PDA

View Full Version : what you're motor oil of choice?

SethPhillips
06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
just seeing what everyone use's out there..

i use valvoline max lif high milage synthetic in my daodge spirt 4cyl. w/ 109,000 miles

and royal purple in my 91 gmc sonoma w/ 70,000 miles on it. also use royal purple in the rear diff.

slick rick
06-04-2007, 12:19 PM
mobil1 5w-30 SYN

Latina33
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
mobil1 5w-30 SYN

+1

SethPhillips
06-04-2007, 12:23 PM
ive hurd that's good stuff.

ngsm13
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Castrol GTX.

nG

bigbirney420
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Mobil One 10w30, or Pennzol Platinum synthetic is on the same level

btlking
06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
quaker full synthetic 10-40

fakename
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
royal purple

95bat
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
I normally use Mobile 1 5w30, but I'm going to try some Wal-Mart oil today.

Scoobydoo
06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
whatever the people who change my oil use

bigbirney420
06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Royal Purple Pretty good, but not worth the money over Mobil 1 and others. Has been prone to some shearing and loss of viscosity. Pure Grade 4 PAO Esthers, like Redline , Royal purple and Amsoil, Amsoil Probably the best out of those. For most cars Grade 3 off the Wal Mart shelf stuff, like Mobil 1, Syntec, Platinum, is going to be good enough protection. Just run a good filter and watch change intervals. Check out Bob is the Oil Guy Forum. More than you would ever want to know about motor oil.

jonnybusa
06-04-2007, 02:13 PM
just seeing what everyone use's out there..

i use valvoline max lif high milage synthetic in my daodge spirt 4cyl. w/ 109,000 miles

and royal purple in my 91 gmc sonoma w/ 70,000 miles on it. also use royal purple in the rear diff.

mobil 1 syn in my chrysler 300
redline syn in the stang
couple diff syn's in the bike, depending on price @ purchase time

Paddywad
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm sticking with Castrol GTX.

jdawg
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
mobile 1 isnt a full synthetic fyi, about the only thing you can buy full synthetic is redline or royal purple

SethPhillips
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
i used to use castrol gtx. my ex girls dad swore by halvoline...

i allways change my oil, oil filter, and air filter every 2999 miles.... like clock work!!!!
BE CAR CARE AWARE!!

Chevyaudio
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic.

mike dressure
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Castrol GTX.

nG

i use nothing but castrol!:cool:

Calikid
06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Castrol GTX

jdawg
06-04-2007, 02:26 PM
KY Jelly

x2

Rich B
06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
10w-30 Quaker State high RPM synthetic blend and Bosch oil filters.

SethPhillips
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
KY Jelly
x3
good lube but wrong application...

JesterFPS
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Amsoil 5W-30

Lunchbocks
06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Currently Royal Purple 5-30, I couldn't find Amsoil the day I went shopping. Gotta plan ahead better and just buy it when I see it.

bigbirney420
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Amsoil Usually has to be bought from distributor, its tough to find at most Auto Parts Stores or shops.

IgnoreMe
06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
just to let you guys know...synthetics dont need to be changed every 3k like its gonna break down if you dont get it done. **** most regular oils dont even need to be change every 3k. you can go over quite a bit especially on syntheics. even after 5k miles, synthetic analysis' show that they are still cleaner and less broken down than brand new regular motor oil. all you really need to do with synthetics is change your filter and add a quart or so. you can change them every 8-10k and be completly safe.

jonnybusa
06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
mobile 1 isnt a full synthetic fyi, about the only thing you can buy full synthetic is redline or royal purple

thats why I use it in the daily driver and not the monsters......

jonnybusa
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
just to let you guys know...synthetics dont need to be changed every 3k like its gonna break down if you dont get it done. **** most regular oils dont even need to be change every 3k. you can go over quite a bit especially on syntheics. even after 5k miles, synthetic analysis' show that they are still cleaner and less broken down than brand new regular motor oil. all you really need to do with synthetics is change your filter and add a quart or so. you can change them every 8-10k and be completly safe.

also depends on what you are doing w/ the vehicle.....my stang gets changed every 1500 miles, since I drag it alot, and its twin turboed. I also change the turbo hayabusa's oil every 1500 miles, and that takes a beating.....like running top speed for 2-3 miles @ a time, and lots of 1/4 time.

