PDA

View Full Version : 3000GT oil pressure and idle issue.

Meaven
05-03-2007, 01:53 PM
hi there. my 3000gt has this weird thing where when I idle, the oil pressure guage slowly falls to nearly nil. my old eclipse had this same thing happen, but it was never an issue. the car had no problems.

however, my GT is a different story. if i let it drop down and sit there for 2-3 minutes, then rev the engine to about 2.5k+ it blasts out a HUGE cloud of oil smoke. its burning oil a little bit, but not at an alarming rate. its just kinda lame to have such a hot looking car behave in such a poor looking way.

anyone know what could be causing all this?

Andocommando
05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
losing oil pressure=bye bye motor

or it just could be that its hot outside and the oil gets thinner.

Silver
05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
worn rings, guides, something is letting the oil pass the pistons and allowing it to burn thru combustion.

another idea is the PCV system in the vehicle. you may have a collapsed hose , missing vaccum line or plainly a bad pcv.

inspect and report back.

Meaven
05-04-2007, 12:39 AM
worn rings, guides, something is letting the oil pass the pistons and allowing it to burn thru combustion.

another idea is the PCV system in the vehicle. you may have a collapsed hose , missing vaccum line or plainly a bad pcv.

inspect and report back.

less horrific an answer then the first =P

i'll take a look at it. thanks a bunch, i'll let you know whats goin on when i find it.

jellyfish420
05-04-2007, 01:17 AM
how many miles? i'd agree w/ bye-bye motor. low oil press is (most likely) worn bearings...but worn bearings alone wouldn't blow smoke...
:bigwave: bye-bye

Meaven
05-05-2007, 01:35 AM
only 80k miles on it. and it doesnt Blast the cloud anymore or doesnt drop as low now that i did a syn oil change.

this is my first oil change since owning the car. i put 300 miles on it... maybe the previous owner was just a negligent assbag?

stones
05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Really old worn out oil will do exactly what you describe, that oil change you just did will most likely fix the problem.

(captain obvious to the rescue)

JohnnyChuttz
05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Sounds like the head gaskets are gone to me.

Silver
05-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Sounds like the head gaskets are gone to me.

Maybe if it was loosing coolant.

hollowpoint
05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
everyone has had good ideas to what might be happening. What I would do before ripping anything out and spending more money than need its Seafoam that shiznit and see what happens. If you do it, at first your like WTF did I do!? but let it keep going and itll end find. Read up on it as well. Heres a little run down on it http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm