PDA

View Full Version : Anything comparable to the DEX-P9?

JonJT
06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
So, is the P9 still king of the hill when it comes to Head Units? Its the only head unit I know with the processing required to properly set up a 4 way system with horns. Has any company equalled or bested th is unit in terms or processing power and audio quality?

youngfu
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I think DXZ-9255 is comparable to P9 for audio quality.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
But not processing abilit........:( Although I would expect a such for onl 800 dollars new.

Babs
06-01-2007, 01:11 PM
It would be a interesting comparison from one of the newer alpine A/V head units with digital out to a H701 processor.. All the same processing power, with added control, multi-channel formatting and DVD capabilities.. But for pure SQ, I'd be interested if they could hang with the P9 or DRZ.. and if not, between the two, which would be the best..

At that point in a car, either would be beyond diminishing returns unless the sound-deadening and acoustic tuning and all other components were equally top-notch.

With other cheaper components it would be like having a home theater with all Krell or Levinson front end equipment playing through crap speakers in a non-acoustically treated room with lots of windows and poor cabling and calibration.. I'd rather have mid-fi in a well treated room and excellent speakers, personally.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Multichannel doesnt interest me, but this APline HU and H701 combination does. Do you know if the H701 can handle 4 way crossovers. I see it has the necessary eqs but it doesn't say how many crossovers it has.

It doesn't seem to have any time alignment or path length compensation that I think the P9 has though.

Babs
06-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Probably the most detailed specs I've seen on the H701 are here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ik5IBZITnGT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168450&tab=detailed_info&i=500PXAH701#Tab

jluv
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Multichannel doesnt interest me, but this APline HU and H701 combination does. Do you know if the H701 can handle 4 way crossovers. I see it has the necessary eqs but it doesn't say how many crossovers it has.

It doesn't seem to have any time alignment or path length compensation that I think the P9 has though.

It does have time correction.

It has 8 channel output (3 sets of stereo out and two mono outs).

You can set the high and low pass filters, adjust the slope (6-30db) and use graphic or parametric eq for each channel individually.

It also has Dolby and DTS decoding and can create a "phantom" center channel.

I love the crap out of mine.

Babs
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
From what I understand, the 701 has "a" burr-brown dac as well.. Not sure if it's at the level of the 9255 dual 24bit/96khz processing though, but I imagine it's gotta be pretty decent.

If you think about it, the H701 is not only a DAC, processor, EQ and crossover.. but it's also a preamp.. From what I've read about what makes the 9255 so great, it's in good power supply as well.. Supplying a good 8guage line to the DC/DC converter with the toroidial power chokes is probably one reason that unit is such a beast, ontop of the excellent processing. If I were installing a 701, I'd use a nice thick power line and ground, personally.

Rich B
06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
My only problem with the 701 is that its so old now it should be selling for less money than Alpine wants for it.
:eyebrow:

In every other consumer electronics market, after a product has been out for a year or two without a revision the price is lowered because the chips used inside are a generation (or more) behind the newest versions, and cost the manufacturer substancially less.

Oh well............
:rolleyes:

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Probably the most detailed specs I've seen on the H701 are here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ik5IBZITnGT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168450&tab=detailed_info&i=500PXAH701#Tab

I'll check that, thanks.

jluv
06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
My only problem with the 701 is that its so old now it should be selling for less money than Alpine wants for it.

In every other consumer electronics market, after a product has been out for a year or two without a revision the price is lowered because the chips used inside are a generation (or more) behind the newest versions, and cost the manufacturer substancially less.

Oh well............

IMO, the 701 is still pretty inexpensive for what it does.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
It does have time correction.

It has 8 channel output (3 sets of stereo out and two mono outs).

You can set the high and low pass filters, adjust the slope (6-30db) and use graphic or parametric eq for each channel individually.

It also has Dolby and DTS decoding and can create a "phantom" center channel.

I love the crap out of mine.

Alright so it has time correction but, how many filters can I impliment per input channel? I need one high pass, two bandpass and a low pass filter for every input channel from the digital out of the HU. Thats two channels alltogether so 8 filters total; 4 per channel. Can the H701 do this?

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
But not processing abilit........:( Although I would expect a such for onl 800 dollars new.

The DRZ9255 has built-in 4-way crossovers. You have to have both the DEX-P9 and the DEQ-P9 to have any kind of processing.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
From what I understand, the 701 has "a" burr-brown dac as well.. Not sure if it's at the level of the 9255 dual 24bit/96khz processing though, but I imagine it's gotta be pretty decent.

If you think about it, the H701 is not only a DAC, processor, EQ and crossover.. but it's also a preamp.. From what I've read about what makes the 9255 so great, it's in good power supply as well.. Supplying a good 8guage line to the DC/DC converter with the toroidial power chokes is probably one reason that unit is such a beast, ontop of the excellent processing. If I were installing a 701, I'd use a nice thick power line and ground, personally.

Being that the H701 is old, it probably isn't up to par with the bleeding edge. I don't quite know how "bad" it is though so I will have to investigate more.

As for power supply and ground wire gauge, it gets to the point of diminishing returns fast. The H701 can't draw anymore than 5 amps at 12 volts which isn't much power at all. Your supply wires don't have to be that large. You can even calculate the power losses for size and type of wire you are using. You don't NEED huge wire to transmit power effectively for this unit.

jluv
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Alright so it has time correction but, how many filters can I impliment per input channel? I need one high pass, two bandpass and a low pass filter for every input channel from the digital out of the HU. Thats two channels alltogether so 8 filters total; 4 per channel. Can the H701 do this?

4 filters per channel? Sorry man. I don't understand what you mean by that or what you're trying to do. I know my way inside and out of the 701, but just don't grasp what you are asking.

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 05:40 PM
It also has built-in Time Alignment that is adjustable up to 16 ft. in ~1/4" increments.

alphakenny1
06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
the h701 combined with the w200 is sweet. you can check out my review for details, https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5529.

the drz9255 is nice but very limited in terms of processing. 5 band peq, limited xover slopes and points. well not necessarily limited but not as flexible as say the p9 or h701.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
The DRZ9255 has built-in 4-way crossovers. You have to have both the DEX-P9 and the DEQ-P9 to have any kind of processing.

