PDA

View Full Version : Alpine CDA-9887 Listed in Crutchfield

frzninvt
05-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Like the title says, their website reflects "none in stock" though. Alpine does not even have it listed in their product lineup yet. "Summer Release" I suppose.

Sound's promising as compared to some of their other models as of late. They mention an outboard sound tool but do not elaborate on it much.

Alpine's website makes a mention of it from a January tech brief something about being able to use a PC and software to custom tune it to the acoustics of your vehicle made or designed by Audyssey the folks that Denon uses in their AV receiver's for room adjustments. I think it is more of an installer's/shop tool than an everyday user.

See summary here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yCiyY4xsqfr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&tab=essential_info&i=500CDA9887#Tab

I wonder what the quality will be like though, hmmmmmmm. We'll see.

Looks like I may have to keep waiting until they make a product comparable to my 7998, without paying the $$$ for the 7990/9990.

Igno
05-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Like the title says, their website reflects "none in stock" though. Alpine does not even have it listed in their product lineup yet. "Summer Release" I suppose.

Sound's promising as compared to some of their other models as of late. They mention an outboard sound tool but do not elaborate on it much.

Alpine's website makes a mention of it from a January tech brief something about being able to use a PC and software to custom tune it to the acoustics of your vehicle made or designed by Audyssey the folks that Denon uses in their AV receiver's for room adjustments. I think it is more of an installer's/shop tool than an everyday user.

I wonder what the quality will be like though, hmmmmmmm. We'll see.

Looks like I may have to keep waiting until they make a product comparable to my 7998, without paying the $$$ for the 7990/9990.

well I heard the same thing from an Alpine dealer, if its like Audessey than it should be somewhat end user friendly for those who read manuals

Babs
05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Very similar technology to their new oem integration processor PXE-H650 also coming out.. The 9887 needs the extra toolkit for the auto-calibration but I think (keyword: think) the mike and setup capability may be included with the 650.

Big difference being adding more processing onto the end of the already atrocious OEM processing, verses a fresh head unit with it's own burr-browns and internal processing. Would take a lot to convince me the 9887 wouldn't sound light-years better/cleaner.

Flipx99
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
So Alpine finally going back to internal active HUs or would you still need external.

Can it control the pdx amps like the older series?

Russkels55
05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
no release date? i wanna know so i dont buy a new hu and than have this one comes out a month later.

Russ

dalucifer
05-16-2007, 02:20 PM
the 9887 should be available this summer. That HU (iirc) is a fully active HU. Has alot of nice features, but many pointless features as well. I have 2 7998's and would buy those over new alpine any day.

Rich B
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
What happened to Alpine's color displays on their highend units?

That display looks like it belongs on a stripped down model they sell through Circuit City.

medik13
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Is there a way to integrate the ipod with the CDA 7998?

Babs
05-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Actually, to me, it looks a bit more high-end without the flashy screen.
Less is more...
I'd rather they put the cash under the hood instead of a cheezy shell.

Reason the big 3 carmakers spend more cash in their fugly bodystyle designs than in drivetrain development and assembly/reliability/performance improvement.

:laugh:

Flashy crap:
http://www.dualav.com/receivers/hires/xdma7715.jpg
http://images.panasonic.com/static//LargerPhoto/CQ-C8303U.jpg

Clean no-bling high-end:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBlobs/160/10/DRZ9255,0.jpg
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/34724DEX-P9_front_med.jpg

If you think about it.. You're buying what goes into your ears anyway, right?

Igno
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
well I think eclipse has some nice HU's out, I like the pioneer premier too

Fast1one
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
the 9887 should be available this summer. That HU (iirc) is a fully active HU. Has alot of nice features, but many pointless features as well. I have 2 7998's and would buy those over new alpine any day.I agree...

So sell me one :D

desertheat
05-17-2007, 08:07 PM
The word I hear is that it will control a h701.. but that is what I hear and not fact yet. Stock it is pretty much a clone to a 9835 with a better faceplate and updated firmware. If all holds true it will be the best sq deck they have made since the 9835. I am game :) time alignment, stellar built in crossover and 5 band parametric is a great start to a great deck. Add in a better eq with an add on unit and I am very happy.

Russkels55
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
i called crutchfield as well as alpine and neaither have a release date or even an idea when its comming out.

