PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type X, Type R, or ID Chameleons??

SSon22s
05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Well I think its time to add some power to the front stage, My coaxs dont get loud enough to keep up with my massive amounts of bass so I am thinking about throwing some components up front or just amping my Coaxs....I listen to mainly rap and hip hop so I want something that will get loud and dont really need anything with great SQ...I am planning on using a Sundown 100.2 for power what would you recommend? AND I am only sticking to THESE choices!!

Chevyaudio
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Definatly not the Type R.

azimuth
05-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Definatly not the Type R.

i have 'em. i'm not impressed either.

Flipx99
05-17-2007, 12:19 AM
I'd go with the IDs if you got the depth. I like the NX30

Abell255
05-17-2007, 01:21 AM
You don't need anything that has great sq? Why the hell choose type-x's? That is what they are ALL about.... First, i think you need to SEARCH, their are TONS of threads in regards to what comp's to go with with what kinds of music tastes. Don't just throw random components sets in a title and hit the "New Thread" button. Sounds like your taste is pretty disgusting IMO, but search for awhile and you'll come up with a set of comps that should fit your needs.

CaliforniabOY5
05-17-2007, 01:32 AM
with your SPL setup it would like Crystal Components is what you want and they arent that expensive.. ...

Crystal 6.5" SSCS 6 Component

you can get em at Realmofexcursion.com . . . . you dont want to pay for great SQ with your SPL setup. kthanxbi

SSon22s
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Im not saying that I dont want to pay for SQ or really want SQ, I guess I worded it wrong, The only reason I chose these sets fo speakers is that is because that is what we are a dealer for! I am just trying to figure out what would be the best to suit me, I was thinking the Rs since they get loud, are a little brighter, and I know they dont have a ton of midbass, I just havent been impressed with what Ive heard from the Type Xs, I just really want something that gets LOUD with the 100watts each to keep up with all of the bass I have!

Abell255
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Im not saying that I dont want to pay for SQ or really want SQ, I guess I worded it wrong, The only reason I chose these sets fo speakers is that is because that is what we are a dealer for! I am just trying to figure out what would be the best to suit me, I was thinking the Rs since they get loud, are a little brighter, and I know they dont have a ton of midbass, I just havent been impressed with what Ive heard from the Type Xs, I just really want something that gets LOUD with the 100watts each to keep up with all of the bass I have!

Yeah i see what you saying. You do know that EVERY install is completely different and a high-end component set may sound horrible in a bad install correct? The lack of midbass and your overall preferences could be missing just because the woofer isn't in a pod/deadened door and the tuning isn't set up to your likings. What i'm getting at is that you CAN make a decent component set sound good, and you can make a great component set sound horrible. Let us know what component sets you come up with after searching around a bit, because i will admit their are sets out their that do have better ratings in areas such as "midbass", etc.

Btw, of those three i'd take the Type-X's... Obviously because i have them and spent a good amount of time on installation and tuning and they rock the fuc k out in every aspect. I've also had the R's, and i think the X's would be a better choice for you. When i had the R's, they didn't want to take much more then ~80wrms and they would distort a bit at loud volumes too. Of course everything is install dependent, but the X's in my install do not distort all the way up to where i cringe at the clarity and SPL levels... just my $.02 -I've also heard great reviews on the ID comps, but search around and i bet you'll get a great in-depth review of them somewhere.

SSon22s
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Well I did some searching and some ppl say yes on the X and some say NO...I installed a set of Rs into my friends corvette and they sound good but I want to be able to get these things pretty **** loud, I like my music to scream, I have heard a set of the IDs installed and they seemed to take a good amount of power and get loud as well, I havent really heard the Xs tho...I am going to be installing them into the factory locations in the doors, here is a few pics of where they will be going:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/SixDubR/ctimp00fd01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/SixDubR/ctimp00fd03.jpg

azimuth
05-17-2007, 11:30 PM
the r's can't drop low enough for me. anything below 85 and they perform terrible. i hate to bring my subs up to 85, but have to accomodate the R's lack of midbass.

