PDA

View Full Version : I need small plasma moniters

bigbang
05-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Any idea where I can find small, standard definition plasma moniters for my car? I dont care if they aren't 12volt. I'm done with LCD:violent: , after trying to watch spiderman 3 and everything was way to hard to see (too many deep blacks).

AVSTANG02
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
hahahaha.. this is a joke right?

bumpin_blazer
05-27-2007, 11:08 AM
no dawg didn't you know when you roll in your camry you gotta roll plasma! :D

bigbang
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
This is not a joke. LCD is terrible with contrast ratio. All blacks turn into a uniform dark grey. Plasma may use more electricity and not last as long but has superior darks and better colors. Plus the screen is glass and doesnt scratch as easy or haze like an LCD's plastic screen. LCD is generic and you are all jealous of my great idea. Toyota Camrys rock, they last forever and dont need much sound deadening. And besides, any money spent now is just on equipment I will transfer over to my next car which I am saving up for (Hopefully a toyota celica GTS). So spare me the negative feedback, whats wrong with wanting the best picture possible along with great sound, even if its temporarily in an old car which I am gaining instalation experience from?

bumpin_blazer
05-28-2007, 12:31 AM
lcd vs. plasma is as much personal pref. as it is picture. some people actually prefer the look of an LCD over a Plasma.

oh and on the topic of being jealous of your 17yr old camry......i am afraid not bubba. i'll take my car :D.

bigbang
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I didn't say anything about being jealous of my car, but of my original idea. My cars 14 years old, and theres no body rust and good upholstry I reclaimed from a junkyard, and tinted windows. I put high performance (white) halogens up front, clear corner lenses and turn signals and have a newer style trunk lid without the long tailight reflector and instead a spoiler with brake lights across it. I dont care how old a car is, if you take care of it, keep it clean, and pay attention to meticulous instalations, it deserves more respect than a young punk throwing a carpeted piece of shitt ported prefab box to role around in the trunk. I have a nice clean ride for a few more years until I get a new one. So spare me your stuck up comments and pisss off.

Plasma Vs LCD:

Plasma: Superior blacks (much higher contrast ratio) and doesnt have continuous
backlighting with bleed through
Plasma: Higher peak light outputs
Plasma: Wider viewing angle
LCD: Screen scratched and damaged easier
LCD: Looks like shitt
LCD: Less expensive and less power consumption (great for cheap people)

02parkave
05-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Not getting into this pissing contest about a 14yr old car with a junkyard interior, but the plasma's dont go that small for some reason.. maybe you could buy not cheap ebay lcd's?

bumpin_blazer
05-28-2007, 03:21 PM
I didn't say anything about being jealous of my car, but of my original idea. My cars 14 years old, and theres no body rust and good upholstry I reclaimed from a junkyard, and tinted windows. I put high performance (white) halogens up front, clear corner lenses and turn signals and have a newer style trunk lid without the long tailight reflector and instead a spoiler with brake lights across it. I dont care how old a car is, if you take care of it, keep it clean, and pay attention to meticulous instalations, it deserves more respect than a young punk throwing a carpeted piece of shitt ported prefab box to role around in the trunk. I have a nice clean ride for a few more years until I get a new one. So spare me your stuck up comments and pisss off.

Plasma Vs LCD:

ok so what brand of LCD did you buy then? you say they're great for cheap people but i've been in many cars with 10-30" LCD's that had no problems showing blacks or grays or Anime which has bright color scheme's. LCD's can have up to 185 degree viewing angle so I don't think that the other 5 degree IF any plasma does it will make much difference.

on being original, i've had customers ask me for plasma screens in their cars so you aren't original in the least bit. stuck up comments.....yeah keep feeling that way kid. i couldn't care less what you think i was just enjoying making fun of you.

Beat_Dominator
05-28-2007, 03:26 PM
It's a physical limitation with plasma displays that they can only be so small, the smallest HD plasmas are 37" or so. I doubt you could get much smaller than 20" with standard def.

Calikid
05-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Any idea where I can find small, standard definition plasma moniters for my car? I dont care if they aren't 12volt. I'm done with LCD:violent: , after trying to watch spiderman 3 and everything was way to hard to see (too many deep blacks).

let see , spider man came out weeks ago, im guessing u were watching a bootleg???
maybe thats why there were too many deep blacks???:suicide:

bigbang
05-28-2007, 04:27 PM
(let see , spider man came out weeks ago, im guessing u were watching a bootleg???
maybe thats why there were too many deep blacks???)

