PDA

View Full Version : Crappy alarm install....

brchd
06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Had a Autopage alarm installed a few weeks ago bu a local shop, and today i was running wires under the dash for my 4 channel and saw that these f@cks didnt even mount the brain or shock sensor. the brain was just pushed up under the dash with all the other wires and the shock sensor was zip tied to some wires under the dash...should i take it back and have them do it right? after all i paid for what the shop owner said was A "professional" install....help guys.....it was done at Electronics Depot in Apopka...AKA Hi Joes.....

azbass
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
just take it back?

what do you need us to do?

Blunt
06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
every alarm i've had installed by a shop just shoved the brain under the dash. but i liked it cause it made it easier for me to hide it right.

brchd
06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
oh okay, but not mounting the shock sensor tho?

brchd
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
just take it back?

what do you need us to do?

just getting some input.

mx519
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
WTF.. why are you asking us. You should know to take it back.

quest51210
06-08-2007, 01:31 AM
depnds where the brain was shoved...many places offer ample space to hide it. if you dug for it, it probably is a good spot. i know it didnt just fall out or you hould have said so.

as for the shock sensor, that is pretty much the industry standard in any bay. usually ziptied to a heavy harness or loom under the dash. in fact only digital shock sensors do well mounted to metal surfaces.

so maybe you should become a real installer before you come on a car audio forum and talk smack about what seems to be a pretty straight forward install.

jiggy2dmax
06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
If you can find the brain, its not a good install. If you can find the siren its not a good install. A alarm works only as well as it was installed or else it just becomes a good keyless entry/RS.

And before anyone jumps in yes, I still do alarm installs for buddies or help them out. You will not find your siren or brain when Im done.

brchd
06-09-2007, 10:01 AM
depnds where the brain was shoved...many places offer ample space to hide it. if you dug for it, it probably is a good spot. i know it didnt just fall out or you hould have said so.

as for the shock sensor, that is pretty much the industry standard in any bay. usually ziptied to a heavy harness or loom under the dash. in fact only digital shock sensors do well mounted to metal surfaces.

so maybe you should become a real installer before you come on a car audio forum and talk smack about what seems to be a pretty straight forward install.

wasnt talking smack...just didnt know if this was right thats why i said HELP...i was looking for info....only reason i said this is because another shop that was going to do the same alarm install for 100 bucks more said they were going to mount the shock sensor to the steering column.... and if i just looked under the dash and found the brain without even looking for it, SO COULD A THIEF!!! kthxbye azz

azbass
06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
if you are too worried about it, ziptie the brain in place. and mount the shock sensor to the steering column and be done with it.

ngsm13
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Indeed.

nG

THUNDERBIRD
06-09-2007, 10:38 AM
are the wires wrapped in electrical tape all the way to the brain? i would take it back if i were you. but the hard work is over so you could always pull the alarm out cut the wires about 6 inches from where the are connected in the car and wrap the wires in electrical tape the hide the brain reroute the alarm wires and then solder them back onto the end you cut off.

ngsm13
06-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Lol.

I'll hide the brain decent when I do an alarm install for a customer... I've done a few where I've made it almost IMPOSSIBLE to find... even when you take the underdash off...

nG

TreyE
06-09-2007, 10:58 AM
IMO if a thief wants something, they will get it.

a good install will slow them down, but if they really want something, theyll get it.

jiggy2dmax
06-09-2007, 06:15 PM
IMO if a thief wants something, they will get it.

a good install will slow them down, but if they really want something, theyll get it.

Exactly, an alarm shouldn't be a replacement for common sense. If the siren's not hidden try your best to hide it. It doesn't take long to break a window, pop the hood and cut the siren if its visable. A battery backup+hidden brain and siren+piezo's makes for a top notch alarm system The only real point I see in an alarm is to make it more difficult for a theif so they'll move on to a easier vehicle.

jmanpc
06-09-2007, 06:23 PM
my favorite alarm install was when we hid the brain and a microwave sensor under the cupholders in the console. if a thief coulda found that, they deserve to steal ****.

we usually just pulled out the gove box and put the brain back there behind it.

SethPhillips
06-09-2007, 06:28 PM
If you can find the brain, its not a good install. If you can find the siren its not a good install. A alarm works only as well as it was installed or else it just becomes a good keyless entry/RS.