Babs
05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Just get on the email notification when they're in stock. Saves everyone time. When it hit's Crutchfields shelves, you'll get an email.

99StangGt
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I have been waiting for a couple of months. I am taking back my deck and waiting for the new one. Just going to put in a junk deck for now, so I have some sound.

CrazedCat
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Man this thing needs to come out already. I need a new HU asap.

Babs
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
It's killin' ya.. ain't it! :)

yeah.. me too. :/

CrazedCat
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Been checking every **** day for the past 3 weeks! :crap:

I like the features I've been reading about...got...to...hold...out...

Starting to get an itchy trigger finger on the CD7100

Babs
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't do it man! Breathe! Breathe! Get your finger off that mouse... don't add to cart!

Even if you have to stick a $50 sony in your dash for a few more weeks to hold you over. hehehehe

I'll probably have to wait for a few months before I can within-budget pull the trigger anyway on any gear. I just made high bidder on a crazy 12" SQ sub I can't even install yet.. But I guess it will light a fire under me at least to start planning on the car install.

Got to pull my OEM and do some harness surgery to get the aux cabling out so I can sell it first before I do a 9887.. Unless I find a silly deal on a 3sixty.2 maybe or ms-8 or H650 (if they'd ever hit the market).

grampi
06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Alpine may have realized it was a mistake to dump the sound quality related features (time correction, EQs, etc) in favor of making their units compatable with every form of media out there. However, I still doubt this unit will have as many features as the Premiers.

Babs
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm hoping all the brands will realize this. I don't think I'm the only one that couldn't care less about a cute color screen as well. I'm all about good circuit boards, dac's, processing, noise reduction and long-term rock-solid reliability/performance.

Prowler573
06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Looks to have a pretty good feature set for a suggested retail of $400 :fyi:

7-band GEQ switchable to a 5-band PEQ...
6-channel T/A...
Burr-Brown DAC...(although not an ODD setup which is odd to me...)

And for those that are decidedly not fans of motorized faceplates of any kind?

The 9887 doesn't have one ;)

grampi
06-27-2007, 01:45 PM
It almost seems like car audio is going the way of home audio, that is whereas all components are becoming throw-away items. They probably figure you're going to be looking to upgrade every 3-4 years anyway because of advances in technology, so why build them to last longer than that? I also think they are going the wrong way with features. They're doing away with features that allow for things that directly effect SQ in favor of adding those that support external bells and whistles. I'd rather have the SQ stuff.

desertheat
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
9835 is basically the same deck as the 9887, and the 9887 is taking forever to get here and the overseas people are price gouging them like auaudio so I bought another 9835 to hold me over until I can test out the 9887.

Asked alpine about a release date 4-5 times and they NEVER have an answer... just it is coming this summer, and I reply it is freakin 114 outside and I still do not see it for sale!! Sheesh. You need more summer than this to release it?

Prowler573
06-27-2007, 01:57 PM
It almost seems like car audio is going the way of home audio, that is whereas all components are becoming throw-away items. They probably figure you're going to be looking to upgrade every 3-4 years anyway because of advances in technology, so why build them to last longer than that? I also think they are going the wrong way with features. They're doing away with features that allow for things that directly effect SQ in favor of adding those that support external bells and whistles. I'd rather have the SQ stuff.

While you, me, and the majority of the forum regulars feel this way you have to take into consideration that folks like us make up a small minority of the buying public.

Think of all the purchases made through Best Buy, Circuit City, Car Toys, etc....
The average customer (I'm speaking in generalities here) in a setting like that would have absolutely zero use for good time alignment, a really outstanding EQ whether it be a graphic or a parametric setup, etc.

All they want is for it to play CDs (sometimes .mp3/.wma decoding is a plus, sometimes they just don't care) and for there to be a way to attach their iPods to it.

It's sensible business, to tell the truth, regardless of whether or not those of us who both appreciate and utilize a higher-end feature set suffer for it. :crap:

Babs
06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
And for those that are decidedly not fans of motorized faceplates of any kind?
The 9887 doesn't have one ;)

Cool.. One less thing to die on you.
Flip down, push up.. Works for me.

inapontiac
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
old alpine > new alpine

grampi
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
old alpine > new alpine

Can't argue with that.

ghart999
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
old alpine > new alpine

That's why I just bought a used 7998 instead of waiting for the 9887. Couldn't be happier with the SQ of this thing.

