the cheapest set I can put together is in the 600-650 range....

Babs
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
it's all economies of scale I guess. :) One man's porsche is another man's VW thing.

DejaWiz
06-19-2007, 03:00 PM
it's all economies of scale I guess. :) One man's porsche is another man's VW thing.

Well at least some models of each shared the same engine. :p

HH, what are the specifics of the set you can put together for $600-650? Out of curiosity?

spike_e
06-19-2007, 03:03 PM
well i thin ima try a pair. 160 shipped, if they **** i dont loose that much on em

Hebrew Hammer
06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Well at least some models of each shared the same engine. :p

HH, what are the specifics of the set you can put together for $600-650? Out of curiosity?

the hiquphon ow1f's and the scan 18W.... pure heaven IMO....

DejaWiz
06-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Ahh, the Revelators (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=929) and the Owls (http://www.hiquphon.dk/page4.html), eh?

I know the OW1's are rated for 100W RMS, but how much power would you personally run them or have seen them take without problems? Thanks HH.

What do you think of the Scan D2905 (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_249_270_324&products_id=914)?

Hebrew Hammer
06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Ahh, the Revelators (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=929) and the Owls (http://www.hiquphon.dk/page4.html), eh?

I know the OW1's are rated for 100W RMS, but how much power would you personally run them or have seen them take without problems? Thanks HH.

What do you think of the Scan D2905 (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_249_270_324&products_id=914)?

on the Ow1's you have the option to get them with ferro fluid...this aids in the ability to run them a little lower and give them a little more power....

also for a few extra dollars...I'd rather get the 3004/6600...way better tweeter

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=148&products_id=1738

and in regards to power...I always over power everything...I got 480 watts per going to my tweeters....so it's all in how you install/tune etc....

WhoSayWho?
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
the cheapest set I can put together is in the 600-650 range....

Fair enough.

Eugenics
06-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Well if someone didn't mind settling for inferior sound or just couldn't cough up 600 dolars.... what would you suggest?

DejaWiz
06-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Well if someone didn't mind settling for inferior sound or just couldn't cough up 600 dolars.... what would you suggest?

Peerless Exclusives and Seas Neos.

Babs
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe something like these??
Not sure if that's the correct "class" of SEAS tweet or not...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_313&products_id=1466
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1604

Looks like a beefy mid driver for sure.. Though what impedence would you want in separate drivers in a car setup? 4ohm for each for running active channels to each?

CrazedCat
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I just wanna get this to 100+ replies

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok, I'll help.

Babs
06-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Maybe something like these??
Not sure if that's the correct "class" of SEAS tweet or not...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_313&products_id=1466
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1604

Looks like a beefy mid driver for sure.. Though what impedence would you want in separate drivers in a car setup? 4ohm for each for running active channels to each?

me too.. So were these the correct drivers you recommend?
I'm considering a simple active setup with 2 way upfront and sub in a Forester.
Thinking about stepping up considerably from my last setup which were Kappa's.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
100 posts!

yep, those are the drivers.

Here's the metal dome tweeters:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=633

Babs
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
101!

Thanks.. yeah appears you have a choice from them.. Given the price (which ain't bad at all compared to typical car audio retail sites for usual car audio brands).. Are these really a good OR superior alternative to the usual suspects like kicker/polk/boston/mbq/etc that are probably outsourced tweeters/woofers anyway?

... did I just answer my own question in that question?? hehehe :)

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't say one is better than the other, however the price differences surely can't be ignored. :)

Babs
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
The cheap pricetag makes me suspicious.. especially when cruising the car retail sites at tweeters in upwards of $100 - $200

One example the JL Audio XR100-CT for $120.. compared to $30 (I guess x 2) = $60ish from Madisound for the Seas aluminum dome.

I guess a good bit of it is the typical car-brand-name hype verses a little tweet waiting on the shelf at a DIY store.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
The cheap pricetag makes me suspicious.. especially when cruising the car retail sites at tweeters in upwards of $100 - $200

One example the JL Audio XR100-CT for $120.. compared to $30 (I guess x 2) = $60ish from Madisound for the Seas aluminum dome.

I guess a good bit of it is the typical car-brand-name hype verses a little tweet waiting on the shelf at a DIY store.

The cheap prices are a direct result of non-advertised brand image.