Ku-sama
06-05-2007, 04:27 PM
royal purple

X2

negativezeroz
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Mobil 1 5W30 full syn

Alpine CDA-9815
06-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Red Line 10w40 synthetic.

95bat
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
i allways change my oil, oil filter, and air filter every 2999 miles.... like clock work!!!!
BE CAR CARE AWARE!!
So what happens when you're coming home from the grocery store or leaving the mall and you hit 2,999 miles on that oil? Do you pull over and change it?

I bet at least 1/5 people posting in this thread lied about what oil they use :laugh: or they waste their money on high dollar synthetic oil.

desertheat
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Castrol syntec 10w40 for my boosted cars & higher milage cars. Castrol syntec green if I can get it :)

KnOkIn It 420
06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
So what happens when you're coming home from the grocery store or leaving the mall and you hit 2,999 miles on that oil? Do you pull over and change it?

I bet at least 1/5 people posting in this thread lied about what oil they use :laugh: or they waste their money on high dollar synthetic oil.

Why is it a waste,I have run nothing but synthetic in my 95 Chevy tbi 350 and still runs like a top at 325,000 miles:)

Kai Winters
06-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Castrol GTX or Valvoline 5-30w full synthetic.

joetama
06-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Castrol Products FTW!!!

Flipx99
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Castrol GTX

Flipx99
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

THUNDERBIRD
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
i use kendall motor oil, it is a synthetic blend. what ***** about full syn. is that once you put it in you are stuck with that you cant mix conventional and full syn. i prefer to change my oil every 2500-3200 miles about 2000 is when i can notice a gas mileage drop and performance drop. had it changed yesterday as it was in the shop and gotta love the performance now

CaliforniabOY5
06-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Castrol syntec 10w40 for my boosted cars & higher milage cars. Castrol syntec green if I can get it :)

I ran German Castrol oil on my car before it died.............everyone in the f-body world said was ZOMG about it...........tried it, can't complain, just hard to get your hands on it. .. . . . . I ran Torco in the stang too, can't complain.................i would wouldn't feel right putting 99 cent oil in my cars.........

LoudCrownVic
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
4 quarts Castrol GTX 20w50 with 1 quart Marvel Mystery Oil. PH8A filter instead of puny PH3600.

Change about every 3-4k

bigbirney420
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

That would be a more helpful and valid test if you could buy 80% of that oild anywhere in the US. Bob is the Oil Guy.com is greatest forum for all questions concerning.

bbka
06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Regular Castrol GTX 10w30 works for my boosted car just fine. As much as I change my oil and drive my car, it would be a waste of money to go with synthetic oil. So it really just depends on your setup and how you drive your car. If I had a built motor and expensive ball bearing turbo, then I would run synthetic, but I'm not running synthetic on my stock motor and $300 turbo lol...

Ignatowski
06-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I run Kendal or Penzoil regular oils on race applications
and Mobil 1 for sinths for my daily driver

desertheat
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh dear god... not penzoil man! most nasty horrible waxy ****** coked up engine clogging, used toilet paper, stepped in dog crap oil on the market...

Mobile 1... works :)

Ignatowski
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh dear god... not penzoil man! most nasty horrible waxy ****** coked up engine clogging, used toilet paper, stepped in dog crap oil on the market...

Mobile 1... works :)

can you prove Penzoil is **** ?
I wanna know

LoudCrownVic
06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
can you prove Penzoil is **** ?
I wanna know

The pennzoil 10w-40 back in the 70's and 80's used to be nasty ****, everyone was running the stuff because it had the broad viscosity range and was pretty "advanced" (for the time) when it actually ******. You could smell it when cars used it. (according to my dad, who worked in a lube shop around then)

Now-a-days, it's all about the same... Pennzoil is about midgrade stuff, kina like Havoline.

lrgnation
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Red Line 10w40 synthetic.

i Run redline 5w30.

sundownz
06-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Some kind of full synthetic... usually Amsoil or Castrol. That oil test PDF is interested and may have me swapping over to Royal Purple -- too bad they didn't compare to Amsoil in that testing.

desertheat
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
No hard feelings man, Have seen it used in a ton of engines even recently, I can usually tell an engine that uses it by pulling the valve cover and I have to ask that questions "oh shiz, your not useing penzoil are you" and they always say "yeah, I thought it was good???"

