PDA

View Full Version : alpine, pioneer... panasonic?

CSU
05-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I havent had a system in my car for a year and a half now, so I figure it is time to get to work. I have some concept amps left over from a previous install, and a brand new RE SE 10 to work with. comps will be bought later. obviously, given what im going to install, im not looking for the loudest or best sounding system, just an upgrade from stock.

im looking to start with a headunit, which will primarily be used to control my ipod, and pay a total of around $250. ive looked around, and it seems buying authorized through Crutchfield is my best bet since I need a dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adaptor, which would be free (buying seperately would be $50, negating any advantage ebay/unathorized has). shipping would also be free. sounddomain does not carry the dash kit for my car (2006 subaru legacy), so I cannot take advantage of their price matching or getting all the install stuff for free, and the generally lower prices than Crutchfield. also, for most units, i would need the $30-50 ipod control cord, which needs to be factored into the total price.

given all of that, ive narrowed my search down to 4 units (feel free to suggest others):

1. Alpine CDA-9883 ($230 shipped for everything)

2. Panasonic CQ-C7105U ($250 shipped for everything)

3. Pioneer DEH-P5900IB ($250 shipped for everything)

4. Pioneer DEH-P6900UB ($270 shipped, more if i need a longer ipod cord than came with the ipod)

ive used all of these brands in the past, and couldnt really complain about either. i went to some stores yesterday to mess around with them, and came away with the following observations...

The alpine face looks a bit cluttered since it has so many buttons. This isnt a huge deal to me, but the wife thought it was hideous lol. Also, it might be hard to browse songs on the ipod since it doesnt have a multiline display.

The Pioneer displays look clear and bright.

The Panasonic display was actually gray, not blue like in the pictures, which might make it hard to read on a bright day?

Like I said, I will primarily be using the headunit to control my ipod, so ipod functionality is very important to me. do any of these units excel or are horrible in this department?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these units, or suggestions on what i should choose? I am leaning toward either a Pioneer or the alpine. if i go Pioneer, im torn between the 5900 and 6900. i see the 6900 has a usb port in the back, and higher voltage outputs, but im not sure if its worth the extra $20, especially if i still have to buy an ipod cord (another $30).

helppppp . thanks!

btlking
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM

99StangGt
05-06-2007, 02:49 PM
6900 is 230 from circuit city. Thats the one i would pick from that list

CSU
05-06-2007, 03:05 PM
thanks for the input. functionality wise, is there any difference between the 5900 and the 6900 (when only being used to control an ipod or play a cd)? cuz i know i can score the 5900 with everything for $250 shipped, but the 6900 would be around $270 shipped if i get the longer cord.

im kinda interested in the alpine because of the lower price, and because you can use the preset buttons to skip through long lists. anyone have an alpine player??

CSU
05-06-2007, 03:34 PM
also... i see the 6900 comes with a 59" USB cable with female USB type-A plug on one end and a male USB type-A connector on other end. is that just a USB extension cord (that I could plug my ipod usb cord into), thus meaning i dont need to buy another ipod cord?

99StangGt
05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Yep its a usb extension I think you will still need a CD-IU50 to hookup the ipod. wonder if you could just use the ipod cable that comes with the ipod to hookup to the computer.

CaliforniabOY5
05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Yep its a usb extension I think you will still need a CD-IU50 to hookup the ipod. wonder if you could just use the ipod cable that comes with the ipod to hookup to the computer.

indeed you can however you'd have to control everything from the ipod. . . with the adapter you control it through your HU

99StangGt
05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Never mind. Pioneer has more tuning capabilities then the alpine

CSU
05-06-2007, 03:54 PM

that is what i was hoping...

indeed you can however you'd have to control everything from the ipod. . . with the adapter you control it through your HU
youve tried it? that doesnt make sense to me, since its just plugging into the ipod through usb. if you have tried it, that *****....

CSU
05-06-2007, 04:20 PM
after checking crutchfield, it seems like my idea should work. here is what it says about the additional adaptor made for the 6900:

Overview: The CD-IU50 is an interface cable that allows you to plug your iPod into a Pioneer head unit with a USB input (uBus control). It is virtually the same USB-to-iPod cable as the one that comes with your iPod, allowing you to leave your original cable at home.

so... i should just be able to use my original cable, and not spend another $30?

99StangGt
05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I might try it later today. I have a 6900 in my garage, just have to wait till my daughter gets home with her ipod.

CSU
05-06-2007, 04:29 PM
that would be awesome. thanks man!!

CSU
05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
one more question about the 6900.... there seems to be alot going on with the rotary knob. do you all find yourself executing a command you didnt mean to give when trying to change tracks (or do anything), or get frustrated by it, or anything? i think its a cool idea that the most of the functions can be done from a single knob, but im just wondering how well it actually works when you are driving/etc.

99StangGt
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok I hooked up a 2nd gen Ipod that I used with my old 880 with the ipod adapter that worked great. Anyway it says n/a usb and doesnt do anything. The ipod starts charging and says dont disconnect. It says in the manual : when using an Ipod with dock connector, ipod dock connector to usb cable required. Then it says after that: pioneer cd-iu50 interface cable also available. for details consult your dealer---- this unit controls the ipods listed below ------ ipod nano or 5th generation or later firmware ver. 1.3 or later. then says it can control older gens with the cd-ib100II

Anyway it makes it sound like it would work with a newer ipod and standard cable or you can get a pioneer cable.

CSU
05-07-2007, 09:30 PM
thank you so much! i have a brand new ipod nano, so it sounds like im good to go. i just ordered the 6900 from sounddomain for $208 shipped, and the dash kit/harness/antenna adaptor from crutchfield for $50. cant wait to hook it all up! thanks again!