Ahhhh so I guess I missed that.

The Clarion is UGLY as all hell but what you get for the price is hard to beat. Especially (as you have pointed out) since you need to put almost 1600 dollars of Pioneer equiment. Equipment that only does a small bit more than the Clarion.

I'm putting the Clarion on the top of my list. Only thing I'll need is a good graphic eq (cause 5 bands of parametric eq is not enough to handle horns and a sub)

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
4 filters per channel? Sorry man. I don't understand what you mean by that or what you're trying to do. I know my way inside and out of the 701, but just don't grasp what you are asking.

4 way crossovers. In order to do a 3 way front stage and a sub you need to split each channel up into 4 parts to feed to the respective trandusers. You've got the tweeters (or horns in my case) midrange, midbass and the sub. You also have 2 channels so you must multiply everything by 2. Thats where I get 8 filters from. 4 filters per channel (4 way crossover) and 2 channels.

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Ahhhh so I guess I missed that.

The Clarion is UGLY as all hell but what you get for the price is hard to beat. Especially (as you have pointed out) since you need to put almost 1600 dollars of Pioneer equiment. Equipment that only does a small bit more than the Clarion.

I'm putting the Clarion on the top of my list. Only thing I'll need is a good graphic eq (cause 5 bands of parametric eq is not enough to handle horns and a sub)

Meh, I've seen the P9 combos go for like $1000 together on eGay. I'm pretty sure you can bring in an Alpine HU/H701 combo for around $1000 too.

Babs
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Oh well............

Old doesn't necessarily mean out-of-date or obsolete though.. The DRZ9255 has been around quite some time, but it's still on a different realm compared to the gazillion other mainstream HU's out there.. In terms of sound quality, I'd take it's 7 year old cd-only technology over liquid-bio-whatever displays and USB/SD/bluetooth and all that craziness, anyday. Clean cd output doesn't go out of style. The old Denons and Den-fords are still kicking in the used market.. with NO processing except DA conversion and preamp.

But also, throw in the mix a couple new setups too.. Alpine's newer PXE-H650 coming out is supposed to be a processing beast as well.. However I think it's an analog only unit, for the OEM integration market.. So it's only as clean as that oem head unit can send it, or from the RCA's of an aftermarket. Also the MS-8 JBL unit sounds promising as well.. Seems trying to fight the good fight of sending the signal digitally to the processor is going bye bye, to be replaced by processing to clean up the OEM crap signal instead with one aftermarket box instead of a head unit, then a processor.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
the h701 combined with the w200 is sweet. you can check out my review for details, https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5529.

the drz9255 is nice but very limited in terms of processing. 5 band peq, limited xover slopes and points. well not necessarily limited but not as flexible as say the p9 or h701.

Looking through the Clarion's manual, it seems that the X-over points available are quite numerous and selectable X-over slopes range from 0db to -18db per octave.

Thats pretty good for 800 dollars brand new.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Meh, I've seen the P9 combos go for like $1000 together on eGay. I'm pretty sure you can bring in an Alpine HU/H701 combo for around $1000 too.

Well I will keep that in mind.

Babs
06-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Also, remember it's not just processing that makes sound quality...
Reason a typical Mark Levinson, Krell, etc home 2-channel preamp is in the 5 figures and weighs as much as most A/V receivers. Sorry.. I babble. :) It's Friday.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Also, remember it's not just processing that makes sound quality...
Reason a typical Mark Levinson, Krell, etc home 2-channel preamp is in the 5 figures and weighs as much as most A/V receivers. Sorry.. I babble. :) It's Friday.

But also remember, these head units will be doing no speaker level amplification whatsoever. Massive torroids, caps and rails (like whats in those AV recievers that you mentioned) will be extreme over kill for what I want. I will be buying seperate boat anchors for amplification duty.

All that processing will be necessary to get everything working correctly. Burr-Brown oversampling DACs and copper chassis' wont mean a dam thing if you don't have your system set up correctly.

:fro:

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Alpine DVA-9860 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-DVA-9860-IN-DASH-CAR-DVD-CD-MP3-PLAYER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ250122104178QQihZ015QQcategoryZ7 9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Alpine PXA-H701 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-PXA-H701-Multimedia-Manager-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ320119960854QQihZ011QQcategoryZ79842Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

$675 shipped for the pair

Clarion DRZ9255 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-DRZ9255-24Bit-CD-player-w-time-alignment_W0QQitemZ250122987439QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 39757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
$640 shipped

Couldn't find any P9 combos today. They float around every now and then.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Alpine DVA-9860 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-DVA-9860-IN-DASH-CAR-DVD-CD-MP3-PLAYER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ250122104178QQihZ015QQcategoryZ7 9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Alpine PXA-H701 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-PXA-H701-Multimedia-Manager-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ320119960854QQihZ011QQcategoryZ79842Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

$675 shipped for the pair

Clarion DRZ9255 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-DRZ9255-24Bit-CD-player-w-time-alignment_W0QQitemZ250122987439QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 39757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
$640 shipped

Couldn't find any P9 combos today. They float around every now and then.

Alright well I have a bunch of options then. I will keep an eye out until I'm ready to purchase.

2kchevy06civic
06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I think they are all great units it just really comes down to budget and how much money you are willing to shell. Also keep in mind it's a lot easier to find the h701 and controller were as it's very difficult to find a p9 combo for a decent price. You can also find the drz-9255 very easily as well.

the h701 can do 3-way plus a sub you just use the rear outputs for the midbass if that's what you were wanting to do.

I have this issue in my stash of ca mags but for those who don't, this is a good read. Excellent review on it.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0112cae_pioneer_premier_dexp9_deqp9_car_audio_head _unit/

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 06:03 PM
If you really want to lay down some cash, you can always get into the Alpine F#1 Status stuff too.:naughty:

alphakenny1
06-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Looking through the Clarion's manual, it seems that the X-over points available are quite numerous and selectable X-over slopes range from 0db to -18db per octave.

