PDA

View Full Version : Dash or door

robob2
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I have a 2007 Camry that I will be upgrading factory speakers to component speakers. The factory setup includes 6x9's in the door with tweeters in the dash. Which is better:

1. Keep the tweeter in the dash.
2. Mount both in the door where the 6x9s are.

One problem with mounting in the door is the factory grill is small, even for a 6x9.
It may be difficult to get both the tweeter and mid to have the see through part of the grill in front of them. Part of the woofer may be blocked. Would this be terrible?

I really want to keep the factory look as much as possible.

Thanks!

60ndown
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
generaly the sound will be better if the tweeter is close to the woofer. there are many 6x9s available that have the tweeter mounted in front of the woofer. id use 1 of that design, and if the sound is too low down because all the sound s comeing from the bottom of the doors, try to find a small midrange 2" and squeeze it into the dash tweeter location? it all depends on how you want your car to sound?

1.just nice and clean and loud

2. clean and loud with an 'image' (image = sound in front of you, not by your feet)

helotaxi
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't get 6x9s first off. Get 6.5" components and make an adapter to fit them in the 6x9 cutouts. Mount the tweet on the adapter as well.

60ndown
05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Don't get 6x9s first off. Get 6.5" components and make an adapter to fit them in the 6x9 cutouts. Mount the tweet on the adapter as well.

^ depends,

on what he wants,

6x9s give a lot more midbass up front, and if he doesnt want to go the whole hog ($2000 install)

6x9s can provide excelent sound and ALOT more midbass than a 6.5 comp set.

robob2
05-06-2007, 09:48 PM

I would like to make an adapter for the 6.5" component, but I have the problem of the grill screen ( which is part of the door) being a 5x9 oval and wonder if not having open screnn in front of the entire 6.5" will be a problem.

robob2
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
^ depends,

on what he wants,

6x9s give a lot more midbass up front, and if he doesnt want to go the whole hog ($2000 install)

6x9s can provide excelent sound and ALOT more midbass than a 6.5 comp set.

I am looking for SQ and plan to do the install myself.

helotaxi
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
I would like to make an adapter for the 6.5" component, but I have the problem of the grill screen ( which is part of the door) being a 5x9 oval and wonder if not having open screnn in front of the entire 6.5" will be a problem.

The cone on a 6.5 is usually only around 5" anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

robob2
05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
The cone on a 6.5 is usually only around 5" anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. I still wonder if there will be room to mount the tweeter and have it have an open air passage to the driving compartment. Is it possible to mount the tweeter in front of the 6.5" woofer?

60ndown
05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks. I still wonder if there will be room to mount the tweeter and have it have an open air passage to the driving compartment. Is it possible to mount the tweeter in front of the 6.5" woofer?

yes on many speakers they come mounted.

helotaxi
05-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Yep. Not too difficult if you're handy. You can just build a bracket out of heavy gauge wire to suspend the tweet in front of the mid. Another option is to look at the CDT Braxial line. It's a proper component set with the tweet on a side mounted bracket that lets you aim it to some degree.

robob2
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Yep. Not too difficult if you're handy. You can just build a bracket out of heavy gauge wire to suspend the tweet in front of the mid. Another option is to look at the CDT Braxial line. It's a proper component set with the tweet on a side mounted bracket that lets you aim it to some degree.

Thanks for this info. Is there any drawback to placing the tweeter in front of the main driver?

helotaxi
05-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Possible slight coloration in sound of the mid but if you offset the mount so it is really close to one side any possible effect will be minimized.

BlackMaxima
05-09-2007, 02:48 AM
post some pix of the door and the speakers.

couse i plan on putting the twets on the door right above the door handle.

Hintzyboy
05-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Check out the new Memphis M Class comps. the 5.25" set comes with an adapter plate to mount both the mid and tweet in a factory 6x9 location. The 6.5" version might too, but IDK.

Eugenics
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I would definitely go with 6.5 comps. Oval speakers such as 6x9's tend to have uneven power response, they usually aren't designed correctly, and uneven forces tend to introduce a bit of distortion especially at the outer limits of power handling.

Memphis does make some comps with coaxial tweet mounts (thats the term i'm looking for i think), JimJ seems to have liked his and i'd recommend seeing if he has any input. He's one of the more knowledgeable members on the forum.

I'd also recommend you look at the Type X's in addition to the pioneers. Perhaps in the future you could get a crossover and put horns on the 25watt channels (they'd be screaming) and then drivers like the daytons or possibly some seas on the 100 watt channels. You could keep your factory look and still have a lot of options as far as sounds. As far as starters though the type x's and pioneers look like good options, but i have experience with neither so take it for what its worth.

azbass
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
i would get a new car :)

TerryMorgan
05-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Definetly would want to put them as close to the mid as possible. But as others reccomended, I wouldn't do 6x9's (Although there ARE some good 6x9 components out there...) because 6.5's in general are more widely available and you have more models and brands to choose from.

Gary S
05-14-2007, 04:08 AM
Most coax mounts are going to have frequency problems. However, there are some new convertible components on the market where the tweeter can be mounted coaxially, which are designed to give a flat response.

Some of them are: The new XS series by Image Dynamics (coming out anytime now), PPI 356CS, Cerwin Vega V-max 65, and Polk SR series.