PDA

View Full Version : Is the crossover in this HU sufficient?

mrmex
06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I need a little help with using the crossover in the HU, only familiar with amps with built-ins. The head unit is a pioneer deh-690ub as seen here. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_338834008_tab=B,00.html?compName =PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

Crossover info per website:
High-Pass Crossover (HPF) 50/63/80/100/ 125/160/200Hz, 0/-6/-12dB/Oct.
Subwoofer Crossover (LPF) 50/63/80/100/ 125/160/200Hz, -6/-12/-18dB/Oct.
Subwoofer Direct Control Key
RCA Preouts 3 pair (Front, Rear, Sub/Non-Fading)

The speaker:
front: DA compnents ( which have crossovers)
subs: 2 CVR's
the rears will be powered off the hu.

Amp requirements, now do i need amps with crossovers for anything. i want to use some w/out for the smaller size and i can get some old school quality. How reliable/clean is the HU x-over?

Igno
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
if you have passive crossovers don't worry about , should be fine

Prowler573
06-05-2007, 02:28 PM
if you have passive crossovers don't worry about , should be fine

The passive crossover supplied with his components aren't going to keep subbass frequencies from the midrange drivers :fyi:
They will send the highest frequencies to the tweeter, obviously, and send everything else to the midwoofer.
If he doesn't want them continually bottoming out then he's still going to want to HP the component set at around 60-65Hz or higher (dependent on preference)

mrmex - the internal crossover network in that HU should be fine for your needs. :)

Igno
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
The passive crossover supplied with his components aren't going to keep subbass frequencies from the midrange drivers :fyi:
They will send the highest frequencies to the tweeter, obviously, and send everything else to the midwoofer.
If he doesn't want them continually bottoming out then he's still going to want to HP the component set at around 60-65Hz or higher (dependent on preference)

mrmex - the internal crossover network in that HU should be fine for your needs. :)

yea I know, and I told him it would be ok, why go into what they do if he can't tell that from looking at the specs, its not like he is going active, no where in my post did I say not to use his HP filters:eyebrow: and send his mids 20 Hz:rolleyes:

mrmex
06-05-2007, 06:17 PM
cool, thanks guys...were all friends here, no need to mean.

Gossamer, seems like youve answered every question i have posted on the board, with detail. Im a man who appreciates explanations, thanks.

Prowler573
06-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Gossamer, seems like youve answered every question i have posted on the board, with detail. Im a man who appreciates explanations, thanks.
Gossamer?
I think that must be the 1st time anyone has addressed me as such. :laugh:

I'm not Gossamer - that is the nickname I have given my car due to the custom graphics a good friend of mine made for me.
See here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/prowler573/Cosmetics/GossamerGeoDecal.jpg

On the other hand, MY username is Prowler573. Pretty much everywhere I frequent on the 'Net, matter of fact.
If you see "Prowler573" somewhere then likely as not it is me. :)

mrmex
06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Hah, that was not intentional...prowler. Gossamer is a pretty cool name though, maybe you should start going by that.