PDA

View Full Version : going active...? tweeter suggestions?

billabongcr
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
so i just bought some re xxx's. ive never looked into "going active", so im gunna need alittle help.

do i just look for an xover that splits the power how i want it, and find a tweeter i like? im sure theres more to it. can someone point me in the right direction?

i really had no plans of doing any of this, but i always wanted some xxx's, and found a set brand new, for an insane price so i picked them up.

help?!

tweeter suggestion? as usual, clarity at low and high volume, little to no distortion.

Fast1one
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
You need a four channel with on board active controls and hopefully bandpassable channels for the mids, or a high pass filter on your deck. Either that or an external crossover. As for tweets, im pretty sure the XXXs dont like to be played over 2K, atleast not well, so look for something large that will play down to around 2-2.5k depending on personal preference.

Edit; Thats just to get you STARTED, ideally you want a crossover with adjustable slopes to find what you want...

billabongcr
06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
You need a four channel with on board active controls and hopefully bandpassable channels for the mids, or a high pass filter on your deck. Either that or an external crossover. As for tweets, im pretty sure the XXXs dont like to be played over 2K, atleast not well, so look for something large that will play down to around 2-2.5k depending on personal preference.

Edit; Thats just to get you STARTED, ideally you want a crossover with adjustable slopes to find what you want...

where could i go about shopping and comparing for an adjustable crossover?

ive been looking at a kx650.4 for my component amp. the xxx's will be paired with my RE RE's. probably the re's in the front with the xxx's in the back, as thats what will be more dominantly heared being as itll be in an extended cab pickup.

another option for my component amp would be one from usamps, as i have a good hookup for them i just recently found out.

Fast1one
06-05-2007, 12:16 AM
where could i go about shopping and comparing for an adjustable crossover?

ive been looking at a kx650.4 for my component amp. the xxx's will be paired with my RE RE's. probably the re's in the front with the xxx's in the back, as thats what will be more dominantly heared being as itll be in an extended cab pickup.

another option for my component amp would be one from usamps, as i have a good hookup for them i just recently found out.Why use both REs and xxxs? just use one set...

BTW a great budget crossover http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COUSTIC-XM6-3WAY-6CHANNEL-ELECTRONIC-CROSSOVER-XM-6_W0QQitemZ220118179498QQihZ012QQcategoryZ79840QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On ebay ALL the time and fairly flexible..

billabongcr
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Why use both REs and xxxs? just use one set...

BTW a great budget crossover http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COUSTIC-XM6-3WAY-6CHANNEL-ELECTRONIC-CROSSOVER-XM-6_W0QQitemZ220118179498QQihZ012QQcategoryZ79840QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On ebay ALL the time and fairly flexible..

id like to use both sets so im not runnin greatness in one end of the truck, and stock in the other. think itll make a difference, 2 sets over 1?

the truck search is still in progress but itll be either:
01-02 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
03-04 Silverado Reg Cab z71
02-03 Dodge Ram Reg Cab

kinda leanin towards the 03-04 reg cab z71..but its whatever i can find at the price.

and with that crossover you linked me to..it says a 3-way 6 channel..so id only need 1 to run all my door speakers..correct?

billabongcr
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
so would my kx650.4 be decent for the re's and the xxx's?