PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Great SQL

michaelsil1
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm new to Car Audio and I've made some expensive mistakes. I'm considering removing the rear speakers and Bi Amping the fronts with the Passive Crossover. I listen to Classical as well as Jazz and Country. Is this the right direction as far as learning the intricacies of fine tuning or just another waste of time and money? Sound Quality is the main objective.

Igno
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Active would give you more control than passive I believe, may be wrong sure the pros will chime in, I may be dumb here but how is biamping with the passive crossover going to give you more control? would you not have to have 2 crossovers per side?

DejaWiz
05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Active would give you more control than passive I believe, may be wrong sure the pros will chime in, I may be dumb here but how is biamping with the passive crossover going to give you more control? would you not have to have 2 crossovers per side?

Nope, if the passive xovers for a given set are biampable, that means there are 2 inputs as well as 2 ouputs per mid+tweeter pair. 4 channels total would need to be utilized.

Although if the inkling is there, definitely go active.

michaelsil1
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
The crossover is biampable, I don't believe I'm ready for active crossovers yet there's still a lot I don't know. I have a four channel Amp 4x150 is biamping the next step?

DejaWiz
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
The crossover is biampable, I don't believe I'm ready for active crossovers yet there's still a lot I don't know. I have a four channel Amp 4x150 is biamping the next step?

I would. Just watch the gains unless you know for certain the comps (esp. the tweetwers) can take that much power.

If you click the gain setting link in my sig, there's an example of biamping comps.

Igno
05-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I would. Just watch the gains unless you know for certain the comps (esp. the tweetwers) can take that much power.

If you click the gain setting link in my sig, there's an example of biamping comps.

I see where this gives him more power to each component, but he is still crossing at the same frequencies, so more power but about the same control? I guess it depends on what amp you have hmm maybe I will learn something

chucku
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
You gain more controll as you can set the gains of each driver, there is 1 channel to each speaker, so you can turn the tweeters down independant of the mids and vise versa. You cant controll crossover points though like with an active system.

DejaWiz
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I see where this gives him more power to each component, but he is still crossing at the same frequencies, so more power but about the same control?

I guess it depends on what amp you have hmm maybe I will learn something

Compared to an active setup, biamping passives is still less control because the crossovers are kept at a set frequency instead of adjustable and the power is going directly from the amp channel to each speaker instead of through the passive xover.

Igno
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I just thought unless he was lacking power he could almost tune as well with attenuation?(I was getting the gain part) wrong again I am sure, plus if power is an issue won't he gain a little going active, because than the amp only amplifies frequency range it is sent thus making it more efficient

thx all for answers

DejaWiz
05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes, an active setup is generally more efficient than passive.

michaelsil1
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I can't attenuate my tweeters any farther and they are still a little too bright, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of biamping.

DejaWiz
05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I can't attenuate my tweeters any farther and they are still a little too bright, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of biamping.

Biamping will certainly let you do just that.