Fixxer
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
For the amount they charge for these things there is no reason the whole unit isn't customizeable. Full color changeable backlighting for controls, color OEL screen, good internals, and realistic HO preout voltages. It would be nice to have higherend models with options for no internal amps too.

I'm hoping all the brands will realize this. I don't think I'm the only one that couldn't care less about a cute color screen as well. I'm all about good circuit boards, dac's, processing, noise reduction and long-term rock-solid reliability/performance.

AVX Mike
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Alpine is taking orders from dealers on July 1st for the 9887 deck. It will control the Imprint processor that should come out very soon also. They are expected to ship the first half of August from what my alpine rep told us about a week ago. The Imprint is basically a F#1 status processor without a few of the features.

CrazedCat
06-27-2007, 11:39 PM
UGH. Thanks for that info. I can't wait that long. Hello 880prs...

I tinker with that for a while until it's confirmed the 9887 is worth the purchase.

Prowler573
06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
For the amount they charge for these things there is no reason the whole unit isn't customizeable. Full color changeable backlighting for controls, color OEL screen, good internals, and realistic HO preout voltages. It would be nice to have higherend models with options for no internal amps too.

It's been awhile since someone built a true "deadhead" but there are more than a few models from various manufacturers which offer defeatable internal amps.

Are none of the better Alpines included in the list which offer that?

Babs
06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
It's been awhile since someone built a true "deadhead" but there are more than a few models from various manufacturers which offer defeatable internal amps.

Are none of the better Alpines included in the list which offer that?

With the digital amps they're using now, they can cram them into about any head unit, plus the rest of the circuitry has shrunk in size, allowing more room though with more processing compared to years past... But yes, true "deadheads" or preamp only units are far and few betweeen.. just the drz9255 and the P9 come to mind.. I remember even the Excelon's had one deadhead "SQ" unit.. That's going back.. I had one.. actually two of the same model because the ribbon cable issue with their faceplates.. stunk.. Killed both units.. shameful! Sounded killer before they died though.

The 9887 has a "Power IC OFF" function to kill power to internal amps and better SQ.. page 26 of the 9887R (non-US) manual. I imagine or would hope it's a feature on a lot of their HU's but maybe not.

blue93corsica
06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
With the digital amps they're using now, they can cram them into about any head unit, plus the rest of the circuitry has shrunk in size, allowing more room though with more processing compared to years past... But yes, true "deadheads" or preamp only units are far and few betweeen.. just the drz9255 and the P9 come to mind.. I remember even the Excelon's had one deadhead "SQ" unit.. That's going back.. I had one.. actually two of the same model because the ribbon cable issue with their faceplates.. stunk.. Killed both units.. shameful! Sounded killer before they died though.

The 9887 has a "Power IC OFF" function to kill power to internal amps and better SQ.. page 26 of the 9887R (non-US) manual. I imagine or would hope it's a feature on a lot of their HU's but maybe not.

you can defeat the internal amp on all of alpines HU's even with their entry level cde-9870

Chevyaudio
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Defeat does NOT turn off the amp. Merely turns EQ/crossover functions off/flat.

POWER-IC turns the internal amp off.

Prowler573
06-28-2007, 12:11 PM
With the digital amps they're using now
Digital amps = no such thing ~ see the thread discussing this exact topic from yesterday...

they can cram them into about any head unit, plus the rest of the circuitry has shrunk in size, allowing more room though with more processing compared to years past... But yes, true "deadheads" or preamp only units are far and few betweeen.. just the drz9255 and the P9 come to mind.. I remember even the Excelon's had one deadhead "SQ" unit..
The last true 'deadhead' eXcelon model that I recall was the Z928 (or something akin to that?) and it didn't have the ill-fated D-Mask+ revolving faceplate that proved to be so problematic.

That's going back.. I had one.. actually two of the same model because the ribbon cable issue with their faceplates.. stunk.. Killed both units.. shameful! Sounded killer before they died though.
What model eXcelon are you talking about?

Several eXcelons feature that ability. Matter of fact they've featured in for quite some time - dating back to the KDC-X569 I had about 5 years ago now...

It's not surprising that Alpine would offer something similar.

Babs
06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Digital amps = no such thing ~ see the thread discussing this exact topic from yesterday...

