PDA

View Full Version : Midbass really lacking in germs...

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
First of all, i LOOOOVE my germs, they sound great, im just not getting the midbass I desire. I've heard factory systems that have more midbass, so i know my expectations arent too high. Im feeding them 150w a side. I'm sure its an install/wiring issue because ive heard nothing but great things about them. the only thing i haven't done is put them on baffles, but i doubt baffles will make that much of a difference. Doors are deadened with dynamat extreme (before i knew about secondskin, forgive me:suave: ) and holes are covered.

Hpf is set around 70hz and i tried experimenting with it, but had no luck as far as midbass output is concerned.

I have no clue how the crossovers were hooked up because I didnt install myself. One thing I know, is that the tweeters polarity are reversed because of the distance between my mid and tweeter. I wonder if the mids were also wired out of phase, therefore causing no midbass? I'll check the crossover tomorrow, but my mids do move though, it just seems like they have no punch.

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated:) :) :)

WantedIsHere
05-10-2007, 12:34 AM
why do you have a hpf on for your comps that have cross overs? i would check the install before posting...

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 12:43 AM
I read that in another post, but then this was posted, pretty much saying leave it on

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2876163&postcount=29

slick rick
05-10-2007, 12:45 AM
you cant compare stock systems to Germs because typically stock systems play fully range. However, give the Germs some time to break in..do you have a pic of how they are mounted? Install is key...

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 12:48 AM
ive had my germs for months.......i have a pic but i dont have my usb cable to transfer it until my new one comes in the mail. they are mouted on the metal though. i will get pics up as soon as my cable comes in

also, another question. on my amp it has the filter switch (low or high), then next to it, it has a mono switch that says on or off. If its switched to off that means my filters are off correct? Sorry im a *******, im trying to learn though. I'm still new to this ;)

konechiwa
05-10-2007, 12:49 AM
why do you have a hpf on for your comps that have cross overs? i would check the install before posting...

he has a hpf on so they don't play full range. The crossover point is somewhere like 3-4000hz. i doubt he's gonna hp the germs their.

I don't think the mono switch has anything to do with the filters. Normally it's like LPF, Full Range, HPF on the little switch.

Also, I'd mount them to baffles. It'd only take a little time to do so, it's easily a day project. Just get a small piece of 3/4 MDF, cut a hole for the speaker and screw holes, and screw it into the metal. Bam.

Even if you have dynamat, those speakers are going to be vibrating pretty hard if their just on a super thin piece of aluminum (or steel? iron? i don't know what's in cars...)

6spdcoupe
05-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Just check your polarity. Id be 99% sure thats the culprit. If you dont want to go into the doors you can do it at the amp. Just reverse the wires on One of the outputs.

POLKAT
05-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Just check your polarity. Id be 99% sure thats the culprit. If you dont want to go into the doors you can do it at the amp. Just reverse the wires on One of the outputs.

I gained gobs of midbass with my Exclusives when I reversed the polarity of the left one while keeping the right one the same. Play around with all of the polarity combinations.

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 01:46 AM

That was what I wanted to hear:)

Ill try swapping the speaker wire positions on one side tomorrow and see what happens.

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
update: swapped the wires, got a LITTLE bit better, still not what im looking for. i cant fit baffles in my doors either, its almost too much of a squeeze anyway. my subs overpower them anyway, so its not a MAJOR issue

nismos14
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Did you switch the polarity on both mid's or just one? Try doing just one if you did both.

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
just one

my understanding is if i switch both then im not doing anything

nismos14
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Yup you're right.

So what are all of your settings at? EQ? Crossover slope?

Your filter setting on the amp/or headunit should be hpf/hp and around 60/70 hz and off on the other source, either the HU or the AMP depending on what one you want to utilize.

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Yup you're right.

So what are all of your settings at? EQ? Crossover slope?

Your filter setting on the amp/or headunit should be hpf/hp and around 60/70 hz and off on the other source, either the HU or the AMP depending on what one you want to utilize.

bass was at 0 on deck, but i set it to +1 and no clipping, so i'm keeping it at +1. my deck crossover ***** so i have it turned off. the hpf on the amp is set around 60-70 hz. how do i check the slope? sorry im still learning.

nismos14
05-10-2007, 11:39 PM
bass was at 0 on deck, but i set it to +1 and no clipping, so i'm keeping it at +1. my deck crossover ***** so i have it turned off. the hpf on the amp is set around 60-70 hz. how do i check the slope? sorry im still learning.

Because the HU hpf is off don't worry about the slope. You may want to play around with the bass a little more on the headunit... +3 or 4 shouldn't really do any harm...

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
i did that, and they hit much more harder, but it clips the signal, so then i turn them back down. i can also hear the mids being stressed

nismos14
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
How do you know it's clipping?

SlickCMRick
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
i have a clipping indicator on my amp and it goes nutssss

i set my gain at 0, so if i add more bass on the eq its just going to clip because the gain wasnt set with the bass at +3

nismos14
05-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Hmmm....

6spdcoupe
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
i have a clipping indicator on my amp and it goes nutssss

i set my gain at 0, so if i add more bass on the eq its just going to clip because the gain wasnt set with the bass at +3

Give me a shout tomorrow and Ill try to give ya a hand via phone..

6spdcoupe
05-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Hmmm....

Anything to get that count up huh? Bored of the Org this evening?

:p:

SlickCMRick
05-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Give me a shout tomorrow and Ill try to give ya a hand via phone..

thanks, the only problem is i wont get home from work until 4:30 my time (7:30 pm in NJ) and then i have a couple other things to do after work. I'm off on Saturday, will that be convenient for you?

6spdcoupe
05-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Thatll be fine. If Im unable to get to the phone just leave me one and Ill give ya a call back..

nismos14
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't that clipping indicator need to be on solid for it to be an issue?

SlickCMRick
05-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Wouldn't that clipping indicator need to be on solid for it to be an issue?

nope, on my amp it just blinks

nismos14
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
**** man, I think it's time for more power ;) hehehe.

WantedIsHere
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
doubt it, he has 150w to them already... has to be an install error

nismos14
05-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Well if they sound better when he turns the bass up and his amp is clipping he needs more power. OR a line driver or something to raise the voltage.

SlickCMRick
05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
update: got more bass by playing with some polarity configurations......its gettin there, still not where i want it though. now its possible my expectations are too high......but at least im getting some midbass now

slick rick
05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Did you fix how they are mounted?

SlickCMRick
05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
no, i cant mount them on baffles or else they will hit my door panel...but im sure that will help tremendously

slick rick
05-13-2007, 02:04 AM
no, i cant mount them on baffles or else they will hit my door panel...but im sure that will help tremendously

it will hit the window, or the speaker grille in the door? Maybe try a 1/2" spacer?

edit: 2.5k posts...maybe I need to retire this 6 year old handle.

SlickCMRick
05-13-2007, 02:36 AM
it hits the grill in the door panel....

3.5Max6spd
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Have you addresed this issue?
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232416

SlickCMRick
05-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Have you addresed this issue?
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232416

yes, i had to grind the door down. i was thinking maybe an air leak after that was done, therefore lack of midbass, but i havent looked into it yet