Thats pretty good for 800 dollars brand new.

as i said, didn't mean limited but not as flexible as the h701 combo. the lowest you can hp your midrange is 200hz, while all outputs of except for the tweeter output can go all the way down to 20hz. also the highest crossover slope the drz9255 can go is 18db/oct while h701 can go up to 30db/oct. i have almost all my crossover settings set at 24db/oct. you might think its all that big of a deal, but to me it actually is. having flexbility is probably most important to me. also the h701 has a better option as far as eq goes. 31 band l/r eq + 10 band graphic eq on sub or an option of 7 band peq l/r. while drz9255 just has a 5 band peq. plus the let's say you get a w200/h701 combo you can run digital signal to your processor which will almost ensure a noise free system. the drz9255, you will have to run analog and possibly run into some noise issues.

2kchevy06civic
06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
yeah were your db/oct slopes at is another good point like kenny said. I forgot about that, doesn't the p9 go to 36?

Whenever I was thinking about getting a 9255 my problem was with the EQ but what you could do is use the 5 bands for your sub and purchase a dqs and that would take care of the rest of it. Course why would you want to pay that much money and have to buy a separate unit whenever the h701 and p9 can do it with there better half.

Hintzyboy
06-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I say screw it all. I just sing over the music anyway.:graduate:

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I think they are all great units it just really comes down to budget and how much money you are willing to shell. Also keep in mind it's a lot easier to find the h701 and controller were as it's very difficult to find a p9 combo for a decent price. You can also find the drz-9255 very easily as well.

the h701 can do 3-way plus a sub you just use the rear outputs for the midbass if that's what you were wanting to do.

I have this issue in my stash of ca mags but for those who don't, this is a good read. Excellent review on it.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0112cae_pioneer_premier_dexp9_deqp9_car_audio_head _unit/

Yep, thats what I want to do.

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:09 PM
If you really want to lay down some cash, you can always get into the Alpine F#1 Status stuff too.:naughty:

I don't have THAT much cash! haha

2kchevy06civic
06-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Yep, thats what I want to do.

well then the h701 can do it good sir ;)

JonJT
06-01-2007, 06:13 PM
as i said, didn't mean limited but not as flexible as the h701 combo. the lowest you can hp your midrange is 200hz, while all outputs of except for the tweeter output can go all the way down to 20hz. also the highest crossover slope the drz9255 can go is 18db/oct while h701 can go up to 30db/oct. i have almost all my crossover settings set at 24db/oct. you might think its all that big of a deal, but to me it actually is. having flexbility is probably most important to me. also the h701 has a better option as far as eq goes. 31 band l/r eq + 10 band graphic eq on sub or an option of 7 band peq l/r. while drz9255 just has a 5 band peq. plus the let's say you get a w200/h701 combo you can run digital signal to your processor which will almost ensure a noise free system. the drz9255, you will have to run analog and possibly run into some noise issues.

The limitations on the midrange highpass isnt a problem, I will be highpassing my midrange at about 250 to 300hz anyway. Thats just about the physical limitations of the woofer I want to use.

And I do believe the Clarion has an optical digital input that will accept PCM data.

And that extra EQ the apline unit has is EVERY attractive, especially if I cna get it for the same price as the Clarion.

Like I said earlier, I will just look around until I'm ready to buy.

audiolife
06-01-2007, 06:49 PM
hell the sony i have will do 24 36 and 72 db per octive slopes lol

2kchevy06civic
06-01-2007, 06:50 PM
hell the sony i have will do 24 36 and 72 db per octive slopes lol

aren't those even harder to find though? I don't know much about that unit but you can make changes via a computer yes?

audiolife
06-01-2007, 08:41 PM
yup! which can be nice and a pain at the same time that is why i make use of the presets.

jluv
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
4 way crossovers. In order to do a 3 way front stage and a sub you need to split each channel up into 4 parts to feed to the respective trandusers. You've got the tweeters (or horns in my case) midrange, midbass and the sub. You also have 2 channels so you must multiply everything by 2. Thats where I get 8 filters from. 4 filters per channel (4 way crossover) and 2 channels.

Gotcha. Yes, you could do that. As mentioned, you could use the rear output for your midbass if you want stereo. Or, you could use the center channel output, but it is mono.

You have:
Front 1 left + Front 1 right (horns)
Front 2 left + Front 2 right (mids)
Rear left + Rear right (midbass)
Center
Sub

You can set the HPF and LPF for each channel individually, as well as eq each as needed.

JonJT
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Would it be possible to run the center full range and use it for rear fill? I'm just curious.

jluv
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Would it be possible to run the center full range and use it for rear fill? I'm just curious.

Yes, but it is mono. You could also try running the midbass mono (via the center channel output) and using the rear for rear as it is intended. This way your fader would operate correctly, and you could play movies in 5.1 correctly. The center channel output can be changed to "selectable subwoofer", so that even playing 5.1 movies, you won't have your vocals trying to come through the midbass. This is exactly what I would do, but I can't decide if I want to add dedicated midbass to my system or a center channel. If I didn't run rear speakers, I could do both.

JonJT
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Well I have no provisions for rear fill in my current plans. Nor do I have a way to impliment a center channel. If I do even decide to do rear fill, I'll just play it a few db down from the least sensitive woofer in my front stage.

Hebrew Hammer
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
the 9255 is a great deck...a total PIA to tune with and no were near as flexible as a p9 or 701.....now in regards to them sonicaly..I'll give it to the p9 any day of the week....

JonJT
06-04-2007, 11:58 PM
the 9255 is a great deck...a total PIA to tune with and no were near as flexible as a p9 or 701.....now in regards to them sonicaly..I'll give it to the p9 any day of the week....

The H701 seems to require quite a setup to fully tune and its really turning me off. It seems to me that must have the seperate control unit to utilize all of the H701 funtions, no matter what HU I decide to use. I'd honestly be better off with a DEX and a DEQ, it will be cheaper than an H701, H701 control unit and an apline HU.

