PDA

View Full Version : germs sound like crap HELP!!!!

zx6r2002
05-05-2007, 12:14 AM
I just got my germs the other day and installed them in my 04 titan. i used the sound deadening in the doors inner and outer skins and put the foam stuff behind the speaker. i have a zx650.4 runnin the comps. its biamped. and i didnt adjust the crossovers, i hooked it up just like it came out the box. and my stock 6x9s sounded better. there is very little bass. the speakers movin but it just sounds like CRAP. whats wrong with them??? and im kinda new to the installin

konechiwa
05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
uhm, are they wired out of phase (polarity is switched)? Is the EQ all funky? Do you have a weird filter on your amp? (i.e. like 500hz or something insanely high?)

Check to make sure it isn't out of phase first. Or flip it.

zx6r2002
05-05-2007, 12:26 AM
i just have it wired to the amp. no filter on the amp. im pretty sure i wired them in the right polarity. should i switch them anyways and c what happens

funkyab
05-05-2007, 12:33 AM
A little GENTLE trial and error could never hurt!!!!!!!

konechiwa
05-05-2007, 12:38 AM
i just have it wired to the amp. no filter on the amp. im pretty sure i wired them in the right polarity. should i switch them anyways and c what happens

Well when i was doing my rear fill i didn't know which wire was positive and which was negative.

needless to say they sounded exactly as you described them. I flipped the wires around, and BAM they sounded x10 times better.

funkyab
05-05-2007, 01:03 AM
YES YES!!! Being GENTLE and doing soft trial and error can let you become almost as close to your equipment as a mother may become to her child.....

Of course being a bit sarcastic... but really. When testing everything, start small and listen to everything! No matter how small work with it and build up!

I was so frustrated when i staterd tuning my system (albeit on a boat in an open air environment) i wanted it to be sooo perfect but couldnt get that. There was always the "kink" in the system. And dealing with 12 speakers this became messy. Although it HURT so bad. I spent a half of a season tuning.
Some of my speakers that i had "in phase" actually sounded better "out of phase" in the open air environment.!!! Crazy!!! goes against EVERYTHING i have learned about audio!!

Guess the point is,,, Every installlation is different, every environment has variables and the true test is your ears!!!!!! The inportant thing is, of course,,, where are you happy (with your sounds that is) ... **** IT.... might take months to get it,,,, or years, but once you get it,,, even for a moment, that is what makes the sport worth it. At least for me...

STILL FIGHTING..........

Schuey2002
05-06-2007, 02:47 AM
I just got my germs the other day and installed them in my 04 titan. i used the sound deadening in the doors inner and outer skins and put the foam stuff behind the speaker. i have a zx650.4 runnin the comps. its biamped. and i didnt adjust the crossovers, i hooked it up just like it came out the box. and my stock 6x9s sounded better. there is very little bass. the speakers movin but it just sounds like CRAP. whats wrong with them??? and im kinda new to the installin
Did you cover all the holes in the doors?

zx6r2002
05-06-2007, 09:42 AM
i didnt cover all the holes in the doors. should i do that too. with the fiberglass? i tried switchin the polarity but that didnt do anything.

White Ram
05-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I would cover all the holes in the door. If your settings on you head unit and amp are correct the speakers might just need to be broken in. ;>)

helotaxi
05-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a combination of the door not providing a decent enclosure and one of the mids being out of relative phase at the listening position.

sundownz
05-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Are you using the stock head unit and an LOC?

Schuey2002
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
i didnt cover all the holes in the doors. should i do that too. with the fiberglass? i tried switchin the polarity but that didnt do anything.
You can use whatever; sheetmetal, screen door mesh, plexiglass, just use something to cover over them holes. Be sure to cover whatever you use with some deadener. :)

Edit: Read the Sticky at the top of this forum. And/or this >>

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ht

slick rick
05-06-2007, 03:25 PM
You should have plenty of bass...check the wiring on the x-overs they can be very tricky.

KaPPaBaLL
05-06-2007, 05:19 PM
You should have plenty of bass...check the wiring on the x-overs they can be very tricky.

Rich, can you send me a picture of how you wired your speakers for future reference when I get my Germs. Yours is biamped correct?

slick rick
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah...I'll take a pic this week for ya...took me a few times to get it right. :)

WhoSayWho?
05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
So you guys really think that his comps can sound as bad as he describes because he needs a more complete deadening job? Interesting.

slick rick
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM
So you guys really think that his comps can sound as bad as he describes because he needs a more complete deadening job? Interesting.

Funny how people blame it on the lack of deadening eh?

KaPPaBaLL
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM

from what I've learned here, it's all about setup.

WhoSayWho?
05-06-2007, 06:34 PM
from what I've learned here, it's all about setup.

Yeah, I hear that too. And I think that it most likely is the setup in this case -- just not the sound deadening portion of the setup.

WhoSayWho?
05-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Funny how people blame it on the lack of deadening eh?

Yeah, I have no doubt that you can improve the sound with proper deadening -- but it just doesn't seem like that it should go from this completely sounds like ****, to wow these are the great speakers I expected.

Just seems like there is a more likely explaination.

hurricanes0688
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
lol if you want you can always sell the germs to me...

sundownz
05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Deadening helps alot but most of the time it won't sound like utter crap without it. Weak midbass, maybe, utter crap... not likely that it is lack of deadening alone. Just set up my brothers' truck with a decent front stage and it has pretty good midbass without any deadening (6.5" Tang-Band subs as midbass) -- it will improve a great deal with deadening but it still sounds very nice!

zx6r2002
05-06-2007, 08:05 PM
k. well they still sound like ****. my stock 6x9 sounded better in the doors. im takin my truck to a local shop tomorrow and if they cant fix it then i will sell them. i just hooked up the crossovers as they came in the box, should i have changed stuff around?

slick rick
05-06-2007, 08:07 PM
k. well they still sound like ****. my stock 6x9 sounded better in the doors. im takin my truck to a local shop tomorrow and if they cant fix it then i will sell them. i just hooked up the crossovers as they came in the box, should i have changed stuff around?

Make sure the shop knows what bi-amping is...if you don't like them and wish to sell, I will take those crappy speakers from you for $200. :naughty:

zx6r2002
05-06-2007, 08:11 PM
i just paid 450 for them last wk. how should i hook up the biamp then. cuz i hooked it up just like it said on the cross over. from the amp to the cross, one channel to the L tweet, other to the L woofer, and other channel to the R tweet and other to the r woofer. then from there to the speakers. runnin a ddx7015 as the head unit, if that matters

slick rick
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Did you put the tweets one 1 channel and the mids on another? Try that and tune the gains, x-overs, etc.

DejaWiz
05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I explain biamping (kind of) in my gain write up linked in my sig.

KaPPaBaLL
05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
lol if you want you can always sell the germs to me...

fuggin took the words right out of my mouth

konechiwa
05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
i'll trade them for some high quality jensen speakers...their better then stock...so their better then your germs...to you! :yumyum:

the727kid
05-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I'll give you $200 for the midbass right now :D you could sell them tweeters n xover for $250 right away probally too lol n break even.

Rawr-DQ
05-06-2007, 11:50 PM
if you have cancellation, that'll make a big difference too, other than just sound deadeneding

WhoSayWho?
05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Man there just has to be something wrong with the way the amp or HU is set - or the wiring. Just a troubleshooting process more than likely.