Bingo. Never thought about that...probably made a bad situation worse.

(ok so what brand of LCD did you buy then? you say they're great for cheap people but i've been in many cars with 10-30" LCD's that had no problems showing blacks or grays or Anime which has bright color scheme's. LCD's can have up to 185 degree viewing angle so I don't think that the other 5 degree IF any plasma does it will make much difference.)

I have a piece of junk Dual for the moment. I had a Pioneer for a while, same picture problems. Dont even heat on me for the Dual, I'm about to return it. Im going to buy a new DVD reciever without a built in screen and try to mold a bigger than 7" screen somewhere in my dash, havent decided yet, maybe have it flip up below the front windshield. As for viewing angle, LCD really anoys me in the vertical sense where the image gets lighter/darker. And at night, I have yet to see an LCD with realistic blacks. Never had an issue on color though.

(on being original, i've had customers ask me for plasma screens in their cars so you aren't original in the least bit. stuck up comments.....yeah keep feeling that way kid. i couldn't care less what you think i was just enjoying making fun of you.)

Keep talking wise guy, I bet your 17 year old 93' Jimmy was a piece too.

(Not getting into this pissing contest about a 14yr old car with a junkyard interior,)

Props to this guy, hes funny unlike you.

02parkave
05-28-2007, 04:34 PM
:)

elementxero
05-28-2007, 04:43 PM
(let see , spider man came out weeks ago, im guessing u were watching a bootleg???
maybe thats why there were too many deep blacks???)

Bingo. Never thought about that...probably made a bad situation worse.

(ok so what brand of LCD did you buy then? you say they're great for cheap people but i've been in many cars with 10-30" LCD's that had no problems showing blacks or grays or Anime which has bright color scheme's. LCD's can have up to 185 degree viewing angle so I don't think that the other 5 degree IF any plasma does it will make much difference.)

I have a piece of junk Dual for the moment. I had a Pioneer for a while, same picture problems. Dont even heat on me for the Dual, I'm about to return it. Im going to buy a new DVD reciever without a built in screen and try to mold a bigger than 7" screen somewhere in my dash, havent decided yet, maybe have it flip up below the front windshield. As for viewing angle, LCD really anoys me in the vertical sense where the image gets lighter/darker. And at night, I have yet to see an LCD with realistic blacks. Never had an issue on color though.

(on being original, i've had customers ask me for plasma screens in their cars so you aren't original in the least bit. stuck up comments.....yeah keep feeling that way kid. i couldn't care less what you think i was just enjoying making fun of you.)

(Not getting into this pissing contest about a 14yr old car with a junkyard interior,)

/backs off slowly

Yikes:crap:

bumpin_blazer
05-28-2007, 05:53 PM

yep you're right a 400+hp/tq piece of junk that could put a 150 on the dash with 2 12"s. total piece of junk that lasted me to 200,000+ miles with no work done to the stock block or tranny despite adding that power. next you'll hate on my dakota that had more power than the jimmy right? or maybe you'll get a brain and just shut up now.

now why don't you do us all a favor here and 1) stop looking for product that doesn't and won't exist due to size limits of a Plasma and 2) go back to walmart and buy some more gear that the guy tells you is the greatest thing out there.

bigbang
05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Actually that model Dual isn't sold at wallmart, and I bought it from a Parts Express flyer because it had way more features than any reputable brand at the same price. Now I'm returning it because it has noise out the front left RCA and I won't touch that brand again.

(or maybe you'll get a brain and just shut up now)
Coming from the guy that can't subtract 1993 from 2007

bumpin_blazer
05-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually that model Dual isn't sold at wallmart, and I bought it from a Parts Express flyer because it had way more features than any reputable brand at the same price. Now I'm returning it because it has noise out the front left RCA and I won't touch that brand again.

(or maybe you'll get a brain and just shut up now)
Coming from the guy that can't subtract 1993 from 2007

i guess i can't make a typing error? not sure if you can see that a 4 is right below a 7.

bigbang
05-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Can't argue with that. I had noticed your bad grammer and lack of proofreading. I guess by 150db you probably meant 120?

quest51210
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM

Plasma Vs LCD:

my 62" pioneer elite has issues with black as well and thats a properly set-up $8000 plasma. i am not impressed with its picture quality with black screenshots.

