PDA

View Full Version : Newto HDtv, got a question.

JohnnyChuttz
06-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I just bought the Samsung 50" DLP HDTV (HL-T5075S). They were handing out flyers walking into Circuit City and had it for $1199. I begged the wife and we got it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/johnychuttz/Picture.jpg

I have the digital cable through Time Warner. I have the DVR box wich allows me to use a couple of the HD Channels. They look great. But the Standard Def. channels look a little fuzzy and not clear at all. Anyone know a fix for that? Is there a setting I missed?

I am not going to order the Hd package from the cable company as I am moving in two months. But I thought the picture would be better for standard def. At the bar at work, we have ~46" LG Plasma on a single cable signal that is split ~20 times. It looks great on standard cable.

I have the TV connected to the box with the component(RGB) cables. They are not really Rd Grn Bl, but some three way(white red yellow). That shouldn't matter right? An RCA is an RCA, or is it in this case?

The DVD player and PS2 look good, not fuzzy at all.

SourDeez
06-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Thats just the way it is. Thats how they get you to buy the HD channels. Standard def looks horrible on HD tv's. sorry

Blados
06-09-2007, 09:19 PM
You can try to change your format to standard 480 for non hi-def channels. It will look slightly better.

jrr323
06-09-2007, 09:20 PM
yeah regular channels don look that good. i have the same tv except the 56 inch model and the regular channels look okay but they hd channels look incredible.

delvryboy
06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
standard=poo on HD TV's

I have direct TV now and it's the best SD so far.

Another thing, go get yourself an antenna. I have more free HD programming that comcast offers in this area.

bonesninja
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
plus i don't think that the rca cables are the same as component cables.....i could be wrong but i do think they are different

1loudsuv
06-09-2007, 10:10 PM
yep standard cable is poo but still watchable. i pay $7 extra a month for hte hd package which comes with something like 16 hd channels.

97cavy
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
There is a "pass thru" setting on the time warner box i have (scientific atlanta?) that switchs to whatever will look best for the programming you are watching. SD isint THAT bad, but the HD is amazing

quakerroatmeal
06-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Gotta give up sacrifices for the wants and needs of Hi-Def. That means sacrificing standard definition.

mlstrass
06-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Majority of HD TV's have very poor SD tuners in them, just how it is...

JohnnyChuttz
06-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I am stuck. Oh well, at least I have an excuse to get a ps3 now.:D

hoss
06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
plus i don't think that the rca cables are the same as component cables.....i could be wrong but i do think they are different

except for the colors on the ends, they are the same. they are just RCA cables, they are just color coded for ease of use.

smokinkane
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
The component cables RGB are usually sheilded much more than the standard RCA cables, I would get on ebay and purchase them. You can get a 6 foot set for like nothing, that is what I did. Although what other members have stated is mostly correct, HDTV's are setup for hi-res output. The SDTV tuners are usually not very good, especially on the lower end HDTV models. Think of it like this, I'm sure you have an LCD computer screen. Have you ever noticed that if you select a resolution outside of the "native" resolution that it looks the same is your new TV, a little fuzzy. DLP and LCD technology usually is optimized or native to one resolution, unless the manufactorer decides to add optimizations for other resolutions, of which most don't to much more time and effort i.e. money involved. I noticed the samething you noticed with my HD set, but once you get more HD programming, you won't care about the SD stuff. You should try some OTA HD before purchasing a subscription, PM if you want some more info. The old VOOM satelite boxes are great OTAHD receivers, I have one and can pull in all the network HD channels for free and its perfectly legal.

1loudsuv
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I am stuck. Oh well, at least I have an excuse to get a ps3 now.:D

if your in a small room its like your getting a two for one with the ps3.... heater+game system.

j3bus2k3
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Teh reason your LG looks better on SD channels is because of its proprietary XD Engine that boosts low level signals. Samsungs are notorious for looking the worst of the bunch on SD; not to mention with Time Warner/Bright house cable, most channels in their "Digital Line-up" are in fact still standard. Only DirectTV has pure digital or HD programming. Try swapping your composite cables, for some true component cables. My guess would be a bit of an improvment overall towards line noise, etc...

And dont get a PS3 just to get a blu-ray player; A.) its only 1080i, and B) It wont up-scale normal DVDs. for $100 more, get the Sony BDSP1...

aaron7114
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Teh reason your LG looks better on SD channels is because of its proprietary XD Engine that boosts low level signals. Samsungs are notorious for looking the worst of the bunch on SD; not to mention with Time Warner/Bright house cable, most channels in their "Digital Line-up" are in fact still standard. Only DirectTV has pure digital or HD programming. Try swapping your composite cables, for some true component cables. My guess would be a bit of an improvment overall towards line noise, etc...

And dont get a PS3 just to get a blu-ray player; A.) its only 1080i, and B) It wont up-scale normal DVDs. for $100 more, get the Sony BDSP1...

Yeah it does.

j3bus2k3
06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah it does.

New firmware then? It used to downgrade both games and movies from 720P to 480P on TV's NOT 1080i resolutions...

aaron7114
06-11-2007, 11:57 PM
New firmware then? It used to downgrade both games and movies from 720P to 480P on TV's NOT 1080i resolutions...

Yeah it got updated in either the last firmware or the firmware before that...can't remember. It upscales dvds, ps1, and ps2 games.

j3bus2k3
06-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah it got updated in either the last firmware or the firmware before that...can't remember. It upscales dvds, ps1, and ps2 games.

Looks like it was released May 24th of this year...cool; that was my biggest gripe about the PS3...

aaron7114
06-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Looks like it was released May 24th of this year...cool; that was my biggest gripe about the PS3...

I haven't tried any ps1 or ps2 games, but I have watched a few dvds since the new firmware and it DEFINATELY looks ALOT better.

1loudsuv
06-12-2007, 01:19 AM
yep firmware 1.8 upscales dvds but allot fanboys say its the best thing out their now... sure... my a2 is better but i better theirs better then the a2. and it is 1080p 24fps. only gripe about the ps3 is its loud. and no ir control. but heh for $600 you cant get a better game system blu ray combo lol either way its kind of a bad idea to get any blu ray standalone player saying come november their will be new mandatory stuff that will give current players problems with new discs using those features. heh we already get them with pirates..

j3bus2k3
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
yep firmware 1.8 upscales dvds but allot fanboys say its the best thing out their now... sure... my a2 is better but i better theirs better then the a2. and it is 1080p 24fps. only gripe about the ps3 is its loud. and no ir control. but heh for $600 you cant get a better game system blu ray combo lol either way its kind of a bad idea to get any blu ray standalone player saying come november their will be new mandatory stuff that will give current players problems with new discs using those features. heh we already get them with pirates..

...your Toshiba HDA2 is 1080p?

And dude, please use punctuation; I cant follow your thoughts, ramblings, sentences at all...

...'tis sad really.

1loudsuv
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Is your Toshiba HD A2 1080p?

Dude, please use punctuation. I cant follow your thoughts and ramblings and sentences at all...

It is sad really.

After re-reading my post i cant even understand what i was trying to say :laugh:
I guess being on multiple forums and handling the tier system on the avs forum has done that to me.

What i was trying to say is that the ps3 is 1080p 24fps and it upscales dvds pretty good, but that my hd a2 does a better job even though it's only 1080i it still does a better job. We all know the myths and facts about 1080i and 1080p when the source material is 1080p (disc) if you don't then Google it and read up. More down sides to the ps3 are that it is very loud and produces allot of heat and has no infrared remote control.

ps. I took some of your advice and edited your post ;)