Which name would you almost expect to see when walking into a well-established car audio store - JL Audio or Seas?

The prices are cheap because the consumer is simply getting a quality product, not a quality product from a company trying to recoup millions of dollars spent on advertising as well as brand recognition premiums.

Babs
06-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I can believe it.

Just for giggles, are there any bumps up from that particular tweeter in Seas or any other similar brands you could point me to? Morel, etc.. something relatively available in a car tweet setup?

Or given about a $400ish budget, should I even bother?? just get the Seas and be happy I guess.

krisfnbz
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I love my CDT CL-61a's. 120rms and they are definately worth the $100 I spent on them. I wouldnt hesitate to buy them again.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
If you want some really nice clairty and can mount them pretty much exactly on-axis, then I'll recommend the Peerless/Vifa XT25 (http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1679) ring radiators to go along with the Exclusives mids. Cross them at no less than about 2500Hz with 12dB/Oct slope or around 2000Hz with 18-24dB/Oct.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Double post.... :pissed:

theothermike
06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
knowing what i no and cruising around the diyaudioforums recently and listening to more and more systems of diff needs and wants, i personally would drop the 3 ways i have and go 2 way active from start. i wish i did.

i personally dont like my midbasses in hd642 set, 1st pair broke, new ones are loosening up lil to much.

But i wish i went with a rainbow set if i bought by same brand and i wish i did the peerless exclusive 7's with seas or ow1's.

Mike-

Babs
06-25-2007, 05:38 PM
So that peerless exclusive 7" must be a fairly well-known or well-respected driver in DIY components.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
So that peerless exclusive 7" must be a fairly well-known or well-respected driver in DIY components.

Yes, for both home and mobile audio applications.

Babs
06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds like I could do a lot worse (yeah I sort of understand the specs, but going more on referral here).. A match up with that alum. seas tweeter I guess, with active setup with a cda-9887, aught to be serious bang for the buck.. given an adequate 4 channel for the fronts.. maybe a pdx or xa4000.

DejaWiz
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Sounds like I could do a lot worse (yeah I sort of understand the specs, but going more on referral here).. A match up with that alum. seas tweeter I guess, with active setup with a cda-9887, aught to be serious bang for the buck.. given an adequate 4 channel for the fronts.. maybe a pdx or xa4000.

With a PDX-4.150 (or maybe even the 4.100) or an XA4000, you're going to have no power problems at all.

Babs
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
One thing I was wondering.. That peerless 7" is an 8ohm speaker.. Given the lecturing I've had from other guys about getting more power from lower impedence load, should I be concerned at all.. or play away happy as a lark on 8ohm mid drivers?? Typical for a home driver, but in car audio it seems the norm is for 4ohm or even 2ohm loads on individual channels off the amp.

I do also understand that some of the ICEpower amps don't bump in power depending on impedence drop from 4 to 2... don't know about 8 though.

Sorry.. don't mean to hijack the CDT thread..

Started my own on "DIY" drivers for lack of a better name:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242855

DejaWiz
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
There's going to be absolutely no difference sonically between a 4 and an 8 ohm driver from the same amp in the same configuration/install.

The equations work out the same regardless of impedance, and the industry standard method is to use 2.83V at a distance of 1M = measured SPL (in dB).

8 Ohm Driver
SQRT(Watts * Ohms) = Voltage
SQRT(1 * 8) = 2.83V

4 Ohm Driver
SQRT(Watts * Ohms) = Voltage
SQRT(2 * 4) = 2.83V

See? It takes twice the power to get the same measured SPL out of the 4 Ohm driver as it does the 8 Ohm driver.

So when you see an 8 Ohm speaker with a sensitivity rating of 87dB and a 4 Ohm speaker with a sensitivity of 87dB, you now know that the 4 Ohm speaker requires twice the watts to get the same result.

Don't worry about it being an 8 Ohm driver! It'll perform beautifully.

Babs
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Understood.. That's good news. So I started up a DIY thread then naturally AFTERwards I searched.. It's obviously been way covered in here.. a good thing but a lot to read.

DejaWiz
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Understood.. That's good news. So I started up a DIY thread then naturally AFTERwards I searched.. It's obviously been way covered in here.. a good thing but a lot to read.