The last true 'deadhead' eXcelon model that I recall was the Z928 (or something akin to that?) and it didn't have the ill-fated D-Mask+ revolving faceplate that proved to be so problematic.

What model eXcelon are you talking about?

Several eXcelons feature that ability. Matter of fact they've featured in for quite some time - dating back to the KDC-X569 I had about 5 years ago now...

It's not surprising that Alpine would offer something similar.

... Well either a non-standard mosfet style or some other.. class t or d or other. I won't presume to be an amp expert so ok on the digital amp correction. no contest.

Yeah these old excelons I had were each the same model and they had the d-mask issue. Man I wouldn't remember the model# if I tried.. might be able to identify the thing from a picture but kenwood's site doesn't go back that far.. I'm talking 96 or 97ish.. OLD as heck.. That one you listed was about the right "style" of model#. Way prior to seeing time alignment or internal crossovers, etc. Had a smaller faceplate than the usual and very squared off / rectangular... Had the "mystery" you-find it button on the faceplate that would activate it if you had it closed up.. Great idea.. terrible design. Really hurt Kenwood I take it.. people still remember the "d-mask" issue.. Both did the same thing.. no more faceplate function.

Prowler573
06-28-2007, 12:38 PM
The malady of the ribbon cable on almost all of the D-Mask+ equipped HUs getting damaged and consequently turning whatever HU that featured it into a paperweight before too much time of actual use went by was sadly all too commonly experienced by Kenwood owners. Unfortunately, IMO, that was the largest contributor to Kenwood's popularity falling off so sharply in the mid-90s.

Through better R&D and the release of better and better gear with each succeeding model year they are slowly but surely gaining that momentum back but it's been a long, hard road and they may never get back the market share they once enjoyed.

I have one of the non-motorized D-Mask units but it's a cassette deck (KRC-608). It's the very last cassette deck I ever bought before I got myself a CD player. Strangely the non-motorized version that I have has never given me the first moment's trouble and works flawlessly to this day! (I still have the unit and use it as a source deck on my test bench)

Babs
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah it really knocked them off the pedestal and opened up the mass-market to companies like Alpine which back in those days was a lot more "installer/shop/exclusive" for lack of better terms.

I'll guess Sony saw its demise in Car Audio righteously due to the crrrrrap they were pushing... Almost like the company really doesn't have any interest in car audio anymore.. I'm really not sure what Sony's real interest is other than owning the royalties and licensing for the silly flat discs with holes in the middle that we claw after on store shelves. :)

But I digress... Yes, I'm one of the bunch waiting on the 9887 to see if it's all that, but haven't sold-in just yet to just the 9887.. Also considering an OEM setup MS-8 or H650 maybe or a 3sixty.2 if I can find THE deal.. and if I can get over the thought of oem quality D/A conversion, then back to D, then back to A.. yuk.

desertheat
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
With the 9835 you can shut down the internal amp.

Also the alpine 7949 was a dead head as well.

I used to sell the old Kenwood flip face series. Man I remember them being the best performing decks for that time period... I never had any issues with mine knock on wood but did hear about the issues from my rep at the time. Was sad as they sure were nice units.

Babs
06-28-2007, 02:18 PM
That's also one of the many things I like about the drz9255, Naks, Mac, Denons, etc..
Why must they "flip" anyway.. There's plenty enough room to get all the stuff on the faceplate and have a slit for disc loading.. The whole "Flip-faces" thing to me is just plain and simple a show-boating gimmick. If it were really sure-enough cool.. every bling bling lexus and jag would be running flip-faces in OEM's.. hehehe Could you imagine.. As if they don't have enough moving parts to break. :)

InsaneKreationz
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
You could always get one on ebay... Seems other countrys have em.

Cost ya a little more but if you cant wait, I guess it dont matter.

Babs
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah they're loaded with Australian models... if you absolutely don't mind the cost, non-US radio frequencies, and risk of shipping and the wait.. It would probably arrive about the same time Crutchfield gets 'em. :)

BRZguy
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
i cant wait for this unit.

Chad T
06-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Ahhh....the memories of dying DMASK Kenwood head units. I've got a PS907 (deadhead from around 1997/1998) in the dash of my truck right now. I had it repaired back in 2000 and it has failed again. I'm trying to decide if I want to have it repaired (a guy on Ebay will fix it for around $50 plus shipping both ways) or if I want to get a new head unit.

BRZguy
07-03-2007, 01:56 AM
anyone order this unit yet? and can i go active with this headunit?

Babs
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
anyone order this unit yet? and can i go active with this headunit?

:eyebrow: Not available in the states yet.

Yes, you can go active with it within limits of 6 channels which includes two subs. Can either go active with 4 all around or two-way upfront with two subs.. which is the way I plan on going.

I just saw a way pushed out September date for the Imprint processor.. I'll bet this unit will get pushed out also. The 880 is starting to look more and more appealing.

BRZguy
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
**** alpine. i might just get a rf 360.2.

Babs
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm considering that option highly myself if I can find a silly deal on one.
Plus the OEM processors have no moving parts to break.
I wish the MS-8 or H650 would hit the market.

kingrukus
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
So expected release date is August? I am going to see if I can try to get one now. I work for the main distribution company in Canada. I currently own 2 7995's, a 7894 and an IVA-W205, and I am considering getting rid of all of them right now. I was actually hoping for a motorized face...I like that gimmick.

Monologuist
07-04-2007, 03:57 AM
So Alpine finally going back to internal active HUs or would you still need external.

Can it control the pdx amps like the older series?

Which Alpine receivers could "control" PDX amps? And in what way exactly did they "control" them?

btnhfan
07-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Man I checked my bby stuff and we have nothing on it. Just comes up as not found. Not even a release date for us.

kingrukus
07-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Which Alpine receivers could "control" PDX amps? And in what way exactly did they "control" them?

I would really like to know this as I may be getting PDX amps soon.

Babs
07-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Just checking the specs on PDX's.. I'm not seeing anything about any extra "control" other than any other typical amps. Though they're ICEpower (non-conventional non-class A/B), they take power/ground and inputs/outputs like any other conventional amp.. Not seeing any special AI-net style input or control being noted. Might check the manual on them but I'm not seeing anything.. I'd love to have a set though.. They're supposed to be phenomenal amps, maybe a little pricey but nice, and low draw off the alternator (class-D full range).

Kevlar
07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Anyone have any updates on this? More specific release date?

kingrukus
07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
It has hit canadian distribution. I am waiting on a PDX1000 to come in from backorder...as soon as it is in, I will have both. Ill post a review if no one else does before me.

bjayjr5679
07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Check Crutchfield it has a realease date of 8/9/07 i will be reserving mine today. :)

:eek:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pRlj8LO9W2O/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=500CDA9887

Babs
07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Might have to have a contest to see who gets the 1st one in the states. :)

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 03:51 AM
I was just searching for the 9887R on google and came across some specs for it.

http://www.alpine-europe.de/index.php?id=cda-9887r

If America's version shares some of those features with the R, I might have to pre-order this deck.

genxx
07-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Here is a link to the thread from yesterday I put up about the 9887.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247640

They basically just brought back the features from the 9835, 9855 series and added some of the imprint stuff.

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Here is a link to the thread from yesterday I put up about the 9887.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247640

They basically just brought back the features from the 9835, 9855 series and added some of the imprint stuff.

Wow, that ***** about the MultEQ.

desertheat
07-21-2007, 11:33 AM
The dac may be the only + feature of the deck over the 9835. And even with that, I HIGHLY doubt you will be able to hear a difference. Playing with the new decks vs the 2004 decks like the 9835... there is definitly a build quality difference in favor of the old school!

But like a lemming to a cliff, I will be trying out the 9887 to get an overall feel for the unit and see if it is worth the coin since it is alpines first "I am sorry for sucking so bad latley" deck they have built.

ngsm13
07-21-2007, 12:41 PM
INdeed.

nG

TheFiverMan
07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
i shouldve never sold my 2 7998s

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
The dac may be the only + feature of the deck over the 9835. And even with that, I HIGHLY doubt you will be able to hear a difference. Playing with the new decks vs the 2004 decks like the 9835... there is definitly a build quality difference in favor of the old school!

Yes, but personally, I've never been a one to buy used products. If this deck can replicate what they did with the 9835 and I can buy it with a warranty, it seems like a no-brainer over buying something used. I don't really know about the "build quality".

Rich B
07-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, that ***** about the MultEQ.

