PDA

View Full Version : comps similar to alpine x's

Civic96Lx
05-09-2007, 12:21 AM
so i just found out i most likely can't fit a pair of x's in my doors (without making an mdf baffle : /), so what is a comprable settlement for the speakers?? also need to be able to run active, soo.. any suggestions??

i was looking at the rainbow cls 265's....

zSnb
05-09-2007, 06:41 AM
make the mdf baffle and call it a day. no reason to waste the money.

DejaWiz
05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
^ Agreed. The X's are great comps.

///M5
05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Terrible idea to install comps without an MDF baffle. It would be a sure way to turn a nice set of comps into crap *** normal junk.

meinbeast
05-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Polk SR series components

I believe they both use the ring radiator tweeter

The Polks use a Neo Magnet and have a shallow mounting depth......and they sound amazing

Gary S
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I would make a baffle board.

However, Orion HCCA 6, MTX TXC, and Cerwin Vega V-max 65 are shallow mount and will have competitive sound to the above.

DejaWiz
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I would make a baffle board.

However, Orion HCCA 6, MTX TXC, and Cerwin Vega V-max 65 are shallow mount and will have competitive sound to the above.

..And likely have more aggressive midbass if that's what you are wanting. The X's are known to be very clear and accurate with output, but a little "laid back". I have a set and love them, but they are certainly not for everyone.

Hintzyboy
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
The new Memphis comps look really nice. Mounting depth is 2.6"

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5262

Abell255
05-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah man, fab some s hit up and call it a day. The X's are great speakers...don't take our f'in words for it, you bought the beasts. Install them, tweak them, and go on your **** way listening to some serious SQL. I'm sure you've done your reading on them, no need for us to explain the good/bad on them since you purchased them already. I can vouch as many others already have though, that they are great speakers with amazing clarity at high levels. Lazyness is hard to overcome, but get off your ***, spend a few hours fabbin', and get those X's in and i gaurantee you will be happy. If for some odd reason you **** up and do a bad install, or don't like the sound of them in general, which happens on occasion, atleast you tried and didn't completely waste your time/money. You can always ask all of us a million questions about ideas/plans for your doors/pods if you need to man, that's what we all are here for.

DejaWiz
05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah man, fab some s hit up and call it a day. The X's are great speakers...don't take our f'in words for it, you bought the beasts. Install them, tweak them, and go on your **** way listening to some serious SQL. I'm sure you've done your reading on them, no need for us to explain the good/bad on them since you purchased them already. I can vouch as many others already have though, that they are great speakers with amazing clarity at high levels. Lazyness is hard to overcome, but get off your ***, spend a few hours fabbin', and get those X's in and i gaurantee you will be happy. If for some odd reason you **** up and do a bad install, or don't like the sound of them in general, which happens on occasion, atleast you tried and didn't completely waste your time/money. You can always ask all of us a million questions about ideas/plans for your doors/pods if you need to man, that's what we all are here for.

QFT!!

Hoodlum007
05-11-2007, 10:47 AM
The Alpine X series comps are great sounding speakers. i had a hard time getting them to fit my install because of the huge magnet but my buddy has them and they rock!!

Civic96Lx
05-13-2007, 01:07 AM
when trying to make a baffle what size mdf should i use??

Abell255
05-13-2007, 03:34 AM
when trying to make a baffle what size mdf should i use??

Well, your problem is they are too deep correct? Set them in their hole, and give it a rough estimate as to how much of a spacer you need. Obviously make sure they won't sit out too far and hit the cover panel, but i'd say 1/2" or even like 1/4" might be fine for you. If you can, use some sort of deadening around the speaker's enclosure/baffle, if you can't afford to do the whole door.

Hintzyboy
05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Just use 3/4". Adds more mass to the panel (better for deadening) and you can always use a sheet for building a new box sometime down the road.