PDA

View Full Version : HD315 Installed

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Waited 2+ weeks for this thing to show up and only got a quiet listen since it was 2am when I finished it up.

I only took a couple of pics of the box build. 4.5^3 @35Hz, 76^2 port. Sub is dual 1.5ohm, so .75ohm off a Sundown 1500D.

First time I've done 45's on the corners.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/45/1001430tc8.jpg

Bottem bracing. Did strap bracing on all interior walls. Box seems very solid.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3425/1001431qp8.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:04 AM
BIG port.....

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4153/1001440vi3.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Putting the amp rack in place....

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2648/1001441we5.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Just after I slipped it into the trunk. Fit like a glove thanks to the test box I built out of 1x2's & scrap MDF...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8550/1001439vs2.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:07 AM
Amp in place...

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8224/1001442af5.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Dust on the camera lens FTL....

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4956/1001443lu2.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:09 AM
Pseudo triple baffle for flush mount. Not sure what the hell it's supposed to look like, but I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely different. The blue stain rocks in person, looks like water with the grain of the wood.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7628/1001444oz3.jpg

mr_kebo
05-16-2007, 03:14 AM
Thats a nice box you have there. Love the crackle effect

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Thats a nice box you have there. Love the crackle effect

Kit was $2 on Clearance, hard to pass it up :laugh:

SPL140.2
05-16-2007, 03:50 AM
looks **** :D

CJL
05-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Kit was $2 on Clearance, hard to pass it up :laugh:

Kit? You can get a simular pattern with seran wrap and paint..

Looks good BTW. :)

BigJoker
05-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Nice box Mike. let me know how it sounds.

blackbonnie
05-16-2007, 06:31 AM
realy nice build, let us know how it sounds

Immacomputer
05-16-2007, 06:53 AM
I would have loved to see the entire enclosure with the crackle effect. Looks good as it is too.

Ninteens
05-16-2007, 10:22 AM
the box looks great! I love the blue stain.
But I really would of filled the screw holes first. Or even better, glue and clamps.

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Crackle kit is just a can of enamel base coat and lacquer top coat. I thought about doing the whole thing that way, but they only had 2 kits left. Other places want $10 and it would have taken 4-5 I'm guessing.

Thanks for the props. I figured everyone would be hatin....

Got to crank it up some on the way in. Hits pretty hard and seems to be as loud/louder than the 2 RL-P's it replaced.

Will have more time at lunch today to demo some more music and see what I think. Do have a lot more vibrating/buzzing inside the car. Will need to add more deadener for sure....

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 11:46 AM
the box looks great! I love the blue stain.
But I really would of filled the screw holes first. Or even better, glue and clamps.

I actually like the look of screws on a stained box for some reason , so I left them showing :crazy:

tez4life
05-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Very nice install as always, really lookin forward to how it sounds. Great job!

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Got to demo a variety of music on the HD315 today. Overall I'm VERY happy with it.

SQ is not quite up to par with the RL-P's, but for being 1 vs 2 I'd have to say output is better.

I have a bunch of new rattles/vibrations, so more deadener will be going in. Rear package shelf will have to be screwed down I'm guessing as it's making a horrible flapping/farting sound.

Has a LOT of punch for kick drums which is what I like. On some songs with detailed bass guitar it's not as accurate, but turning down the remote gain seems to make it blend in better and sound more musical.

Will demo some newer rap stuff on the way back to work.

I give it an A+.....

msujeepaholic
05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Good lookin box man!! Hows the Q holdin up? Where are those rlps gonna go?;)

PatFitz9
05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
glad to see you finally got that thing. you will love it, it's a great sub.

and i got that oak box pretty much done, just gotta stain it :)

audiobahnuser18
05-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Nice box man love the crackle effect and the blue stain really sets it off nice work man.

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Good lookin box man!! Hows the Q holdin up? Where are those rlps gonna go?;)

Q is kickin nice, but I still need to bolt down the HUGE rear shelf in the GF's Cobalt as it smacks up & down when she plays it remotely loud. Did get some fender washers and self tapping screws, so it'll be done soon.

RL-P's are each in one of these monters. 10^3 @19Hz, beating the $hit out of my house!!!!

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/253/1001432gt5.jpg

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
glad to see you finally got that thing. you will love it, it's a great sub.

and i got that oak box pretty much done, just gotta stain it :)

Pat,

You going with red or red/black like we talked about? And I want a demo of that thing when it's done, so plan on heading up my way or meeting up somewhere.

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Nice box man love the crackle effect and the blue stain really sets it off nice work man.

Thanks! I seriously figured everyone would be hatin' big time on this thing.

