PDA

View Full Version : Alpine optical cables

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 12:48 AM
i am doing to run digital but where do i get the optical cables from are they just regular optical cable i can pick up at best buy?

Igno
05-20-2007, 12:52 AM
only if its monster:blackeye:

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 12:58 AM
i notice monster mAkes differnt models is there really a difference btw a 100 optical and a 50 dollar but they are same but just different models of monster .

Scoobydoo
05-20-2007, 01:01 AM
some use glass, some use plastic, the glass cables are more expensive

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:22 AM
but will i notice a big difference btw the glass cables and plastic? also i saw on there site they have like home audio fiber optic and car audio fiber optic is there really a difference? the reason i ask all of this is so i can buy some off ebay or online some where cheaper than paying 100 bucks or so much at best buy.

Scoobydoo
05-20-2007, 01:26 AM
optical cable is pretty fragile, the car audio stuff is probably built better to withstand a car install

just buy the premium optical cable from monoprice.com for $10, it will work just as good as the $100 stuff as long as your careful with it

funkyab
05-20-2007, 01:32 AM
i started using optical cable about 4 years ago on my home hi system (MY ****ING BABY THAT IS PACKED AWAY!!)))

in a home install, once all my lines were static.. everything was fine. And at the time,,, i used very thin cable. (glass but "new") BUT you have to remember,,,, when dealing with optice (light) speed of light is not regulated by resistance, quality of build etc....

It is regulated by light speed!!! If you are having problems with your optical solution,,, it is because your "(((flashlight is not reachin the end of the tunnel!!!!)

i have even experimented with my cables. if your friend crimps your optic cable,,, everything ends. As soon as he opens it back up,,, the sound comes back!!!!

to answer your question,,, when it comes to optics,, it is either ON or OFF..

cables in this medium make little difference unless you have an application where there is a possibility of wires crimping themselves in half.

you willl know then
!!!

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:37 AM
how fragile is fragile like way fragile than rcas?

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:41 AM
i have no idea what your talking about i am new to optical cables and i just decided i want to upgrade to it since i am about to buy a iva-d105 and 701 with it.
so plz explain in newb terms what your talking about.

i started using optical cable about 4 years ago on my home hi system (MY ****ING BABY THAT IS PACKED AWAY!!)))

in a home install, once all my lines were static.. everything was fine. And at the time,,, i used very thin cable. (glass but "new") BUT you have to remember,,,, when dealing with optice (light) speed of light is not regulated by resistance, quality of build etc....

It is regulated by light speed!!! If you are having problems with your optical solution,,, it is because your "(((flashlight is not reachin the end of the tunnel!!!!)

i have even experimented with my cables. if your friend crimps your optic cable,,, everything ends. As soon as he opens it back up,,, the sound comes back!!!!

to answer your question,,, when it comes to optics,, it is either ON or OFF..

cables in this medium make little difference unless you have an application where there is a possibility of wires crimping themselves in half.

you willl know then
!!!

Scoobydoo
05-20-2007, 01:43 AM
just dont bend them too sharp or step on them. if the plastic inside that reflects the light through the cable breaks or cracks it will either kill the cable or cause the signal to skip and get all goofy doofy

if you have a choice go with coax digital, but if not just be careful with the optical cable and you will be fine

dumple
05-20-2007, 01:45 AM
im assumeing u mean optical out on a deck to an amp but i didnt know they made amps that had optical in im useing one of those 100 dolllar ones on my xbox and a 10 dolllar one on my dvd player i cant notice a difference in the same cd on one another so i say what ever u want go for it

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:45 AM
thx for the word up i never knew this **** but nice info to know ill look into the coax but u know the cable will be under the carpet and ****. so ppl might step on them might not so ill look into coax.

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:48 AM
well im not using the optical cable to the amp this is what i am doing.
alpine iva-d105 - optical - Alpine PXA-H701- optical - Zapco dsp6 - syblink - zapco amps. does this make sense how i am doing this now?

im assumeing u mean optical out on a deck to an amp but i didnt know they made amps that had optical in im useing one of those 100 dolllar ones on my xbox and a 10 dolllar one on my dvd player i cant notice a difference in the same cd on one another so i say what ever u want go for it

bikinpunk
05-20-2007, 01:49 AM
parts express has some Dayton optical cables that will work just fine....so I've been told.

I had to get a fairly long cable, and I couldn't wait, so I was forced into buying Monster from Best Buy. Luckily a friend works there and bought it for me. What would have cost me $130 wound up costing me $43. Can you believe that?! Nearly $90 markup on a cable. No way would I pay retail for it, but $43 for a quality made 16ft optical cable is a good deal.

Anyway, parts express, dayton optical cable. Link (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3&Cat_ID=56&ObjectGroup_ID=151&sm=1&so=2)

bikinpunk
05-20-2007, 01:49 AM

No, he's using the alpine processor. It has optical in.

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 01:57 AM
thx ill be using this site now never knew hdmi is so cheap **** bestbuy makingme pay 100 bucks for a hdmi-dvi conversion to bad i bought it a while back oh well 100 bucks what a waste.

