PDA

View Full Version : Double Din Nav Units.

MemphisSoul4U
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Just bought a Tahoe, and I want to put a nav unit in it.
I've been looking at the Avic D3's and Z2's, I was just wondering what the pros and cons of these units were.
I already know some people prefer the D2's to the D3's because they have 2 drives, which allows the Nav disk to be in while listening to a cd, allowing for more detailed mapping. But the Z2 has the 30 gig HD which remedies that proble, but the price reflects that.
Any opinions on these two units or any other recommendations?
I want it to be all in one, nav, dvd, cd, and the ability to make dvd's viewable while driving may be the determining factor in buying. I know the D3's can be done, not sure about the Z series.

saj21187
05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
There isnt a bypass available for the z2 and i think the D3s bypass voids the warranty

MemphisSoul4U
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
There isnt a bypass available for the z2 and i think the D3s bypass voids the warranty

Don't know how they could tell, being that you're only switching a wire in the harness, then grounding another.
It could be undone simply.

saj21187
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Don't know how they could tell, being that you're only switching a wire in the harness, then grounding another.
It could be undone simply.

True, i would go with the D3 personally, just because the hard drive would be useless to me. I do believe the Z2s nav is more intuitive however, and the 7" screen is always nice.

MemphisSoul4U
05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
True, i would go with the D3 personally, just because the hard drive would be useless to me. I do believe the Z2s nav is more intuitive however, and the 7" screen is always nice.

I have been leaning more that way.
The nav on the Z2 is more pleasing to the eye, and it learns the routes you travel the most. One big plus to the Z2 is that 10 gigs of the HD can be used for music, but I doubt I would even take the time to rip music to it.
The other thing I like about it is that it has a full 7 inch screen instead of a 6.5. But the D3 can be had for roughly $800 unlike the Z series.

azbass
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
if you want good nav, pioneer is a way to go.

if you want good sound quality/ good nav. go eclipse

MemphisSoul4U
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
if you want good nav, pioneer is a way to go.

if you want good sound quality/ good nav. go eclipse

Are the 5510 series worth the extra few hundred?

saj21187
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I have been leaning more that way.
The nav on the Z2 is more pleasing to the eye, and it learns the routes you travel the most. One big plus to the Z2 is that 10 gigs of the HD can be used for music, but I doubt I would even take the time to rip music to it.
The other thing I like about it is that it has a full 7 inch screen instead of a 6.5. But the D3 can be had for roughly $800 unlike the Z series.

I personally never understood this feature. So the navigation will learn frequently traveled routes, but why would i need to use navigation for routes i am traveling frequently? As for the hd, i have a 30 gig ipod that i will probably never fill so that is good enough for me. I have an AVN6610 and looked at the z1 and z2 alot before i bought it, i just couldnt get over the lag the pioneer hard drive units have. It would be a huge inconvenience for me when going through artists on my ipod. Not to mention the eclipse units have a far superior equalizer compared to the pioneer units.

smd4life
05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
you can bypass a z1.....but atm it's not possible with the z2

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html