TheFiverMan
05-16-2007, 04:34 PM
when can we see a video?

mlstrass
05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
After more listening time here's what I'm thinking. Sub sounds detailed/accurate at low/med volumes, but when I crank it up on some songs it just doesn't sound as good. Others it sounds fine and has PUNCH!!!!

BUT........at those volumes the car is shaking/vibrating/buzzing like a MoFo, so possibly that's the reduced SQ I'm hearing. Certain freq's in some songs just beat the car to death, and I think that's why I perceive it as reduced SQ.

Plan to deaden the he!! out of it (which I already did, but it needs more) and screw down everything that can move, but doesn't need to. I'm the king of self tapping screws :laugh:

Motley Crew -Kickstar my Heart sounds amazing

Company B - Fascinated (club mix) has ungodly punch to it.

Most songs with lower bass lines turn my car into a buzz box...for now anyway.

Very impressive single sub for a daily driver. Once I heard BigJoker's DD9515 I knew I had to have one, or something similar.

Another AQ fanboi :naughty:

Goldtaz1
05-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Where can you get the blue stain from and do you just simply start staining the wood or is there something that has to be brushed on before the stain??

sundownz
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
One possible answer for you on the volume issue...

If it is anything like the DD 9500 woofer that was DUMAX tested it has a very low linear x-max, which would increase distortion significantly at higher volumes. I know that the AQ drivers are similar to DDs in motor geometry so this is probably the case:

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/9515/DUMAX.htm

Very high BL, but a narrow peak.

mlstrass
05-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Where can you get the blue stain from and do you just simply start staining the wood or is there something that has to be brushed on before the stain??

HD for like $8 a quart and I didn't even use a pint on this box. They custom mix it for you, have like 50 colors you can choose from and it's water based for easy clean up.

Slap on some polyurethane after the stain and you're good to go.

mlstrass
05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Jake,

Thanks for the info. After more listening I still think it has more to do with the horrible vibrations I'm getting. First time I've had a rear firing sub in my car and I now need to add a LOT more deadener to certain places. The metal cutout where the back seats fold down sounds like it's being hit with a hammer, so the 2 layers of deadener just aren't cutting it. 3rd brake light bounces up/down about 1/2" and makes a horrible rattling sound.

Also I need to deaden the rear of the trunk and trunk lid. I think all of that will make a huge diff for songs with lower bass lines.

I'll have time on Saturday to take care of all that. Was considering adding a 2nd
1500D, but for now I think it's loud enough for this "old man" :laugh:

tez4life
05-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Jake,

Thanks for the info. After more listening I still think it has more to do with the horrible vibrations I'm getting. First time I've had a rear firing sub in my car and I now need to add a LOT more deadener to certain places. The metal cutout where the back seats fold down sounds like it's being hit with a hammer, so the 2 layers of deadener just aren't cutting it. 3rd brake light bounces up/down about 1/2" and makes a horrible rattling sound.

Also I need to deaden the rear of the trunk and trunk lid. I think all of that will make a huge diff for songs with lower bass lines.

I'll have time on Saturday to take care of all that. Was considering adding a 2nd
1500D, but for now I think it's loud enough for this "old man" :laugh:

Lol, your only as old as you feel. Nice build and review of the HD3. Also didnt get a chance to comment on the HT boxes for the RLPs, nice as well. With that lil review of the HD3, your making a hard desicion even harder for me (the next subs to use in my install).

mlstrass
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Lol, your only as old as you feel. Nice build and review of the HD3. Also didnt get a chance to comment on the HT boxes for the RLPs, nice as well. With that lil review of the HD3, your making a hard desicion even harder for me (the next subs to use in my install).

VERY happy with the HD sub as the output is a lot for a single sub. I've demoed a lot of music on it and happy with how it sounds on all of it.

Kick drums on 80's metal has PUNCH for sure. Newer rap just beats my car to death for now.

What other subs you considering? I've not heard much: Tempest, RL-P's, FI Q and I like the HD best out of all of them. SQ if fine for a daily driver and it gets LOUD when I want it to.

Old as in 43 and a gramps already. I'll have the loudest system at the senior home :laugh:

MY ultimate set up would be 2 12's and 2 Sundowns strapped, but didn't have the $$$ right now. Besides next vehicle will be something bigger, so I can add a second 15 and more power....

PatFitz9
05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
i think i'm going to do an all red stain on the box :) hopefully i can test some pieces this weekend and get the box done Sunday.

i'm still waiting on the amp, so when i get that in i'll let ya know.

mlstrass
05-18-2007, 12:54 AM
i think i'm going to do an all red stain on the box :) hopefully i can test some pieces this weekend and get the box done Sunday.

i'm still waiting on the amp, so when i get that in i'll let ya know.