CaliforniabOY5
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
type r's sound LOUDER than a type X IIRC

xtremekustomz
05-18-2007, 12:12 AM
I've had the type R's, the tweeters sound like ***. The mid (6 1/2) is excellent for midbass. The Type X I love. Well....I had the old type x, the blue series. They had a natural sound to them. As for the ID, my friend has some of the 6 1/2 that he is using for midbass but I haven't heard a complete set. I'd probably go for the type x for sound, and the type r for overall loudness. If you really want loud you could look into the id hlcd :)

Ninteens
05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I love my type R's. They have GREAT midbass, the tweets were a little bright, but I set the x-over's to -3db and now everything is perfect.
I'm powering them with a fosgate 300.2. They get very loud ( loud enough to still be perfectly clear with the windows down @ 90mph in a Civic!)

Just add a lot of sound deadening to your door and you'll be perfectly happy with any of those three choices.

azimuth
05-18-2007, 12:30 AM
I love my type R's. They have GREAT midbass, the tweets were a little bright, but it sat the x-over's to -3db and now everything is perfect.
I'm powering them with a fosgate 300.2. They get very loud ( loud enough to still be perfectly clear with the windows down @ 90mph in a Civic!)

Just add a lot of sound deadening to your door and you'll be perfectly happy with any of those three choices.

what do you have them crossed over at?

Ninteens
05-18-2007, 12:30 AM
60hz

azimuth
05-18-2007, 12:33 AM
60hz

huh. when i drop mine to 65, they really under perform. they sound good, but at higher volumes, they bottom out. i don't have the deadener in yet though. i have a bulk pack of damplifier sitting here, but......laziness, FTL.

Ninteens
05-18-2007, 12:37 AM
huh. when i drop mine to 65, they really under perform. they sound good, but at higher volumes, they bottom out. i don't have the deadener in yet though. i have a bulk pack of damplifier sitting here, but......laziness, FTL.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the fosgate amp that I'm using might have a steep slope. Also my amp's x-over isn't labeled in increments, its goes from 50hz to 150hz. Its set about 1/8th trun above 50, which I'm guessing to be real close to 60hz.
At full volume they will excurt real far, but I haven't see them bottom out yet.

azimuth
05-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the fosgate amp that I'm using might have a steep slope.
At full volume they will excurt real far, but I haven't see them bottom out yet.

i have an xtant a4004 on mine. i had a set of polk components and i thought the R's would be an upgrade, but to be real honest, the polks sounded better in the same truck on the same amp.

Ninteens
05-18-2007, 12:42 AM
i have an xtant a4004 on mine. i had a set of polk components and i thought the R's would be an upgrade, but to be real honest, the polks sounded better in the same truck on the same amp.

Thats odd. But I've never heard any polks.

My Type R's were a direct change out from MB quart ref series. And I like the R's a lot better.

azimuth
05-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Thats odd. But I've never heard any polks.

My Type R's were a direct change out from MB quart ref series. And I like the R's a lot better.

i'll see what happens after deadening the doors. they'd probably be better in pods.

Abell255
05-18-2007, 05:57 AM
I don't know why you folks think the X's won't perform at the levels he is asking for... In my case, i too thought the R's tweeter sound like s hit, but they did get loud. If you want JUST loudness you could go with the R's for cheaper, but if you want to throw some sick SQ into the mix you should go with the X's. They can be had for around ~$200 shipped since new models are coming out in summer. Personally, having both sets i think the X's would suit you all around much better regardless of your likings. They are very versatile, and like i said doing a proper install, 99% says you will be quite satisfied.

Btw, i'm not biased just because i have the X's currently, i have had both sets of comps and completely understand their are 34296234698 billion other comp sets that would suit your needs too. It's just that you said you were a dealer, and brought this set up, so i'm just giving my $.02. Let us know what you are thinking currently, and we'll try to help steer you in the direction you prefer.

SSon22s
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Im just making sure that they will get loud enough for what I want...Personally I do like my stuff bright and I havent installed any of the Xs like I said before, but in our demo board they seemed to be pretty mellow and the tweeters def dont scream at you like the R...I have my S Coax crossed at 80hz now just because they break up real bad full range. I am probably going to be using a Sundown 100.2 for my comps, I think that might be a little too much power for the Rs...

Gary S
05-18-2007, 10:46 AM
A couple of things:

Crystal is out of business.

Image dynamics is discontinuing the Chameleon series and replacing it with the XS series.