From memory penzoil uses a parofin sp? wax in there oils that cokes up bad which is what I see in motors. just nastyness. I am not a fan of mobile 1 myself but it does keep an engine clean. Do a ton of research online about motoroil, read the motor oil bible, also read up on the site posted on page 2. I did a ton of research on oil about a year ago which is why I use what I use personally. Also I have used amsoil, I like it a lot and would use it if I could not get castrol so cheap !

Next up, Oil filter argument! Woot!

Pure1 from purolator #1 for me

Dana / Wix #2 for me

#3 & 3.1 k&n - Mobile 1 filters about the exact same, both very very good

Worst filter know, Fram.

LoudCrownVic
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
No hard feelings man, Have seen it used in a ton of engines even recently, I can usually tell an engine that uses it by pulling the valve cover and I have to ask that questions "oh shiz, your not useing penzoil are you" and they always say "yeah, I thought it was good???"

From memory penzoil uses a parofin sp? wax in there oils that cokes up bad which is what I see in motors. just nastyness. I am not a fan of mobile 1 myself but it does keep an engine clean. Do a ton of research online about motoroil, read the motor oil bible, also read up on the site posted on page 2. I did a ton of research on oil about a year ago which is why I use what I use personally. Also I have used amsoil, I like it a lot and would use it if I could not get castrol so cheap !

Next up, Oil filter argument! Woot!

Pure1 from purolator #1 for me

Dana / Wix #2 for me

#3 & 3.1 k&n - Mobile 1 filters about the exact same, both very very good

Worst filter know, Fram.

I'd say the offbrand oil filters that some lube shops use are the worst. I use fram because they are accessable and cheap, and their filter medium is about the quality of everyone elses, they just don't have all the fancy thick casings and cages and valves the other ones do.

Havent tried the Pure One filters but I agree that the dana/wix ones are nice, as well as the K&N. Both expensive... But nice.

THUNDERBIRD
06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
i use a fram because where my filter is located it is very hard to get too( have to reach around crossmembers, sway bar, and the headers burn you, then it doesnt like to drop out so you have to mess with it) so the grip on it is nice for loosening. i cant get a wrench in there. so when i get it changed they use whatever they use from napa i have to poke it with the screw driver to be able to turn it. i have thought about useing k&n because it has a nut stamped out on it.

bigbirney420
06-07-2007, 10:52 AM
That bearing test has long been proven innacurate for testing of oils. It does not mimic the heat, or driving conditions any car may encounter. i.e. Dusty, dirty areas, city vs. highway, or any of that. Royal Purple is pretty good, but in many high HP applications it has been shown to shear and lose viscosity after less than 5000 miles. In that arena Amsoil is much better, the Redline and so on.

95bat
06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
So you can pull the valve covers and tell what oil they use? By looking at what exactly?

I'd say the offbrand oil filters that some lube shops use are the worst. I use fram because they are accessable and cheap, and their filter medium is about the quality of everyone elses, they just don't have all the fancy thick casings and cages and valves the other ones do.

Havent tried the Pure One filters but I agree that the dana/wix ones are nice, as well as the K&N. Both expensive... But nice.
With regular oil changes, Fram filters are fine. If you want to go 15k between oil changes, then the higher dollar oil filters are needed.

That bearing test has long been proven innacurate for testing of oils. It does not mimic the heat, or driving conditions any car may encounter. i.e. Dusty, dirty areas, city vs. highway, or any of that. Royal Purple is pretty good, but in many high HP applications it has been shown to shear and lose viscosity after less than 5000 miles. In that arena Amsoil is much better, the Redline and so on.
Hot Rod Magazine uses Rotella oil in all of their project cars. It is the only oil they use and recommend. I just bought some at Wal-Mart of all places, and it is very affordable :)

lilmaniac2
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
i use toyota brand motor oil and toyota brand filters b/c thats what the dealership puts in lol. For my fourrunner it costs like 12 bucks for the filter and 8 for oil or i can get the dealership to do it for 25, ill spend the 5 bucks and save the hours worth of work

desertheat
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
So you can pull the valve covers and tell what oil they use? By looking at what exactly?

