PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on replacing stock 6x8s

Headbanger
05-13-2007, 12:24 AM
I got a new truck and the stock am/fm definately needs to go bye-bye. My first problem is that the stock speaker sizes are 6x8 which seems like a weird size. I was looking to get some revs but I don't think they come in that size. What should I do?

msrpIZtooMUCH
05-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Cut the hole out and make/buy an adaptor that is cut to accept a 6.5 or 5.25 and mount the adaptor to the 6x8 location then mount the 6.5/5.25 to the adaptor.

Hoodlum007
05-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Pioneer Revs FTW!!:yumyum:

azimuth
05-13-2007, 03:22 AM
my buddy put some pioneers in his ford explorer. they sound pretty good.

rtillaree
05-13-2007, 03:25 AM
many people may disagree, but im not kidding when i say that the Boston Acoustics SL80's are AMAZING...they are loud and they are clear, they handle a good amount of power too...

Abell255
05-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Definately get the 6.5" comps, they'll have a bit more midbass most likely, and overall output should be a bit more then 5.25. You can buy an ABS plastic adapter a few places online, or make one yourself if you have a few tools and skillz. Now as far as reccomendations, i don't think that is our job right now honestly. First, search around for "6.5 components", things along those lines, and THEN and only then should you make a thread/ask questions regarding what speakers to actually get. Their are many many different brands of components we will reccomend for you, but your best bet is to search for awhile so that you won't get just a few, possibly biased, opinions on this thread only. It was a good question to ask, but now that you know most of us will agree on the 6.5" size/baffles/adapters, use that "search" button for awhile and we'll go from there.

Headbanger
05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Definately get the 6.5" comps, they'll have a bit more midbass most likely, and overall output should be a bit more then 5.25. You can buy an ABS plastic adapter a few places online, or make one yourself if you have a few tools and skillz. Now as far as reccomendations, i don't think that is our job right now honestly. First, search around for "6.5 components", things along those lines, and THEN and only then should you make a thread/ask questions regarding what speakers to actually get. Their are many many different brands of components we will reccomend for you, but your best bet is to search for awhile so that you won't get just a few, possibly biased, opinions on this thread only. It was a good question to ask, but now that you know most of us will agree on the 6.5" size/baffles/adapters, use that "search" button for awhile and we'll go from there.

If I go with the 6.5 adapter + components will there be enough room to mount the tweeter in it too?

Atimm693
05-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Tweeters are usually not mounted near the woofer, usually on the A pillar or the dash somewhere.

Trey803
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
is your new truck an f-150?

Headbanger
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes it's an 04 F150