PDA

View Full Version : Really good SQ for a Type R

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Hey I'm looking for a box that will have really good SQ, period(as best as possible). I know sealed boxes are better for SQ def. but Type R's are made for ported boxes, so what should I do?(I like the open sound of a ported box because of how it lets the bass breathe mor naturally, but when you listen to as much metal as I do a ported box doesnt cut it the same for the fast double bass and such)

Can someone give me some plans to work with maybe? My dimensons for space are about 3 feet long by 1 1/2 tall. The trunk of a Grand Prix GT is pretty spacious, and those dimensions sound right. Someone help me out and get some closure on this enclosure situation!

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:44 AM
your not necessarily doing to lose SQ in a ported box, just dont tune it to like 20hz hehe. if designed and built right, a ported box will sound just as good as a sealed, but as you said, could possibly differ on sharp burps such as metal.

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 02:47 AM
well if i could get a ported box witht he SQ of a sealed that'd be perfect! I thought the lower you tune the better SQ you got? Anyone got any plans for me please?!

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:49 AM
is this a 12 or a 15? im guessing a 12. From what your looking for, i would probably shoot for around 2-3 cubes at 33-36hz. 12" r's seem to like right around 2.5 cubes and around that tuning.

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:50 AM
and any way you look at it, a type R is a type R. they are great subs for the price, but the SQ isnt going to blow your mind hehe. They will sound good, but they can get kinda messy at high volume.

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Yea, Im sorry its a 12" forogt to mention that. Getting around 800watts at 4ohms.

Im getting an amp soon to run it at like 900watts at 2ohms so itll be better.

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
can someone who knows how to plug in numbers give me some plans I guess for around what supergumby said. 2.5 cubes and like 33hz. I used to have one at like 30hz in my cadillac (huge box btw, it was like 3feet tall by 14inches) and it sounded great for everything but metal a lot of the time. I guess similar to that but a lil better SQ. I loved it and it hit hard as *****. I guess I'd like something like that again.

(p.s. does more or less cubes mean better or worse SQ?)

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
well yeah, most people with 12" type-r's like right around 2.5 cubes tuned to 34hz-ish.

Box guru's correct me if im wrong, but if you want better SQ, more similar to a sealed enclosure while staying ported, you would want to tune higher in order to make less airflow than tuned lower, correct?

if this is correct, then ya might want to tune a lil higher than 34 if your really really really stuck on SQ heh. personally, i think you should be fine right around 2.5cubes and around 34hz

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:58 AM
moe's plans, 2.5@32

http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png

i would help you out, but im just learning how to calc this stuff out and would probably mess up heh

Supergumby5000
05-11-2007, 02:59 AM
give this a try:

http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/PortedBox/index.html

SeaKid
05-11-2007, 03:09 AM
I thought tuning lower is for more SQ and higher for SPL.

rpfuror
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
hmmm... to speak (type) basically... The lower that you tune the box the better the driver will preform on the lower notes before the it hit the tuning freq.

I would doubt that any music people would be listen to in there car (maybe Jazz or Classical) would go anywhere lower then say 28-30Hz.

So as you tune the box higher you are just increasing the cut-off freq that the driver can be controlled efficiently. Below the cut-off the output will be attenuated a couple of dB.

Also, you really don't want to tune much lower then the drivers rated Fs value.

The type R is really not a SQ driver IMO. If you want the increased gain of a ported box and the control (for the lack of better words) of a sealed, you can always build a bandpass box or design a specific ported box based on the Ts parameters. Either way you'll should use WinISD to model this to double check that you not going to have problems.

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I know they are not the best SQ but they are **** good for the $$ and they hit hard! Bandpass boxes def. have the worst SQ. Ill check out those plans for 34hz, i've seen that to be a popular tuning as well. Any hardcore box builders out there that have something to say about what I should do? What is a sub that you guys would also say is a hard hitter + SQ? Probably lookin for a 12. Let me know, thanks!

