PDA

View Full Version : My HU is dying

konechiwa
06-08-2007, 12:32 AM
So...

I take my HU, kenwood excelon x590 out like i normally do when i leave my car. Went into the theatre, saw knocked up, come back out, the screen doesn't work. Everything BUT the screen.

I can't see the time, volume, settings, which PISSES ME OFF. The HU itself is fully functional, just the screen doesn't work.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I bought it less then a year ago...To lazy to look up kenwoods warranty length, but would this be covered under warranty? because i don't wanna spend 50-100 bucks or whatever they'll charge me if i can get a new nice one for just a little more.

:( i liked that HU.

Calikid
06-08-2007, 12:34 AM
give it some seven-up??

konechiwa
06-08-2007, 12:52 AM
give it some seven-up??

OMG IT WORKS NOW.

wait.

no it doesn't.

dvrmstrng
06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
buy my 9857 for pretty cheap to replace it?

fwb_1234
06-08-2007, 12:58 AM
maybe you just have a dirty connection.
blow in it like an old n64, it ALWAYS worked after that method.

Prowler573
06-08-2007, 04:56 AM
maybe you just have a dirty connection.
blow in it like an old n64, it ALWAYS worked after that method.

This was my first guess upon reading the opening post.

The contacts between the faceplate and the chassis are likely dirty. Clean them and see if that cures your problem.

As far as Kenwood's warranty length - if you bought the HU from an authorized source Kenwood warranties their eXcelon units for 2 years from the original date of purchase. If you didn't buy it from an authorized vendor (and the only authorized eXcelon dealer online is Crutchfield) then if there is a problem Kenwood would tell you to go fly a kite. If cleaning the contacts doesn't cure the issue then you'd better hope whatever vendor you bought it from offered some kind of in-house warranty coverage and that it is still in effect.

konechiwa
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
yeah i bought it from crutchfield. It was on sale and i knew an additional coupon so all in all i got it for about 30% off (80 bucks off, not too bad).

I'll try to clean the connection, but if it doesn't work i'll guess i can just send it back.

I do believe cardomain is now authorized to sell kenwood Excelon now, they have their products up on their shop. That doesn't prove it though,...

NTY on the alpine deck. I don't know why, because i know alpine decks aren't that bad, but i think their ugly and i hate alpine decks. No idea why.

konechiwa
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
i just blew on the connections and it still doesn't work. I'll try a Q-Tip here soon.

If it still doesn't work..

Does anyone have a XXV-01D they want to give me?

Prowler573
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
In my experience Crutchfield is very, very good as far as turnaround time on warranty-covered repairs.

I had a KDC-X569 which had less than 2 months left on the 2 year warranty when it quit reading CDs and would give a TOC Error everytime you attempted to play one.

I called up Crutch, they pulled my invoice to verify that the warranty was still in effect, gave me my RA # and all, and then gave me instructions for sending it back to them (they pay shipping both ways for this, btw, which is a really nice touch)

From the day I boxed it up and sent it to VA to getting it dropped back off in working condition by some UPS guy was only two weeks. Actually just shy of that...it was like 13 days total I went without a HU. A cruddy two weeks, to be sure, but it certainly could have been worse.

And no, I do not want to give you my Anniversary-edition deck. :laugh:

konechiwa
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
i saw a xxv on ebay that went for 220 shipped. I was watching it last night, but never glanced at how long was left.

It could have been mine. :(

Those decks are SOOO nice.

anyway. I'll talk to crutchfield today. I'm redoing my system anyway (note the sig) so hopefully i can get ready to do that while it is away.