PDA

View Full Version : AVIC D3 *****! Help

RC51
06-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Just installed the Pioneer AVIC D3 in my truck and the sound quality is awful. I mean it sounds like crap. I'm comparing it to before installing the unit. I'm thinking the problem may be due to low pre out voltage. But, would like some opinions.

My current system is as follows:

Head Unit- Eclipse 8061

Speakers- JL 6.5 ZR's

Subs- Two JL 10W3's

Amps- Alpine PDX 4.150 (running the ZR's bi-wired 150watts each)
and a JL 500.1 running the 10W3's

The system has always sounded incredible. (at least to me) I've been very happy with it. But, I decided I would go with a nav unit that had better Ipod controls. I ended up getting the Avic D3. With the Eclipse I always run it FLAT and the sound is incredible. No need to change any of the Treb/Mid controls. I no that the Eclipse is 8 volt compared to 2 volts. But, can that make such a difference? It's like going from AM radio to FM radio. That huge of a difference. It's almost like there is a pillow in front of the seperates now. Even with the trebble (EQ) all the way up there is no brightness at all. It sounds like a mono signal it's so bad. The mid base is no where as punchy. I had to turn the gaines way up on my sub amp. Once I did that it was alright. But, nothing I did could get the imaging or sound quality I have been acustomed to with the Eclipse 8061.

Again, all I did was swap head units, everything else stayed the same. After several hours of tuning I have decided to give up on the head unit which brings me to a question. Is the Eclipse 5510 going to be much better with sound quality? If so, how will it compare to the 8061? What are the chances I'll be OK with the sound quality differences between the 8061 & the 5510? I purchased the Avic D3 from Circuit City and they have a 30 day return policy no questions asked. But, as it turns out they have the 5510. So, I'll just have to pay the difference and off I go.

It's funny, I called Pioneer up to discuss my issue with them about the lack of sound quality and they suggested that I purchase one of there external EQ's that will bump the volts to 4 and greatly improve the sound qualily. The Pioneer tech told me that the problem was the low voltage. The tech wasn't surprized at all that I'm having sound quality issues. It was odd.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone had the same issue? Before I do the swap again I would appreciate any help. I'm not appposed to putting the 8861 back in if there isn't a nav unit that has a good DAC that can produce exceptional sound quality. Thanks

Igno
06-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I think I am going to go optical from my clarion Max675 to a DRZ9255, the clarion has a amp cancel feature, so I am thinking I can use it as a transport basically. The Clarion for T/A and active, it may not work. I really don't know what I am doing but I may have to control the volume from the clarion?does that make any sense to some smarter people?

LOW S-10
06-10-2007, 02:24 AM
It's funny, I called Pioneer up to discuss my issue with them about the lack of sound quality and they suggested that I purchase one of there external EQ's that will bump the volts to 4 and greatly improve the sound qualily. The Pioneer tech told me that the problem was the low voltage. The tech wasn't surprized at all that I'm having sound quality issues. It was odd.
Either buy an AudioControls matrix to improve voltage up to 12, or upgrade to the 5510 or even the 6610. The 6610 is not going to be carried in the store, only on circuitcity.com

djeazie
06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I went from a 7800 to the D3 and I didnt have that problem. I like the parametric eq its simple to operate. If your unhappy id try the external eq first, but im biased because I like my D3 so much. The D3 is wicked deck for the price.

Street DreamsCC
06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
when you drop in pre out voltage yes it will sound different. going from 8v to 2v would be a big change. You would have to ajust amp settings to add. You might have to adjust different settings on the D3 to give it a more defining sound also.

negativezeroz
06-10-2007, 01:54 PM
my D3 sounds better than my D310 did..both running off my stock amps

Tonyguy
06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
try adding an audiocontrol dqs or dqxs. it'll boost the voltage and give you tons of eq options.

RC51
06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love the features and ease of use the D3 has. Just very unhappy with the sound quality. How would the Audiocontrol added to the D3 compare to a solo 5510? Pros and cons?