HighOnFire
05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Also, what would ti sound like if I build just a bigger sealed box? Like bigger than usually recomended. right now i have it ina Q-logic box with the ported baffle on. I haven't used the sealed one since I first got it.

rpfuror
05-11-2007, 04:48 PM
you need to plug the TS parameters into winisd and look at the graphs to get a clear picture.

BTW... not say the type R is the right driver for a bandpass but, if a bandpass is designed correctly you get the best of both worlds with in the passband freq. IE you will get the control of a sealed box and an increase of output of a ported box.

The problem is that most BP boxes either have a very narrow passband, designed incorrectly or the lower tuning of the pass band is to high... making them fat boxes only good for certian freq.

mlstrass
05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
As mentioned, you need to model some enclosures/tuning freq's in winisd and shoot for the flattest response with no peaks or valleys. That "should" have the best overall SQ, but will more than likely be down a few dB from a higher tuned fart box.

Personally I'd ditch the R and get something that has more of a rep for SQ if that's what you're really after...

PV Audio
05-11-2007, 06:36 PM
your not necessarily doing to lose SQ in a ported box, just dont tune it to like 20hz hehe. if designed and built right, a ported box will sound just as good as a sealed, but as you said, could possibly differ on sharp burps such as metal.I have a subwoofer tuned to 17hz and it's the cleanest I've ever heard.

Immacomputer
05-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Everybody who says that Type-Rs cannot perform well in a sealed enclosure are wrong. It may not be what they want but it will perform very nice in a sealed enclosure.

You may like it in a smaller sealed enclosure with a net volume of about .75-1.0 cubic feet.

If you want more output, you could also go ported and it will still be able to sound nice but the frequency response will be different. 1.75 cubes tuned to 28hz should be a nice SQ alternative that will keep up just fine with any double bass you throw at it.

I could design either enclosure for you if you like, just tell me which one you would prefer.

The sealed enclosure will have a nice transient response and should blend well with your front speakers. It won't have the same low end output that the ported enclosure will have though. The ported enclosure should have nice transient response as well but will have more output from about 25-40hz. And yes, there is material in rock music that low, it's not just for rap like people think.

PSturmer
05-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Everybody who says that Type-Rs cannot perform well in a sealed enclosure are wrong. It may not be what they want but it will perform very nice in a sealed enclosure.

You may like it in a smaller sealed enclosure with a net volume of about .75-1.0 cubic feet.

If you want more output, you could also go ported and it will still be able to sound nice but the frequency response will be different. 1.75 cubes tuned to 28hz should be a nice SQ alternative that will keep up just fine with any double bass you throw at it.

I could design either enclosure for you if you like, just tell me which one you would prefer.

The sealed enclosure will have a nice transient response and should blend well with your front speakers. It won't have the same low end output that the ported enclosure will have though. The ported enclosure should have nice transient response as well but will have more output from about 25-40hz. And yes, there is material in rock music that low, it's not just for rap like people think.

actually the type R is no good ported. i have a one cubic foot box i use for testing.

PSturmer
05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
make sure you dont tune it to low. i made an enclosure for a friend and he wanted sq and i tuned it to 30. he has a 15 R. it sounded good but it didnt get loud. i recently made the same enclosure @ 34hz and what a difference did it make in output.

Immacomputer
05-12-2007, 11:02 AM
actually the type R is no good ported. i have a one cubic foot box i use for testing.

You mean sealed? You may not like it sealed but that does not mean it cannot sound nice sealed for somebody who has different tastes than you.

I have heard many Type R setups with some sealed and some ported. While I prefer the sound of them ported, they can still perform well sealed.

HighOnFire
05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Imma, def. if you could give me some plans based on all that I've said it'd be awesome. Go for whatever you think is best but I want it ported.

I had my R in a tiny 1 cube box and it didnt sound to awesome, it was just too tight and I missed the lows from a ported box when I needed them. Metal is always going to sound not to phenominal with subs so I've learned to deal with it and I can usually EQ it out if I get frustrated so its cool.