Babs
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
dva-9860 or 61 would control the 701 according to the specs.. I'd definitely try to go that route to eliminate the need for the control unit.. or go double din for easier control but it gets expensive fast.

alphakenny1
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
dva-9860 or 61 would control the 701 according to the specs.. I'd definitely try to go that route to eliminate the need for the control unit.. or go double din for easier control but it gets expensive fast.

i haven't used it myself but i know plenty of people who use the 9861/9860 but also have the controller. they say its MUCH easier to tune through the controller. i forgot what the limitations were tuning through the 9861/9860 though. i think it was something about the display of the menus and stuff.

Babs
06-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I can imagine so.. I'd personally much rather be using a W200 or W205, etc 2-din touchscreen type.

jluv
06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I can imagine so.. I'd personally much rather be using a W200 or W205, etc 2-din touchscreen type.

Both are great for controlling the 701. Interestingly enough, the graphic eq display on the W200 was cooler than my W205. It actually showed a graph where you could get a visual idea of the entire frequency range for that channel. The W205 simply lists the frequencies and gives a value for each.

Babs
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I just now got to hear a friend's system who's competing eventually (SQ)... Holy cow.. His source setup is a W200 / H701.. Three JL amps, Hybrid Audio mids in kick panels, Hybrid Audio tweets in modified A pillars, JL 8 mid-bass drivers in the doors, Single W6 sub. Lots of B-Quiet work throughout.. Nice custom sub enclosure.. All the new stuff finally broke in and he just did a tune up with some RTA software.. NICE! He's got the time alignment perfect and the eq is as flat as I've ever heard in any car. Man the imaging is spot on.. Nice wide sound stage at the perfect height. I think he'll fare very well with the car.. Nice job.. I'll try to find his cardomain link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2579094

I'm convinced.. the 701 processor is all you need.. send it a good optic signal, and the rest is in GOOD tuning and install.

JonJT
06-06-2007, 12:42 AM
i haven't used it myself but i know plenty of people who use the 9861/9860 but also have the controller. they say its MUCH easier to tune through the controller. i forgot what the limitations were tuning through the 9861/9860 though. i think it was something about the display of the menus and stuff.

I looked through the H701 manual and I do believe it said that everything save for treble and bass adjustment would be possible with other Alpine HUs. I want full adjustability without a seperate controller....

JonJT
06-06-2007, 12:44 AM

I can't use Apline Wxxx HUs. I NEED a screen for my car puter and the Wxxx units cannot double as a HU and a touchscreen for my car-puter.

JonJT
06-06-2007, 12:46 AM
I just now got to hear a friend's system who's competing eventually (SQ)... Holy cow.. His source setup is a W200 / H701.. Three JL amps, Hybrid Audio mids in kick panels, Hybrid Audio tweets in modified A pillars, JL 8 mid-bass drivers in the doors, Single W6 sub. Lots of B-Quiet work throughout.. Nice custom sub enclosure.. All the new stuff finally broke in and he just did a tune up with some RTA software.. NICE! He's got the time alignment perfect and the eq is as flat as I've ever heard in any car. Man the imaging is spot on.. Nice wide sound stage at the perfect height. I think he'll fare very well with the car.. Nice job.. I'll try to find his cardomain link.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2579094

I'm convinced.. the 701 processor is all you need.. send it a good optic signal, and the rest is in GOOD tuning and install.

The H701 might be nice but I don't think I can utilize all of its features without more money and hassle than a P9 combo. I cannot use a Wxxx HU as he did.

~Magick_Man~
06-06-2007, 01:11 AM
h701 + c701 + optical from carputer = teh win
if you can run a cd player/ radio directly from the carputer than that is all you need.
now if you have to have a headunit so you can use it for radio / cd player than i am not sure what to say short of buy the pioneer.

the pioneer is definitely a great unit but what i have seen in jntar's truck is it can be a pain at times to adjust the eq.
but that can also be said for the h701 so it is basically a toss up between the two.

if you can afford it i would say just go with the p9 and call it a day.

~Magick_Man~

JonJT
06-06-2007, 01:33 AM
h701 + c701 + optical from carputer = teh win
if you can run a cd player/ radio directly from the carputer than that is all you need.
now if you have to have a headunit so you can use it for radio / cd player than i am not sure what to say short of buy the pioneer.

the pioneer is definitely a great unit but what i have seen in jntar's truck is it can be a pain at times to adjust the eq.
but that can also be said for the h701 so it is basically a toss up between the two.

if you can afford it i would say just go with the p9 and call it a day.

~Magick_Man~

Thats what I want to do, buy the P9. It seems like it will be far easier to deal with.

I don't have provisions for radio reception through the car-puter. Although Radio programing these days almost makes that a nonissue........:rolleyes:
If XM or Sirius offered local stations along with the other programing, I MIGHT consider that, but my limited experience tells me that Satelite radio plays the same crap as local stations do, they just do it over a broader range of channels and charge you for "content".
Basically, having radio is more of a novelity than anything else, BUT it just might be a novelity I don't want to give up.

As for CD play, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just wouldn't be able to mount the drive in-dash as the flip out screen and HU would be in the way. The placement would be ackward, but it COULD work. Also, I don't know how well these computer drives react to bumps and bass. I'd imagine they don't fair as well as drives designed for road use, thats another reason why I want a dedicated HU for CD playback.

This is really quite annoying. It seems I can't do what I want without either buying far more equipment than I want, searching for a product that is no longer made or spending tons of money for esoteric, exotic third party processors that can save the world all while crunching bits for your music. I find it throughly appalling that Apline didn't build FULL compatability with the H701 into their HUs. The processor is so old!!!! If they did, this would be an easy and cheap affair as I'd only need the HU to control volume, serve as a radio tuner, a CD transport and as a controller for the H701.............

But alas........guh! :mad:

Babs
06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
The H701 might be nice but I don't think I can utilize all of its features without more money and hassle than a P9 combo. I cannot use a Wxxx HU as he did.

Where to buy and how much is this P9 combo?

I thought it was pretty darn expensive.. and I'm not seeing too many places online where you could get one, other than the authorized specialty shops.