Igno
05-20-2007, 02:00 AM
dude you don't need monster I was joking,

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10237&style=

lots of cables here price is good, Binkinpunk is right about parts express

trunks9_us
05-20-2007, 02:02 AM
whats the difference btw optical toslink and digital coax.? also notice there regual fiber optic cable which is even more then tos link optical cable whats all these differences?

bikinpunk
05-20-2007, 02:25 AM
whats the difference btw optical toslink and digital coax.? also notice there regual fiber optic cable which is even more then tos link optical cable whats all these differences?

Never really been asked. Google'd and found this:

When correctly connected, Coax and Optical should be exactly the same. Bandwidth isn't and issue, error correction (when connected correctly) isn't and issue. Distance, say over 50 feet might lean toward optical but who does that? Optical cables can be miles long compared to copper's hundreds of feet for the same amount of signal loss. Optical cable can be fragile and cannot be taken around corners too tightly or pinched. For all intents and purposes though, it doesn't make a difference which one you use.

Now, having said that, there are a couple of situation where one MIGHT be better than the other. They both fall under "defective equipment" though.

1. The CD data, though optical, is converted to a electrical signal. To create an optical signal, this elctrical signal - essentially the coax signal, has to be convered to optical by a laser-diode. You could theorize that am optical signal could not be superior to a coax signal because it is derived from the coax signal. I would not worry about it though.

2. Optical connections do not carry grounds. In a pooly designed system an optical connection COULD produce less hum because there are fewer ground paths. The music to the decoder would not be any better but a crappy amp could add hum to an otherwise pristine music signal just before it got to the speakers. This hum would be faily obvious though.

Again, if you have good equipment, use either one.

Bolded is the most important portion. The chances of you having "noise" due to bad grounds is nearly cut out with an optical cable.

Scoobydoo
05-20-2007, 02:33 AM
optical uses toslink connections and coax uses rca

optical is light, coax is electrical

light is faster, electricity is slower

doesnt matter what you use it is still better than analog

adam71
05-20-2007, 02:31 PM
This thread has turned into an optical vs digital thread. I thought the original poster was asking if he could buy a regular opitcal cable from any store? My question to the thread starter is if you're running Alpine equipment then wouldn't you have to buy the cable or cables from Alpine or are the connections on your Alpine equipment S/PDIF?? I know the optical connections on my P9 combo are NOT something you could buy at a electronics store. They're Pioneer specific.

adam71
05-20-2007, 02:35 PM
optical uses toslink connections and coax uses rca

Not always.

optical is light, coax is electrical

correct

light is faster, electricity is slower

Slower than light yes, but by no means is it slow. Not enough to make much of an audible difference.

doesnt matter what you use it is still better than analog

That isn't necessarily true. In fact, there are people that swear by analog and would fight you tooth and nail on this subject.

ngsm13
05-20-2007, 02:39 PM
www.knukonceptz.com

Grab your optical cable from them.

:fyi:

nG

whitemax
05-20-2007, 03:08 PM
On my older Alpine system I used some Monster fiberoptic cables that I picked up at Circuit City. I used these cables for both the HU to processor connection, as well as the CD changer to processor connection. On my particular HU, the digital conneciton was going in from the side, so I had to take off the outer casing to the cable (just a small plasctic tube thing). Without the covering in looked like the Alpine cable.

Igno
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM
This thread has turned into an optical vs digital thread. I thought the original poster was asking if he could buy a regular opitcal cable from any store? My question to the thread starter is if you're running Alpine equipment then wouldn't you have to buy the cable or cables from Alpine or are the connections on your Alpine equipment S/PDIF?? I know the optical connections on my P9 combo are NOT something you could buy at a electronics store. They're Pioneer specific.

they are both digital, 1 and 0

ngsm13
05-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Indeed, digital coax is the electrical equivalent of optical.

It's the same signal representation, except one uses electricity (high/low voltage) and the other uses light (presence/absence).

nG

adam71
05-20-2007, 07:14 PM
they are both digital, 1 and 0

What are you talking about.?? I know digital information is binary but I was asking if Alpine used standard connections or Alpine specific. Now I know they use standard. I wish Pioneer used the same standard. Instead you have to use the stupid Pioneer connections. Oh well, as long as I never need to make a replacement of cables it should be fine.

SQChevy
05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
If you don't mind me asking why are you using the Alpine PXA-H701 and the Zapco DSP6?

trunks9_us
05-22-2007, 02:05 AM
well i am not now but i didnt know if the alpine 701 had more options than the dsp 6 but robert said just use the dsp 6 so i might just the alpine iva-d105

If you don't mind me asking why are you using the Alpine PXA-H701 and the Zapco DSP6?

SQChevy
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Well the Alpine PXA-H701 will give you 31 band digital EQ for 2 Fronts, 1 Rear, and 1 Sub input. It gives you the ability to save 6 settings and works well with other Alpine units. I would suggest that over the DSP6, but that is just my opinion.