I usually see a brown to dark yellow sludge built up that coats everything. Very nasty. Have seen this with generic oils but penzoil #1

With regular oil changes, Fram filters are fine. If you want to go 15k between oil changes, then the higher dollar oil filters are needed. No they are not, they **** period. That is why most fleets use NAPA "wix filters" or dana wix for there fleets. Fram *****.

Hot Rod Magazine uses Rotella oil in all of their project cars. It is the only oil they use and recommend. I just bought some at Wal-Mart of all places, and it is very affordable :)

Guys do your own research :) Fram filters are know worldwide to be the most horrible filters available, Carboard endcaps, TINY filter area and the filter material has been know to simply come apart and be of **** pour quality. On one test fram netted like 190 somthing square inches of filtering area, the better brands I listed had over 480+ for the same filter. You guys need to read test results more and go by word of mouth less. Also it is obvious no one is checking things out if they like fram, must be the orange case! Moths to a flame haha. so with that I will leave this post.

desertheat
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
i use toyota brand motor oil and toyota brand filters b/c thats what the dealership puts in lol. For my fourrunner it costs like 12 bucks for the filter and 8 for oil or i can get the dealership to do it for 25, ill spend the 5 bucks and save the hours worth of work
Toyota usually uses Valvoline which is a fine standard oil.

95bat
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Guys do your own research :) Fram filters are know worldwide to be the most horrible filters available, Carboard endcaps, TINY filter area and the filter material has been know to simply come apart and be of **** pour quality. On one test fram netted like 190 somthing square inches of filtering area, the better brands I listed had over 480+ for the same filter. You guys need to read test results more and go by word of mouth less. Also it is obvious no one is checking things out if they like fram, must be the orange case! Moths to a flame haha. so with that I will leave this post.
You didn't answer my question, you just regurgitated some junk you read on the internet.

Ignatowski
06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I am doing maintnence ths weekend.........I m switching to castrol 20/50 from the penzoil on my drag car............

Id prefer Kendal if I could find it

desertheat
06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Good choice, what is your drag car?? 20-50 is great for boosted machines, I run a new uber tight tolerance motor so I run 10w40 "recommended 5w30 haha" So far it has proven to be the perfect match for my applications and the heat in Az. Is the weather hot were you are at in Tn Excel???

desertheat
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
You didn't answer my question, you just regurgitated some junk you read on the internet.

That is not "regurgitated" *LOL* Have you ever cut open filters? I have, Do you build motors? I do, have you read page after page of technical specs from both manufacturer and independant tests on oil and filters because you wanted to know what was best and find out why certain things are better? I have. If you think your fram is high and mighty and a decent filter, then the people that do know a thing or two are laughing at you :) I do not need to write a report on why your choice ***** balls when there are TONS of tests done by car clubs, race teams, DIY peeps as well that you can read. I would not put a fram on a riding lawnmower let alone a car that I cared about.

Also you were answered, I included them in the quote from your post.

"Originally Posted by 95bat

I usually see a brown to dark yellow sludge built up that coats everything. Very nasty. Have seen this with generic oils but penzoil #1

With regular oil changes, Fram filters are fine. If you want to go 15k between oil changes, then the higher dollar oil filters are needed.

No they are not, they **** period. That is why most fleets use NAPA "wix filters" or dana wix for there fleets. Fram *****.

Hot Rod Magazine uses Rotella oil in all of their project cars. It is the only oil they use and recommend. I just bought some at Wal-Mart of all places, and it is very affordable "

As for your talk about rotella, no idea. Never used it so I have no comment on it. But be assured if you saw a TV show promoting it then they are getting money to push it. I prefere not to go off of TV adds and what some guy on a car show says, would rather read the research, test for myself until somthing works.

95bat
06-07-2007, 06:30 PM
That is not "regurgitated" *LOL* Have you ever cut open filters? I have, Do you build motors? I do, have you read page after page of technical specs from both manufacturer and independant tests on oil and filters because you wanted to know what was best and find out why certain things are better? I have. If you think your fram is high and mighty and a decent filter, then the people that do know a thing or two are laughing at you :) I do not need to write a report on why your choice ***** balls when there are TONS of tests done by car clubs, race teams, DIY peeps as well that you can read. I would not put a fram on a riding lawnmower let alone a car that I cared about.
So you're not regurgitating something you read on the internet, yet you're asking me if I read page after page of specs and tests? That sure sounds like you're repeating what you read.
To answer your other questions: No, I don't cut open filters. I'm sure you didn't either and are pretending you did when you actually saw a picture of it online. Next, yes, I build motors with my Dad when I have the chance to.