Reading about the limitations on user adjustments to the MultEQ (which *****), Im wondering if that limitation would apply when you use the matching processor (h650?)......?

genxx
07-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Reading about the limitations on user adjustments to the MultEQ (which *****), Im wondering if that limitation would apply when you use the matching processor (h650?)......?

I am hoping for more from the h650. If not it may not sell real good. Although it is there OEM integration piece from everything I have read about. Like the their version of the RF 3sixty. JBL MS-8 is coming out to which is there new processor and there is alot of info out on it already. The H650 basics are already posted on crutchfield.

AcidicDreams
07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I think I'll keep my 9855... it does EVERYTHING... though it might not hurt to have the external controller some day.. I do have another DIN spot to fill....

BTW: Desertheat... I worship Aura's... after trying CDT, active Dayton RS series, and hearing many other speakers I've gone running back to the MR62's... no matter how much I spent or how much time I invested into the install nothing sounded as good as the MR52's I ghetto rigged into my wife's BMW...

whitemax
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
that's too bad......I had thought about giving this HU a shot.

whitemax
07-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I just read part of the manual.....it seems as if you have bass and treble control options when the MultEQ is used.

Babs
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I am hoping for more from the h650. If not it may not sell real good. Although it is there OEM integration piece from everything I have read about. Like the their version of the RF 3sixty. JBL MS-8 is coming out to which is there new processor and there is alot of info out on it already. The H650 basics are already posted on crutchfield.

Yeah that H650 unit is an OEM (speaker-level inputs from factory/other head units). And it apparently will have all that's needed to run the MultEQ, incl. microphone, whereas it's a separate "tool" purchase that's not available yet for the 9887.

The MS-8 looks VERY promising, if they ever get it out.. Looks like the race is between those two processors. The MS-8 will be a bump up in pricing though as it has 8 channels, fully configurable x-overs, bla bla.. claiming superior auto-calibration processing (rumor is the mike is on "headphones" that you point in different directions on your head during calibration), and the channels can be powered internally with it's own amps (though they're small 20 watts per). So you can go internally amp'd or out to larger. For a one box solution for a modest OEM improvement, the MS-8 will be the bomb.

desertheat
07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I think I'll keep my 9855... it does EVERYTHING... though it might not hurt to have the external controller some day.. I do have another DIN spot to fill....

BTW: Desertheat... I worship Aura's... after trying CDT, active Dayton RS series, and hearing many other speakers I've gone running back to the MR62's... no matter how much I spent or how much time I invested into the install nothing sounded as good as the MR52's I ghetto rigged into my wife's BMW...

Word man :) I hear you on that. I am back to the same as well. I am working on a very custom designed set for automotive use useing scanspeak mids and vifa drivers that mimick the stellar off axis responce and overal balance of the auras but provide better midbass. Still working on the project but it is coming along well. Just worried when my mr62's finally wear out and die that I will be left with what is available mainstream and I am just not happy with the current offerings...

desertheat
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah that H650 unit is an OEM (speaker-level inputs from factory/other head units). And it apparently will have all that's needed to run the MultEQ, incl. microphone, whereas it's a separate "tool" purchase that's not available yet for the 9887.

The MS-8 looks VERY promising, if they ever get it out.. Looks like the race is between those two processors. The MS-8 will be a bump up in pricing though as it has 8 channels, fully configurable x-overs, bla bla.. claiming superior auto-calibration processing (rumor is the mike is on "headphones" that you point in different directions on your head during calibration), and the channels can be powered internally with it's own amps (though they're small 20 watts per). So you can go internally amp'd or out to larger. For a one box solution for a modest OEM improvement, the MS-8 will be the bomb.

Sounds fancy :) I will keep tuning by ear and rta!

kingrukus
07-30-2007, 01:22 AM
just got my 9887 mid last week...haven't had a chance to hook it up yet though. can't to get wait to get it up and running with my pdx1000
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/kingrukus/9887.jpg

whitemax
07-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Will check back for your thoughts on it.

Babs
07-30-2007, 11:15 AM
just got my 9887 mid last week...haven't had a chance to hook it up yet though. can't to get wait to get it up and running with my pdx1000
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/kingrukus/9887.jpg

Hey! Where'd you get that thing? Crutch still isn't showing them in stock.

billybrown66
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey! Where'd you get that thing? Crutch still isn't showing them in stock.

