PDA

View Full Version : IB or small enclosure??

msrpIZtooMUCH
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I have a pair of 8s and I would like to run them in the front doors in a new project of mine and I was wandering how to determine which would be best between making a fiberglass/plastic enclosure and running them IB in the doors??

Obviously the small enclosure would protect from water and what not and for that reason alone I am leaning towards that option, but from a performance standpoint how do I determine which option is best??

The speakers:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3340

Oh yeah, and I will be using a PG Tantrum 500.2 to run them..thats 125 rms of A/B power per speaker.

djdilliodon
05-06-2007, 12:11 AM
The cdt EF-8 will be a hit or a miss IB. To get the true performance from that driver a sealed enclosure will be needed.

msrpIZtooMUCH
05-06-2007, 12:37 AM
The cdt EF-8 will be a hit or a miss IB. To get the true performance from that driver a sealed enclosure will be needed.

How big of a sealed enclosure and what is it about the specs that tell you that?

The specs say powerhandling 200 watts, but how much RMS as I supposed to give it?

I tried calling CDT with these questions and all the guy there told me was put it in an enclosure or IB...whatever you want and feed it with whatever amp you want. If it seems like it's not loud enough, turn up the gain. I am not so sure this guy knows what he is talking about.

djdilliodon
05-06-2007, 12:48 AM
How big of a sealed enclosure and what is it about the specs that tell you that?

The specs say powerhandling 200 watts, but how much RMS as I supposed to give it?

I tried calling CDT with these questions and all the guy there told me was put it in an enclosure or IB...whatever you want and feed it with whatever amp you want. If it seems like it's not loud enough, turn up the gain. I am not so sure this guy knows what he is talking about.

First its a low Q driver so an enclosure will be needed and second i have run them many times before :) In some installs in a very well deadened door they did well with 100 rms but it is MUCH better when you seal them. Sealed you will also be able to run the full 200 rms with no problems. If your budget allows it you may also wanna look into the 06+. This driver will be easier to install as it is smaller and it is a lil beast! Which guy did you speak to at cdt ?

msrpIZtooMUCH
05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
First its a low Q driver so an enclosure will be needed and second i have run them many times before :) In some installs in a very well deadened door they did well with 100 rms but it is MUCH better when you seal them. Sealed you will also be able to run the full 200 rms with no problems. If your budget allows it you may also wanna look into the 06+. This driver will be easier to install as it is smaller and it is a lil beast! Which guy did you speak to at cdt ?

I don't know who I talked to, but he had an accent...

And about the enclosure...how big should the enclosure be? I plan on using these for mid bass, so 60hz-175hz is what I am shooting for. Making the enclosure and installing it in the door with this speaker is not a problem. My only problem as of yet is figuring out how much power and what size enclosure. For power, with the amps that I have, my choices are 2 amps (PG Tantrum 300.2) each in 4 ohm mono each giving the speakers 300 rms OR 1 amp (PG Tantrum 500.2) in 4 ohm stereo giving each speaker 125 rms. Hmmmm...what to do?

Another question...if I use this speaker in a custom enclosure that is installed in my front doors, would it be necessary to deaden the doors?? It seems like it would be pointless, but I am not sure since I have never done this before...

Gary S
05-06-2007, 01:40 AM
My box program says .19 cubes is optimum, but you could go down to a 2/3rds size box, .125 without audible effect.

msrpIZtooMUCH
05-06-2007, 01:59 AM
My box program says .19 cubes is optimum, but you could go down to a 2/3rds size box, .125 without audible effect.

0.19 cubic feet???

Getting that small might be kinda tricky.

Gary S
05-06-2007, 02:21 AM
0.19 cubic feet???

Getting that small might be kinda tricky.

- well, I just posted an optimum and small box size... you can go bigger... sealed boxes are very forgiving. You are safe to make whatever size fits.

I can't guarantee it would sound better than infinite baffle... but i think it might... might also cut down on door rattles a little, and will probably handle a little more power. I would do it.

Damping the door will still help... you still have road noise to contend with... and the driver /enclosure is still attached to the surface of the door, and still wants to shake it.

Since you are going to enclose it, line the inside of the enclosure with one-inch foam rubber. It mostly helps reduce standing waves with midrange speakers... but it still may help somewhat with a midbass driver... and is so cheap to do, may as well do it while you are in that town.