And before anyone jumps in yes, I still do alarm installs for buddies or help them out. You will not find your siren or brain when Im done.

PREACH!!!! can the church get an AMEN!!!

it's all about the install...... unless its a bulldog!!!

Wragold
06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Had a Autopage alarm installed a few weeks ago bu a local shop, and today i was running wires under the dash for my 4 channel and saw that these f@cks didnt even mount the brain or shock sensor. the brain was just pushed up under the dash with all the other wires and the shock sensor was zip tied to some wires under the dash...should i take it back and have them do it right? after all i paid for what the shop owner said was A "professional" install....help guys.....it was done at Electronics Depot in Apopka...AKA Hi Joes.....

Well durrr Its Apopka wezz dont evn noe 'ow te speel right let alone insteal an allarm.

brchd
06-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Well durrr Its Apopka wezz dont evn noe 'ow te speel right let alone insteal an allarm.

LOL...the owner...some Arab tried selling me "pro" tweeters when i asked him for infinity or polk or JL....he showed me some power acoustik, and SPL...telling me "these are pro tweeters" these are what i want....for $42.00....LOL

Wragold
06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Dude I know. I went there to see how much 1/0 awg wire was and they wanted $6.00 a foot, and i dont even think it was the good stuff.

brchd
06-09-2007, 07:15 PM
go to skycraft, they have streetwires blue 0 gauge for 2.75 ft...i was just in there today and was checking it out....

Wragold
06-09-2007, 07:21 PM
sweet thanks for the tip. I haven't been down there yet. Ive been wanting to go there but i don't want to drive all the way there by my self, i'm very prone to getting lost.

AJē06
06-09-2007, 07:35 PM
all this "fooling the customer" talk is pissing me off...

stores always do that ****

azbass
06-09-2007, 07:37 PM
i fooled many a customer.

its how i made more money

wolfman1966
06-09-2007, 07:44 PM
PREACH!!!! can the church get an AMEN!!!

it's all about the install...... unless its a bulldog!!!

what difference does a bulldog make? I thought bulldog was a cheap self-installed alarm and would be pretty easy to disable. Have I heard wrong?

jmanpc
06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
get a lion. people can get past a dog, but no one fucks with a lion :fyi:

TreyE
06-09-2007, 11:56 PM
best spot to hide a brain and wiring, that is impossible to get to:

behind rear cargo panels (alot of extending wires though)

but the best one is under the carpet, under the center console. if a thief can rip out the whole center console, plus the carpet under that, then he deserves it. lol

THUNDERBIRD
06-10-2007, 03:56 PM
i personally like where i have mine and that is up high behind my hvac controls, you have to pull the underdash, shifter panel, gauge cluster panel and the radio hvac panel then the radio and hvac control just to see it. i also like my buddies and i put it up behind his radio. the past few alarms have done i have just been putting them behind the headlight controls. or ontop of the fuse panel, easy for me to get too and program them when i get my bitwriter cable in.

quest51210
06-11-2007, 01:54 AM
most common is behind the speedo cluster

mx519
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
lol Guys. The bulldog alarm system shouldnt even be considered an alarm. There isnt even a shock sensor. I had one on my explorer for kicks and giggles. It's more to show off, and make people think you have a system. You could shatter the glass or steal the rims and that thing would not go off. The only thing its could for is the talking commands, to mess with friends. It says "System Armed/System Disarmed, and "Please help me, Please help me"

RFCV
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
The Bulldog alarm system shouldn't even be considered an alarm. There isn't even a shock sensor.

Not correct. There is a dual stage shock sensor (warn away on lighter hits with voice "You are too close to the vehicle, please stand back" or chirps & full alarm with voice/chirps on harder hits, ie., actual theft attempt).

SuperchargedRS
07-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Go to a auto mechanic school and look around, these are the people you are going to have work on your car????

When it comes to things where a intense attention to detail is required (such as a alarm install) if you cant do it yourself, F it and just get the club or something.

Remember all that makes a "professional" is someone being dumb enough to pay them.

Grand Architect
07-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Take that **** back.

troy_audi0
07-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Take it back let them know you are unhappy with the quality of the install..
Make sure the wires are all taped up & you cant really tell that the alarm is in the car..
If it is still bad take it to another shop & get a quaote to do it right.. then take that to the shop let them know you wont be back becose of the lack of skill in the shop..
then smile..