PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency: 93dB vs. 87db

CFaber
05-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I understand how the efficiency rating is derived, however, can somebody give me a general idea of the sonic difference between a component set rated at 93db would compare to one rated at 87d, assuming same amplifier (same power/gain, etc)??

I'd really like to part with my Focal Polyglass 165v2's in an effort to try something with a silk or ring tweeter. A few that I'm looking at all have much lower efficiency ratings than my Focals. Just curious what the real world difference would be.

Thanks.

tbasile1
05-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey if ya want to part with those Focals, I might be interested!!

Gary S
05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
You really can't rely to much on efficiency/sensitivity ratings... many manufacturer's are not truthful... it's not against the law to lie about those numbers in car audio.

Also, you might not be comparing apples to apples... is the sens. measurement based on volts or watts, anechoic or in-car? How do you know if they omitted the info?

Plus, install and speaker placement will be more important.

You would be better off listening or at least going by reviews. Don't be a spec geek.

bass_lover1
05-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I understand how the efficiency rating is derived, however, can somebody give me a general idea of the sonic difference between a component set rated at 93db would compare to one rated at 87d, assuming same amplifier (same power/gain, etc)??

I'd really like to part with my Focal Polyglass 165v2's in an effort to try something with a silk or ring tweeter. A few that I'm looking at all have much lower efficiency ratings than my Focals. Just curious what the real world difference would be.

Thanks.

It's really pointless, because there is no standard for speaker ratings.

If you're amp is rated at say 2x100@4ohms, who cares which system has a higher efficiency rating, thats plenty of power for almost any component set.