I listen to other stuff, but the bulk of what I listen to is metal, however I do <3 my system when I listen to Doom. Dooms is extremely slow VERY bass heavy metal. It is incredible. Especially when your blazed :fro:

Thanks to everyone for there input. I Hope this turns out well. Imma PM me I guess with the plans!

T3mpest
05-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Imma, def. if you could give me some plans based on all that I've said it'd be awesome. Go for whatever you think is best but I want it ported.

I had my R in a tiny 1 cube box and it didnt sound to awesome, it was just too tight and I missed the lows from a ported box when I needed them. Metal is always going to sound not to phenominal with subs so I've learned to deal with it and I can usually EQ it out if I get frustrated so its cool.

I listen to other stuff, but the bulk of what I listen to is metal, however I do <3 my system when I listen to Doom. Dooms is extremely slow VERY bass heavy metal. It is incredible. Especially when your blazed :fro:

Thanks to everyone for there input. I Hope this turns out well. Imma PM me I guess with the plans!

That means your doing something wrong

PV Audio
05-12-2007, 05:43 PM
actually the type R is no good ported. i have a one cubic foot box i use for testing.Um...:eyebrow:

Immacomputer
05-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Try this one on for dimensions:
http://i10.tinypic.com/4qdcjr7.png

If it won't fit, let me know your max dimensions.

req
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
your not necessarily doing to lose SQ in a ported box, just dont tune it to like 20hz hehe. if designed and built right, a ported box will sound just as good as a sealed, but as you said, could possibly differ on sharp burps such as metal.

yes actually.

yes, yes a ported box will always sound different. well. i should not say always, because a 6th order bandpass is technically a ported box.

so in rudementry format, lets contemplate.

sealed; usually exibits a smooth rolloff at lower octaves and little to no peaks in the frequecny response. in theory, usually can play lower frequencies without causing the driver harm. so in total, usually a better blend to any stereo. but not suited for efficent SPL in a daily driver.

ported; usually exibits quite large peaks around and above Fb. rolls off quite a bit faster at lower octaves starting just below Fb. in theory, below Fb, driver is not capable of lots of power because the excursion can (and usually will) hit its limits, and will not play these frequencies very loud. thus the need for a subsonic filter. these boxes get louder than sealed.

so thats why - IN A NORMAL DAILY DRIVER - (excluding all abnormal conditions\people\weird ideas to be brought forth) a sealed box will yield better SOUND QUALITY

because sound quality is not JUST how good it sounds to you, but how good it sounds to pink noise and a RTA. flat response = sq, peaky response = spl.

there you have it.

ported box = peaky response = suited for people who like more bass than anything and spl

sealed box = smooth low end rolloff = suited for a balanced stereo = easier for sq

THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS - but we are talking about a ******* alpine type r. so get over it.

rpfuror
05-12-2007, 10:53 PM
THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS - but we are talking about a fu*ing alpine type r. so get over it.

That was what I was getting at many posts ago... just didn't phrase it so elegantly.

hatemonger
05-12-2007, 10:59 PM

^^i agree here^^ i have 2 sealed in just a little under 1 cube a piece and they sound good and get pretty loud. i would probably go with about 1.2 a piece in hind sight, but 1 cube does fairly well. sounds good with any kind of music. i listen to alot of metal and some hip hop. i'm satisfied.

Immacomputer
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS - but we are talking about a ******* alpine type r. so get over it.

Yep, my IDQ RTAs better with a ported enclosure than it does sealed. Its low end is really lacking sealed. The poster may be experiencing the same thing with the Type-R when he had it sealed.

Also, a small sealed box can be very peaky with many subs.

PSturmer
05-13-2007, 02:21 AM

lol i mean there no good sealed.

HighOnFire
05-13-2007, 11:48 PM
That means your doing something wrong

or it means that some metal bands, especially the ones I generally like, dont fancy a lot of bass in their recordings, or like their music mixed a certian way. You run into a lot of bad mixes being a metalhead. it happens. A lot of metal drum recordings dont have hardly any bass on their mix because they like that "sounds like im playing my bass drum on a plastic practice pad" sound. (I.e. early lamb of god, unearth, any death metal band, any true blackmetal band)