PDA

View Full Version : Midbasses, rethinking my options

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I've got a pair of Koda 8s that I want(ed) to use for midbass duty. I moddeled them up in unibox and looked at the performance at 200 watts(about 25 watts higher than the reported failure rate in the 8 inch midbass shoot out over at carstereos.org) from 80hz to 300hz. Its pretty obvious to me that the VC on this woofer doesn't have the strength or thermal handling capabilities to push the suspension to its limits even at 80hz.

Even in a ported indoor enclosure the woofer is barely working.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to get lesser drivers and just pay them harder?

2kchevy06civic
06-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I used to have Koda 8's but I sold them a long time ago. They were beefy little ******. Sorry to hear you say they aren't up to par though :(

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I used to have Koda 8's but I sold them a long time ago. They were beefy little ******. Sorry to hear you say they aren't up to par though :(

O, quite the contrary! Max output in the frequency range I'm concerned with is quite high. The thing is that the woofer was designed with higher excursion applications in mind. Basically its a sub with the ability to extend high into the frequency range. I only plan on using that high frequency extension though because I'm high passing my midbasses around 80hz so all that extra cone excursion is wasted. I have them in a sub in my room right now and I'm thinking about just leaving them in the box and buying new woofers with less cone excursion (therefore less motor height and easier mounting) and more power handling. No woofer is going to be moving 20mm back and fourth while reproducing a tone at 200hz without thousands of watts behind it. The Kodas cant handle that much power!

JonJT
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
This (http://www.bcspeakers.com/index.php?sez=1&categoria=2&id_descrizione=44&prodotto=53&id_descrizione_prod=51) is the kinda thing I'm talking about. Fantastic efficiency and great power handling. It will go very well with my high efficiency midranges and horns!

///M5
06-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I don't understand your issue. It sounds like a great midbass to run from 40hz to 300hz.