JonJT
06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Where to buy and how much is this P9 combo?

I thought it was pretty darn expensive.. and I'm not seeing too many places online where you could get one, other than the authorized specialty shops.

I'd get it used. I've heard they go for around 1K used.

To use the H701 I'd need the C701 and normal Alpine HU. That would be all well and good expect for the fact that the C701 goes for around 200 used! That 200 dollars could cover most of the cost for shipping, wires, deadening, glues, resins/epoxies, wood, fuses, cables, screws, raw metal, meters and carpeting.

Igno
06-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I just wish someone would make a processor that's not proprietary with digital in

Babs
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Agreed..

CD Laser --> 1's and 0's --> DAC/Processing --> Preamp to RCA's

The disc "player" would basically just become a CD transport with digital out.. Like a home theater setup.

One problem I see is the volume control is at the end at the analog level.. So you'd have to have some control upfront to that preamp.. AInet control over the 701 for example.

I almost think it's better to have all the reading, processing and preamp IN the head unit, but pull the power supply to external and NO internal power amp..
Ala DRZ9255.

OR at least if the OEM's had RCA preouts.. single flat-EQ left/right or 5.1 whatever.. wouldn't that be Sweeeet!~

DBfan187
06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
AltoMobile Drive30?

PPI DCX-730?

Babs
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I just wish someone would make a processor that's not proprietary with digital in

Actually though, I thought the 701 could be used with other units with optical out???
I might be wrong.

But you'd still need to use the 701 controller for that volume/processing control.

Igno
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Agreed..

CD Laser --> 1's and 0's --> DAC/Processing --> Preamp to RCA's

The disc "player" would basically just become a CD transport with digital out.. Like a home theater setup.

One problem I see is the volume control is at the end at the analog level.. So you'd have to have some control upfront to that preamp.. AInet control over the 701 for example.

I almost think it's better to have all the reading, processing and preamp IN the head unit, but pull the power supply to external and NO internal power amp..
Ala DRZ9255.

OR at least if the OEM's had RCA preouts.. single flat-EQ left/right or 5.1 whatever.. wouldn't that be Sweeeet!~

ahh your right we are sending the digital signal away from the volume control, instead of to it like home audio:crap:

Igno
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Actually though, I thought the 701 could be used with other units with optical out???
I might be wrong.

But you'd still need to use the 701 controller for that volume/processing control.

to much money for me to get into all that, I am lazy on T/A AND PARA'S any way, the new alpine processor with audessey built in looks cool, I am going to swap out my cd7100 for a clarion 675 and use my amp crossovers and see how that works, the most noticeable difference in SQ difference I have gotten was the cheapest thing I bought the dynamat, I did 1 door and not the other wow it's a very audible difference, of course I found where the idiots made there own screw holes in my door putting my panels back on:pissed: afraid to do the other door who knows what I will find, and I guessed they just kept the 12 gauge speaker wire I brought them. They did 1 good thing they made me a DIY SORRY FOR THE RANT

JonJT
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Those Altomobile units are SOOOOO expensive. I don't know if I can justify over $1000 for just a processor, especially when I'll still need to get a HU. And them things aren't very common so getting them used is very difficult.

Babs
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
to much money for me to get into all that, I am lazy on T/A AND PARA'S any way, the new alpine processor with audessey built in looks cool, I am going to swap out my cd7100 for a clarion 675 and use my amp crossovers and see how that works, the most noticeable difference in SQ difference I have gotten was the cheapest thing I bought the dynamat, I did 1 door and not the other wow it's a very audible difference, of course I found where the idiots made there own screw holes in my door putting my panels back on:pissed: afraid to do the other door who knows what I will find, and I guessed they just kept the 12 gauge speaker wire I brought them. They did 1 good thing they made me a DIY SORRY FOR THE RANT

I would have thought that CD7100 would sound pretty darn good. Are you not pleased with the 7100?

If that head unit is what it's supposed to be, there's definitely something else in your chain that's not satisfying you..

Sound deadening will definitely help.. When I start to do my system, I want to do the entire car throughout. Oh, and definitely IF YOU CAN, do it yourself... Otherwise, it's the search for a trustworthy installer that won't screw you, which I can imagine is difficult unless they let you watch them work.. Sorry I just don't trust many.

But the whole install is very important with amps, aftermarket speakers, soundproofing, etc... If the wiring ***** for speakers, interconnects or power, that's also an issue. It's easy just to throw it in there with cheap wiring and poor connections and call it done.. Another reason to ask the installer to watch them work.. If they refuse.. see ya.

JonJT
06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Just got off the phone with Apline USA. The customer service rep said that any 2007 or 2006 DVD head units will have full control of the H701. Fantastic! I'm just going to pick up a used H701 and a used DVD Apline Head unit and use it as a transport. This is fantastic!

Babs
06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I'll bet you'll dig it.. I saw new 9860's out there somewhere for decent prices too.
I'm waiting on the CDA-9887.. I think it will be my pinnacle of diminishing returns..
Unless I find a steal on the 3sixty.2, PXE-H650 maybe or MS-8 (1st choice of the 3)

Igno
06-07-2007, 05:21 PM
I would have thought that CD7100 would sound pretty darn good. Are you not pleased with the 7100?

If that head unit is what it's supposed to be, there's definitely something else in your chain that's not satisfying you..

Sound deadening will definitely help.. When I start to do my system, I want to do the entire car throughout. Oh, and definitely IF YOU CAN, do it yourself... Otherwise, it's the search for a trustworthy installer that won't screw you, which I can imagine is difficult unless they let you watch them work.. Sorry I just don't trust many.