So you see sludge coating "everything" ... ? Alright, very nice and thorough answer. :rolleyes:

No they are not, they **** period. That is why most fleets use NAPA "wix filters" or dana wix for there fleets. Fram *****.
I know Fram filters aren't the best. I'm not trying to make them into something they're not. I just said if you change oil regularly they're fine. I change my oil reguarly and use Fram filters because they're cheap. My car is just about at 100,000 miles with no problems at all. It is a GM car too, which is saying something. Regardless of the fact that you provided no proof that most fleets use wix filters, even if they did it is probably because their cars aren't serviced as they should be and a better filter is needed.

As for your talk about rotella, no idea. Never used it so I have no comment on it. But be assured if you saw a TV show promoting it then they are getting money to push it. I prefere not to go off of TV adds and what some guy on a car show says, would rather read the research, test for myself until somthing works.
I said "Hot Rod Magazine" recommends it so it is safe to assume I didn't see it on a TV show.

I am still waiting for your proof that Penzoil *****. By "your" I mean something you can actually produce and not reference us to a link on the internet :) I don't use that crap, but I'm still curious as to what solid evidence you can produce that will confirm why it is a bad motor oil.

desertheat
06-07-2007, 06:54 PM
So you're not regurgitating something you read on the internet, yet you're asking me if I read page after page of specs and tests? That sure sounds like you're repeating what you read.
To answer your other questions: No, I don't cut open filters. I'm sure you didn't either and are pretending you did when you actually saw a picture of it online. Next, yes, I build motors with my Dad when I have the chance to.

So you see sludge coating "everything" ... ? Alright, very nice and thorough answer. :rolleyes:

I know Fram filters aren't the best. I'm not trying to make them into something they're not. I just said if you change oil regularly they're fine. I change my oil reguarly and use Fram filters because they're cheap. My car is just about at 100,000 miles with no problems at all. It is a GM car too, which is saying something. Regardless of the fact that you provided no proof that most fleets use wix filters, even if they did it is probably because their cars aren't serviced as they should be and a better filter is needed.

I said "Hot Rod Magazine" recommends it so it is safe to assume I didn't see it on a TV show.

I am still waiting for your proof that Penzoil *****. By "your" I mean something you can actually produce and not reference us to a link on the internet :) I don't use that crap, but I'm still curious as to what solid evidence you can produce that will confirm why it is a bad motor oil.

Your a child and an idiot that works with his father and has no experience, that is my take. If you go to colledge to study, you read books to educate yourself, are you spouting out info you "read"??? And that means you do not know what your talking about? If you read online TEST reports on subjects, do you know nothing at all because you read the info? *LOL* I study things so I KNOW what the truth is period. Not just read one item and say it is fact.

Also yes I have cut open filters, Have cut open most likley over 100 on race engines. I have a 500squre foot shop I have dedicated to workwith with cars and building engines for a hobby *LOL* I also send oil in to have it tested on race engines that have failed and do a number of other things that are WAY over your head.

Also moron, I work for the largest heavy vehicle tracking system company on the PLANET, I travel from shop to shop nationwide hosting certification classes on 12V systems. I am in Maimi right now on a training from Az as I fly out nationwide and worldwide, have been to 11 shops in the last 12 weeks performing trainings with mechanics. I KNOW what they use and I know what large fleets stock. So stop the kiddy retard BS of trying to call me out as I have been doing this before your nuts dropped.

The only worthwhile thing you have said is "change your oil on a regular basis"

And as for Penzoil, Yes I find coked up engines quite often working on vehicles, and 99% of the time owners claim they have been useing penzoil. I ask them if they use penzoil as I can tell because it always looks the exact same. Not just black and coked up from not changing your oil on a regular basis, but yellowish nasty coke build up even if they change there oil on a reg basis. A lot of the time this crap is so built it that it is stuck to the bottom of the oil cap. This was not a 1 time thing, I have seen this in probably 10-12 engines at least in the last 5-6 years.

