PDA

View Full Version : What are those sites that talk about bose?

btnhfan
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM
And how crappy they actually are. I have a friend who wants to get a bose system because he thinks they are the latest and greatest. And according to a friend he has co-oping their are the best in the world.

joetama
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
First, stop being friends with him, because he co-ops there... He is one of them.

Then, sneak into his house and put a pillow over his face while he sleeps... ;)

I'll look I have the links on my other computer.

btnhfan
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
No his friend co-ops there.

I found some.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

And tried to explain the construction, rediculous prices, old technologies, etc...

His response "You don't know anything about sounding good."

He who argues with a fool is more of a fool, or something like that. Im done with this argument.

bryce-man
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
when my friends want "stuff" in their car.. i dont even try to explian it.. cause its a waste
even my friend that hepled(HAHA) me build my last box cant understand anything
.. all he knows is dont mess with the gains after i set them..
and thats only cause he did one time and blew one of his subs hahah

docutech
05-21-2007, 03:55 PM
wow :eek:

That is some crazy stuff!
My neighbor swears by his bose lifstyles "system". Occasionaly he will put a strain on that "bass" module to make sure I hear it. It takes all I have to disable the volume limiter on my receiver and let him hear what a real sub sounds like...lol

I also remember someone posting some pics of the internals of one of the bose systems. I remember it had a toilet paper roll inside of it as part of the construction.

Unbelievable!

dru
05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
heres some more

http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html#more

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/stereo/bosefaq.htm

joetama
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
It goes to show the power of the brain vs how stuff really sounds...

1loudsuv
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
anyone think bose sounds good come to my house and demo my setup :) your more then welcomed.

Grinder1989
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
This reminds me....I used to work in a body shop. We'd get in wrecked Yukon Denali's and other expensive cars. Well one day I took out a Bose 6.5" speaker and ripped the cover off. (at this point in time I knew absolutely nothing about car audio other than good brands.) It was a 2 way, with these horribly thin paper cones. Even the tweeter was a cone. It was stiff and felt old. But this speaker was out of a 2006 Denali. That's when I really questioned their quality.

joetama
05-21-2007, 05:41 PM
anyone think bose sounds good come to my house and demo my setup :) your more then welcomed.

Anyone who demos your system and thinks it sounds good should come and demo mine.... ;)

Max_Power
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Anyone who demos your system and thinks it sounds good should come and demo mine.... ;)

I agree that bose sux. Whats the little jingle? "No highs no lows must be BOSE"

haha.

The reason I quoted you B&W is I have the most recent car audio mag here, and I saaw that Jaguar is offering a B&W sound system option not unlike the ones in your sig. Other that the price of a Jag, and the option package it seems cool. Thought you might like to know if you already didn't. :)

ballstothewall
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM

I will get there one of these days...

But I can't wait to play with my Maggies when they get here.. :)

1loudsuv
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM

heheh you dont know what im up to :) (changing speakers next year for sure)

plus your room has no type of room treatment which makes a huge difference and have you rta'd it at all?

i have room treatment in about 25% of the room

btw throw your speakers on my setup and holy smokes :eek:

im just gonna hold off for that for two reasons 1. broke right now 2.they might come out with something new by this time next year.

i kind of regret getting the denon 2807 cause theirs new receivers coming out in the next 2 months from denon that do all the high res decoding.

joetama
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I agree that bose sux. Whats the little jingle? "No highs no lows must be BOSE"

haha.

The reason I quoted you B&W is I have the most recent car audio mag here, and I saaw that Jaguar is offering a B&W sound system option not unlike the ones in your sig. Other that the price of a Jag, and the option package it seems cool. Thought you might like to know if you already didn't. :)

Yea I did know that... I think they still have it on their website. It makes me want to buy a jag... :laugh:

I will get there one of these days...

But I can't wait to play with my Maggies when they get here.. :)

Maggies are AWESOME.... Very good loudspeaker...

heheh you dont know what im up to :) (changing speakers next year for sure)

plus your room has no type of room treatment which makes a huge difference and have you rta'd it at all?

i have room treatment in about 25% of the room

btw throw your speakers on my setup and holy smokes :eek:

im just gonna hold off for that for two reasons 1. broke right now 2.they might come out with something new by this time next year.

i kind of regret getting the denon 2807 cause theirs new receivers coming out in the next 2 months from denon that do all the high res decoding.

Well.... You are still and will always be a n00bx to me... :fyi:

Fast1one
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
A real man builds his own speakers, :fyi:

1loudsuv
05-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Yea I did know that... I think they still have it on their website. It makes me want to buy a jag... :laugh:

Maggies are AWESOME.... Very good loudspeaker...

Well.... You are still and will always be a n00bx to me... :fyi:

typical teen thinks he knows it all :laugh: oh wait your 21 i remember reading that you where 19 blah

btw dont hate cause my equipment is better then yours and way cleaner looking :moon: get a bigger tv and a real sub and some real amps and then maybe you can hang :P btw i do like your towers but im looking into the 804's since i cant clearly afford the 800ds...

ballstothewall
05-21-2007, 08:59 PM
What you know about real amps boy, you ain't got **** on my amps.... ;)

Oh and B&W, I've got a pair of Magnepan MG2B's on their way to me, plan on powering them with my Powerlight 1.0HV...

joetama
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
typical teen thinks he knows it all :laugh: oh wait your 21 i remember reading that you where 19 blah

btw dont hate cause my equipment is better then yours and way cleaner looking :moon: get a bigger tv and a real sub and some real amps and then maybe you can hang :P btw i do like your towers but im looking into the 804's since i cant clearly afford the 800ds...

Meh... Krell *****, and my Pioneer is WAY better than your Slony. ;)

Plus I have been in the audio world since I was a really little kid... SO, I have a good 10 years of solid experience, so you can't call me a n--bxcube...

My dad has some 804S. Bastard bought them from under me. Oh well. I am still in college and this is my system for now. I have plans for later.

What you know about real amps boy, you ain't got **** on my amps.... ;)

Oh and B&W, I've got a pair of Magnepan MG2B's on their way to me, plan on powering them with my Powerlight 1.0HV...

Magnepans just sound amazing. They lack in a few areas but in airness and general clarity they rule.

BTW, QSC is real man amps... I'll have to take some pictures next time I go home. ;)

Also, I plan on building some speakers for fun this summer. They are in the works now but the G7S Audio 700 Series will live... ;)

desertheat
05-21-2007, 10:48 PM
bose = high end hyped up, marketed to the moon alarm clock speakers :) I do not know everything about speakers or audio but I know a lot more than most. And while bose works fine for a bookshelf dorm system to impress the ladies because they think you have nice speakers, comparing them to true hi-fi speakers, even DIY hi-fi speakers they simply **** rabbit nuggets.

I think to date my fav home speakers I have had a chance to audition are sonus faber "Cremona Auditor's" WOW. Fell in love and have to say that is the most perfect 2way I have ever heard so I am building the next closest thing to them that I can actually afford which are Zaph ZD5's which use the same driver compliment and Zaphs brain crossover wise.

1loudsuv
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Meh... Krell *****, and my Pioneer is WAY better than your Slony. ;)

Plus I have been in the audio world since I was a really little kid... SO, I have a good 10 years of solid experience, so you can't call me a n--bxcube...

My dad has some 804S. Bastard bought them from under me. Oh well. I am still in college and this is my system for now. I have plans for later.

so how do those 804s compare to your 703s? what about your center channel? i have only heard the 703 but nothing else not even the center that you have.

arent the 804 like almost twice as much? you think their worth that?

ballstothewall
05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Magnepans just sound amazing. They lack in a few areas but in airness and general clarity they rule.

BTW, QSC is real man amps... I'll have to take some pictures next time I go home. ;)

I'd love to see some of the pics of the equipment that ya'll have at home.

Mmmm, making me feel better about my purchase, completely redone by Magnepan in '98 and for under 300 bucks to my doorstep. I can't wait to hear them, should be here by the end of the week.

joetama
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
so how do those 804s compare to your 703s? what about your center channel? i have only heard the 703 but nothing else not even the center that you have.

arent the 804 like almost twice as much? you think their worth that?

They vary on how much they are. B&W regulates the prices so you go to dealers on maria and not price, but you can still find deals on them. However, my honest opinion is that the 703 and the 804 are VERY much alike. The biggest difference is that the 804 has a much wider dispersion pattern which makes it like bigger rooms (60 vs 40 degrees). I also find the 804S a bit warmer than my 703s. This is not a bad thing by any note, I just like how, what some people call overly bright, revealing the high end is on the 703s. My dad is also running a Classe Pre-Amp which makes a HUGE difference in the sound. To be honest, if you plan on upgrading to B&W you should have got a Naim, Ayre, or Classe amp/pre. You might be better off looking into some other speaker brands since you have a much different electronics setup than I would run on B&W speakers (speakers can be picky).

As to the center channel... It is not bad, I am a stereo man at heart (as is my father). Movies are fun, but my true passion is music and music is what my system is set up for. The honest reason why I got a new TV was because my CRT was too loud when I was watching TV and listening to music... :laugh:

I'd love to see some of the pics of the equipment that ya'll have at home.

Mmmm, making me feel better about my purchase, completely redone by Magnepan in '98 and for under 300 bucks to my doorstep. I can't wait to hear them, should be here by the end of the week.

Awesome man! Congrats and I hope you enjoy them!!!

btnhfan
05-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay so I got him off bose.

He needs a left, center, right. Budget of 500.

Lets hear some suggestions.

btnhfan
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
And they have to be towers.

joetama
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
So he went from Bose to towers?

btnhfan
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Yes.

Whats the problem with towers?

Theres this infinity 3 way tower setup on craigslist that I think hes going to get. 300 for pair IIRC. Usually go for around 550.

joetama
05-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Towers are a big step up from a little bose speaker...

btnhfan
05-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Oh lol.

He listened to reason.

joetama
05-23-2007, 08:47 AM
That's good....