But the whole install is very important with amps, aftermarket speakers, soundproofing, etc... If the wiring ***** for speakers, interconnects or power, that's also an issue. It's easy just to throw it in there with cheap wiring and poor connections and call it done.. Another reason to ask the installer to watch them work.. If they refuse.. see ya.

it sounds good, the clarion was dirt cheap dd dvd touch panel for 670 shipped never had 1 it was an impulse buy:suicide: , I think I am going to probaly miss the Eclipse, I have to much stuff right now, got some rainbow prof vandium phase plug's going in to replace my DLS 6.2i( a month old:eek: ), sold my rear fill qsd MB Quarts, going to focus on front speakers and sound deadning

JonJT
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I'll bet you'll dig it.. I saw new 9860's out there somewhere for decent prices too.
I'm waiting on the CDA-9887.. I think it will be my pinnacle of diminishing returns..
Unless I find a steal on the 3sixty.2, PXE-H650 maybe or MS-8 (1st choice of the 3)

I think diminishing returns would be exceded with even a 9860. I only need the head unit for the following things:
Volume control
H701 control
Digital audio output via toshlink
Minimal Radio use, even HD and Satelite radio

And nothing else. A transport with undiscernible jitter and wow and flutter levels shouldn't be hard to build. I'd feel kinda stupid paying $400 dollars for a HU when I'm only going to use it for those 4 reasons. Its not even going to be my main source! I may just wait until the 08's come out and get a used 06 DIRT cheep!

squeak9798
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM

The only limitation when using the 9860/1 is the inability to switch between nonAi-net input sources on the H701. With the C701 there is a menu with the ability to select the inputs directly. This is not an option with the 9860/1 so any other sources need to be controlled thru an Ai-net connection.

I've used both the C701 and the 9860. Honestly, once you spend 5 minutes with the 9860 you realize that it's pretty **** simple to navigate and control the H701. Yes, the C701's GUI is a easier to navigate. But the 9860 is NOT as difficult as everyone makes it out to be.

The only reason I see for someone needing the C701 when using the 9860/1 would be for input selection. Otherwise the difference in navigation abilities simply is not worth the price unless you are slow or lazy........or you simply found an unbelievable deal on a C701.

The H701's digital inputs are not proprietary. You can use it with any headunit that has Toslink output or with the addition of a digital coaxial to toslink convertor any headunit that has digital coax out aswell (such as the Eclipse 8053).

You would need the C701 controller in the above instances. Which I don't think is bad considering the only other real options for creating a universal external DSP are to 1) build the controls into the unit itself, which ofcourse means you would need to run to the trunk anytime you wanted to adjust anything, 2) control it with a device the consumer already owns such as a PDA or computer; the former would mean someone who does not own a PDA would have to go purchase one and the later is difficult for someone who only owns a desktop (and I can tell you I personally am not transporting my desktop to the garage simply to adjust a DSP).

Igno
06-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I would control volume and everything else still with my head unit, and only use the C701 to control T/A and X-over's?

JonJT
06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I would control volume and everything else still with my head unit, and only use the C701 to control T/A and X-over's?

Why do that when your head unit can control time alignment and crossovers itself?

If the 9860/1 cannot switch between non Ai-net devices and itself, how would you select the input you want? Is there a way to switch between the "Head Unit" "DVD changer" and "CD changer" Toshlink inputs on the H701 using a 9860/1? If not, I'd think you'd have to run the non Ai-net device through the headunit itself and use the device through the "AUX" input. Its an offly cumbersome way of connecting a device and you loose the functionality of the othe 2 digital inputs unless you have Ai-NET devices.

But wait, does the 9860 or 9861 even have a toshlink input? I CAN NOT justify spending 400 dollars on a CD audio transport and a digital volume attenuator.

Igno
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
because I have a double din clarion that has digital out, I just got it hours ago but I am pretty sure the x-over's are not that great or non existent, off to read the book

JonJT
06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Checked the manual, don't think it has an optical input.

I don't even thing the 9965 has one!

JonJT
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
because I have a double din clarion that has digital out, I just got it hours ago but I am pretty sure the x-over's are not that great or non existent, off to read the book

Yeah, read the manual first. I donno what model you have but I do know Clarion makes some models with up to 4 way crossovers with decent slope and frequency options. If I had one of those clarions, I wouldn't think it necessary to spend double as much just to get a little extra flexability.

squeak9798
06-07-2007, 11:16 PM
If the 9860/1 cannot switch between non Ai-net devices and itself, how would you select the input you want? Is there a way to switch between the "Head Unit" "DVD changer" and "CD changer" Toshlink inputs on the H701 using a 9860/1?

You can't; unless they are Ai-net devices.

I'm not sure off hand whether or not Alpine has any add-ons that allow you to interface non Ai-net devices with the system. Never had the need, so I've never bothered to look into it.

But wait, does the 9860 or 9861 even have a toshlink input?

No.

Igno
06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, read the manual first. I donno what model you have but I do know Clarion makes some models with up to 4 way crossovers with decent slope and frequency options. If I had one of those clarions, I wouldn't think it necessary to spend double as much just to get a little extra flexability.

it has a little not near as much as the eclipse, its not what I would call a clarion sq unit, Max675 thier only flat panel thats not a flip out this year

JonJT
06-08-2007, 12:58 AM
o, alright well then good luck with you system Igno

JonJT
06-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Ugh, I guess I'll have to call Alpine america tomorrow for a second time.......

Babs
06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
it has a little not near as much as the eclipse, its not what I would call a clarion sq unit, Max675 thier only flat panel thats not a flip out this year

Hey there's clarions "version" of an external processor.. The DVH940N.. Does have a HP/LP crossover and time alignment.. May not be the level of the H701, but might be a solution with your clarion head unit. ?? A thought. I have no idea how good it is.

Igno
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I have been looking at it, I might just use the Arc SE crossovers or get memphis X03, wait it out for somthing new, looked at the PPI730 I think?

JonJT
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Just called Alpine USA. The service rep said that this problem cannot be handled in the digital relm, but you can get an input adaptor for the H701 and it can be done in the analog relm. That of course, means you must handle the digital to analog conversion elsewhere. With that PC, that probably means buying a good sound card and making a larger enclosure.

The P9 is again, a more versatile unit. As of right now my two options are:

Used Alpine DVD HU (probably a 9860/1)->Creative EM-U0404 sound card for digital analog conversion->H701

Or:
Pioneer DEX/DEQ P9 combo (prefered as it seems to be able to handle everything I need although, I am going to call pioneer about this)

Whichever comes cheaper.