He lives in Toronto, I've seen a few Canadians that already have the 9887.

billybrown66
08-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey King, get that sucker installed yet? I'm anxious to hear some feedback on what it's like.

Kezzainc
08-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Its a good headunit guys. I've had it for a over a week after running a CD7000 for over a year.

Alpine stacks up very well. Bass Engine Pro is great to see back. Sounds just a wee bit better than the CD7000 and im yet to tune with Imprint.

Far to early to make a firm call on just quite how good this unit is... The price is the part im still most amazed at.

I do feel though the Eclipse CD7 wins as a whole package but when Imprint / MultiEQ comes into play it will win hands down in SQ. But you cant change crossovers etc when its turned on.

Alot more hours in the car before i make my final call.

Sorry but how many people have one of these?

Babs
08-02-2007, 10:54 AM
But you cant change crossovers etc when its turned on.

Do you mean switching from 4.2 (conventional front/rear/sub) to 2.2 (Tweet/Mid/Sub)?? ... I imagine that's done as a hard switch at install to protect the tweets from accidentally getting popped by a full signal.

How do you like the build quality, CD mechanism and front faceplate?

Ignatowski
08-02-2007, 11:01 AM
4 volts and brownburr.........sounds promising
but Alpine has been in the crapper imo ever since the discountinued
the 9833/9835///////

billybrown66
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Its a good headunit guys. I've had it for a over a week after running a CD7000 for over a year.

Alpine stacks up very well. Bass Engine Pro is great to see back. Sounds just a wee bit better than the CD7000 and im yet to tune with Imprint.

Far to early to make a firm call on just quite how good this unit is... The price is the part im still most amazed at.

I do feel though the Eclipse CD7 wins as a whole package but when Imprint / MultiEQ comes into play it will win hands down in SQ. But you cant change crossovers etc when its turned on.

Alot more hours in the car before i make my final call.

Sorry but how many people have one of these?

Cool man.

bjayjr5679
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
mines shipped today.

sdmtnbiker420
08-07-2007, 03:23 PM
They have this unit in stock at wal-mart by my house for $17 less than Crutchfield.....

CrazedCat
08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
wtf

lyttleviet
08-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I was debating between this and the cd7100. I chose the 7100, hope I made the right decision.

whitemax
08-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I was thinking of giving this HU a shot when I first heard about it. I decided that my CD7000 offered more tuning options, so I would stick with it. Ofcourse this is not taking the imprint function into effect.

Ninteens
08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
I still love my CDA 9811.
Personally I don't need anything more right now.

Kevlar
08-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Mine gets here tomorrow (er, today now) from Crutchfield. I'll share my thoughts once I have it installed.

wesl56
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
sooo... in stock! and free shipping... anyone else get one?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3giksDM0gjS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=cda%2D9887&i=500CDA9887

sonicelectronix has it too now for $329

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9767_Alpine+CDA-9887.html

bjayjr5679
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
sooo... in stock! and free shipping... anyone else get one?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3giksDM0gjS/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=cda%2D9887&i=500CDA9887

sonicelectronix has it too now for $329

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9767_Alpine+CDA-9887.html

got mine from crutchfield today with a 20 dollar gift card because it was on back order. :yumyum:

whitemax
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Say what you want about Crutchfield's prices, those guys have great customer service. One of the reasons I keep going back to them.

Mustang01
08-10-2007, 04:15 AM
On page 1 in those pictures what is the last head unit listed?

wesl56
08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
On page 1 in those pictures what is the last head unit listed?

premier DEX P9

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4041_34724,00.html

Babs
08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Say what you want about Crutchfield's prices, those guys have great customer service. One of the reasons I keep going back to them.

I gotta agree..
They were the first (mail-order) and still the best.
They get retail, but you get retail service.
For something that I'd really want to purchase from a reputable authorized dealer for after-sale support if needed.. Crutchfield is it.

Hey anyone know about the Imprint tool.. I used to know the part#.. I imagine the wait for that thing will be as intense. Enough to make me reconsider the PXE-H650 (which they STILL don't have.. !!! :crap: The MS-8 is still in contention if Andy can keep hounding the harman engineers enough to get the bugs out. That's supposed to be a killer processor, but that's another subject sorry).