PDA

View Full Version : Material needed for a box

kombat96
05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Im getting set to build a sealed box for my 12"Q. this will be my 1st time...lol so i would like to do it rite or rite as possible. could you that have built boxes/enclosures help me....what materials are good choices to use. ie glue, screw, speaker terminals, & when done sealing it or varnish i dont want to carpeting i'll sand the hell out of it to show off the nice grain. give me some options please point me in my journey. :suicide:

kombat96
05-09-2007, 07:22 AM
also a compound to seal the inside if you use 1

helotaxi
05-09-2007, 09:08 AM
The best material to build it out of from a cost vs. performance standpoint is MDF. Assuming that you have the tools you need the only materials that you need are a sheet of MDF and wood glue (Titebond, Probond, etc...). If your cuts are straight, you won't need any additional sealer beyound the glue. I usually glue and clamp the panels and then run a bead of glue down the inside of the joint to seal it.

MDF doesn't have a "grain" though. People have stained it in the past and IMO it's looked horrible.

WantedIsHere
05-09-2007, 09:10 AM
looks like he wants to go with a natural wood finish.... i would stick to mdf if you havent made many boxes and worked with lots of ply wood. Birch is hard to work with and the edges chip really easy on the cuts against the grain...

kombat96
05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
The best material to build it out of from a cost vs. performance standpoint is MDF. Assuming that you have the tools you need the only materials that you need are a sheet of MDF and wood glue (Titebond, Probond, etc...). If your cuts are straight, you won't need any additional sealer beyound the glue. I usually glue and clamp the panels and then run a bead of glue down the inside of the joint to seal it.

MDF doesn't have a "grain" though. People have stained it in the past and IMO it's looked horrible.

im tool set, any i deas as to how to make the box look cleaner as as stain or painting, like i said i dont want to carpet it.

WantedIsHere
05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
we kinda need to know the look your going for.... natural wood grain correct ? if just flat then mdf would be great... never the less some good wood glue and a tube of some GE #2 calking to match desired finish would be wise... as well as wood putty to fill holes and gaps. Then you need to decide if you want to use a finish nailer and brad the box together or if youwant to use screws. If you use screws counter sink them and fill with a dowell... i did this and it looks quite nice. Ill have pics up when i finish my box. I'm doing a partial cover and partial natural finish...

kombat96
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
we kinda need to know the look your going for.... natural wood grain correct ? if just flat then mdf would be great... never the less some good wood glue and a tube of some GE #2 calking to match desired finish would be wise... as well as wood putty to fill holes and gaps. Then you need to decide if you want to use a finish nailer and brad the box together or if youwant to use screws. If you use screws counter sink them and fill with a dowell... i did this and it looks quite nice. Ill have pics up when i finish my box. I'm doing a partial cover and partial natural finish...

I dont want to carpet it. so i thought maybe a stain or paint possibly, if anyone could suggest some other options maybe throw me a pic or 2 ideas also of what they have done. want something unique (sp) different. no carpet no fiber, just a cosmetic thing

lilmaniac2
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
birch is much easier to work with than MDF, as long as you have the right blade on the saw ;)

tigerf117
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Balsa wood would definitely be unique..... hmmm, unique would be about the only good thing you could say. Im really sorry, but this is a total noob question, MDF? particle board is the same thing?

aaronmiiller
05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
If your looking for a nice finish on mdf, try using flat black primer, use multiple coats and then use regular black spray paint over that with multiple coats, looks good to me. Someone else might have a better suggestion though as far as what paint to use?

kombat96
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Balsa wood would definitely be unique..... hmmm, unique would be about the only good thing you could say. Im really sorry, but this is a total noob question, MDF? particle board is the same thing?

never said i was an expert. ill be using mdf, what i am looking for is a different way to finish it..ie stain paint etc.. :rolleyes:

tigerf117
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh no, that definitely came out wrong. I wasn't saying you were asking a total noob question, I apologize. I had some weird sentence structure, and I was kind of thread jacking. What I was asking is if mdf is the same as particle board? If not, what is MDF?

:edit: sorry for thread jacking - I love parrots.

WantedIsHere
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
mdf is not the same as particle board. it is made of finer saw dust and different chemicals. It is more dense therefore making it better for building speaker boxes. It is also more expensive... to answer the last question MDF is medium density fiberboard

WantedIsHere
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Chad, care to share what type of blade works wonders on birch with a cross grain cut ? i have tried about 4 blades all chip it... i would love to find one that doesnt...

Blunt
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
use a nice expensive cross cut blade don't skimp on the tools you'll regret it.

2000Gator
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
how much does a sheet of mdf cost and would it be enough for say a 4cube ported box for 2 12"s just as a guesstimate

PV Audio
05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197899

69420potsmoker
05-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Q for people with sealed box building experience:

Have you tried putting egg carton foam in the enclosure behind the sub? or deadner?

PV Audio
05-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Deadener doesn't do anything for dense wood. Egg crate foam does help to reduce some standing waves and clear up your bass response.

69420potsmoker
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
would it decrease or increase are like polyfil? I dont know what the hell polyfill is anyway im just curious

helotaxi
05-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Polyfill is better than foam. The foam in a sub enclosure is rather pointless. The wavelengths involved are so long that standing waves in the enclosure aren't an issue. Home cabinets benefit from the foam because you're usually allowing the woofer to play up into the midrange. Not so with a car sub.

For the OP, I have painted my last two MDF boxes with very good results. Round over the edges. Sand it all smooth, blend the seams, etc... Spray it with high build automotive primer, heavy on the end grain so it fills the end grain with primer and can be sanded smooth. For the first box (pics in my gallery) I sprayed it with SEM texture spray followed by satin black. On my newest box, I sprayed it with Rust O Leum hammer finish black with some trim pieces done in hammered silver. The result was really nice.