PDA

View Full Version : Pio 690UB and Hard Drives

clone
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
So has anyone had any luck running a hard drive with this unit without supplemental power? I've tried a few different drives (toshiba 120GB, Western Digital Passport 120GB) but neither would run off the HUs power. Supposedly it puts out 500mA and that's the USB spec but either it doesn't put out that much power or these drives need more. If I add a 5V power supply, they work just fine...which is probably where I'll end up. Anyway, just wondering.

chilly
06-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Most of the prepackaged external USB drives don't list current/mA specs :pissed:
Every barebones 2.5" drive I've checked specs more than 500mA though. That's why most of them come with that double-headed USB adapter. Since the prepackaged drives still have the same hardware inside, they probably all need more too.

Some still work though, so they are probably pulling lower in reality than spec'd, so you might get lucky with something, but it's going to be hit or miss. I have read reports of laCie drives working on the 7900UB (from a UK car audio site).

You could just use a 1.8" too, which takes low power ($$). I was just going to get a 2.5" with a 5vdc connection so I can just hardwire it if it doesn't work straight from USB.

clone
06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
So does anyone have a good site for getting a good automotive 5 volt power supply with around 500 mA of output? I'm pretty much resigned to adding power to make the thing spin.

AltarCrystal
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223582

Check that thread, there's a coupld good links in there.

clone
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I emailed Pioneer to ask if there were any drives that they support...I received this response...

This model does not support hard drives, only mass memory devices. Thank You XXXXXX Customer Service Representative

Of course right now I'm running a 120GB toshiba drive with supplemental power from a 5V power supply from the power port. I need something more permanent but it definitely works.