PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Good Head Unit?

resq911
05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a friend interested in selling me his McIntosh MX 401.
It is control unit only with no amp in it.

Specs are:
AM/FM tuner/CD player. Detachable control panel. Switchable illumination. Digital quartz clock. Mode selector. Digital control lead. Power amp turn on trigger. Cellular phone triggered audio mute. Electronic audio controls. Bass and treble controls. Audio control bypass. 4-way balance control. Audio muting. 4-channel RCA line-level outputs. TUNER: Electronic quartz-locked PLL tuning. Memory storage for 6 AM and 18 FM. Preset station scan. Triple stage IF section. Signal actuated stereo control. CD PLAYER: Full logic CD controls. 8-times oversampling digital filter. Dual 1-bit D/A converters. Zero-bit detector mute circuit. Intro music scan. Last position memory. CHANGER CONTROL: Direct disc select. Play/pause select. Intro music scan (disc/magazine). Multi-changer control capability. Audible FF/FB.

He said it would cost $150, works fine and is a great unit but older. I am wondering if I would be better off with a new head unit, and if you agree, what would you recommend? I would like to keep cost under $250.
Thanks for your advice,
ResQ911

Prowler573
05-26-2007, 08:53 AM
:wave:
Welcome to the forum.

Anything made by McIntosh is generally considered high-end SQ gear.

What are your overall system layout plans?
What are you needing a HU to do for you?

resq911
05-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
I am restoring a Dodge Challenger and want a very nice clean sounding system in it. The exhaust is loud so I need to overcome that. I have installed butyl rubber deadening mat and sound absorbing foam to all interior surfaces. I have 5 speaker locations to use. I wont cut the car to move speakers. 2) 6"x9" on the rear window deck (Infinity Kappa), 2) 3.5" dash sides (Undecided brand) and 1 4"x10" dash center (Undecided brand). I have a Sony XM-2150GSX 150W x 2 amp for rear and am thinking of getting a Nakamichi PA-300 for the front.........not sure yet. I have bought a high quality amp wiring install kit as well. I plan to have an amp for front set and one for rear. I want a CD in the unit and would like it to look classic and not like a big neon sign but I realize that may not be an option.
I like the McIntosh look but am worried as old as it is, newer technology has caught up with it and I could get a better sound with a new deck.
Whatcha think I should do??

konechiwa
05-26-2007, 10:28 AM
sony isn't a good brand. They are bad (IMO and many others).

If it sounds good to you though, use it, however you don't really need a 150x2 amp for the back.

Mcintosh and Nak are both very very good companies. i don't think you can go wrong with either.

resq911
05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
sony isn't a good brand. They are bad (IMO and many others).

If it sounds good to you though, use it, however you don't really need a 150x2 amp for the back.

Mcintosh and Nak are both very very good companies. i don't think you can go wrong with either.

Think I should sell the Sony and get another Nak instead?
Is the PA-300 a good one.........it's from mid-90's, like the Mac.
Thanks for your honest opinions, I want to do this right the first time.
ResQ911

resq911
05-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Will I be giving up SQ with the 8-times oversampling digital filter and Dual 1-bit D/A converters? I see modern HU have 24 bit and "Brown Burr".......I may need an education on some of this stuff.

Thanks for any information you may have to help me.

99StangGt
05-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Go over here on this forum for more info. There should be some people over there that have used that deck.

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/