JonJT
06-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm glad I called pioneer. In order to use a no Pioneer source, you must connect that source to the DEQ-P9's AUX inputs. Those inputs are analog. The DEX then converts it to digital, passes it to the DEX, which processes it, converts it back to analog and then sends it to the amps.

Thats a hell of a lot of conversion going on. D->A, then A->D then D->A again. The Alpine system might be a better bet.

Igno
06-08-2007, 05:51 PM
MS-8 out in the fall

JonJT
06-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Who makes it?

JonJT
06-08-2007, 07:04 PM
NVM, found it myself. The features look interesting, and the price looks right. I'll have to do more research.

Igno
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
some guy is competing with it and doing well according to a post I ran across

JonJT
06-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I read a whole write up and a 19 page thread about it on some forum wiht a JBL insider. Its a VERY powerful unit and can do everything I want, plus some nice trichery with quazi-auto EQ and nice Logic 7 DSP that is VERY useful for multi-chanel audio in-car (something I'm not interested in).

I also peaked at the Alpine-H650 which is not nearly as powerful as the JBL unit (as price woudl suggest) but I have yet to determine if it will do what I want. I have to reasearch that also. I don't need Logic 7 whatsoever as I won't ever impliment multichannel audio in my car.

Igno
06-08-2007, 10:31 PM
agreed not interested in multichannel, but probaly any future units I think will have it?

JonJT
06-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, future units will all probably support it but I just won't use it. The MS-8 can and will work very well for a 3 way front stage with subs.

Igno
06-09-2007, 01:11 AM
can you post up any specs does it have digital in?

JonJT
06-09-2007, 01:19 AM
From a JBL employee:

I've received lots of PM and a bunch of questions about how this thing will work, so this is more for informative purposes than a shameless plug for our product...For those of you who may be wondering about this thing, Here's a description:

MS-8 comes with the pre-amp/amp, a small display, a wireless remote control, a binaural microphone and a setup CD.

MS-8 will have 8 speaker level inputs, 8 line level inputs and an iPod input. The inputs are summed to provide a full-range 2-channel signal. If 6 or fewer inputs are required, then the last 2 can be used for an additional aux input.

There are no digital inputs. Why? Because the real benefit of digital input is "no noise". The downside to providing one is that for 99 percent of users, it's more hassle than it's worth and will cause a great deal of confusion. Not too many people understand that the connector doesn't determine the signal. What I mean is, if we put a toslink input and a user hooks up a toslink output, it will only work is the signal is compatible. DVD-Audio isn't available on a digital output, DVD signals are 48k, PCM is 44.1, home-made digital audio can be anything. The signal from tuners is often only output on the RCAs. For the vast majority of users, there is no benefit and too much opportunity for disappointment. As far as noise goes, our inputs are differential, so the commoon mode noise rejection is super high. There won't be any noise.

There are 8 input channels, so the 8 speaker level inputs and 8 line level inputs are basically in parallel. You can use any combination.

Once the signals have been combined and un-EQed (for a flat 2-channel signal), the signal is processed with Logic7. That provides signal steering for a center channel (if you have one--if not, no problem) and processing for side and rear channels. L7 works on any 2-channel source and is our version is written for cars rather than live-in rooms, so it sounds MUCH better than any of the encoded formats in a car. The 2-channel downmix of any encoded DVD or DVD-A disc will play back in full surround. If good-old 2-channel is what you want, L7 is defeatable and the channels are fully configurable (there are 8 output channels and they can be pre-amp channels or powered channels--20W x 8 at 4 ohms, 30W at 2 ohms). You can have 3-way front, a center and a sub, 2-way front, rear and a sub...whatever you want to do.

The electronic crossover that's built in is fully configurable. You can assign any channel to be anything and it includes an EZ setup mode and an advanced mode. In EZ setup, you tell each channel the speaker location (front right, for example), then you tell it what speaker is connected (6" full-range). It sets the crossover point. In advanced mode, you tell the channel the location (right front) and then assign a filter type (HP, LP, BP) and then you set the filter frequency (you can assign any value between 20 at 20kHz) and the slope (1st-4th order).

After the crossover setup is completed, you move on to the EQ. You put on the microphones (they look like airline headphones but contain mics instead of speakers) and insert the CD. The display will give you some instructions to sit in the driver's seat and look at the left mirror and press "go". the unit will make a quick sweep of all 8 output channels. Then it will ask you to look forward and will make another sweep. Finally, it'll ask you to look to the right--another quick sweep. You can measure only the driver's seat or up to 4 seats. After the measurements are made (takes about 5 minutes) the unit will calculate the frequency response, level and arrival time for all 8 channels in each seat and crunch some numbers (another 30 seconds or so). It auto-tunes the car with 48 measurements per seat (up to 4 seats). It will output a tuning optimized for the driver, passenger, compromise between driver and passenger and one for the rear seats. If you use a center channel, both front seats will sound the same and the image will be great for rear seat passengers too.

After the auto-tuning is done, it will allow you to change the target curve. You can call up a 31-band EQ tool and make whatever changes you want. Unlike a regular EQ, you don't have to find an RTA and tune the car with the EQ, you just draw the curve you want to hear and press "go" and it does the work in implementing your curve. Then you can switch back and forth between your curve and the automatic one and continue making changes until you're satisfied. The curve you draw will always be adjusted in level so that the maximum number of bits are available to describe the signal (optimized for dynamic range). Once you save the curve, you can access any of the settings optimized for any seat using the remote control and the display.

You can turn Logic7 on and off, adjust the level of the center channel, use a balance control, fader, 3 or 11-band graphic EQ or adjust the level of the bass. THe bass control isn't a gain control for the subwoofer output, it's a filter that works with the crossover and applies the right amount of bass to ALL channels so the illusion of bass up front isn't destroyed when you turn up the bass.