Do I claim to know everything on oil and filters? Heck no, But I do know from experience building motors and trying out what works and what does not, what works best for my applications and does what I want. My latest motor and turbo setup is valued at over $15K, most likley more than the value your last 3 cars, I would not put oil or a filter in it unless I was 100% confident in my choices *LOL*

95bat
06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
More insults and still no proof... you are showing some real class right now.

I guess all I can really reply to is two things.
1 - I graduated from UC Irvine, number 11 (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php) public school in the nation and in the top 50 colleges in the United States. So I actually have educated myself from more sources than just the internet, like yourself.
2 - 500 sq. ft. is actually smaller than a studio apartment I lived in my 2nd year of college, which was 597 sq. ft. I think 500 sq. ft. will fit what... 2 cars with working room? Maybe 3 of you cram them side by side? That is very impressive.

I still havn't seen any proof other than "because I said so" and "reasons that are way over your head."

desertheat
06-07-2007, 07:25 PM
More insults and still no proof... you are showing some real class right now.

I guess all I can really reply to is two things.
1 - I graduated from UC Irvine, number 11 (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php) public school in the nation and in the top 50 colleges in the United States. So I actually have educated myself from more sources than just the internet, like yourself.
2 - 500 sq. ft. is actually smaller than a studio apartment I lived in my 2nd year of college, which was 597 sq. ft. I think 500 sq. ft. will fit what... 2 cars with working room? Maybe 3 of you cram them side by side? That is very impressive.

I still havn't seen any proof other than "because I said so" and "reasons that are way over your head."

As I said, i do not need to write a manual for you that is what search is for and you can learn yourself, your such a pain in the *** that even if I posted up tons of info, you would shoot it down as "internet hearsay" *LOL* Also the 500sq ft shop I spoke of stores my quads and is for engine building as a hobby. It has no walls, so yes, 25x25 feet of work area for engines and a couple of 4wheels is plenty big for a guy that uses it as a hobby, suprised you tried to attack that as well like it is not big enough *LOL* Sorry my little shop for my toys and building motors is larger that places you have lived *LOL*

Now overall penzoil has come a long ways over the years and I am sure there product is better than it used to be. But from my experience and experience of opening up my wifes I6 from her jeep after 100K miles of regular penzoil changes and personally seeing a LOT of engines that have run it on a reg basis, I find it to be CRAP. And that is all I need to know period. There standard oil is JUNK and I still would not use it in a lawnmower just as much as I would NOT use a FRAM filter on anything I own.

When there are items 10x better on the market for a doller or two more, why the heck would you argue it and act like you are making a good or reasonable decision?

95bat
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
25x25 is not 500, it is 625.

LOL this is getting fun now.

desertheat
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
DOH, sorry typed the 500 as it was on the brain haha, was measuring last week to see if I had plenty of room for a 2 post lift and also my toys. A little under 500 is the usable floor space I have not including - shelves, benches, sink and such. Good brain fart catch
:wow:

Everyone has there die hard views which is normal, but after someone trying to argue for the sake of FRAM or Penzoil, my brain is fried and my time is wasted *LOL* Both are flat out garbage. Some people know there ish on here I noticed. Amsoil, is great oil, royal purple is decent stuff, mobile one is not bad either. But out of the groups I have my choice :) And my cars get syntec. As for filters, I only use pure1, Wix and if I have to mobile 1 filters. If you use these items guys, you will NOT go wrong.

supa_c
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I use the wal mart brand and get the gallon, its cheap, and it works.
If i get some buildup just add in some lucas oil treatment :)
The only time I bought pennzoil synthetic was when it was only $2 a bottle.

ThomasG
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
penz

Ignatowski
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
92 today.........

desertheat
06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Supa, the platinum stuff is not bad I guess, I am more speaking of the standard yellow bottle $.99 cent crap they sell. Same crap as the quakerstate oil and havoline oil. Just a waste of shelf space.

