PDA

View Full Version : help with tuning my pioneer860

gsr22
05-18-2007, 06:25 PM
hey i need some help tuning my 860. My system is in my sig and i feel its not perfrorming as it should. I am really confused with all the different features of the 860 such as bbe hpf lpf slope and all the eq setting.

It would be much apprecitated for all your help.

chucku
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Shut of bbe and every other thing on the HU, set the eq to flat. Now set the volume 3/4or so, turn up your gains on your amps till it starts to distort, turn them down alittle. You can now use the eq sparingly to adjust some freq, this is personal taste so no one can really tell you what you like. I try to not boost any freq, only cut some of them. Also make shure your wiring is in phase. Thats all I can help with. Good luck.

DejaWiz
05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Link is in my sig. Hope it helps.

gsr22
05-18-2007, 09:19 PM
thanks alot dejawiz that link really helps
few quick questions tho.
where the best place to buy a dmm and an oscilloscope ? how much do they run and which ones right for the job?
also wheres the best place to buy test tones cds.
thanks alot

gsr22
05-18-2007, 09:20 PM
also my tweets seem like there playing really high pitched do you know what could be casuing this

gsr22
05-18-2007, 09:24 PM
o and if im not biamping my comps is there a diffrence between whats in the write up

what does sqrt stand for

DejaWiz
05-18-2007, 11:41 PM
thanks alot dejawiz that link really helps
few quick questions tho.

1. where the best place to buy a dmm and an oscilloscope ? how much do they run and which ones right for the job?

2. also wheres the best place to buy test tones cds.

thanks alot

1. Well, O'Scopes are generally very expensive pieces of equipment, so unless you have between $500-5000 to spend, don't worry about getting one. A DMM can be purchased at just about any bigger auto parts store or a department store like Wal Mart.

2. Go to www.realmofexcursion (http://www.realmofexcursion) and download the .wav test tones there.

also my tweets seem like there playing really high pitched do you know what could be casuing this

A lot will factor in to this... how much power you are sending them, the crossover point, how they are attenuated in the passive xover (if applicable), and how much EQ from the HU you've applied to higher frequencies.

1. o and if im not biamping my comps is there a diffrence between whats in the write up

2. what does sqrt stand for

1. Nope, other than the fact you won't be able to fine tune how much power you send to the mids and tweets individually.

2. Square Root.

Glad it helps! If you have any more questions regarding it, just let me know.

gsr22
05-19-2007, 05:28 AM
cant thank you enough really appreciate it
great write up btw

dirthog
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM

I had the same problem with my 980 and when I turned the gain on HU down for the rear speakers it helped with the loud tweeters. I plan on taking the rears out all together after I did the TA-EQ with just the fronts.