PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up computer audio (repost from DIY Audio)

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to wire up the surround sound on my computer. It's a 4.1 setup, all DIY, consisting of two front IB hi-vi b3s and two rear TB 871s. The sub is a RE audio SE 15 powered by a behringer ep1500. Here's the problem I'm having. As it is right now, I cannot get true surround through my speakers due to the way the sound card is setup. I'm running male RCA into male 1/8 stereo jack from the receiver AUX to the sound card. Now, the sound card is quite good, and has a lot of stuff to fool around it. It's a soundblaster X-Fi card, and has three inputs: right and left input, rear right and left, and a center/sub input. Currently, I'm only using the right and left input because I was running in stereo before. I need to be able to control the rear two channels through the sound card, not just through my receiver. What would be the easiest way to do this? Here's how I'm looking at it: since the sound card is the source, and supports the surround mode, it is definitely sending a stereo only signal into my receiver. What if I were to do the exact same thing as I did for the fronts, but have a second input for the rear? Basically, I would have two 1/8 STEREO jacks into a converter to send it to the receiver through the RCA input. Would the computer be able to recognize that the four channels are independent, or would it merely send the rears the front signal anyway? Basically the question is, how should I hook up the wiring so that the computer knows there are four speakers being processed independently? Any help would be wonderful. :)

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
This would be so much easier if I just had composite or optical out on the **** sound card :mad:

Scoobydoo
06-10-2007, 11:20 PM
yes it would, i would suggest just buying one, the sound from the digital out is also much better than going through the stereo plugs

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
yes it would, i would suggest just buying one, the sound from the digital out is also much better than going through the stereo plugs
:slap: I already said that, but it doesn't have that option. I'm already using the composite and optical on my receiver for CD players anyway.

Scoobydoo
06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I have an extra Philips PSC703 sound card with a coax digital output.

I would be willing to send it to you for the cost of shipping at first. Then you can try it, see if it suits your needs. If you decide to keep it just send me $20 more for it. If not just ship it back to me:)

I have the box, manual and updated drivers for it.

Scoobydoo
06-10-2007, 11:28 PM
:slap: I already said that, but it doesn't have that option. I'm already using the composite and optical on my receiver for CD players anyway.

ok good luck then, i cant picture the config you are describing in my mind right now so i cant suggest if it will work or not, **** you beer and your effects on my mind;)

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Here, lemme make a diagram for you. One sec.

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:48 PM
God **** sketchup 6 pro is horrible compared to 4 and 5. @last definitely knew what they were doing with 4 and 5.

PV Audio
06-10-2007, 11:49 PM
How the **** do you change panel color in this program? It used to be the first thing undel model info. :mad:

Scoobydoo
06-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I think you would need 6 channel analog connections on your receiver, do you have those?

If you only have "aux" stereo input there is no way for your receiver to decode the surround sound

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I think you would need 6 channel analog connections on your receiver, do you have those?

If you only have "aux" stereo input there is no way for your receiver to decode the surround soundKinda, but only in DVD mode. The thing is though, my receiver knows that the two rear channels are there, the only time it gets hairy is the moment when it leaves the rear jacks. Here's my diagram, albeit horribly made cause this program is the biggest clusterfuck of a good product I've ever seen:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5757/diaaf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm running a dual RCA line into a 1/8 headphone jack that plugs into the green input on the sound card. I need to get the rear channel signal to the receiver through the grey input on the sound card.

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I will bump le thread to ze top.

btnhfan
06-11-2007, 01:51 AM
This maybe?

http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/USB_Audio_desc.htm

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 01:57 AM
...How does that make anything different? It would just be two processors instead of one, which is useless.

quakerroatmeal
06-11-2007, 02:28 AM
I'd really like to know this as well. I want to connect my computer speakers to other units with true surround instead of using matrix mode.

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Yea son, I want to hear the ****in Chinese comin up behind me before I blast 'em with the M16 in BF2.

Scoobydoo
06-11-2007, 04:34 AM
IMO there is no way that is going to work correctly. To get true surround sound like DD/DTS you need either a digital input or 6 discrete channels

The best you can hope to do with your setup is run the front left&right like you already are and use the receiver in Dolby Pro Logic mode to decode the stereo signal into surround sound. DPL1 *****, but if you have DPL2, it actually does a decent job of decoding the stereo source. Since you have no center channel run it in "phantom" mode or whatever the setting might be for no center channel.

Otherwise get a sound card with digital out and a digital audio switcher if you have no more inputs

If you really want to rig it just to get quasi surround I would do this:

First you would need a+b speakers on your receiver and you would need to turn both on

Hook the front output from your soundcard into the right aux and then hook both front speakers to the right speaker inputs on both a+b speakers

Hook the rear outputs from your soundcard into the left aux input and then hook both rear speakers to the left speaker inputs on both a+b speakers

Doing it that way will get you panning from front to back, but not side to side and it is gonna screw up any other source you want to play.

quakerroatmeal
06-11-2007, 04:37 AM
What if my logitechs only use Green/Orange/Black input plugs (no coax/dig/optical out). Is there any converter that does green/orange/black > rca? Even then would this give me 5.1? Don't mean to steal your thread, seems like we're on somewhat same topic.

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I still think that running two 1/8 jacks into the single AUX RCA should work for two reasons. First, the receiver is what does the decoding, and is completely independent from the sound card. The receiver is what gets the signal, not sends it. Secondly, since the receiver gets both signals from the sound card, the information is going to the receiver, and maybe, just maybe, it will see that it's a surround signal. Both the sound card and the receiver are THX and DTS compatible, so hopefully it'll pick up on it.

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 04:16 PM
PV Audio don't **** around. I got it setup, and it's better than the home theatre :laugh:

I wound up using my DVD inputs for the setup, and put one of the CD players on the AUX input. Only problem I'm having is that the rear left won't get recognized, but the other four are (yes, I found a center to use).

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Okay yeah, everytime I try to test the sub, it plays a test tone in the sub AND the rear left channel. Que el f?

PV Audio
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Scratch that again, just had to run a test tone through the system. PHENOMENAL!

quakerroatmeal
06-12-2007, 01:55 AM
You got it to work?

PV Audio
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Yess sah!

quakerroatmeal
06-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Well what are u waiting for! Care to explain duhh.

PV Audio
06-13-2007, 12:19 PM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5757/diaaf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Okay, in this pic, I ran a 1/8 plug from each of the three inputs, which each split into a RCA at the end. From there, I used the DVD inputs for front (green) surround (grey) and center/sub (pink). I turned the receiver to just recognize 6ch input, and bam, computer is controlling everything.