PDA

View Full Version : Best budget cd player..?

desertheat
05-08-2007, 01:13 AM
What are your opinions.? Looking to spend $400 or less on a nice peice of equipment but all I can find is either combo dvd / cd players or chinease audiophile units such as shanlings............ Anyone run anything different or somthing they really like for less cash..?

Russkels55
05-08-2007, 01:21 AM
ill sell you an alpine cva 1005 screen and dvd/cd player model number dva 5200 for $400 plus shipping

1loudsuv
05-08-2007, 02:04 AM
ill sell you an alpine cva 1005 screen and dvd/cd player model number dva 5200 for $400 plus shipping

home audio man.... well i think its in the home audio seciton :wow: :laugh:

desertheat
05-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah home audio man sorry! I have car audio more than covered haha.

Russkels55
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
sorry my bad duah

envengineer
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
A while back I picked up a used Rotel 971 for about $300 and I have been very pleased with it.

joetama
05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Used Rotel, Arcam or you can probably find some Cambridge Players for that price. They always seem to get awesome reviews.

What is the rest of your system?

desertheat
05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Cd player = XXX
Pre-amp = Trancendent sound grounded grid
Amplifier = LM4780 Audio sector chip amps
Speakers = Monitor audio gold reference 10's "building zaph zd5"
Cables = all custom made non super fancy units :)

Not all equipment is done, but building as it is going to be my new reference system. Also still looking at adding in two small subs to the mix as the room is decent size which makes just the two ways sound a little thin.

I think I am going to end up with a shanling scd-300 which is a very nice solid state cd player, one of the few shanlings that are not all tubed up :) I love tubes but have no interest in a cd player with them built in

1loudsuv
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
me i dunno the sq on the oppos but they play super audio cd,dvd audio and dvds and cd's all of that for under what your looking to spend which i think is a steal

joetama
05-08-2007, 08:11 PM
With that system I would defiantly go with a Arcam, Cambridge, or a Shanling.

You might have the best luck with the Shanling actually. The Arcam might be a bit to warm.

I am also guessing that you are going to be using the analog outs on the CD Player?

desertheat
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Correct, analog outs straight to the preamp. Will be less than a 16" run to the preamp and then from the preamp less than 10" to each amp. Trying to keep it all VERY minimal, every single portion of it.

Just posted this up to see what people would bring up. never know! Like the oppos. I did not know anything about them until this post. I am not super home audio brand savvy and do not read magazines so I would probably never know about them unless I ran across them on a forum. Good stuff :)

joetama
05-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Oppos are good... But just don't hold the bar too high for them. I've go the DV-981HD and have mixed feelings about it.

desertheat
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Cool. Yeah I think I will stick with the scd-300 shanling.. Can snag a silver faced version online shipped for just under $500.... is darn pricey for a cd player to me "I am a budget DIY guy" but will be a nice investment.

joetama
05-09-2007, 01:50 AM
I don't think you will regret that purchase... :fyi:

thylantyr
05-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I am not super home audio brand savvy and do not read magazines

You made alot of progress already .... by not reading home audio magazines....

:)

There is nothing worse than those mags if you want to learn about sound.

desertheat
05-12-2007, 03:11 AM
me i dunno the sq on the oppos but they play super audio cd,dvd audio and dvds and cd's all of that for under what your looking to spend which i think is a steal

Hey thanks man, I have been looking for a new DVD player to replace my old warn out upconverter toshiba unit.. Unit has been good but even with cleaning now she has a hard time with music cd's for some reason now. It has been used so much that the buttons are moon shaped were the plastic has warn through hahaha! So tonight to replace her in the HT to sit below the old PS3 I bought the DV-981HD I really appriciate the advice on that! Reading the reviews, she is a heck of a bang for the buck. Still getting the shanling for my listening pleasure though :)