PDA

View Full Version : Box design for Fi BTL

Wragold
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Whats the best design for a 15'' FI BTL? How many cubes at what frequancy? Would it need bracing?

rpfuror
05-03-2007, 11:37 PM
go with Fi's high recommendations 5 cu/ft @ ~33Hz.. you will be happy and yes bracing always helps if you have the space.

Wragold
05-04-2007, 12:13 AM
ok another question. I see guys put two layers of ply on there boxes would it be needed.

kickerlivinloud
05-04-2007, 12:16 AM
It isn't needed per say. It won't hurt either. If you properly brace the box you shouldn't need to do double thickness everywhere. However I would recommend you use a double baffle and some threaded rod.

Jon

kicker06
05-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Brace the box, and do a double baffle for sure.

Remember, if doing a slot port, the port itself is bracing. But you will still want more.

Wragold
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, i'll do double baffle and brace it. Yeah I was planing on doing a sloted port. Whats threaded rod? Is it just a dowl rod? What kind of wood is best and what thickness?

PhatTonyDeMarco
05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Ok, i'll do double baffle and brace it. Yeah I was planing on doing a sloted port. Whats threaded rod? Is it just a dowl rod? What kind of wood is best and what thickness?

Threaded rod is stainless steel rod with threads along the entire length, like a long screw. Wooden dowels would work fine though, if used properly.

MDF is the wood you will want, and 3/4" will be great. If you want to go the extra mile, Birch is much lighter and stronger than MDF but will cost a pretty penny...

Search and read the stickies in this section, it will help a lot when getting started.

Good luck.

Wragold
05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Threaded rod is stainless steel rod with threads along the entire length, like a long screw. Wooden dowels would work fine though, if used properly.

MDF is the wood you will want, and 3/4" will be great. If you want to go the extra mile, Birch is much lighter and stronger than MDF but will cost a pretty penny...

Search and read the stickies in this section, it will help a lot when getting started.

Good luck.

This will be my first system. I hate doing things Half A$$ed so I want to go all out, I might get the birch. I dont have enough room for the 18'' /cry. Well thank you I think thats all the questions for now.

kicker06
05-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Good luck.

Negative.

It's like $10 more for a sheet.

I will never use MDF again after using Birch.