Lot to read yes, but a lot of good information to commit to memory. ;)

Babs
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Funny how more and more I recognize these drivers from high-fi speakers I've seen and heard.. Krell, etc that use sourced drivers instead of their own like Paradigm, B&W, Wilson Audio, etc. Seas and Scanspeak quite a bit, as well as Usher. Seas makes phenominal mids.. sorry I'll leave it for that thread.

W8 a minute
06-28-2007, 04:45 AM
How about this...you'll never see a car win a finals either MECA or IASCA using cdt....and you have to understand...that it fits a price point for them...I will say this to the day I die.... CDT IS HORRIBLE!!!!!

Must be a Missouri thing. I always thought CDT ****** as well. :wow: I could always find something better for the price.

Although...A coworker recently purchased some M6's and if looks meant anything these would be the most kick *** mids ever made. But 'll have to wait a few days to actually hear them.

Hebrew Hammer
06-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Must be a Missouri thing. I always thought CDT ****** as well. :wow: I could always find something better for the price.

Although...A coworker recently purchased some M6's and if looks meant anything these would be the most kick *** mids ever made. But 'll have to wait a few days to actually hear them.

lol....I had their flagship 7's to test...Horrible!!!!! but alas.....it's hard to convince people on the forum...in person is way easier when all I have to do is let them listen to my car :naughty:

Pickzilla
06-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I love my eurosport 620s.

Any non-believers are free to come audition my car.

Babs
06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Man.. Amazing.. They are either a love 'em or hate 'em company it seems.

What are the pro's saying about CDT's??? How about professional reviews?

djdilliodon
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Man.. Amazing.. They are either a love 'em or hate 'em company it seems.

What are the pro's saying about CDT's??? How about professional reviews?

Any brand that has enjoyed years in the spot light will soon develope people getting sick of hearing about it. Look at RE,ID,ED, and many others. Every other post at one time would be about them and now they dont come up anywhere near as much. Now you hear all about rainbow and down the line the same thing will also happen. Its just the way it is. CDT is very popular overseas in europe and there are TONS of reviews in mags over there. I have a few of them I got with tests against some of the other high end europe compaines. I think i have one on my comp. If you like i could email it to you.

Hebrew Hammer
06-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Any brand that has enjoyed years in the spot light will soon develope people getting sick of hearing about it. Look at RE,ID,ED, and many others. Every other post at one time would be about them and now they dont come up anywhere near as much. Now you hear all about rainbow and down the line the same thing will also happen. Its just the way it is. CDT is very popular overseas in europe and there are TONS of reviews in mags over there. I have a few of them I got with tests against some of the other high end europe compaines. I think i have one on my comp. If you like i could email it to you.

dude...I've been around the block a few years...allot of my close friends are multi world champs and many more very well respected competitors...I can't name one that use them and infact I can't name a time when they were in the spotlight...

djdilliodon
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
dude...I've been around the block a few years...allot of my close friends are multi world champs and many more very well respected competitors...I can't name one that use them and infact I can't name a time when they were in the spotlight...

I never said anything about competition, simply mag reviews. Personally both IMO are a waste. You never know if the mag is being paid and when you compete your impressing judge. I doubt a judge has the same musical preference as me. Its more of a hobby if you ask me. Also yes cdt was in the spotlight, trust me i should know ive sold them for 7 years and would get at least 20+ messages a day on every forum im a member at. You would also see every other post CDT this CDT that. Also im not just a user of CDT, i have owned some of the highest end set you can buy. Im not saying one is better than the other. I have seen what its all about beyond a selling and using level. I know what the manufacturing is all about and what it cost to make. It is ALL overpriced and over hyped :)

Babs
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Sure if you have some links, feel free to just PM to me.. I love a good read. :)

djdilliodon
06-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Sure if you have some links, feel free to just PM to me.. I love a good read. :)

Its actually on my comp so id have to email it to you :(

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Its actually on my comp so id have to email it to you :(

PM sent. :D

genxx
06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Hebrew Hammer-If I use your perspective on this thread-Then this would be true correct.