Answers to some likely questions:

1. You don't have to use the unit's volume control. You can use the one in the head-unit if you want to.
2. Maximum input voltage on the RCAs is 2V and 15V on the speaker level inputs. The signal is converted directly into digital after the preamp buffer, so a high signal level is far less important in this device than in conventional ones. The input is fully differential, so there won't be noise. I suggest speaker level connections because they are COMPLETELY isolated from ground.
3. The automatic EQ isn't exactly parametric or graphic. It's a very powerful algorithm that works on the impulse response to adjust both time and frequency response. It's amazing and does in about 30 seconds what I can do with an 80 band parametric EQ, crossover, time alignment and a serious analyzer in about 3 days.
4. The display doesn't have to be mounted. If you don't want iPod control or the ability to adjust after setup, you can unplug the display and use MS-8 as a "black box".
5. The unit is small--about 8.5" x 11" x 2.5"
6. Price will be about $800...TBD
7. The software is updatable via USB and a PC.

It does what all other OEM integration tools do and what every other DSP (EQ, Crossover, Time alignment, 7.1) processors do, but it sounds better, is easier to use, is less expensive and is far more advanced in terms of DSP power. Best of all, it's a tool you can be successful with, rather than a whiz-bang collection of filters and adjustment possibilities that require a PhD in acousitcs to use.

It does not have Digital inputs.

Here (http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/showthread.php?t=63407) is the thread it came from.

That little unit has some seriously sick algorithyms. It does some cool stuff.

JonJT
06-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Its official, no HU for me.

Its going to be a car-puter, possibly in dash with a laptop drive and a www.mp3car.com tuner to handle HD and analog radio. Then the Apline H701/C701 unit will handle volume control, EQing, X-over, time alignment, etc. Yes I'm back to the old alpine unit. Its got a stylish control unit that will blend well with the interior of my Maxima, it will do exactly what I want, it will allow me to use toshlink outputs keeping the D->A/A->D conversions to a minimum and the combo should be far cheaper than the JBL unit.

Sweet! Now that I know what I'm doing, I just need to sort out what hardware I need to get to make this computer happen!

Babs
06-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see how a car-puter / H701 works out.

So you'll have a couple control "panels" then I guess..
One for the car-pc and the c701.

I'm really considering the ms-8 if for any reason it's a single box that does it all and I'd get to keep the 6-disc OEM clarion in the dash. Just add ms-8, speakers, sub and sub-amp and you're done. And of course, I'd do good speaker re-wiring and some raamatt, and probably upgrade from the built in MS-8 amps, eventually, if needed in the little forester.

And, if I reeeeeally wanted to go SQ, believe it or not.. Could use an iPod with lossless, through http://www.hippohifi.com/index.html, then into aux input of the ms-8 and control the volume from the ms-8 control.. All while the dash looks completely stock.

Babs
06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
can you post up any specs does it have digital in?

No digi-ins.. the MS-8 is like the H650 and 3Sixty units.. OEM integration, meaning takes speaker level analog from any head unit and possibly RCA line-levels. Then it digi-processes, then sends analog-out, line level or other. So yes, there's more DA conversion but apparantly these units are pretty clean. Seems like the cleansweep started it, then the 3sixty said "oh yeah, how bout time alignment, then now the mark to reach is "just push a button to tune".

Some publication could do an "OEM integration processor shootout" to see who's the daddy when the new units come out. They all look pretty good.

JonJT
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd love to see how a car-puter / H701 works out.

So you'll have a couple control "panels" then I guess..
One for the car-pc and the c701.

I'm really considering the ms-8 if for any reason it's a single box that does it all and I'd get to keep the 6-disc OEM clarion in the dash. Just add ms-8, speakers, sub and sub-amp and you're done. And of course, I'd do good speaker re-wiring and some raamatt, and probably upgrade from the built in MS-8 amps, eventually, if needed in the little forester.

And, if I reeeeeally wanted to go SQ, believe it or not.. Could use an iPod with lossless, through http://www.hippohifi.com/index.html, then into aux input of the ms-8 and control the volume from the ms-8 control.. All while the dash looks completely stock.
Yep, two control panels it will be.

Babs
06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
So how hard is it to do a carputer?
Anyone built one with serious SQ?
Crossovers, time alignment, etc.?

Makes me think with all the stuff going on in the PC, you'd have to have the audio processing external via an H701 or similar, or you risk noise and signal degradation if you process the audio in the PC.

Would be cool to use the car-pc as a music server though.

Igno
06-12-2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/

info here

JonJT
06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
So how hard is it to do a carputer?
Anyone built one with serious SQ?
Crossovers, time alignment, etc.?

Makes me think with all the stuff going on in the PC, you'd have to have the audio processing external via an H701 or similar, or you risk noise and signal degradation if you process the audio in the PC.

Would be cool to use the car-pc as a music server though.

There really aren't any affordable solutions for in computer sound processing. External processors like the JBL, Alpine and Pioneer units are far more adept at doing all the processing that is needed, and at a far far cheaper price.

Basically, this is what I had planned.

CarPC with Toshlink->Alpine H701/C701->Memphis 5004 and Memphis Belle1300->Custom front stage and dual RL-i10s glassed in the trunk.

The computer only passes the audio on to typical car audio equipment. Most people who install car puters do so for music server, GPS, Nav, Internet and other functions. You can build a small Windows based MiniITX rig for about 800 dollars that can do all that, and then some.
If you go with a *nix build then even an el-cheapo 500mhz PIII will do the trick.

JonJT
06-12-2007, 02:15 PM
O, and yes, there are many people over at mp3car.com that compete and win with their car computers. Not to mention, integrating CD playback, radio, HD radio and sat radio is a simple affair. Many people don't even bother with Head Units either. If I wasn't so stuck on having tactile control of my stereo, I'd go with a double din screen mounted in my dash and just control the radio using the touchscreen.

Babs
06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
... Many people don't even bother with Head Units either.

Given the current choices in head units, I don't blame them..
Basically, it's just an AM/FM radio and a disc transport "reader"...
The processor receiving digital, amps and drivers do the rest.. If you can pipe in radio into the processor somehow, even better.

Eh, I might just have to break down and get silly and go with a drz9255 and be done with it. :)