RipDaJacka
05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Can't argue with that. I had noticed your bad grammer and lack of proofreading. I guess by 150db you probably meant 120?

entertaining plz continue

bigbang
05-29-2007, 04:04 AM
I think I'm going to nix the whole plasma idea, I'm going back to strictly audio until the picture quality and options increase. I'm disapointed in how much it costs to have a great sounding 5.1 system with plenty of audio control, and how expensive the quality DVD units actually cost. Back to simple stereo and my trusty Pioneer DEH-P8600MP. I'll save watching movies for my home theater for the time being.

Bring97
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
good choice considering even if you were to get a plasma in there have fun dealing with the glare from the glass...

quest51210
05-29-2007, 10:01 PM
a nice indash will only cost you about $1500 dont see the big issue

bumpin_blazer
05-29-2007, 11:40 PM

dude you've got 4 typing errors in this thread so why comment on mine? On the topic of 150db no I do actually mean 150 with 2 12"s, I've also done a 148 with 1 L5 15" and 800watts all on a TL or B&K mic. go back to your hole kid and enjoy your moms old car.

j3bus2k3
05-29-2007, 11:44 PM
good choice considering even if you were to get a plasma in there have fun dealing with the glare from the glass...

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this...

bumpin_blazer
05-30-2007, 12:02 AM
i honestly figured he was kidding through 99% of the thread.

fwb_1234
05-30-2007, 12:16 AM
this gets better and better as you read through it

bigbang
05-31-2007, 04:54 AM
LCD *****, my thread wasn't a joke, aparently I'm the only one with high expectations for picture quality, and apparently sound quality also, since all anyone cares about is SPL. I don't have $1500 to waste on an in-dash which still will have the same bad picture quality, and "bumpin blazer" is a ****** fagggot. I hope you crash your car while your boyfriend gives you road-head, *****.

bumpin_blazer
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
LCD *****, my thread wasn't a joke, aparently I'm the only one with high expectations for picture quality, and apparently sound quality also, since all anyone cares about is SPL. I don't have $1500 to waste on an in-dash which still will have the same bad picture quality, and "bumpin blazer" is a ****** fagggot. I hope you crash your car while your boyfriend gives you road-head, *****.

you point out other peoples issue with grammar/spelling and yet you've messed up a good 5 times in this thread alone. what a lack of contribution to this place why don't you do us all a favor and :suicide:

ricoshay
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
LCD *****, my thread wasn't a joke,

no, DUAL lcd ***** and IS a joke

aparently I'm the only one with high expectations for picture quality,

If you had high expectations for picture quality, why did you go out and buy the CHEEPEST indash the entire internet could offer without so much as checking a review, seeing it in person, or using common sense?

. I don't have $1500 to waste on an in-dash which still will have the same bad picture quality, .

How much did you expect to pay for a PROTOTYPE plasma indash?

Bring97
05-31-2007, 12:09 PM

bro calm down with all the hostility...
apparently you want better, well there is no plasma screen that is that small, smallest one that is made is a 40" (might be 42). also because of the glass on the plasma youd have a considerable amount of glare and wouldnt be able to see the screen. LCD is the only route if you want something that looks better buck up and spend some coin, cause the sayings "you get what you pay for" and "you have to pay to play" are very true. dont assume things that you dont know, espicailly about the SPL thing, i was into spl and now look what my system consists of/will consist of. so calm down cause the arguing is getting you no where.

bumpin_blazer
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
bro calm down with all the hostility...
apparently you want better, well there is no plasma screen that is that small, smallest one that is made is a 40" (might be 42). also because of the glass on the plasma youd have a considerable amount of glare and wouldnt be able to see the screen. LCD is the only route if you want something that looks better buck up and spend some coin, cause the sayings "you get what you pay for" and "you have to pay to play" are very true. dont assume things that you dont know, espicailly about the SPL thing, i was into spl and now look what my system consists of/will consist of. so calm down cause the arguing is getting you no where.

yeah i started out in SPL which was how the jimmy started. then i ended up with ppi art 100.2,200.2 and 600.2 on my active 3-way front stage :D. no subs needed at that point.