I do not know any of the people named below personally-Have I sat in a couple of the vehicles on the list or heard them in the last 17 years yes. Do I know people that know these poeple yes. Does that make me cool, "NO". Means I was at the right place at the right time. WOOT

MB Quart-Awsome-Many world Final titles
JBL-Gary Biggs-World Titles buy them
Rockford Fosgate-Mark Fukuda, Wayne Harris-World Champions-Great stuff
Focal-Our Very own SQChevy-Multi world titles
Oz Audio-World Titles
Bob Johann-PPI, Xtant, JVC, MTX
Harry Kimura-USD
Richie Inferrera-a/d/s
Tommy Clark-PPI
Richard Clark-Alpine(I pretty sure this is correct from back in the day)
David "Fishman" Rivera-AudioControl, Clarion
The list could go and go-Pioneer, JL, Dynaudio, Image Dynamics.

You could find brands that people are in shock that where in cars that won.

I mean just look at how many car's Spearker Works built with different brands in them. How many legedary cars came out of there.

I mean hell I think ever major brand has been in a car at one time or another.
I mean s**t I can google search and find tons of brands and people that have won with all kinds of different stuff.

There are many brands that have made it to the finals. The list would fill up a page.

In your thought process it would mean any brand having world SQ titles is at the top. We both know this is not true. I would bet that anyone of a multitude of world champions, expert tuners/installers(Look on the list above) could take just about any quality product, install it properly, apply good processing and win. Does it take more work with some brands than others.IMO "YES".

We could even do a list for sound deadners.

Is CDT the best no, is it the worst no-Don hit on the head "It is ALL overpriced and over hyped"

All these manafuctures have access to same materials, designs ect. Hell look at Alpine and the F1 comp sets. If we do not take other things into consideration other than just brand then this should be true right. I should all be able to take any of these brands and throw them in my car and win JBL-Seas-Dynaudio ect.
We both know no one is just going to buy a gret brand throw it in a car and win a world title.

I have had brands that cover the spectrum to some extent.

I think just about almost any brand(I said almost any) can win a show-I believe 75% is in the installers hands and the other 25% is having the expertise to tune it.IMO

I can take a perfect set of comps through them in a door. I can take a great quality comp set, deaden, place them in better locations and it will sound better.

I am no expert at all and Hebrew you could kill me at doing any of this stuff but come on. You bash almost every brand out there. Right now its just CDT.

If someone wins with CDT then following what you say. CDT would be one the best around correct.

I bet if I ask your opinion on Dynaudio this conversation would go a very different way. I am not trying to argue with you so please do not take this the wrong way. I am just trying to understand all the bashing of so many different products.

WhoSayWho?
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Hebrew Hammer-If I use your perspective on this thread-Then this would be true correct.

I do not know any of the people named below personally-Have I sat in a couple of the vehicles on the list or heard them in the last 17 years yes. Do I know people that know these poeple yes. Does that make me cool, "NO". Means I was at the right place at the right time. WOOT

Oz Audio-World Titles
Harry Kimura-USD
Richie Inferrera-a/d/s
Tommy Clark-PPI

I mean just look at how many car's Spearker Works built with different brands in them. How many legedary cars came out of there.

I mean s**t I can google search and find tons of brands and people that have won with all kinds of different stuff.

There are many brands that have made it to the finals. The list would fill up a page.

In your thought process it would mean any brand having world SQ titles is at the top. We both know this is not true. I would bet that anyone of a multitude of world champions, expert tuners/installers(Look on the list above) could take just about any quality product, install it properly, apply good processing and win. Does it take more work with some brands than others.IMO "YES".

Is CDT the best no, is it the worst no-Don hit on the head "It is ALL overpriced and over hyped"

All these manafuctures have access to same materials, designs ect. Hell look at Alpine and the F1 comp sets. If we do not take other things into consideration other than just brand then this should be true right. I should all be able to take any of these brands and throw them in my car and win JBL-Seas-Dynaudio ect.
We both know no one is just going to buy a gret brand throw it in a car and win a world title.

I think just about almost any brand(I said almost any) can win a show-I believe 75% is in the installers hands and the other 25% is having the expertise to tune it.IMO

I can take a perfect set of comps through them in a door. I can take a great quality comp set, deaden, place them in better locations and it will sound better.

I am no expert at all and Hebrew you could kill me at doing any of this stuff but come on. You bash almost every brand out there. Right now its just CDT.

If someone wins with CDT then following what you say. CDT would be one the best around correct.

I bet if I ask your opinion on Dynaudio this conversation would go a very different way. I am not trying to argue with you so please do not take this the wrong way. I am just trying to understand all the bashing of so many different products.

