PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DEH-P5900IB and GEX-P920XM Tuner Display Problem

bcruze
06-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a Pioneer DEH-P5900IB hooked up to a GEX-P920XM tuner. Before Friday, the XM display on the 5900 was showing:

Artist
Title

....on the two-line display. As of Saturday, The first line is switchable with the display button, but the second line only has the name of the channel and won't go back to showing the name of the song.

I've tried resetting the XM tuner to no avail...I've also replaced the XM tuner with a new unit and that didn't help either. I've reset the 5900 to factory settings but the problem remains.

The manual states that the display only cycles the top line, but prior to this my display button cycled through several configurations, namely the one above. Here are a couple of pictures confirming the Artist-Title configuration:

http://cruze.org/media/tuner1.jpg
http://cruze.org/media/tuner2.jpg

Any ideas?

pellis
06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
i can't answer your question, but i have had xm for 3 years and i have had 3 different pioneer cd players. i have never seen a pioneer that displayed both title and artist. all i have seen was just one line at a time. i have the deh-p880prs right now and all that is does is one line with the xm direct tuner (not made by pioneer). i might have to pick up the pioneer gex-p920xm just for the display.

just curious, do you still have the old gex-p920xm tuner? if so, how much will you sell it for?

* i applaud you for including pics, a lot of people ask questions about xm's display with different cd players and no one ever include pics.

Sugrat
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
I have the terk unit for my 9800BT and it only displays one line of text but I did hear that the pioneer tuner displays both.

I would recommend that you call pioneer and if the first person can't help you - ask to speak to a level 2 tech, those guys know what they are talking about!

Please let us know your findings, just like pellis, i may get it just to have the two lines :-)

bcruze
06-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Fixed it.

Prior to the 5900, I had a 4900 in there but hated the display. The top line always said 'XM TUNER' and I had the second line set to song title. I swapped it out with my 5900 and had the artist/song configuration. On a hunch, I picked up a 4900 on my lunch break, swapped it out with my 5900, set the XM source and then set the display to Song, then swapped my 5900 back in and...

http://cruze.org/media/tuner7.jpg

BAM! Artist and song! So, the 4900 sets some sort of option on the XM tuner to display the second line as song title. I studied the behavior more this time. When I change a channel, the station name comes up for about 2sec then switches over to the song title. Now I've got the burden of the actual problem, keeping a 4900 handy if power is lost...wonder if Pioneer will give me one for finding a bug. :)

I documented the swap here:

http://cruze.org/projects/showdate.html?date=2007-06-07

I'd like to know how these head units interface with the XM tuner to set options and whatnot...clearly it's something set in the XM tuner. I wonder if this works on other head units above the 5900 or if you'd be able to set the XM tuner with a head unit lesser than the 4900. I'm thinking no, since the 4900 is the first one in the product line with a two-line display. Lemme know if you guys experiment with it any.

bcruze
06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately, the replacement was an RMA from Crutchfield so I'll have to send it back to them. :(

pellis
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
glad to see that you got everything back up and running. yeah, throughout the years of using various xm receivers with pioneer, i have run into various quirks here and there. if i reset my deh-p880prs with the xm direct receiver that i have now. it will not detect it when you first power it up. i have to switch the source to radio-power off-radio-power off-radio-power off-hit display to turn demo off-radio-swtich source and the pioneer hu will detect my xm receiver. i took the cheap way out and bought the older xm direct tuner from ebay for like $15. i knew that i would have a problem with it. found my solution on xm411.com.