PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of component 6x9's?

05fronty
05-05-2007, 07:49 AM
my front door speakers are 6x9's. do the component's sound any better? or would 6 1/2 components sound better?

DejaWiz
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
What's your budget and which 6x9 comps are you eyeing?

Louisiana_CRX
05-05-2007, 10:58 AM
You haven't heard componets till you heard a set of Digital Designs...6x9 componets.....They are awesome...the mid bass sounds like subs...the highs are so crisp and clear ...plus there is no bulky crossover to mount :) no worrys of it getting broke or wet in the doors or kicks....xo is built in...I have a set in my Tacoma doors ....and all I can say is wow...I've ran Boston Pro's....older MB Quarts....and some of the best JBL componets made...and nothing compares....they arn't cheap but they arn't over priced for what you get....I have a brand new set left I may get rid of...I don't think DD makes them anymore...not enough demand for them...

Gary S
05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Everything else being equal, a 6X9 component set can sound better than round.

The problem with 6X9 components is that there are not as many choices.

And if someone tries to claim that 6X9's have more distortion because of the cone shape, don't believe it, that's an old wives' tale... they don't know what they are talking about.

If I have time later, I'll look around and see what is available on the market this year... but I can tell you this.. the new Image Dynamics XS series will be one of the best for the money, and one of the best period. They are due to come out any week now.

Gary S
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I took a quick look... sonicelectronix.com has kappa and fosgate T series 6X8's.... and rainbow may have something.

Good: kappa

better: Fosgate

best : Image Dynamics

///M5
05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
While it is very theoretically possible to have the 6x9 be superior I have yet to hear a set that can compete with a well chosen round driver. Just because it can happen does not mean that it does.

Colt9699
05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I took a quick look... sonicelectronix.com has kappa and fosgate T series 6X8's.... and rainbow may have something.

Good: kappa

better: Fosgate

best : Image Dynamics

I run a set of JBL 6x8 comps in my van and they are amazing and can fit into a 6x9 hole with no worries.
Reasonablly priced as well.