I don't even know why any of us takes the time to respond to HH's posts anymore. He has already said that he can't think of a component set under $600 that would be worthy of his recomendation.

:fro: please.

Pickzilla
07-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Yeh from what I have read, looking through his posts, HH pretty much is a complete tool.

genxx
07-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Pickzilla-HH is not a tool, there is no need for a personnal attack on HH. He has tons of knowledge. I am not trying to personnally attack HH, just asking him a question. I like HH just sometimes he is overbearing. Unless you have tons of knowledge be careful about challenging HH. He is very well respected on many other forums. He just has access to some of the worlds most expensive and exotic stuff.

I hope no one to include HH took what I said as a personnal attack on HH because its not, I was just trying to reason with him.

WhoSayWho?
07-01-2007, 03:11 AM
Pickzilla-HH is not a tool, there is no need for a personnal attack on HH. He has tons of knowledge. I am not trying to personnally attack HH, just asking him a question. I like HH just sometimes he is overbearing. Unless you have tons of knowledge be careful about challenging HH. He is very well respected on many other forums. He just has access to some of the worlds most expensive and exotic stuff.

I hope no one to include HH took what I said as a personnal attack on HH because its not, I was just trying to reason with him.

I am not so certain that HH is worthy of the deference people show him. I am not saying he is an evil person, I just think that it is a little silly for him to take the position that you can't buy a decent set of speakers for < $600.

genxx
07-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Thats why I asked him what I did to show that he is being a little to generalized perhaps. HH can be overbearing but he usually is trying to help. He is just abrasive a lot of the time. He does put out some good info, his delivery just ***** sometimes. Gotta take him with a grain a salt most of the time.

I do agree 100% with this statement-I just think that it is a little silly for him to take the position that you can't buy a decent set of speakers for < $600.

But <$600.00 might be a little low for HH. I think he is approaching the <$1000.00 mark most of the time. LOL

Hebrew Hammer
07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeh from what I have read, looking through his posts, HH pretty much is a complete tool.

ahhh.....did your feelings get hurt?....

Hebrew Hammer
07-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I am not so certain that HH is worthy of the deference people show him. I am not saying he is an evil person, I just think that it is a little silly for him to take the position that you can't buy a decent set of speakers for < $600.

bottom line is this....I've been around high end home/car for almost 20 years now...once you have listened to the best...and truly get a picture on what great sound is....then you can cry all you want when I make these claims...I wish at times that I wasn't such an audio snob.....but you boys have allot to learn if you truly think that CDT is anything close to what hifi sounds like....I get tired of the "it's good for the money" .... and that's basically all that it will ever be.... I don't go out of my way to bag on peoples equipment...infact on any forum I'm on, you'll never once see a post were I bag on sombodies choice of equipment....now a thread like this asking if CDT is as good as people say...I'm going going to put my 2 cents in....

so...the challenge is...anybody talking smack....my car will be open for demoing at ESN in south carolina, august 11th....bring your CDT's I'd love to hear them :laugh:

WhoSayWho?
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
bottom line is this....I've been around high end home/car for almost 20 years now...once you have listened to the best...and truly get a picture on what great sound is....then you can cry all you want when I make these claims...I wish at times that I wasn't such an audio snob.....but you boys have allot to learn if you truly think that CDT is anything close to what hifi sounds like....I get tired of the "it's good for the money" .... and that's basically all that it will ever be.... I don't go out of my way to bag on peoples equipment...infact on any forum I'm on, you'll never once see a post were I bag on sombodies choice of equipment....now a thread like this asking if CDT is as good as people say...I'm going going to put my 2 cents in....

so...the challenge is...anybody talking smack....my car will be open for demoing at ESN in south carolina, august 11th....bring your CDT's I'd love to hear them :laugh:

I don't know that anyone is "talking smack." I don't hear anyone saying that CDT sounds better than speakers costing 10x more.

What you are doing is somewhat like a Mercedes - SLR McLaren dealer stepping into a conversation about whether the Toyota or Honda is a better value and offering the opinion that neither approaches the quality or performance of the Mercedes he is peddling. Yeah, we know that. It really is not an issue.

BTW I would love to listen to your sound system (especially with the car sitting still). I am sure that it is wonderful. I am also sure that if after I listened to it I would laugh in your face if you asked me if I thought it was worth retail.

