PDA

View Full Version : Type X vs. SSCS 6

bushtree
05-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

What do you think would work better for me between 6.5" Alpine Type X components or Crystal SSCS 6 components?

I listen to rock mainly, and im am looking for SQ. I want a fairly soft tweeter, as my last components (MB Quarts) tweeters were way to harsh on the ears.

DejaWiz
05-12-2007, 12:36 AM
If you don't mind your speakers being a bit laid back in the midbass department but clear and accurate and have 75-100Wrmspc, go with the X's. If you're looking for strong midbass and have 130+ (emphasis on the +) Wrmspc, the SSCS6's should be your choice.

bushtree
05-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Im working with a Xenon 100.2 Amp...

Would the SSCS6's be good with only 100 watts? Or would they not reach their potential?

Also for the lack in midbass are the X's alot more clear then the SCCS6's? or not that much?

DejaWiz
05-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Im working with a Xenon 100.2 Amp...

Would the SSCS6's be good with only 100 watts? Or would they not reach their potential?

Also for the lack in midbass are the X's alot more clear then the SCCS6's? or not that much?

They would work fine, just not to their full potential.

Within the price range, there aren't many component speakers that will even match the clarity and accuracy of the X's IMO.

Gary S
05-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Aren't the X's about $50 more expensive? In that price range, I'd look at Cerwin Vega V-max, PPI 356CS, or Pioneer PRS first.

DejaWiz
05-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Aren't the X's about $50 more expensive? In that price range, I'd look at Cerwin Vega V-max, PPI 356CS, or Pioneer PRS first.

They (SPX-177R) are in the $180-200 range nowadays since they're being phases out for the new '07 X lineup.

720PRS would be a great choice.

Don't know anything about the V-max or PPI, got any links to reviews?

Gary S
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
720PRS would be a great choice

- Those too.

Don't know anything about the V-max or PPI, got any links to reviews?

- No, the V-max are not popular, and the PPI set is new and not popular. But I don't buy and recommend based on popularity, only value.

However, I know who the designer / consultant is... he also has been involved with Polk, Orion, Kicker, MTX, and a lot of other companies. The PPI are a step up from Kicker SS, and the Cerwin's are more like the old Vipers' with the metal tweet.

DejaWiz
05-12-2007, 02:59 PM
However, I know who the designer / consultant is... he also has been involved with Polk, Orion, Kicker, MTX, and a lot of other companies. The PPI are a step up from Kicker SS, and the Cerwin's are more like the old Vipers' with the metal tweet.

They sound very promising.

bass_lover1
05-12-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why everyone says the X's dont have good midbass, IMO they're a slight step below my current Peerless drivers in terms of output, and thats only because the Peerless are a true 7" whereas the Xs were 6.5".

Maybe the install you heard them in wasn't that great, because I know for a fact w/ a well deadened door, the Xs easily have enough output to play to 50hz cleanly w/o distortion.

DejaWiz
05-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't understand why everyone says the X's dont have good midbass, IMO they're a slight step below my current Peerless drivers in terms of output, and thats only because the Peerless are a true 7" whereas the Xs were 6.5".

Maybe the install you heard them in wasn't that great, because I know for a fact w/ a well deadened door, the Xs easily have enough output to play to 50hz cleanly w/o distortion.

I have the X's, and how they perform is very dependant on the install as well as how much power they are receiving (like all speakers, of course). In a well deadened door, they might have fairly low extention down to the 50Hz mark on less than or near rated power and some eq, but I certainly wouldn't run them tuned like so with a stronger amp (100+ Wrmspc) for long periods of time.

bass_lover1
05-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I have the X's, and how they perform is very dependant on the install as well as how much power they are receiving (like all speakers, of course). In a well deadened door, they might have fairly low extention down to the 50Hz mark on less than or near rated power and some eq, but I certainly wouldn't run them tuned like so with a stronger amp (100+ Wrmspc) for long periods of time.

I would, and did it for over a year. The set took power from my LP 2.2HV w/o a problem, which is anywhere from 200-250 watts RMS per side, and they loved it. Everything is obviously install dependent, but they definitely do not lack mid bass, when used properly.

DejaWiz
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I would, and did it for over a year. The set took power from my LP 2.2HV w/o a problem, which is anywhere from 200-250 watts RMS per side, and they loved it.

Hmmm, intriguing. I'm going to have to maybe incrementally send more power to the mids and see what happens.

jiggy2dmax
05-13-2007, 02:27 PM
For straight out SQ, I'd have to agree that the Type X's do sound a bit more natural than the SSCS6. As a overall set, I would prolly go with the SSCS6.

bass_lover1
05-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmmm, intriguing. I'm going to have to maybe incrementally sent more power to the mids and see what happens.

The Type Xs can really take a beating, they absolutely LOVED the extra power I had on tap, I'd still be running them active right now if I didn't break the tweeters by being a retard, and the driver mid wasn't destroyed in an accident I was in.