ThomasG
06-07-2007, 08:14 PM
ive been using penz 10w30 i just went on 2 14 hour trips and my car runs like a champ with 170k on it

desertheat
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
ive been using penz 10w30 i just went on 2 14 hour trips and my car runs like a champ with 170k on it

Of course your car will run with penzoil, I am not saying the second you put it in your rods will shoot out your block, engine will coke up and it will leave you stranded *LOL* Overall just a junk oil, and much much better available for the money.

supa_c
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Supa, the platinum stuff is not bad I guess, I am more speaking of the standard yellow bottle $.99 cent crap they sell. Same crap as the quakerstate oil and havoline oil. Just a waste of shelf space.
Ugh, i never buy the yellow bottle. Wal mart junk> that.

joetama
06-07-2007, 09:00 PM
PennzOil = crap because it leaves a film in your motor /story

Fram = Crap, because they are very cheaply constructed and break/fall apart easy. Oh, and they don't really 'filter' anything...

95bat
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
*searches for another ridiculous topic to argue for entertainment purposes*

theCybe
06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

/thread

neonrt
06-07-2007, 09:36 PM
i use castrol gtx, and usually quaker state filters. works for me, but any oil will do as long as you change it regularly. (make sure its virgin)

bigbirney420
06-08-2007, 12:03 AM
you guys are idiots. BITOG is great site and everyone is happy

joetama
06-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Seems like Castrol is the most common...

Kai Winters
06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Lord we will fight and flame over everything LOL.

Here is a link to a guy that seems to know quite a bit about cars and is open and honest with his opinions and advice. I love his Sunday radio show.
He too loves Castrol.

http://www.raauto.com/

Ignatowski
06-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Wolf's Head

FTW

supa_c
06-08-2007, 07:07 AM
He used to do castrol commercials...prob why he loves them so much.
I think he mightve been on motor week as well.

SethPhillips
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM

you think i would do that??? i try to change it before it hits 30000 miles is what i was basicly trying to say..

SethPhillips
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
it looks to me that you guys canfind a way to bicker about anything!!!! ****!!!!

i wonder what would happen if you used a few quarts of fine pencil led???? as engine lube???...... im just JOKEING!!! ( someone's gunna say something about my comment!)

desertheat
06-09-2007, 01:48 AM
it looks to me that you guys canfind a way to bicker about anything!!!! ****!!!!

i wonder what would happen if you used a few quarts of fine pencil led???? as engine lube???...... im just JOKEING!!! ( someone's gunna say something about my comment!)

powdered graphite works great as a dry lubricant??? *LOL* Sorry had to :)

4runnercrazy
06-09-2007, 01:59 AM
what ever costco sells is the best :)

Alpine CDA-9815
06-09-2007, 06:36 AM
[quote=desertheat;3113327]Good choice, what is your drag car?? 20-50 is great for boosted machines[quote]
Why do you say that? The "weight" of the oil really does not mean much as far as I see it... doesn't really have to do much with viscosity, HTHS, cSt, what it should be used for, etc. Meaning specs vary by brands... 20W50 in one brand is different than 20W50 in another.

IgnoreMe
06-12-2007, 04:31 AM
i use kendall motor oil, it is a synthetic blend. what ***** about full syn. is that once you put it in you are stuck with that you cant mix conventional and full syn. i prefer to change my oil every 2500-3200 miles about 2000 is when i can notice a gas mileage drop and performance drop. had it changed yesterday as it was in the shop and gotta love the performance now

the price is wrong bob! from mobil1....as well as what i learned from my auto instructors....

"Question:
Mixing Synthetic and Conventional Motor Oils
Can you ever blend synthetic oils and conventional oils? If so, what is the ratio?
-- Julie Patten, Des Moines, IA
Answer:
Yes, synthetic oils can be blended with conventional oils. Several companies, including ExxonMobil, market synthetic blends which are a combination of synthetic and conventional oils. In the case of ExxonMobil, the ratio of synthetic to conventional oil in these products is considered proprietary information. "

WantedIsHere
06-12-2007, 04:37 AM
i use redline and when i cant afford or justify using redline i use either mobile 1 or castrol syntech

probmxstyle
06-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Running Amsoil 5w-20 in my TL right now with a Amsoil oil filter also. Its some good stuff, runs super smooth and stays very clean.

89montero
06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I run Royal Purple 10w30 in my 89 Mitsubishi montero. About 80k miles on engine. Works great!

DjiNN
06-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Mobil 1 10w 30 ...