Dimininshing returns HH, diminshing returns.

Pickzilla
07-01-2007, 02:55 PM

No, no, youre right. A personal attack was uncalled for, and I do apologize.

Just seems HH is always there to put in a "bash your equipment" reply, so it is very easy to assume he is one of these 16 year olds who just wants to be annoying. Lets face it, no one goes to a car audio forum expecting to hear from super-educated people... more like prepubescent kids.

Anyhow, HH, just for my own curiousity, what brands would you recommend which would sound better than my $399 Eurosports? Please keep the price below $700. And I do wish I could audition your car, but alas SC is a bit out of the way.

focused313
07-01-2007, 03:57 PM

I do not know any of the people named below personally-Have I sat in a couple of the vehicles on the list or heard them in the last 17 years yes. Do I know people that know these people yes. Does that make me cool, "NO". Means I was at the right place at the right time. WOOT

Oz Audio-World Titles
Harry Kimura-USD
Richie Inferrera-a/d/s
Tommy Clark-PPI

I am no where near as experienced and knowledgeable as most of you, but I have to say this was a great post. As much as "we" fight about best this and best that, I believe that it's all opinions. There is no way to officially test how great something sounds to YOUR ear, you just listen to multiple setups, then you pick what's best for you. I can't say I know what great sound is, I just know that I've really liked the sound in some cars I've rode around in. It can't be official because it's not like I heard the same song, from the same cd, at the same quality being played in the same environment in the same vehicle. Those are all....controls, or variables, that play a big part in what you get to hear. Lastly, I think that the setup/location of speakers and the tuning of the equipment is the primary reason why "good speakers" sound like good speakers.

I started to LEARN how to listen for good sound in cars by taking cd quality songs played by orchestras and testing them out on my computer. I isolated various notes, frequencies, etc... so that I could hear every instrument playing. I noticed that in my car, I couldn't hear all of those instruments anymore, but in other cars I could almost hear everything, and others...I just hear loud tubas, horns, and drums.

W8 a minute
07-02-2007, 12:16 AM
[

According to your math then the win is 100% in the installers hands since most installers do the install AND the tuning.

We'll use guitars and musicians for a comparison. The guitar being the "speaker" and the musician being the "installer".

Stevie Ray Vaughn can make a Wal-mart guitar sound better than I could make the worlds most expensive guitar sound. We agree the installer makes the difference.

The problem is this:

You can tune 2 different guitars to play the exact same notes. But they will never have the exact same sound.
Now when you enter the world finals it's similar to pitting Stevie Ray against another Stevie Ray. There are a lot of great installers represented there. If you were Stevie Ray and knew you were going to a contest against another Stevie Ray would you show up with a Wal-Mart guitar or the best guitar you could find?

I don't think you need to spend 600 dollars to find decent comps. In fact I've heard some 200-300 dollar comps that blew away 600 dollar comps before. But those 600 dollar comps were CDT's so..... :hilariou:

WhoSayWho?
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
According to your math then the win is 100% in the installers hands since most installers do the install AND the tuning.

We'll use guitars and musicians for a comparison. The guitar being the "speaker" and the musician being the "installer".

Stevie Ray Vaughn can make a Wal-mart guitar sound better than I could make the worlds most expensive guitar sound. We agree the installer makes the difference.

The problem is this:

You can tune 2 different guitars to play the exact same notes. But they will never have the exact same sound.
Now when you enter the world finals it's similar to pitting Stevie Ray against another Stevie Ray. There are a lot of great installers represented there. If you were Stevie Ray and knew you were going to a contest against another Stevie Ray would you show up with a Wal-Mart guitar or the best guitar you could find?

I don't think you need to spend 600 dollars to find decent comps. In fact I've heard some 200-300 dollar comps that blew away 600 dollar comps before. But those 600 dollar comps were CDT's so..... :hilariou:

You do realize Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead? :)

W8 a minute
07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
You do realize Stevie Ray Vaughn is dead? :)

LOL. Yeah, but for the life of me I couldn't think of any modern "great" guitarists that everyone would know. I can name a few great jazz guitarists but I'm one of the few that actually likes that stuff.

WhoSayWho?
07-02-2007, 12:42 AM
LOL. Yeah, but for the life of me I couldn't think of any modern "great" guitarists that everyone would know. I can name a few great jazz guitarists but I'm one of the few that actually likes that stuff.