Should look pimp as hell blood red. Box isn't that big, so probably won't need any accents to break it up. But I still like the idea of a gloss black front to highlight that silver cone.

Holler at me when it's done as I want a demo...

tez4life
05-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Just so much right now, def the FI Qs but at the same time I was planning on waiting to purchase a Sundown 3000 when its released. A pair of Q 15s was high on my list because of my current amps (2 Orion 1200ds) but I though if im going for the gusto, why not go all out and take it to another level? Thats what made me consider the BTLs or the HD3s. I just like my low end and didnt want to lose it with a tune as high a recomended by Audioque, but I heard that they play much lower than that.

If its (1) Sundown 3000d then its a pair of Q 15s with the BP option.

If its (2) Sundown 3000ds then its either (4) Qs 12s with the BP option, (2) 15" Fully loaded BTLs, or (2) 15" HD3s

And im 30 so hopefully plan to still be enjoying car audio this much when I get to your age my friend.

And I would not crank that 15 up too much around the senior center to much, might knock over somebodys tray with there dinner and pills LOL:laugh:

cha0
05-18-2007, 06:27 AM
just so you know you can run 2500W on that HD all day. so if you have the cash for the bigger or more amps, do it. AQ makes a sick driver.

mlstrass
05-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Just so much right now, def the FI Qs but at the same time I was planning on waiting to purchase a Sundown 3000 when its released. A pair of Q 15s was high on my list because of my current amps (2 Orion 1200ds) but I though if im going for the gusto, why not go all out and take it to another level? Thats what made me consider the BTLs or the HD3s. I just like my low end and didnt want to lose it with a tune as high a recomended by Audioque, but I heard that they play much lower than that.

If its (1) Sundown 3000d then its a pair of Q 15s with the BP option.

If its (2) Sundown 3000ds then its either (4) Qs 12s with the BP option, (2) 15" Fully loaded BTLs, or (2) 15" HD3s

And im 30 so hopefully plan to still be enjoying car audio this much when I get to your age my friend.

And I would not crank that 15 up too much around the senior center to much, might knock over somebodys tray with there dinner and pills LOL:laugh:

I can tell you that the HD is probably twice as loud to the ear as the Q in the GF's car. Not that her's is quiet, and mine is getting around 600+watts more.

My box is tuned to 35Hz as I was also not liking the idea of a 40Hz tune. I may build another box though, just to try it out at the higher tune. But the lows are SICK on this thing right now and plenty of SLAM you in the chest kick drums.

Just because the HD's will take 2000+ doesn't mean you'll need that much. Off a SD1500D at .75ohm it gets plenty loud for a daily driver. 2 HD's off a SD3000D should be STUPID loud and unless you want to compete I bet that would be enough power for them.

Not sure if the surround is loosening up or I'm just getting used to the sound of this sub, but man am I liking it. At lower volumes it just does it's job, adding subtle bass lines, etc... then lean on the volume and the beast comes alive. I had a 3/4 full can of pop in the drink holder last night and watched it slowly spin all the way around. Audio and visual entertainment :laugh:

Can't comment on the BTL's, but I'm sure they're also great subs. I just know I'm hangin onto this HD for a while as it's doing all that I wanted and more.

tez4life
05-18-2007, 12:57 PM
just so you know you can run 2500W on that HD all day. so if you have the cash for the bigger or more amps, do it. AQ makes a sick driver.

Yea, I had heard that but I was planning on running a pair of HD3 15s and I would have to find two more Orion 1200ds or a 2500. Plus, I have been hearing very good things about sundown audio and Im ready for something new and going all out.

mlstrass
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Spent 6+ hours ripping the rear shelf and all panels out last night. Added a bunch more deadener, and screwed everything down tight. Made a plate to bolt the 3rd brake light to the shelf also. Found out that the side panels up by the glass were rattling pretty badly as the factory metal clips didn't hold it down tight enough. A few long self tappers with rubber washers and it's quiet as can be.

Also did the trunk lid and elongated the latch holes, so the trunk closes VERY tightly now. Had about 1/2" of flex before and NONE now. Still have some vibrations in the trunk lid though. Have a can of Great Stuff, but I'm leary of warping the trunk lid, and it's a black car, so it'll show for sure.

Any tips on using the GS? Like how much it expands, etc...

mlstrass
05-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Get the non expanding type if your gonna do it.

Is that a lot harder to use to fill in all the impossible to reach places? I figured the expanding I could shoot through the few holes in the trunk bracing and it would get into everywhere.

With the non expanding I could probably drill some holes to help reach everywhere.