PDA

View Full Version : 880 & 4 wheel drive

Brewmaster
05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi all
I just purchased a Premier 880 yesterday morning. It's going in a 97 Ford F350 4wd. Then yesterday afternoon I came on this site and read a thread about an 880 skipping with heavy bass. I don't listen to heavy bass so I'm not concerned about that but my truck in no way rides like a Cadillac. I'm wondering if I might be expecting any skipping from the rough (pot holed & train tracked) roads I've got around here. I'm replacing a 9 yr old Eclipse 5340 that never skipped under these conditions.
I know that I'll know in a couple days when the unit gets here I'm just wondering if any of you have a 880 installed in similar type vehicle.
Thank you for any information you may have.
Brewmaster

billabongcr
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
my alpine skips when im out wheelin..tho i usually dont have it on while i am.

but the once or twice i did have it on, it skipped.

Brewmaster
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't usually have a CD playing if I'm 4 wheeling. I'm quite sure I'd have a problem then. I hoping I don't have a problem with the crappy roads we have some of them make for quite a bump. And the concrete freeways can get this truck to bouncing a bit with this heavy suspension.

Brewmaster
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Bump
Any other experiences with this deck in a 4x4?

iamamp3pimp
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
get the ipod unit and an ipod...

youll be straight

bass_lover1
05-23-2007, 06:43 PM
get the ipod unit and an ipod...

youll be straight

I'll 2nd that. Digital formats don't skip :)

Brewmaster
05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
How does the ipod sound on the 880? I know it's not going to sound like a CD. But if I record at the highest bit rate does it sound very clean?
The thing is I'm buying this unit because I want to listen to a clean sounding stereo. And that includes CD's. I believe it's going to play just fine in my truck. On decent roads my truck rides pretty smooth. But unfortunately we've got a lot of rough roads to contend with around here. But as I said my bottom of the line Eclipse did fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

bass_lover1
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
How does the ipod sound on the 880? I know it's not going to sound like a CD. But if I record at the highest bit rate does it sound very clean?
The thing is I'm buying this unit because I want to listen to a clean sounding stereo. And that includes CD's. I believe it's going to play just fine in my truck. On decent roads my truck rides pretty smooth. But unfortunately we've got a lot of rough roads to contend with around here. But as I said my bottom of the line Eclipse did fine so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I rip all my CDs at 192kbits and honestly if there is a difference between the two I can't tell at all. I always use 2 songs to tune my stereo with, before the 880PRS I had a Nak CD-400 and used the album, when I got the 880 I used the same songs on my iPod and to me there wasn't an audible difference.

kaneo13
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM

I butn all my music onto my iPod using the apple lossless encoder which is as close to CD quality as you an get. It does take up a lot of space on the iPod (I have 1400 songs right now taking up 33GB) but it is worth it for the SQ.

Brewmaster
05-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Unit came in Tuesday. I installed it and no skip at all. I drove it on a couple rough roads and down the freeway (the concrete section where its quite bumpy) and no problems at all.:cool:

regal8r
05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
and beign that it is a new pioneer, it will be even more prone to skipping.

x3124 at ipod

Brewmaster
05-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed....