PDA

View Full Version : how to incorporate ipod into eclipse cd5000

IgnoreMe
05-20-2007, 03:04 AM
just wondering whats the best way to do it. i have 4 sets of rca's. front, rear, subwoofer, and an auxilary input as well. i was thinking of just using one of the standard jack that goes into the ipod then just plugs in like a normal rca into the aux jacks. i was also thinking of buying one of the ipod radio transmitting things that sits in the cigarette lighter holding your ipod and transmitts on a radio channel so the cd player picks it up over the radio function.

my main concern is SOUND QUALITY. i want the music coming out from my speakers to sound just like the music on the ipod. by that i mean, take the radio for example. when you go from cd to radio (not hd radio, just regular radio) you notice a loss in clarity, a loss in output in higher fequencies, and a loss in bass frequencies. what would sound good (quality and output wise) at volume 40/80 on a homemade mp3 cd, now requires you to turn the volume up to 60/80 to get the same level of output...all while not sounding anywhere near as good as a cd. so, like i said, what would be my best option to basically make the ipod act like a mp3 cd? would the auxilary jack give me that quality? like the title says, i own the cd5k.

thanks guys

bigbang
05-20-2007, 04:18 AM
If it were me, I would never use an FM transmitter for anything, EVER. You could use a 1/8 headphone jack to dual RCA wire and plug it into the aux input on your deck and the headphone jack of the ipod, but there are problems with that. 1st, you will be playing a juggling game of setting the right volume on your ipod. Too loud, and you may send distortion into the aux jack of your head unit. Also this is an analog signal coming out directly from the small amplifier in the ipod. The best bet is always using the plug connector off the bottom of the ipod. This is not dependant off the volume control of the ipod. Anyway, I would find the kind of ipod adapter kit which charges your ipod and has iether a headphone plug or RCA's comming out of it. I would remove the cigarette lighter adapter and power it off the electric conections behind your radio. I would take the audio signal wires coming off the ipod adapter kit and use aprropriate adapters if needed (1/8 to RCA) to conect it to the aux input on the back of the deck. I would find a way to hide your new ipod adapter kit somewhere in your dash or center counsel and let the plug end come out to a conveniant spot within close reach to the ipod. Now to listen to your ipod, just plug in the pin connector to the bottom of the ipod, turn on the aux input on the head unit and enjoy music while it charges. Otherwise get a new radio which controls the ipod from the head unit itself (allowing you to hide the ipod, say in your glove box) or buy a really expensive ipod interface kit such as the Harmon Kardon drive and play which retails for up to $400 and won't sound any better than this method but has an extra pretty screen to mount on your dash and a joystick type deal for control. Hope this helps.

IgnoreMe
05-20-2007, 05:02 AM
If it were me, I would never use an FM transmitter for anything, EVER. You could use a 1/8 headphone jack to dual RCA wire and plug it into the aux input on your deck and the headphone jack of the ipod, but there are problems with that. 1st, you will be playing a juggling game of setting the right volume on your ipod. Too loud, and you may send distortion into the aux jack of your head unit. Also this is an analog signal coming out directly from the small amplifier in the ipod. The best bet is always using the plug connector off the bottom of the ipod. This is not dependant off the volume control of the ipod. Anyway, I would find the kind of ipod adapter kit which charges your ipod and has iether a headphone plug or RCA's comming out of it. I would remove the cigarette lighter adapter and power it off the electric conections behind your radio. I would take the audio signal wires coming off the ipod adapter kit and use aprropriate adapters if needed (1/8 to RCA) to conect it to the aux input on the back of the deck. I would find a way to hide your new ipod adapter kit somewhere in your dash or center counsel and let the plug end come out to a conveniant spot within close reach to the ipod. Now to listen to your ipod, just plug in the pin connector to the bottom of the ipod, turn on the aux input on the head unit and enjoy music while it charges. Otherwise get a new radio which controls the ipod from the head unit itself (allowing you to hide the ipod, say in your glove box) or buy a really expensive ipod interface kit such as the Harmon Kardon drive and play which retails for up to $400 and won't sound any better than this method but has an extra pretty screen to mount on your dash and a joystick type deal for control. Hope this helps.

i had a somewhat difficult time understanding all of this :crap:

TribeX85
05-20-2007, 05:07 AM
use the eclipse ipod adapter, thats what i use and i dont have any issues with sound quality loss.

xtremebassjunky
05-20-2007, 05:35 AM
use ipod to rca adapter's?

phyphoestilic
05-20-2007, 05:37 AM
use the eclipse ipod adapter, thats what i use and i dont have any issues with sound quality loss.

x2. The sound is usually lower tho w/ the ipod than say just playing a regular CD for some reason.

CRAZYCORNUTS18
05-20-2007, 05:38 AM
x3 i have an ipod adapter for my clarion and it works fine with no loss

TribeX85
05-20-2007, 05:40 AM
here mang, ebay has them for $45 bucks, but if you look around maybe u can get a used one for cheap, i got mine for 30 bucks shipped.

TribeX85
05-20-2007, 05:40 AM
woops forgot the link, im sleepy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-IPC-106-IPOD-ADAPTER-FOR-ECLIPSE-RADIOS_W0QQitemZ230131742640QQihZ013QQcategoryZ602 08QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem