PDA

View Full Version : sound deadening

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I realized after I had sound deadedend my doors that really it wasnt even worth all of the time I put into it, because my CDT's are set to HP on my amp anyways, and crossed to 200hz so they are getting really no bass at all.

So is their a point in sound deadening if your just going to get bass from your sub and not your front speakers?

you can see the pictures and etc by looking at my posted threads pretty easy to find

iceteebone
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
so your subs are playing up to 200 hz.?

200 hz. is still midrange/midbass and a good deadening should improve that range. it also reduces road noise and can kill any backwave

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
also if I went active on my setup instead of passive, could I give my sub as much bass as I wanted and control the amount of bass that went to my speakers seperate? that way I dont turn my sub up and blow my speakers because they cant handle the bass. I guess the connections are going through the head unit now so by using a external device i should be able to do that correcT?

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
no my front CDTs are playing at 200hz and on HP on the kicker 650.4 I have. I dont know what my L7 is playing at but I know its low

iceteebone
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
also if I went active on my setup instead of passive, could I give my sub as much bass as I wanted and control the amount of bass that went to my speakers seperate? that way I dont turn my sub up and blow my speakers because they cant handle the bass. I guess the connections are going through the head unit now so by using a external device i should be able to do that correcT?

i'm really lost now. sounds like you aren't ready to go active. i'm assuming by bass you mean low frequencies

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Yeah I dont think im ready to go active with what I know right now, its too many RCA's and connections and **** and plus I dont have any money anyways, I was just simply asking if I went active could I control the amount of bass that my sub gets, and my speakers get. so that I could make my speakers crossover set to "off" and crossed at 80hz where I would have them if I didnt have a sub.

My cdts sound best when the crossover on the amp is off, and 80hz, but I cant do that with my sub conencted because when I turn up the bass on the head unit, too much bass goes to the speakers.

XanderMoser
05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
that way I dont turn my sub up and blow my speakers

I think you mean

that way I dont turn my bass up and blow my speakers

Like the bass on the head unit EQ, right?

If you go active you can either get a new HU with a crossover in it, or you can get a separate crossover. If you get a separate one, it would be difficult to adjust the subwoofer level when in the drivers seat. I don't know a lot about going active though, so someone else should chime in there.

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Right now my amp settings are as follows for my CDT-61a's

Freq: 200hz(as high as it can go)
Bass boost: OFF
Crossover: Set to HP

I only want my speakers to play the high frequencys because if not I wont be able to crank the volume especially when the bass is on because I have my L7 receiving alot of power, and im **** sure that the Cdts cant handle that much power(or its not recommended)

Which I remember when I didnt have my sub connected up and just had the CDT's that the midbass was pretty freaking good when it was set to off and 80hz instead of 200hz and HP

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 01:00 PM
I think you mean

Like the bass on the head unit EQ, right?

If you go active you can either get a new HU with a crossover in it, or you can get a separate crossover. If you get a separate one, it would be difficult to adjust the subwoofer level when in the drivers seat. I don't know a lot about going active though, so someone else should chime in there.

Yeah when I turn up the bass on the head unit like Bass 123456 etc, the speakers get more bass(obviously) thats why I have the cdts set to HP and 200hz so they dont really get any bass(well they get some but not nearly as much if it was set to off and 80hz) so its safer for my cdts and my sub can wang as loud as it wants.

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
any input would be appreciated, its pretty simple question acctually. I gotta get going though peace

chucku
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Im no expert, but you should be crossing over your mids at 80-100 hz. Adjust your amps and or eq , or get some midbass drivers. Your missing some serious freq there.

DejaWiz
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, you have a heck of a freq gap there.

Set HU EQ to flat for everything.
Set the sub for LP 80 Hz.
Set the CDT's for HP 80Hz.
Never turn your HU up more than about 75% of max.
Read the gain setting link in my sig.

Trey803
05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
your dumb....deadner and you want your hp on 200??????

krisfnbz
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, you have a heck of a freq gap there.

Set HU EQ to flat for everything.
Set the sub for LP 80 Hz.
Set the CDT's for HP 80Hz.
Never turn your HU up more than about 75% of max.
Read the gain setting link in my sig.

I dont turn my volume past about 35 on my HU and it goes to I think 66. Im giving my CDTS 120rms and I used a multimeter to do so, it was set on flat and everything.

I didnt realize their was a difference between 200hz and 80hz when the amp is set to HP, I guess that could work.

your dumb....deadner and you want your hp on 200??????

I didnt realize until after I did it. and stfu and get out of my thread

DejaWiz
05-15-2007, 11:21 PM
I didnt realize their was a difference between 200hz and 80hz when the amp is set to HP, I guess that could work.

You're going to notice a heck of a difference by doing so. ;)

MiniVanMan
05-16-2007, 12:35 AM
That's more than an octave of sound. That's a lot of missing music.

If you have access to a piano or keyboard, hit one note, then count 13 keys and hit that key. It's a huge difference.

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
You're going to notice a heck of a difference by doing so. ;)

I will definately be setting the front comps to 80hz now, while it remains on HP, by doing so my mids wont receive alot of bass right?

Pretty much Im trying to understand the whole HP,LP off crossover thing set on the amp. By setting your amp to HP, your giving your speakers mainly high freq, and by setting it on LP, low freq and off pretty much both of them, but I need to read more about this because it seems im missing out on alot of freq, while I go and read about it if soemone could sum it up quick that would be nice.

DejaWiz
05-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I will definately be setting the front comps to 80hz now, while it remains on HP, by doing so my mids wont receive alot of bass right?

Pretty much Im trying to understand the whole HP,LP off crossover thing set on the amp. By setting your amp to HP, your giving your speakers mainly high freq, and by setting it on LP, low freq and off pretty much both of them, but I need to read more about this because it seems im missing out on alot of freq, while I go and read about it if soemone could sum it up quick that would be nice.

Your mids will be operating within their designed specifications.

Here's a quick breakdown of the types of pass filters:

LPF = Low Pass Filter
...only allows frequencies LOWER than the cutoff point to pass.
example: Sub amp LPF set to 80Hz. Only 80Hz and lower will be sent to the sub.

HPF = High Pass Filter
...only allows frequencies HIGHER than the cutoff point to pass.
example: Comp amp HPF set to 80Hz. Only 80Hz and higher will be sent to the comps.

BPF = Band Pass Filter
...combination of HPF and LPF to allow only a determined frequency BAND to pass.
example: Band pass filter set for hpf 80Hz and lpf 4000Hz. Only frequencies between 80-4000Hz will be sent.

That's it in a nutshell, but it's not that cut and dry. Things like the cutoff slope need to be factored in, as well.

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Wow okay so with having my comps set to 200hz, Im missing out on frq from 80hz-199hz... yeah thats quite a gap.

Usually I listen to a variety of music but sometimes I like to listen to a deep bass song where I turn the bass on the HU to +4(+6 is max) so in theory the mids would receive these freq more right?

DejaWiz
05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow okay so with having my comps set to 200hz, Im missing out on frq from 80hz-199hz... yeah thats quite a gap.

Usually I listen to a variety of music but sometimes I like to listen to a deep bass song where I turn the bass on the HU to +4(+6 is max) so in theory the mids would receive these freq more right?

It should be okay to use some bass boost for them.

Also.....
Your 5900IB HU has 3 sets of Preouts (Front, Rear, and Sub) and has individual sub boost control built in. Are you using this feature? See page 23 of your user's manual.

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
yes I am using all 3 rca connections. Im not sure what feature your speaking of. I dont have the user manual with me right now, maybe the website has it so I can download it to see what your talking about.

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I was told to never use loudness, or to use the HPF in my head unit...

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I see what your saying now, I have been using the sub controls all of them except the 50hz, 63hz 80hz 100hz 125hz etc one.

DejaWiz
05-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I was told to never use loudness, or to use the HPF in my head unit...

You shouldn't need to mess with the HU's HPF for the interior speakers since you already have a HPF on your amp. The HU's LPF for the subwoofer control is a different story. Since you have the sub amps LPF set to 80Hz, just set the HU's built-in sub LPF to 80Hz or greater and then use the sub boost feature (0 to +6) to adjust the sub volume.

When a system is ideally imaged, you shouldn't have to ever use any EQ'ing on the HU. Doesn't mean you can't. Go for it and tune it to your own likings.

krisfnbz
05-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey thanks alot man I learned alot from this little bit of help.