bigbang
06-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Allright. I got out of hand, and am not trying to make enemies across the continental US. I apologize for my foul statements and want to burry the hatchet and personaly appologize to B.B. for my insults, (which I purposely spelled wrong), and to anybody I offended. I admit to being a bad speller, but try to use good grammer. My car is an old Camry, I'm sure everyone has a much newer car, but I still take pride in its upkeep and clean installs. At least its not the boxy old style one, and my stereo still sounds better than most everyone elses I have heard thus far. I already said the Dual was a piece of crap. I did look at the specs for the display though, and they were average; the brightness, resolution, contrast ratio and viewing angle. I had owned a pioneer flipout (5700 or 7500, I forget) for a couple days before the Dual, but returned it because it was too simplistic, and buying more features would bump the price up fast. To be fair, the Dual did have a shitload of features (bluetooth, SD memory card, integrated iPod control, dual zone modes, two remotes, 24bit D/A, Dolby Digital/Pro Logic 2 decoding built in) for $600, but at a lower quality. Like I said I am returning it and have my old pioneer 8600 back in. I know LCD isn't the final say to small displays. I am looking forward to pioneer hopefully releasing OLED display DVD head units in the distant future, the OLED technology would definately surpass LCD in picture quality in my opinion. Maybe one day SED will emerge too. Plasma was just a curiosity of mine, but I guess it is not marketable. Plasma is usually cheaper than LCD (in home theaters) so why not have a small niche manufacturer make some for cars? Honestly, if people can like plasma better than LCD in a home theater than why couldent it happen in a car?

bigbang
06-01-2007, 07:44 AM
And none of this was a joke! I was hoping somebody would just be like, yeah, this Asian company, Fujitsu Ten makes small Plasmas. Just an example, don't tell me what they really make or start saying how out of touch that statement is!

ricoshay
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
no harm done....and if you want better picture quality, try an alpine, elclipse, or kenwood moitor. If there was some obscure company selling 7" plasma screens do you really think the quality would be that high? But, FIRST go into a store and see if you like the picture...and for the record few prefer a plasma over a GOOD lcd if they can afford one.

JonJT
06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Good lord the immaturity in this thread is completely rediculous.

tigerf117
06-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Plasmas can't, and will prob never get small enough for car displays (other than mounting a huge tv in the back of an exploder). How a plasma works is for every subpixel (red, green, blue for each pixel) there is a tiny glass chamber that holds, guess what, plasma. Its a physical limitation of making glass "tubes" small enough, so don't count on small plasmas like we have LCDs. OLED is far far away, and the government will have the rights to use those before consumer (the biggest or one of the biggest contributor to OLED I believe). SED is owned by Toshiba I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and has been delayed numerous numerous times, so if it ever does come out in the car market, expect it to be exorbitantly priced. The only other alternative is laser TV which supposedly will be cheaper, and have much better picture quality than all the flat panel technologies out there. But again, is getting delayed more and more.

LCD is pretty much the only way to go prob for the next 5+ yrs. LCD technologies only keep getting better as well. BTW, specs don't mean **** on LCDs most of the time. They know people look at specs and buy them based on those, SO they
1)use test methodsprefer their native lcd technology and give them better scores
2)use tricks to jack up the contrast ratio n such.

Hope that clears some things up, I may have some info wrong, this is off the top of my head and from memory but it should be very close to the fact.

SlainNothing
06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
there are over 5 different technologlies of how LCD's work, the newer one that samsung uses on some models has better quality and perfect match to real picture than any plasma and almost crt. so ressearch it.

bigbang
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you. I didn't know the government funded OLED, I though it was all Pioneer's work over the last few years. I went to Target the other day (dragged along by my woman) and saw some LCD's with great blacks, but I also saw a couple great looking plasma's. I coulden't tell a difference, and didn't even pay heed to numbers. I also saw some LCD's with glowing bright blacks. Next time I buy a head unit DVD player, I am bringing the darkest movie I can find and seeing by eye what looks best. Never heard of laser TV, have heard of laser audio where converging beams of different wavelengths and such produce sound at the point of intersection. Have to look into that as well as how many different LCD technologies there are. I was under the assumption that the tech for the screens was all the same, and different companies picked from the same pool of mass produced screens, but invested in unique chipsets and processing. Maybe I should make everyone real angry and look for a small widescreen standard deff CRT. Just kidding, save CRT's for old astrovans.

bigbang
06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
In anyones opinion, which brand has the best LCD picture quality in a head unit?