PDA

View Full Version : PG 65cs

thehardknoxlife
05-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I've had these in my work vehicle for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed by this inexpensive set. They are in my doors that are fully deadened inside and out. I attached them with a 3/4" baffle and clay to add more mass and prevent any leaks.The amp I use is a Xenon 100.4 bridged to power the set.

The signal comes from a Pioneer p860mp....(The Xenon+p860mp combo forces me to keep the gains very low...1/4 or lower...8 ohms bridged I can get it a little over 1/2 way before clipping....4 ohms bridged I can get 75-100 with gain all the way down<-- that goes for all my Xenon amps....major output at the lowest gain setting @ 2 ohms or lower on the mono's).

The tweeter is very easy on the ears. It's a little harsh on some tracks due to my EQ curve but when set to flat would perform really well for most listeners. They have decent clarity not the best but very good for what they cost.

The mid-woofer is what really makes these shine. The mid-range is the only area I feel that needs a little EQ to suit my liking.<--haven't worked that out yet. The mid bass is the set's strongest point. They will play low and loud. I had them taking 75-100 (DMM'd @ Vl 27 @100 watts) with no filter,volume 25, 1/4 gain, BBE +4, and they handled it no sweat for about a 30-40 minute drive. I couldn't get them to distort till I increased the volume above 27. I think that was due to the deck sending a dirty signal. I would have no fear of damaging these with a low X-Over point. I currently run them @63hz,-6db, BBE 0, EQ mostly flat, DMM'd 120 watts @ volume 26. They took a few days to break in before I really got a taste of what these offer. Probably one of the best budget sets available.

I dropped these in over a set of Polk MM6's and they are better in every category with 1/2 the power. Although the Polk tweeter is louder but isn't as detailed and is far more harsh. A little more juice and a higher X-over point would louden them up a bit I suppose. I can't attest to the RSD's power handling as of yet, though I did beat on them pretty good running them with no filter. If I had to sum it all up in a few words it'd be "Cheap Performance".

Towncar
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear you liked them...