PDA

View Full Version : Sealed / port conversion for fi q

innsanes
05-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Is it possible to build a box that is ported using a tube and using a close port end to then make it a sealed box? I like the idea of tuning it at 34 hz for rap and then closeing the end to make it a sealed box for trance. will this work?

jmanpc
05-08-2007, 04:17 AM
it would either be mediocre at both, or really good at one and not at the other. just go ported. ported boxes can sound good. just size it properly and tune to like 28-30hz if you want great low end extension and clean output.

phyphoestilic
05-08-2007, 04:21 AM
seems possible, only problem is usually the smallest ported enclosure is bigger then the recommended size for a sealed enclosure. But if u find a way to seal it off completely i guess it could kinda work.

innsanes
05-09-2007, 12:00 AM
it would either be mediocre at both, or really good at one and not at the other. just go ported. ported boxes can sound good. just size it properly and tune to like 28-30hz if you want great low end extension and clean output.

For trance i wanted the fast kick drums that is why i wanted to use it for sealed also.

jimbob069
05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
What you could do, Is make a ported box with optimum volume, with a round PVC port, then when you go to a sealed setup, run the longest possible piece of pvc into the box and cap it on the inside, if you wanted you could also put elbows in the pieces to take a corner so you could take up even more volume inside the box.

If I were in your situation I would just make an IDEAL ported box tuned in the low to mid thirties. Because taking up the volume of the box isn't a big deal at all, If it came down to it you could make a block, stacked pieces of MDF glued together and have it velcroe in there to take up the volume.

Sometimes you CAN have the best of both worlds, it just takes more work and thinking sometimes.

~jim~

Trixter
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM
the only way to do it properly would be to find a happy medium between ported and sealed. the box would have to be a small ported one. this would allow for long port(s). when these ports are sealed their volume, minus their material of construction, will become part of the box's volume.

say you have a box that it only 2cu' but tuned to 32Hz it would need 2 4" ports that are 30" long. but seal the ports and now you have aprox. 2.4cu' box.

you can do it, but you have to play with the numbers.

innsanes
05-16-2007, 07:24 PM
the Fi q spec for a 10 is around .2 to .6 sealed and .5 to 1.2 cf tuned to 33 hz, I'm thinking about making the box around 1 cf ported with the port extended outside the box, and when i want it to be sealed i would just put a closed end cap on it. Making the box around .8 cf. Will this be too large of a sealed box? what would happened if the sealed box be bigger than the recomended size?

04_edge
05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
i think youd be fine with porting it, my btl keeps up with fast kickbass (ie: old trivium/shadows fall) pretty well. and with the q being more SQ oriented it should fine IMO