True story -- not long before his death I saw Vaughn get turned away from Cheetah III's in Atlanta because he did not have a shirt with a collar on. Could not beliieve it.

BTW, Peter Frampton is a helluva guitar player who is still alive (pun somewhat intended) -- don't know how many would know him though.

XHiFiX
07-02-2007, 02:02 AM
To summarize for those who don't want to read all that...there is a guy called HH who is the Audio God and if you own or like anything CDT, you must be a stupid fool! Sorry. :( Oh, and everyone needs to go listen to his car. It is the reference standard by which ALL car audio is judged! :thumbupw:

genxx
07-02-2007, 04:05 AM

The problem is this:

You missed what I was trying to explain entirely. Here let me break it down in simplier terms.

Any brand can win on any given day and have.(I don't even have to prove this people already have). Just look above at just a few brands I listed. I am not saying CDT or any other brand is the best. I have heard to many different cars then asked what are those and was shocked when they told me. No way those are brand x, no f**cking way. Sure enough they where what a shock it was.

I think there is a lot of great and decent stuff out there in a wide range of brands and cost. I am just not brand loyal at all.

I do understand what you are saying though. I would say you do have a valid point but to generalized. Also you do not like CDT. However, your anology could be used and applied to any brand. Also you say "I don't think you need to spend 600 dollars to find decent comps. In fact I've heard some 200-300 dollar comps that blew away 600 dollar comps before. But those 600 dollar comps were CDT's so". Did the same installer install both brands and optimize the install for both brands? They would of had to back up some of your statements correct?

Hebrew Hammer
07-02-2007, 09:52 AM
To summarize for those who don't want to read all that...there is a guy called HH who is the Audio God and if you own or like anything CDT, you must be a stupid fool! Sorry. :( Oh, and everyone needs to go listen to his car. It is the reference standard by which ALL car audio is judged! :thumbupw:

come on now....all of you who make this funny snide remarks are those who just wanna make themselves heard..plain and simple.... I doubt many people in our sport have owned....tested....listened to the equipment I've owned and sold...so when you have...and you have a/b'd what I have, then comment...

Hebrew Hammer
07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
You missed what I was trying to explain entirely. Here let me break it down in simplier terms.

Any brand can win on any given day and have.(I don't even have to prove this people already have). Just look above at just a few brands I listed. I am not saying CDT or any other brand is the best. I have heard to many different cars then asked what are those and was shocked when they told me. No way those are brand x, no f**cking way. Sure enough they where what a shock it was.

I think there is a lot of great and decent stuff out there in a wide range of brands and cost. I am just not brand loyal at all.

I do understand what you are saying though. I would say you do have a valid point but to generalized. Also you do not like CDT. However, your anology could be used and applied to any brand. Also you say "I don't think you need to spend 600 dollars to find decent comps. In fact I've heard some 200-300 dollar comps that blew away 600 dollar comps before. But those 600 dollar comps were CDT's so". Did the same installer install both brands and optimize the install for both brands? They would of had to back up some of your statements correct?

yes installation is the most important thing...then tuning....but you can only tune in or tune out so much...and that is the issue with the cdt drivers... they do not and will not articulate and seem to always add their own sonic signature in the midrange..once again..if you were to a/b these next to a scan...dyn...skaaning...focal be....rainbow plat/ref..... you would then realize how apparently wrong they are....

XHiFiX
07-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Hmm looks like the pot calling the kettle black. There's obviously one person here who really feels the need to be heard (and acknowledged, and praised, etc).

HH, I don't doubt your expertise with high-end, super expensive audio gear. I just think your 'holier than thou' and 'better than you' attitude rubs people the wrong way.

Just because something isn't to your liking or your personal preference (or price point), it doesn't make it ****. That's what car audio is all about...there's something for everyone to enjoy.

But anyway, peace dude!

Igno
07-02-2007, 10:26 AM
True story -- not long before his death I saw Vaughn get turned away from Cheetah III's in Atlanta because he did not have a shirt with a collar on. Could not beliieve it.

BTW, Peter Frampton is a helluva guitar player who is still alive (pun somewhat intended) -- don't know how many would know him though.

you, you, you, oh sorry don't know him:rolleyes: , how about Buckethead