PDA

View Full Version : WTF is going on with my 791???

ace_800
05-23-2007, 08:35 PM
So I originally had a 560xv and called DEI to verify that I can switch to the 791 by just changing out the brain and antenna. Which they said I could and did. When I first installed it the remote start would turn on for 10 seconds and then shut down. So I changed to the voltage setting high and low and still nothing. So I changed it back the tach and programed it. Then it starts shutting off right away. I ran the diagnostic and it was saying the hoodpin switch or e-brake. I cut the hoodpin wire and it started right up and stayed on. I ran an entire new hoodpin wire with a quick release with male/female terminals, so I could plug it and unplug it when I needed to. The strange thing though is that when it was connected and armed the remote would show the hood open when it was and closed when it was closed, like it should but not start. So I sent the brain back to DEI for repair/replacement and got it back today. SAME EXACT THING HAPPENS. So do I have a bad hoodpin switch or is something else going on.

This did not happen at all with the 560. Someone help. Thanks

Qbenjamin
05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
My 791 repeatedly displays my sunroof as being open when it isn't. I can't believe I spent $600 on this crap 2 years ago. WTF. I am soooo disappointed in this alarm.

THUNDERBIRD
05-23-2007, 10:29 PM
yeah it might be your hood pin. are you using the supplied hood pin or a mercury switch or the new ball bearing switch? my supplied hood pin switch ending up sticking down all the time so i could start my car with the hood open, i just replaced it with a mercury switch a few weeks ago. i also replaced a remote start alarm in my buddies truck that the previous installer never hooked a hood pin up on. so if it works not hooked up then leave it and ignore the display.

ace_800
05-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Supplied hood pin, I could have the dealer replace it. Still under warrenty. But why would the remote show the hood open and closed but not have the remote start work?

THUNDERBIRD
05-24-2007, 05:00 AM
could be your neutral saftey wire. who installed it? if it was a shop take it back

ace_800
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
The Neutral safety wire is on the same wiring as the hood pin correct. Then why when I disconnect the hood pin it starts? As I said it didn't do this with the 560.

Shyne151
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Dude if it's showing your hood is open then your hoodpin is not properly installed... Goto radioshack drop 3bucks on a merc switch.

ace_800
05-24-2007, 10:15 AM
It shows my hoodpin open when it should. When the hood is closed, it shows it closed. But, when the hood is shut, the remote start will only turn the car on for a second and shuts off.

SethPhillips
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
then take the hood pin out!!! run a switch on ur nutrual safty switch that gose to ground... and just use the switch when you service ur car.

THUNDERBIRD
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
who installed the new alarm? did you play with any wiring under the dash. maybe somehow the immobilizer bypass went out.

Shyne151
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Stick your key in the ignition turn it to accessory and try remote starting it. That car uses a transponder system, do you have a 556u or somethign up under your dash with a key in it? if not it's not going to start then.

ace_800
05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes it has the 556u, and as I have said before...it worked fine with the 560xv. Which is the same alarm but without the display remote. It was originally installed at a BB in Texas but I switched out the brains and antenna. Nothin else was messed with. the diagnostic keeps informing me its the hoodpin, so I am thinking its a bad hoodpin, but then why would the alarm show it closed and open when it is so? If it was bad then when it is closed it should show open still correct? I could just leave the hoodpin unplugged but I wanted to have the hood alarm portion available.

yo....it's rob
05-25-2007, 02:53 PM
alright, switch your engine checking from On to Off.. on the 791, its the second menu, 1st option. Thats why its shutting down after a few seconds of it being remote started. If it was the hood pin, it wouldnt start at all. Thats the whole purpose behind it. Now i have the new 5900 2 way and mine tells me sometimes that the hood is open, or the trunk.. Do i care? no, because if i go to open the hood or trunk, the alarm goes off. Its probably something wrong with the software or something you have no control over.

If your alarm doesnt go off when the hood is opened (when armed) then replace the hood pin, or mount it someplace else. It may not be seeing a solid ground. Like mentioned above, put a switch on the neutral safety wire and ground it off. Don't connect it with the hood pin wire because the neutral safety wire needs to see ground in order to start.. Meaning, your hood would have to be up in order to start. That cancels each purpose out.. :suicide: