PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood X889 Problems

95F150
05-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Ok guys,
I got the Kenwood Excelon a couple of years ago, it was a big step for me, as I have owned nothing but Pioneer decks up until then.

Well, this month, it decides to die on me. The unit will not power on, but will still open up to let cd's out. So I take her out and unplug the harness in the back of the cd player, and plug it back up. She works again, but I figure the cheap twist ties I used were the culprit, why I didn't solder the connections I don't know, I must have been in a hurry that christmas. So I yank it out again, and solder all of the connections. Plug her in and everything is great.

Later on that week, it does the same thing. I yank it out, unplug the harness again, but this time it does nothing. I couldn't get it to work, but it still ejects cd's. I ended up going to Circuit City and buying the $59 Phase Linear (Because it was the cheapest HU that I could find with rear aux for my Sirius) to hold me over for the time being. I kind of wanted it to happen to this headunit so I would know it wasn't the Kenwood, but this one is doing great, just not sounding great!

Have any of you had this issue? It was a great deck, and I don't want to let it go. If I can't fix it, I will be forced to get another deck, and I will probably stay away from Kenwood because of it. Is there a reset button? It would probably be behind the panel that I can't get to now because there isn't any power to it.

And warranty is out of the question, it was bought 2 plus years ago, and I am sure it wasn't from an authorized dealer.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

95F150
05-23-2007, 07:18 AM
What can I hook the CD Player up to to test it without putting it back into the truck?

95F150
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Bump

95F150
05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Bump

Macklessdaddy
05-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Ok guys,
I got the Kenwood Excelon a couple of years ago, it was a big step for me, as I have owned nothing but Pioneer decks up until then.

Well, this month, it decides to die on me. The unit will not power on, but will still open up to let cd's out. So I take her out and unplug the harness in the back of the cd player, and plug it back up. She works again, but I figure the cheap twist ties I used were the culprit, why I didn't solder the connections I don't know, I must have been in a hurry that christmas. So I yank it out again, and solder all of the connections. Plug her in and everything is great.

Later on that week, it does the same thing. I yank it out, unplug the harness again, but this time it does nothing. I couldn't get it to work, but it still ejects cd's. I ended up going to Circuit City and buying the $59 Phase Linear (Because it was the cheapest HU that I could find with rear aux for my Sirius) to hold me over for the time being. I kind of wanted it to happen to this headunit so I would know it wasn't the Kenwood, but this one is doing great, just not sounding great!

Have any of you had this issue? It was a great deck, and I don't want to let it go. If I can't fix it, I will be forced to get another deck, and I will probably stay away from Kenwood because of it. Is there a reset button? It would probably be behind the panel that I can't get to now because there isn't any power to it.

And warranty is out of the question, it was bought 2 plus years ago, and I am sure it wasn't from an authorized dealer.

Thanks for any and all help guys!

the reset is on the faceplate(i use a inkpen)i don't see how you can miss it.