PDA

View Full Version : White Noise Problem

Geezerpoop
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Today I put the kicker amp in for my subs, and moved the eclipse amp from my subs to my front stage. There is white noise coming from the speakers when the head unit is on. It is always the same volume, even if the volume is at 0. The rear speakers were taken out, and the RCA's for the back speakers are still connected to the head unit while just dangling in the trunk. I did not have this problem with the 4 channel amp that was hooked up to all 4 speakers before. The head unit was not disconnected or taken out for any reason. I have searched on this topic but have not found exactly what causes it. If anyone has any ideas let me know, thanks.

azbass
05-24-2007, 10:41 PM
why does it have to be white noise? seems a little racist.

hows the gain on the amp? im betting its set high and you have floor noise.

Geezerpoop
05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
With the gain set all the way down, i still get the white/black/brown/yellow noise.

Thanks for your quick response though! Any other ideas?

azimuth
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
white noise is healthy. you should leave it. do you fall asleep while driving?:)
http://sleepdisorders.about.com/cs/relaxation/a/whitenoise.htm

Geezerpoop
05-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes i typically sleep while I am driving. That way I can stay up half the night and still be rested by the time I get to work.

azimuth
05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Yes i typically sleep while I am driving. That way I can stay up half the night and still be rested by the time I get to work.

awesome. that's what i do. course, i use jack daniels.

Geezerpoop
05-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Back on topic, has anyone had this problem before or know possible causes?

Gary S
05-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Was the Eclipse amp powering the comps before, or just the subs?

Geezerpoop
05-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Just the subs, and there was no weird noise problem coming out of the subs when they were hooked up to that.

bikinpunk
05-25-2007, 02:13 AM
White or pink noise? j/k

My guess would be poor ground. Do you have separate grounds for each amp, or are they shared by a distro block or simply stacked on top of each other?

dkmesa
05-25-2007, 02:14 AM
I had the exact same symptoms when I hooked up my comps, and it didn't do it when just my sub amp was hooked up. If you wrap some wire around your RCA connectors and ground it to the HU it should solve the problem.

Geezerpoop
05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
White or pink noise? j/k

My guess would be poor ground. Do you have separate grounds for each amp, or are they shared by a distro block or simply stacked on top of each other?

they each have their own ground, and yes one is kind of on top of the other, one is on an amp rack and then one is below it on the ground screwed into the bottom of the trunk

TSC17
05-25-2007, 07:59 AM
I just installed my DLS A7 and Rainbow Germs with the stock HU, and am having the exact same problem. It exists even when the volume is at 0, stays pretty much the same level, and is there even when the car is turned off. As for the gains, they're way below optimum voltage setting, and the noise only goes away when they're turned all the way down.

Geezerpoop
05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
if its there when the car is off its probably a ghost.

bikinpunk
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
they each have their own ground, and yes one is kind of on top of the other, one is on an amp rack and then one is below it on the ground screwed into the bottom of the trunk

I would think if anything, there's your problem. You ideally want a shared ground, that way your odds of path resistance are much lower.

Use a DMM to test your ground. Run one lead to the negative battery terminal using an extra wire, and use the other lead on the ground. Set the DMM to resistance (ohms) and see what resistance you get. You really shouldn't have anything above .5 ohms. If so, test the subwoofer amp's ground (the one you used previously).

If neither of them have a low resistance, find a new grounding location using the DMM. If none of the above is the case, I'd say its in the rca's but definately not restricted to them.

dkmesa
05-25-2007, 01:48 PM
I had the exact same symptoms when I hooked up my comps, and it didn't do it when just my sub amp was hooked up. If you wrap some wire around your RCA connectors and ground it to the HU it should solve the problem.

do that and tell me it doesn't fix the problem...I dare you

Geezerpoop
05-25-2007, 03:01 PM
They do same the same ground for whoever mentioned that, i forgot who it was. I put my old 4 channel amp in and it isn't giving off the white noise. Then I put the amp giving off white noise back on the subs and it didn't do it for the subs. So now I am just confused but atleast i got rid of the noise.

Gary S
05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
They do same the same ground for whoever mentioned that, i forgot who it was. I put my old 4 channel amp in and it isn't giving off the white noise. Then I put the amp giving off white noise back on the subs and it didn't do it for the subs. So now I am just confused but atleast i got rid of the noise.

- The eclipse amp is bad.

You don't hear it on the sub because it's not operating at the same frequencies or harder to hear at those low frequencies.

The electronics today are built very well to reject noise, but when something is not right internally or they break....

Geezerpoop
05-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Ok thanks, I am hopefully selling it to a high school kid down the street who just bought two powerbass subs for about $700...he got a "deal" from the shop because he put their sticker on his car.

They are 150 a sub on woofersetc.